Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite character?
Piper 14 10.61%
Alex 37 28.03%
Crazy Eyes 48 36.36%
Red 26 19.70%
Daya 7 5.30%
Taystee 8 6.06%
Poussey 11 8.33%
Nicki 16 12.12%
Miss Claudette 11 8.33%
Pennsatucky 3 2.27%
Sophia 8 6.06%
Yoga Jones 3 2.27%
Other - mention in the comments 4 3.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #21
PinkieLee

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
I need ya boo, gotta see ya boo

Thanked 13,087 Times in 3,051 Posts
PinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST Reputation

I watched the entire season in 3 days

For a day or so, someone had uploaded all the episodes to Youtube. Well, they got taken down. Of course I had to resort to signing up for Netflix's trial period and then canceled as soon as I finished!!
PinkieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PinkieLee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalipstic View Post
I watched the whole season in a week!

Parker, not dissing you about Big Boo, just amused that Butches seem to often not see each other. lmao.
Oh, I know you and Dykea were just teasing.

For the record though, my not adding her to the poll had nothing to do with me not seeing her or not seeing her as a butch - Lea DeLaria being on the show was one of the first things I noted about it!

But she was a minor character (we didnt see her a ton and they didnt show us her back story) and I figured if I started adding minor characters to the show, I would have to add ALL the characters - and there were over 25 of them!

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #23
ahk
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,579 Times in 2,649 Posts
ahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputationahk Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I watched the whole season in a week!

Parker, not dissing you about Big Boo, just amused that Butches seem to often not see each other. lmao.
I was going to say -- we watched it in 3 days.
Feeling all studly-- and then PinkieLee says the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkieLee View Post
I watched the entire season in 3 days

For a day or so, someone had uploaded all the episodes to Youtube. Well, they got taken down. Of course I had to resort to signing up for Netflix's trial period and then canceled as soon as I finished!!
ahk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ahk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #24
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

LMAO about Big Boo, minor character...grumble...Lol.

Ha, ank! You and Pinkie can both be OITNB studs!!

Love me some Netflix in general btw.

OK, so can we discuss favorite scenes, or is that spoilerish?

I think I'm about to watch it all again and memorize lines. Lol.

Last edited by Apocalipstic; 08-28-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Apocalipstic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Apocalipstic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #25
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Good gawd, I watched the entire season in a day and a half. Then watched it again lol I'm looking forward to season 2 but I'm thoroughly disappointed that Alex will be playing such a minimal role.

p.s. love Big Boo, but love Lea DeLaria anyway lol
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #26
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Yay! Dixie is ahead by 1.5 days!!

Can anyone beat that???

Old 08-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #27
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Does it count that I watched it in one day the second time? LOL
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #28
not2shygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
as a Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
under the cover of starry starry nights...enjoying a warm fire in the pit !

Thanked 2,454 Times in 546 Posts
not2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Default I hear ya!

I understand that time frame! Really though I had never heard of OITB until this thread. So I had to go look into it. I am also wondering why the media has not put this out there in a big way? Or am I that removed from social media?? I think it is a great show, characters, and the REAL dig down deep emotional stuff reflecting back to one's self. This is not just some hokey prison show, it stands all on its own! Can't wait for season 2!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie View Post
Good gawd, I watched the entire season in a day and a half. Then watched it again lol I'm looking forward to season 2 but I'm thoroughly disappointed that Alex will be playing such a minimal role.

not2shygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to not2shygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #29
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Does it count that I watched it in one day the second time? LOL
Heck Ya!

We have a winner!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2shygrrl View Post
I understand that time frame! Really though I had never heard of OITB until this thread. So I had to go look into it. I am also wondering why the media has not put this out there in a big way? Or am I that removed from social media?? I think it is a great show, characters, and the REAL dig down deep emotional stuff reflecting back to one's self. This is not just some hokey prison show, it stands all on its own! Can't wait for season 2!!
Oh My, hokey prison show? Lol. All prison shows are art! Gah. Lol.

Its been all over social media I thought, but what I follow is pretty queer or theatre oriented.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #30
Tangle

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme w/o the high maintenance
Preferred Pronoun?:
Two guesses ;-)

Tangle Has the BEST ReputationTangle Has the BEST ReputationTangle Has the BEST ReputationTangle Has the BEST ReputationTangle Has the BEST ReputationTangle Has the BEST ReputationTangle Has the BEST ReputationTangle Has the BEST ReputationTangle Has the BEST ReputationTangle Has the BEST ReputationTangle Has the BEST Reputation

Lol why do the poll results add up to 168+ %?

Being a nerd I guess-
Tangle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tangle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #31
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
OK, so can we discuss favorite scenes, or is that spoilerish?
I'm kinda funny about spoilers - in that I really dont care about them and if I was watching something for which I didnt want to see spoilers, I would stay away from threads or social media or articles talking about that show. I remember last season of Walking Dead, I kept all of the episodes and was going to watch them all at once, but I accidentally saw a spoiler about Lori getting killed and I was all, oh now I *have* to watch the season right now! lol

Seriously though, as far as *I* am concerned - discuss whatever you want here!

BUT -- maybe if we put **SPOILER ALERT** at the top of our posts if we are going to discuss a plot or something someone may consider a spoiler, then if someone wants to read the thread but stay surprised about what happens on the show, they can scroll past our post.

That should probably apply to those of us who also read articles about future plots, cast changes, etc and want to share those.

Quote:

This is what I did - I started watching it one afternoon, got about half way through before going to bed, and then finished it up the next day.

Then I got all sad because I didnt realize that they released all of season 1 at once and hadnt even started filming season 2 yet. lol

Now I am going to watch it again.

Oh and I love me some Lea as well - I used to watch her stand-up comedy on TV and I distinctly remember her from that episode of Friends when they had the lesbian wedding and she hit on Phoebe. lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #32
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,354 Times in 2,670 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Yay! Dixie is ahead by 1.5 days!!

Can anyone beat that???

Time went backwards when I watched it.

What are we talking about?

:justkidding:
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #33
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Ha! Chancie!! Yay!

Above smileys all in orange! Lol
Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #34
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2shygrrl View Post
No broadcast networks, cable network, or tv as we know (knew) it involved. This show and 'House of Cards' were produced specifically for Netflix and released for binge watching intentionally.

2nd season of OTNB is filming now.

These shows are in a new class of video entertainment being called 'original online only web television'.

Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #35
Guy

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,574 Times in 889 Posts
Guy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST ReputationGuy Has the BEST Reputation
Default are you kidding me?

I watched part of an episode, yes only part, because I found it to be so totally against what this site promotes! I find it interesting that there are so many feminists and "lesbian pride" women on this site that would promote a such a show that shows lesbian women in a negative mindset. As far as talking to other women about their "pussy tastes so good", how to have sex, having a "prison wife".
Prison life is being glorified in this show, and you are ok with lesbians being shown in this light? I am completely shocked by the reactions on this thread about the show, and the excitement displayed of seeing lesbians portrayed in this manner. I for one, won't be watching.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #36
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I watched part of an episode, yes only part, because I found it to be so totally against what this site promotes! I find it interesting that there are so many feminists and "lesbian pride" women on this site that would promote a such a show that shows lesbian women in a negative mindset. As far as talking to other women about their "pussy tastes so good", how to have sex, having a "prison wife".
Prison life is being glorified in this show, and you are ok with lesbians being shown in this light? I am completely shocked by the reactions on this thread about the show, and the excitement displayed of seeing lesbians portrayed in this manner. I for one, won't be watching.
I know, I know! Lol. I get all that

But it cracks me up. Maybe because I see myself in so many of the characters.

For me, its relevant, hysterically funny and even heartwarming. It holds nothing back. I know those people. It speaks truth.

Last edited by Apocalipstic; 08-28-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Apocalipstic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Apocalipstic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #37
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
The arteest formerly known as musicfemme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Thanked 32,098 Times in 6,125 Posts
candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow In response to Guy:

Interesting. I don't find the show to be anti-feminist, anti-lesbian, or anti-woman at ALL. As a matter of fact, it feels very REAL to me. I'm not sure it glorifies prison at ALL. Maybe if you watched more than one episode, you might realize issues like rape, transphobia, lesbian phobia, misogyny, racism, classism, drug abuse, and much more are dealt with.

I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about how good someone's pussy tastes, or about how to have sex, or anything along that matter. It seems sex positive to me rather than portraying lesbians in a bad light. I don't see where saying those things is misogynistic in and of themselves. Also--the stuff about having a prison wife? I'm pretty sure that's based in the realities of being in prison.

I also don't see where prison life is glorified. From what I've seen--prison is the LAST fucking place I'd want to be!!!!! However, I also think that women in a situation like that are of course going to form relationships and alliances and have successes and failures. I think their humanity is what is being shown.

I dunno, it's hard to analyze when you have only seen part of an episode, but I'm interested in what others think?
candy_coated_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #38
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
The arteest formerly known as musicfemme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Thanked 32,098 Times in 6,125 Posts
candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

PS: And yes--to agree with Apocalipstic, it's also fucking HYSTERICAL!!! It somehow manages to be all those things at once.
candy_coated_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #39
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_coated_bitch View Post
Interesting. I don't find the show to be anti-feminist, anti-lesbian, or anti-woman at ALL. As a matter of fact, it feels very REAL to me. I'm not sure it glorifies prison at ALL. Maybe if you watched more than one episode, you might realize issues like rape, transphobia, lesbian phobia, misogyny, racism, classism, drug abuse, and much more are dealt with.

I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about how good someone's pussy tastes, or about how to have sex, or anything along that matter. It seems sex positive to me rather than portraying lesbians in a bad light. I don't see where saying those things is misogynistic in and of themselves. Also--the stuff about having a prison wife? I'm pretty sure that's based in the realities of being in prison.

I also don't see where prison life is glorified. From what I've seen--prison is the LAST fucking place I'd want to be!!!!! However, I also think that women in a situation like that are of course going to form relationships and alliances and have successes and failures. I think their humanity is what is being shown.

I dunno, it's hard to analyze when you have only seen part of an episode, but I'm interested in what others think?
I agree with you here and want to add that we also dont often see shows with (a) this many women in strong female leading roles and (b) this many women of color in ensembles such as this.

But to be honest, I dont think women loving this show about other women in very real roles handling very real topics in sometimes serious, sometimes funny ways *needs* to be defended. To anyone.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #40
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

I would challenge anyone (as I challenged myself, after I made assumptions about what this show was about) to at least watch 4 episodes (give it a chance), and get to know a few characters before making a decision. Maybe it won't change your mind, maybe it will.

Personally, I can assure you, that after watching the entire season, I am still a proud, strong, stone-femme, feminist woman. And frankly, I do not feel like enjoying this show should leave us open to being questioned about which direction our moral compasses point, as members of this amazingly diverse and welcoming community.

For me, I found the characters to be wonderful examples of utterly and entirely fallible human beings. I love that they have flaws and strengths. The characters are raw, vulnerable, sexy, loving, kind, mean, fat, skinny, old, young, gay, lesbian, straight, bi-sexual, MTF, butch, femme, confused, uncertain, religious, not religious, have mental health issues, disabilities, drug problems, successes, failures...etc...etc...I love that so many of them are owning their shit, and growing, despite being incarcerated. I love that this show brings up every ism on every spectrum imaginable, and throws these isms in the viewers' face, so they can see exactly how ugly and stupid isms really are.

I would be insulted if the characters back stories and current experiences were less fucked up, or less heartbreaking, or if the primary characters were weak, pretty (average 20-30 year old straight male viewers' version of pretty), straight women who were LWIP (lesbians while in prison), who were prayed upon by the scary godless lesbians. Luckily, that is not what is happening on this program.
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post: