genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Thanked 2,157 Times in 403 Posts
genghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputation
Default Job-seeking support

Hi folks

So I've been gainfully employed my entire life - I was even employed full-time during university and took years to finish my BA. Even when I went overseas to live I was sure to have a job lined up first!

This past summer I was diagnosed with celiac disease and ended up needing treatment and surgery for an unrelated abdominal illness. So now that I've recovered, I am bored, bored, bored and running out of EI.

Thus begins the job hunt! I'm not worried... I have experience and education, and I interview well, but there are always those Other People who want the job you want!

Anyone else in the market for work? What are your concerns, frustrations, triumphs, hints and tips?

Best of luck to everyone!
genghisfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Estella

How Do You Identify?:
Straightforward Femme. What you see is what you get.
Preferred Pronoun?:
We
Relationship Status:
Sadie, Sadie ... married lady.

Estella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST Reputation

The last time I looked for work was about eight years ago, and from what I understand, it's a whole different animal out there these days. A good friend of mine was laid off and she spent a good six months finding the right job. What she did was to view her search like a job. Think about the amount and quality of work you would put into an eight-hour day, and let that be your benchmark. So she'd set her alarm, get up, take a shower, and go to work - looking for work - which included networking through Linkedin, and getting in touch with everyone she had ever known who might have good contacts (which she admitted was awkward since she hadn't spoken with some of these people in years).

She said it also helped to have a designated area in your home from which to work - as opposed to a laptop on the sofa while watching CSI re-runs. Which is not to imply that that's what you're doing, but you know what I mean. It helps to stay focused.

The other thing, and I got this from our HR Director, is even if you're out of work - do something. Volunteer at a local animal shelter two days a week, or take a night class to update your skills - something like that. It will be something you can put on your resume to show you weren't spending your time on the sofa watching CSI re-runs.

Good luck to you - I know it's tough out there, but there are jobs and it can only get better ...
Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
ruffryder

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
guy ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 9,678 Times in 2,875 Posts
ruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputation

Don't get frustrated just keep applying and applying. If you have the time and finances apply for what you want first and then only if you are really needing a job apply for anything you would and could do. The tip is just keep trying and don't give up. A job will come. With the way the economy is now, the first contact and resume is key. Use words and experience that will get you noticed and get you that first interview. Learn as you go along to interviews. I found my greatest success was when I applied through careerbuilder.com. I got more calls for interviews with this website as they only wanted a basic resume as the first step. Also, network through Facebook and friends may be able to give you leads. It does help to know people. There are lots of jobs posted on FB in your area. Just do a search on your area and the words "career" or "jobs" and you will find postings. If you land a job you really don't see leading to a career, take it. It will help your resume and experiences later and then once you have that job you can continue to look for what you want. Great question and good luck!
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ruffryder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

The labour market is very very very different than it was 5 or 10years ago.

I've been under-employed (I work half-time) for the past 3 years. I have been job hunting for 3+ years and it has been rough. I have over 10years experience in my field, have worked abroad and in the states and have strong references. While I can usually land a couple of freelance contracts a year; FT work has been elusive.

You need to have a lot of patience and be able to handle "rejection" without allowing it to destroy your self-esteem. (easier said than done, I know)

You need to be your strongest self-advocate and aggressive in your search, most companies do not keep applicants informed of their process beyond a form email acknowledging receipt of the application.

It is a numbers game at the moment... employees are still scared of the weak economy and grateful for having work/benefits -- they aren't leaving their jobs (trading up, making lateral moves, trying new careers) right now AND businesses are not creating new positions because profit margins have been static or dropping in most industries. Which means there are very few openings and competition is really stiff for the available positions. I have friends that work in HR in a variety of industries and for every opening there are (regularly) more than 50 applicants - sometimes reaching in to the 100s (for one position).

My advice...

Tap your networks. Having an inside connection may be the only factor that gets you on a short list in a wide field of qualified applicants.

If you liked previous employers make some calls and see if they're hiring or thinking of hiring in the near future. Let them know you loved working with them and would love the opportunity to do so again.

If you had a great relationship with a client or vendor and your skills would be useful to them, get in touch.

Don't be afraid to ask friends or family or former colleagues to keep their ears/eyes open for you. And check in periodically.

If earning a certain amount is key to your survival, do not wait, get aggressive in your search now. Register with temp agencies. Do volunteer work (if applicable) in the industry you're looking. Make calls, send emails, find out what is happening and where its happening.

You will have the best luck applying for positions in industries that you have worked most recently. Currently, employers don't need to consider transferable skills or think "out of the box" about what you might bring to the company - they'll likely have at least 10 applicants who have done precisely this job for the last 5+ years in their pile.

Your cover letter needs to be succinct and the best of the best because it will be the first round of culling applications.

Your cover letter should be tailored to the company and the position, you should identify the core skill sets and experience needed to be successful (from the advertised job description) and clearly illustrate how your specific experience matches those core items. Dont assume they will see it in your resume, they may not even glance at your resume if its not clear in your cover letter.

I also make it a point to mirror some of the language they use in their job adverts and on their website - even if I would express my skills/experience with different words.

One of the worst trends I've seen is that an increasing number of companies are asking applicants to outline their salary requirements in their cover letter or within a data field (in an online application form). This allows hiring managers to rule out applicants based on how much they need/want to earn. This is a TERRIBLE practice! And as an applicant you can't win; if you set your requirements too high you may be culled at first round, if you set it too low you may have no leverage for earning a livable wage. My only advice here is determine what you literally need to earn to take care of yourself and don't undersell yourself, you don't want to work for a company that bargain shops for employees anyway, they will not retain their staff when the market improves.

All that said, I've seen more jobs openings in my field in the past month than any quarter of the last 3 years. I'm hoping that is a sign of an improving labor market.

I wish you all the best in your job hunt.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
turasultana

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
spoken for

turasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputation

Its tough out there but companies are hiring (we're having trouble hiring the right skills actually!).

I'd say to think about contractor work through an agency. It's a side door into a lot of large companies that might not hire you otherwise. You get the experience and networking oportunities of a large company, benefits come from the agency.

I started with a 6 mos contract, I said no at first cause i thought I didn't want to be looking again 6 mos later, but then figured i'd give it a go. 4 years later, still there (but full time employee).
turasultana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to turasultana For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

genghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputation

Folks, these have been so helpful and encouraging! Thanks for your support and ideas. I hope there are other job-seekers out there reading this and gaining courage and knowledge, as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

Genghisfawn, what is the job market like in Saskatchewan? What job niche/market are you seeking? I know a couple of years ago there was a movement out of Alberta to Sask. Is that still the case? I know your economy has shifted quite a bit over the last couple of years. Your housing costs were getting on par to ours, which shocked the dickens outta me.

Just asking fox curious questions.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Believe it or not, the job market here is hot. It's just that people are coming back in droves to take advantage of it, so there's a lot of competition!

I just have to keep trying. I used to work in recruitment so I have a few tricks and networking advantages up my sleeve, but those are slow to develop.

Best of luck, job-hunters!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

Thanked 10,606 Times in 1,477 Posts
Dude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST Reputation

recently, I put in a resume and application for land of lakes (they make buttah,I love cows and would have enjoyed feeding them or doing whatever for $19 an hour)
on their application ,there was a question are you gay ,lesbian or
transgendered.

it felt so odd to be able to check a box like that
I never expected to see that in my lifetime.
but still I question what is behind it because
straight people were not questioned.
Like maybe ,what number marriage are you on? Kids?

I have not been contacted but here, there are 200-300 people applying
for one job.

I think I just got a good lead on an independant contractor driving job
but considerable flow will be required to keep myself in gas and upkeep.
Which means two jobs, a whole lotta coffee but there are definately worse things.
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post: