Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Giffords Still Alive and in surgery

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is in surgery in critical condition after being shot at a public event Saturday.

Several media outlets reported that Giffords had been killed, but a UMC spokesperson and C.J. Karamargin with Gifford's office confirmed the congresswoman initially survived the attack and is in surgery.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #1082
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

This is supposedly the shooter's youtube channel

and this appears to be by him too

made back in october

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
The Following User Says Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #1083
Diavolo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Diavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST Reputation

Sheriff Clarence Dupnik, speaking about Arizona:

"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government. The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous. And, unfortunately, Arizona I think has become sort of the capital. We have become the Mecca for prejudice and bigotry.

"It's not unusual for all public officials to get threats constantly, myself included. And that's the sad thing of what's going on in America. Pretty soon, we're not going to be able to find reasonable, decent people who are willing to subject themselves to serve in public office."

At what point does Glenn Beck's name get mentioned?
Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diavolo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #1084
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

I just returned home from a candlelight vigil outside of University Medical Center where Congresswoman Gifford and 10 other shooting victims are being treated. The atmosphere here in Tucson is one of shock and disbelief. Tonight there are five vigils planned. A dear friend of mine is on Gabrielle's staff and my thoughts were full of panic when I first heard the news. Fortunately, she is safe and alive but grieving heavily over the loss of life today.

So many things NEED to change, but first and foremost Arizona gun laws need to be seriously addressed. The suspect had serious mental health issues as well as a criminal history yet was still allowed to purchase a firearm, no questions asked.

I have so much more to say...right now my heart is heavy and I just don't know what to say about the state of the world right now. Honestly, I'd like to take the nearest shuttle to a new planet.
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2011, 11:07 PM   #1085
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

I am deeply saddened too! I am glad that your friend is ok!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #1086
Peach

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
happily married

Peach Has the BEST ReputationPeach Has the BEST ReputationPeach Has the BEST ReputationPeach Has the BEST ReputationPeach Has the BEST ReputationPeach Has the BEST ReputationPeach Has the BEST ReputationPeach Has the BEST ReputationPeach Has the BEST ReputationPeach Has the BEST ReputationPeach Has the BEST Reputation

Keith Obermanns take on yesterdays tragedy. I adore this man.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/...mann/#40983401
Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peach For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #1087
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
but first and foremost Arizona gun laws need to be seriously addressed. The suspect had serious mental health issues as well as a criminal history yet was still allowed to purchase a firearm, no questions asked.
While I do understand this sentiment, stricter gun laws won't change anything. Over the years States and the Feds have passed hundreds of gun laws and crimes committed with guns continue to stay the same or increase.

Anybody who wants a gun can get one regardless of legislation. I can walk out my door and get a gun in half an hour. I will be buying the gun on the street, not in a gun shop. Gun laws are for law abiding citizens. Criminals/extemists don't give a shit about the laws and they have access to guns on the street.

Legislating who can have a weapon based on mental status is a huge ass problem. You can't just blanket say if you are mentally ill you cannot own a gun. It ain't that easy. I would venture that half of the folks on this site could not buy a weapon if mental illness was an exclusion criteria.

What MUST be addressed is the climate of hate and fear being created by extremists who continue to get a bully pulpit from the mainstream media. I know Walter Cronkite is rolling in his grave. His kind of journalism seems to be gone.
Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #1088
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

They make me sick!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_806319.html
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #1089
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

If Westboro got no more publicity, I wonder what they would do?

I don't care if they go to any funeral for anyone.....stop talking about them.....stop saying where they will be........ignore them in the media. Let the cops deal with them where ever they show up.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #1090
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

"They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

~Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)

To me, ignoring is not a viable option.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #1091
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

I feel like quoting the They came is like using a sledge hammer to shell pecans.............

Wesboro Church is made up of about 30 or so folks with most of them being close bio family. They have been around at least 20 years spewing their vitriol at funerals and other events. They are not newsworthy. The membership is stable over those years. They are not a growing grass roots or corporate movement.

I think we have forgotten what 'news' means. There was a time when the News Department of TV and radio stations was a stand alone department that did not have to make a profit or have high ratings. The news was too important in a democracy.

Today the News Department is in the Entertainment Department. The news must turn a profit and have high ratings. I doubt Walter Cronkite would be a news anchor today. What is reported is driven by that need for profit and ratings.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #1092
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

We are all entitled to our opinions.
The Following User Says Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #1093
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
I feel like quoting the They came is like using a sledge hammer to shell pecans.............
Can we call that Toughy's Law which is a corollary of Godwin's Law?

Quote:
Wesboro Church is made up of about 30 or so folks with most of them being close bio family. They have been around at least 20 years spewing their vitriol at funerals and other events. They are not newsworthy. The membership is stable over those years. They are not a growing grass roots or corporate movement.
These are the groups that I would like to see the media take a long, hard look at.

Quote:
I think we have forgotten what 'news' means. There was a time when the News Department of TV and radio stations was a stand alone department that did not have to make a profit or have high ratings. The news was too important in a democracy.
I also think that journalists have forgotten what their jobs are, as well. Over the next few days we're going to be put through the usual spectacle cycle. Several people will make comments on national TV about the violent rhetoric in modern political discourse. There will be denials that statements about 'second amendment remedies' or maps with the names of members of Congress iin the crosshairs have any corrosive or poisonous effect on our discourse. Equivalencies will be made to the left-wing radicals of the 60's (and here a valid point will be hard to argue against) but there will be a suggestion that since the left-wing radicals got away with it (which they didn't, by the way) now it's the turn of the right-wing radicals. The news media will paint almost precisely this picture of things because, well, false equivalency has become the new American pastime.

Quote:
Today the News Department is in the Entertainment Department. The news must turn a profit and have high ratings. I doubt Walter Cronkite would be a news anchor today. What is reported is driven by that need for profit and ratings.
Absolutely! I doubt that Cronkite, Murrow, or Daniel Shchorr would be able to work today. Perhaps it's time for the media to recall that it is unofficially the Fourth Estate and is the *only* industry granted explicit Constitutional protections.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #1094
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #1095
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default March, 2010--Media Matters

"You need to riot": Right-wing uses violent rhetoric
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #1096
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Meet Daniel Hernandez - the intern credited with saving Gabby Giffords' life

The fact that he is Latino and gay in intolerant Arizona - and also a hero - is not escaping media attention. He's also only 20 years old and already has the composure and leadership skills beyond most seasoned politicians. I hope he stays on the political radar.

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #1097
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

omg what a f**ckin nightmare
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #1098
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

omg what a f**ckin nightmare
I'm confused. Did you just call him ugly? I really hope I misread you, cuz that is totally irrelevant.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:43 AM   #1099
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Newly-elected Georgia Governor Nathan Deal (R) gets it right. I hope the backlash from the anti-drug law and order folks don't get him to change his mind. From his inaugural address:

For violent and repeat offenders, we will make you pay for your crimes. For other offenders who want to change their lives, we will provide the opportunity to do so with Day Reporting Centers, Drug, DUI and Mental Health Courts and expanded probation and treatment options. As a State, we cannot afford to have so many of our citizens waste their lives because of addictions. It is draining our State Treasury and depleting our workforce.

linklyloo
Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #1100
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDemeanor View Post
I can't wait to see how they blame this one on the gays.
And here you go -

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:

Tags
breaking news, news