Tawse

How Do You Identify?:
TG Gender Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,739 Times in 644 Posts
Tawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Just started book 13 in the Dresden Files series... thoroughly enjoying every morsel.
Tawse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tawse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 05:07 AM   #942
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Revenge: A Fable by Taslima Nasrin
and re-reading Swan Song by Robert McCammon

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 05:18 AM   #943
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default reading and teaching:

Chronicle of a Death Foretold--Gabriel García Márquez
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #944
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post
Chronicle of a Death Foretold--Gabriel García Márquez
Love him! (He's one of my favourite authors)
Old 11-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #945
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

"Wade tried to imagine Florida before the advent of man, but couldn't. The landscape seemed too thoroughly colonized - the trailers, factory outlets and cocktail shacks of the world below. He decided that if human beings took over the moon, they'd probably just turn it into Florida. It was probably for the best that it was so far away, unreachable." - all families are psychotic, Douglas Coupland
Old 11-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #946
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Butch Force View Post
World War Z
Yeah!! Another zombie apocalypse fan!! (I think?).

Max Brooks wrote one of the best. Being made into a movie with Brad Pitt. Looking forward to it! If you have any interest in the genre, I can tell you some other very well-written ones!

Changing gears right now, reading the new Steve Jobs bio. He was such a genius, fascinatingly complex man.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #947
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

The Drama of the Gifted Child by Alice Miller

and rereading Siddhartha by Herman Hesse

SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #948
Estella

How Do You Identify?:
Straightforward Femme. What you see is what you get.
Preferred Pronoun?:
We
Relationship Status:
Sadie, Sadie ... married lady.

Estella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST Reputation

Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel
Estella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Estella For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #949
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
Love him! (He's one of my favourite authors)
Pffft! Right.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #950
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post
Pffft! Right.
Oh really?

I've read most of his stuff and liked everything I've read - with the exception of One Hundred Years of Solitude. I never did finish that book because I just couldn't get "involved" with any of the characters. I -do- enjoy the magic realism, the idea that a young man's blood could poor out the door and travel down the streets through the town to his mothers house to alert her of his death. That's what I like about his books.

(Remember, UofMean - I read everything I can get my hands on.)
Old 11-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #951
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
Oh really?

I've read most of his stuff and liked everything I've read - with the exception of One Hundred Years of Solitude. I never did finish that book because I just couldn't get "involved" with any of the characters. I -do- enjoy the magic realism, the idea that a young man's blood could poor out the door and travel down the streets through the town to his mothers house to alert her of his death. That's what I like about his books.

(Remember, UofMean - I read everything I can get my hands on.)
One Hundred Years of Solitude, albeit the work that earned him the Nobel Price, is not his best. I love magic realism also, but no one comes close to García Márquez.

You may want to try, "No One Writes to the Colonel", one of his lesser known works but one of my favorites.

I have read all his books in English and Spanish just because I could

I also read anything I can get my hands on, seriously, so this makes me think that perhaps there is hope for you...kidding!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #952
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
One Hundred Years of Solitude, albeit the work that earned him the Nobel Price, is not his best. I love magic realism also, but no one comes close to García Márquez.

You may want to try, "No One Writes to the Colonel", one of his lesser known works but one of my favorites.

I have read all his books in English and Spanish just because I could

I also read anything I can get my hands on, seriously, so this makes me think that perhaps there is hope for you...kidding!
Honestly my favourite is Memories of My Melancholy Whores. I have "No One Writes to the Colonel" in my bookshelf but haven't read it yet. I have too many books on the go right now that I don't even know what to do with myself.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #953
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

_Closely_Watched_Trains by Bohumil Hrabal was surprisingly good. It was written in the 1940s, I think, and in Czechoslovakian, but translates across both language and time rather well. I was intrigued with how simple the writing was, which, actually, it had to be: When the view of the book is only in what the narrator knows, and the narrator is naive, then you have to find other ways to communicate this other than by saying "btw, I'm really naive"...because by saying you're naive, it shows a perspective that doesn't sound so naive. In this case, the author stuck with really simplistic language and observations...but it makes for an intriguing story. Worth the read.

Also halfway through the third book in the Game of Thrones series, _A_Storm_of_Swords. It's gotten better, I'm following all the moving pieces better, now caught up in all story lines, not just a few of them. Eager for the next season on HBO now too!

JD
Old 11-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #954
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

The Sacred Prostitute, Eternal Aspects of the Feminine
By Nancy Qualls-Corbett.

I quite like this book, it is small and easy to understand. This is a re-read for me. I have been approached by a maverick social worker to help start a sexual healing program. I have taken quite a few tantra classes as well as training through the sexual assault centre, but then just kinda let the idea go. But, perhaps Spirit has another plan.

It is a good read. I like how she expands on Jung's ideas on Anima. There are some other authors she references I may want to research before our seed meeting.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #955
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

_Water for Elephants_ by Sara Gruen
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #956
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
_Water for Elephants_ by Sara Gruen
Excellent read.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #957
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Excellent read.

I'm truly enjoying it. Only on chapter four but it's already made me cry and laugh. A good thing in a book. I borrowed it on my Kindle via Amazon.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #958
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

I am just about finished with:

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick Dewitt

The book is great. The "voice" of the book is Eli Sisters - a hired killer with a heart. Watching someone who you would presume is completely devoid of feeling dote all over a one-eyed horse is just too adorably absurd to pass over.

I'd suggest it.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #959
Estella

How Do You Identify?:
Straightforward Femme. What you see is what you get.
Preferred Pronoun?:
We
Relationship Status:
Sadie, Sadie ... married lady.

Estella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST ReputationEstella Has the BEST Reputation

I'm also reading Possession by A.S. Byatt. Let me re-phrase: slogging through. It's a Booker Prize winner (like Wolf Hall, which I'm also reading) and I usually like them, but mother of god it's slow. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #960
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

ok i admit i'm not technically "reading" this series
but i just finished the unabridged audio book version of
girl with the dragon tattoo - i thought it was great, it kept my interest and had me along for the whole ride

and i'm just starting
the girl who played with fire

as an aside: simon vance is a great audio book narrator - he sounds completely involved in the story and he has a clear and present timbre that i find very easy on the ears
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading