Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #461
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
He’s my scorpio boo bear.

Thanked 32,031 Times in 9,961 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I traded a bunch of my books in today, at Powell's Book Store,
for a book called...

"Stieg Larsson, My Friend" ~ by Kurdo Baksi

here's a link to an online review of this book:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010...o-baksi-review
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #462
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts
afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Her-Wake-Psychiatrist-Explores-Mystery/dp/046501450X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294582350&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: In Her Wake: A Child Psychiatrist Explores the Mystery of Her Mother's Suicide (9780465014507): Nancy Rappaport: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Stormfields-Visit-Heaven-ebook/dp/B000JMKXYW/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=12945829 06&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven eBook: Mark Twain: Books[/ame]
afixer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afixer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #463
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished Prodigal Summer, by Barbara Kingsolver. She weaves three stories of love together, all centered around Mount Zebulon, in southern Appalachia. The characters are delightful, as are the lessons of biology; Ms. Kingsolver has yet to disappoint me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #464
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished Patricia Cornwell's, Post Mortuary.

I'm not sure I liked it. It just didn't "grab" me.

On another note, to all the Nook'ers and Kindle'ers - I see that some have said they are reading more but do you miss the tangible experience of reading?

I have been hesitant in purchasing one because I like feeling the heft of the book in my hand and the physical movement of turning the page. The tactile experience of the paper texture on my fingers.

I'm interested in hearing how the reading experience changes. This might seem kinda whacky, but reading is one of those things that I am passionate about and is an integral part of my life.

Off to the store to see if any of my reading addictions have new books out!
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #465
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

If you have a chance to stop back and let us know what you thought of "In her Wake" when you finish it, I'd be very curious to know. Thanks. I'm thinking about whether to read it myself.

nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #466
Wryly

How Do You Identify?:
bemused butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
polite ones, please
Relationship Status:
single butch

Thanked 1,568 Times in 620 Posts
Wryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST Reputation

So the 3 books I had listed as "currently reading" (Points of View by Rex Murphy, Forever on the Mountain: The Truth Behind One of Mountaineering's Most Controversial and Mysterious Disasters by James M. Tabor and Family Knits - 25 Handknits for all seasons by Debbie Bliss are still in the mix but I seem to be reading a lot of stuff in addition to that. (BTW - have also started a pair of socks).
Am 2/3 of the way thru [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Long-Way-Down-Motorcycle-Scotland/dp/B003A02WZ8"]Long Way Down[/ame]. Have also finished (and gotten a headstart on wishful thinking) [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Golf-Annikas-Way-Elevated-Best--/dp/1592403565/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294595751&sr=1-1"] Golf Annika's Way [/ame].
Wryly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wryly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #467
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts
afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by christie0918 View Post
...to all the Nook'ers and Kindle'ers - I see that some have said they are reading more but do you miss the tangible experience of reading?

I'm digging my Kindle.
I love to read and will always prefer a paper book over a e-book.
the advantage to e-reader has for me is the ability to have lots of reading material on hand...just one hand.

I want to add that the kindle has exposed me to more titles than a retail outlet which makes me

Last edited by afixer; 01-09-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: lack of proof reading
afixer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afixer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #468
Laerkin

How Do You Identify?:
Girlie with a touch of bossy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, but not hung up on the details
Relationship Status:
Parenting our furry family with SmoothButch

3 Highscores

Laerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished the Hunger Games trilogy. WOW. Dark, intense, creative, engaging, and thoroughly memorable. I've restarted the 1st book again so I can soak it up again.

And I just read the entire Harper Connolly series by Charlaine Harris over Christmas. Pretty good!

Tomorrow, I start back on the textbooks. Hrmph. LOL.
Laerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laerkin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #469
Laerkin

How Do You Identify?:
Girlie with a touch of bossy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, but not hung up on the details
Relationship Status:
Parenting our furry family with SmoothButch

3 Highscores

Laerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST Reputation

...to add to the previous posts, I've been reading all of these books on my nook. I can even get most of my Business textbooks on it now, too. I love the feel and the smell of the page, but I just can't beat the convenience. We just went on a 10 day trip and I read 8 books during that time but I only had to carry my little nook to do it. It's awesome.
Laerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laerkin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #470
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Different Learners
By Jane M. Healy, Ph.D
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 07:09 AM   #471
BBinNYC

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Fine with he or she. Just don't call me late for dinner.
Relationship Status:
married to the best femme in the world

Tournaments Won: 2

BBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST ReputationBBinNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Reading is reading to me. The feel of the book/paper I do not miss when I read a Kindle. I think sometimes our books can *own* us. In that we can accrue so many of them and never touch them again. Pretty soon, there are piles and boxes of them because they won't all fit on the shelves.

Some books, I need to own, but I am finding that I don't need to own or try to figure out where to store the others.
Yes! That is exactly why I started using a Kindle, the storage problem. I soon realized that I actually like the Kindle quite a bit. I love keeping a Wish List and then when I finish a book, I can download the next one in 30 seconds and start on it.

I just finished reading A Tale of Love and Darkness, a memoir by Amos Oz, which I read in connection with a trip to Israel I took with my synagogue (the gay synagogue in NYC). It's a wonderful look at Israel right before and after Independence and it is a chronicle of the eastern European immigration of that period.

Now I'm reading Once Upon A Country, a memoir by Sari Nusseibeh, a Palestinian who writes about the same subjects as Amos Oz, but from a Palestinian point of view. I'm liking it a lot.

BBinNYC
Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #472
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,662 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

"I Remember Nothing" by Nora Ephron - unfortunately she remembered to write this.

I wonder how long it will take Kindle type products to put publishers out of business?

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #473
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

"I Remember Nothing" by Nora Ephron - unfortunately she remembered to write this.

I wonder how long it will take Kindle type products to put publishers out of business?
I think publishers are safe, regardless of format books take they still need to be edited and published to garner any significant attention. Printers and distributors, however, need to worry; and from a green perspective this is not such a bad thing.

It is the independent book stores I worry for; and even though I own a kindle and I still buy hard copies of books I love and I buy hard copies of books for children and for friends (most of my friends have resisted e-readers thus far).
Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #474
Starbuck

How Do You Identify?:
Soft Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,148 Times in 756 Posts
Starbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up Now I'm reading...

The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts by Gary Chapman.

The book also includes The 5 Love Languages Personal Profile so the reader can find out what their primary love language is and share that with their partner.

Now it's written for married hetero couples but we can use which ever term we prefer, right? And there's an additional profile so hy or she can find out what their primary love language is, thereby creating a stronger love bond between the two of you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Starbuck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #475
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default your answer

"Invisible Heroes Survirors of Trauma and How They Heal"

by Belleruth Naparstek

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #476
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

Imperfect Birds by Anne Lamott.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #477
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Currently working my way through:

The Left at War -- Michael Berube

A Revolution of the Mind: Radical Enlightenment and the Intellectual Origins of Modern Democracy -- Jonathan Israel

Disintegration: The Splintering of Black America -- Eugene Robinson

I'm also listening to a couple of audiobooks:

Eye of the World: Wheel of Time Book 1 -- Robert Jordan

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany -- William L. Shirer

When I'm done with Shirer (which I should be by next week) I'm going to start at the beginning of Richard J. Evans "Third Reich Trilogy" (The Coming of the Third Reich) and then go through all three books in sequence. In part this is done for comparative purposes. Shirer's book, while a work of history, is mostly a work of journalism (he was a reporter). Evans, on the other hand, is considered the world's foremost scholar on Nazi Germany and having read through books 2 and 3 of his trilogy, I want to go back and catch the whole magisterial sweep of his work.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #478
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am currently reading sock patterns!

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #479
Wryly

How Do You Identify?:
bemused butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
polite ones, please
Relationship Status:
single butch

Thanked 1,568 Times in 620 Posts
Wryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST Reputation

Finished Long Way Down last night. Working on finishing [ame="http://www.amazon.com/My-Stroke-Insight-Scientists-Personal/dp/1430300612"]My Stroke of Insight[/ame] and [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Notes-Small-Island-Bill-Bryson/dp/0380727501"]Notes From a Small Island[/ame]. And then there's still a pile of books that I've just started.

amiyesiam - what pattern book? How do you knit socks - toe up or cuff down?
Wryly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wryly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #480
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default kindle-less

kindle-less and for good reason...to each their own

I love books the texture of their pages the ink forming
their words

a book the patience it shows to my reading
from right to left or from back to front and back again

when we fall asleep together and I accidentally crush it with
my body in the morning to find it happy to be alive and
read

I love to throw them into my "man's" bag as we go off to the
office and there take a few moments together between folks.

the feel of their weight in my hands, my total control of how
we will proceed...alright going off here.

yes, I love books, hard cover, paperbacks, books.

love in print.

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading