blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Thanked 2,376 Times in 616 Posts
blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation
Default Christians apologizing

Christians at Gay Pride are apologizing for homophobic actions.

The post was good, but take a moment and look at the comments.

Any thoughts?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to blush For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

The guy whose "church" it was admitted it was a hoax. This was circulated last year.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

Thanked 10,606 Times in 1,477 Posts
Dude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST Reputation

even if a hoax
what a nice idea

I am not religious but to me to sincerely "pray for someone"
you have to pray "they will get everything you want" for yourself.

A much different feel than praying for someone to have their sins (queerness) removed?

What timing on this thread as I am right in the middle of some very
disapproving family member conversation.
I'd like to parade down their fucking streets right now half naked
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
The guy whose "church" it was admitted it was a hoax. This was circulated last year.
Good grief, I didn't know that! I usually check sources better!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you for posting this. It is 2 years old, and as Corkey said a hoax.
But lets presume it was real and did happen for the right reasons.

I think I can understand why the author of the article may have some misgivings about the signs. But, I tend to agree with those who commented on the article.

Being a recovering catholic, I do believe in - let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me, and I believe in doing unto others as I would have them do onto me. Sometimes, I am even successful at it.

I dont expect others to understand all the ins and out of how the things they may say and do may affect me. But, if a sincere hand of peace is offered to me, as a good faith gesture of trying to right a wrong, I will reach out.

It just makes sense to me. Understanding, learning, evolution are not destinations. They are journeys of growth and development. Making mistakes and misjudgements is part of being human. Forgiveness and healing is also part of being human.

I can perpetuate hate or I can be an instrument of peace. The choice is mine. And, it is a selfish choice not an altruistic one. It is all about my well being, my peace of mind, the person I am and strive to be, the example I prefer to set.

It will never be about what what goes on out there. It will always be about what goes on inside of me.

Hoax or not, is an interesting topic to think about.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blush View Post
Good grief, I didn't know that! I usually check sources better!
It's ok it is a good topic, however this particular "church" was totally exposed for the hypocrisy. He did it to garner more "christians" to his particular "church".
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
It's ok it is a good topic, however this particular "church" was totally exposed for the hypocrisy. He did it to garner more "christians" to his particular "church".
I googled it as a hoax, but nothing concrete came up. Would you mind posting a link? I just want to know the full story.

I would still like to know if what "we" think about Christians apologizing. Is it necessary? Are we asking too much?
The Following User Says Thank You to blush For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
I googled it as a hoax, but nothing concrete came up. Would you mind posting a link? I just want to know the full story.

I would still like to know if what "we" think about Christians apologizing. Is it necessary? Are we asking too much?
Oh lord that was 2 years ago, look at the Advocate, I think, my memory isn't what it used to be...
Old 06-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Default Found it!

http://www.advocate.com/politics/com.../preacher-lied
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blush For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

Dude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST Reputation

I lied about half naked
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
I lied about half naked
Should we go into churches with signs? Half naked or not? What would the signs say?
Old 06-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #12
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

Quote:
Should we go into churches with signs? Half naked or not? What would the signs say?
no , that would be disrespectful.
that's their safe place and we get to have ours and
live our lives without being critiqued, picketed and
shamed.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #13
boobookitty

How Do You Identify?:
I like the tag Lipstick Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
not picky, but male pronouns are soothing to the psyche
Relationship Status:
not looking for more than friends

boobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputationboobookitty Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

Thank you for posting this. It is 2 years old, and as Corkey said a hoax.
But lets presume it was real and did happen for the right reasons.

I think I can understand why the author of the article may have some misgivings about the signs. But, I tend to agree with those who commented on the article.

Being a recovering catholic, I do believe in - let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me, and I believe in doing unto others as I would have them do onto me. Sometimes, I am even successful at it.

I dont expect others to understand all the ins and out of how the things they may say and do may affect me. But, if a sincere hand of peace is offered to me, as a good faith gesture of trying to right a wrong, I will reach out.

It just makes sense to me. Understanding, learning, evolution are not destinations. They are journeys of growth and development. Making mistakes and misjudgements is part of being human. Forgiveness and healing is also part of being human.

I can perpetuate hate or I can be an instrument of peace. The choice is mine. And, it is a selfish choice not an altruistic one. It is all about my well being, my peace of mind, the person I am and strive to be, the example I prefer to set.

It will never be about what what goes on out there. It will always be about what goes on inside of me.

Hoax or not, is an interesting topic to think about.

I agree, it would be nice to be able to have safe conversations about faith.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
no , that would be disrespectful.
that's their safe place and we get to have ours and
live our lives without being critiqued, picketed and
shamed.
I have always thought that the fastest way to "win" this "fight" would be through the Church.

We have a valid argument in the separation of church and state and how we shouldn't have to make a religious argument for our rights, and that is absolutely correct and I am sure it will work eventually, but....

imagine if every church was gay in the same proportions that the population is gay. If ten percent of every congregation was respectfully, but openly gay.

What if we had a big gay meeting and decided we were all going to google the church closest to our zip code and just start showing up?

You wouldn't have to be disrespectful or disruptive. You wouldn't even have to announce your presence. When new people show up the church folks get ALL up in your business and the first question is "are you married?"

I bet the whole thing would be over in a year.

Now, the obvious question is "are you putting your money where your mouth is, Jenny? Shouldn't you be on your way to Faith United Methodist right now?"

Heck, no. The whole idea terrifies me.

But, still. I bet it would work.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
Gentle Tiger

How Do You Identify?:
As a Tiger of course
Preferred Pronoun?:
Not the Old Man
Relationship Status:
Two Tigers

Thanked 15,995 Times in 3,996 Posts
Gentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST Reputation

While this may be a hoax, I think it is something that should happen and on a regular basis and in different ways. I am one of those people feels the need to apologize for those who give Christianity a bad name. People of faith should be finding different ways to be supportive and say I'm sorry. My church for example, marches every year in San Diego Pride. We do this because want everyone to know there is a place where all are welcome, where we will not seduce you with acceptance and then try to change you, etc.

As an assistant pastor, I have lost track of the number of people I've encountered who have left their faith not because they have discovered another path in their spirituality but because of how they have been spiritually abused/exploited.

I have to head out to services and other tasks for today but I will be come back. Good discussion.

Gentle Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gentle Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #16
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

I didn't realise he'd admitted it was a hoax

I knew there were a lot of questions and queries about his actions, particularly since his church was rumoured to support conversion therapy. What a tosser.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #17
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

It's a shame this was a hoax and even sadder that it's not and won't be the only one resorting to such tactics...

At Pride Charlotte 2007 a group was handing out silicon bracelets in Pride colors...people were snapping them up until it was discovered (and announced from the stage) that the seemingly friendly folks handing them out were members of one of the uglier protest groups and inside the bracelet was the address for a hate filled anti-LGBT web site where the main message was how we were all going to burn in hell...
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #18
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Assuming it had not been a hoax (and, even if it was, there are similar examples of Christians apologising for homophobia and bigotry in the name of their religion), I actually am not in favour of it.

In fact, I am strongly against this type of apology.

Rather, in my mind, an apology needs to be personal. I am a Roman Catholic but I do not believe that I have the power or the authority to apologise on behalf of that Church to the many people it has, and continues to, hurt. Similarly, I don't see how others can apologise for the actions of their wider communities either.

Maybe it's just a semantics point but, to me, it is important.

With that said, I am wholly supportive of those religious folk, esp. those who are "straight" who are unambiguously in favour of equal rights for LGBT peoples and, more personally, who welcome LGBT people into their faith communities. Furthermore, those who are LGBT and practitioners of faith can play a powerful role in hopefully ensuring any future hurt caused by churches in the name of God is minimised.

Yesterday, I attended a one-day workshop here in London for LGBT Roman Catholics. It was tremendously powerful, if sometimes difficult, for me, esp. as my intuitive Roman Catholic faith tends to be on the more reactionary and judgemental side. I don't do Pride but a visible Roman Catholic community will be marching at London Pride (www.sohomasses.com) - whilst I won't be marching, I did however buy one of the t-shirts that they will be wearing on the march. It's a simply design of a cross and the words, "Nobody knows I'm Catholic".
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #19
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.themarinfoundation.org/

that is the website for this guy.....apparently they are scheduled for another appearance at Chicago Pride...........it's in the 'current events' drop down...

the part that is a hoax is that he is supportive of us
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #20
yotlyolqualli

How Do You Identify?:
submissive femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
moving forward and not looking back... anything is possible!

Thanked 1,271 Times in 184 Posts
yotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputation

I don't think that the GLBT community inundating church's would do anything but cause more chaos, more distrust and stronger anti- homosexual feelings.

There ARE church's out there who are GLBT friendly and inclusive. When I left the Mennonite church, I left because I no longer believed the same way they did.

A church, not a religion or a faith, but a church, is founded on like mindedness. Most church's are governed by a constitution, or a written sometimes unwritten, creed of idealogies, rules, dogma and doctrine. I tend to think of church's as a "club". Just as each club has it's own sets of standards and rules, so do church's. Just like in a club, if a club member did something totally against the rules, OR no longer felt the want or need to follow club rules, they would either leave on their own, or be kicked out.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all. Many Christians don't believe that homosexuality is right. They think it's a one way ticket to hell, and you know what? It is perfectly OK for them to think that. What makes that attitude NOT ok, is when they try and legislate their idealogies and doctrine and belief, on those who do not believe the same way.

If we inundated the "unfriendly" and non-inclusive church's, we are doing what they are doing to us; trying to force our own idealogies and beliefs on them.

I feel that us doing that to them, would be as equally wrong as what they are doing to us.

Just my own thoughts.