Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Politics And Law

Old 03-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #61
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimmygLrL View Post
Hey AJ,

That is what I meant by evil. The book is very disturbing and one I can honestly say I never could finish. It was a book the professor recommended since our report was on Hitler.

Have a good day,

Zimmy
Okay, thank you. I thought that's what you meant but I wasn't sure so I thought I would ask.

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #62
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Uh... FAIL! This is so wrong on many levels. It's disrespectful, invasion of privacy and potentially dangerous. I hope that this individual is held responsible for any criminal activities that happen as a result of this (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Source: POLITICO

A tea party organizer angry over Rep. Thomas Perriello’s (D-Va.) vote in favor of health care reform published what he thought was the freshman member’s home address on a blog, in case any readers “want to drop by” and provide a “personal touch” to their views.

Rather than giving out Perriello’s address however, the tea party activist mistakenly printed the home address of the congressman’s brother. Perriello’s brother and wife have four children under the age of 8.

In the post, the author gives out the address to his “friends” in Perriello’s district.

“Just in case any of his friends and neighbors want to drop by and say hi and express their thanks regarding his vote for health care,” the author writes. “I personally believe it’s so important for representatives to remain fully grounded and to remember exactly what it is their constituents are saying and how they are telling them to vote. Nothing quite does that like a good face-to-face chat. It has a much more personal touch to it.”

The post does not have a byline but was published on a blog run by an organizer for the Lynchburg Tea Party, a member of the group confirmed to POLITICO. There is no contact information on the blog, but POLITICO has been able to trace the blog to Mike Troxel, an organizer for the Lynchburg Tea Party who has been active in the organization since it launched last year.

In an interview with POLITICO, Troxel admitted to writing the post and said that he has no intention of removing the address from the blog.

Troxel found the address through a directory website and said he would only replace what he currently has on the blog with an address provided by Perriello’s office.

<snip>

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #63
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Uh... FAIL! This is so wrong on many levels. It's disrespectful, invasion of privacy and potentially dangerous. I hope that this individual is held responsible for any criminal activities that happen as a result of this (emphasis mine):
This is getting more and more disturbing. What's interesting is that more and more very respectable names are starting to sound alarm bells about what we are discussing here:

Bob Herbert's column in today's NYTimes

John Zogby's piece at Huffington Post

Chris Hedges' piece on this subject at Alternet

Stephen Schlesinger's piece at HuffPo

Dana Milbank's piece in yesterday's Washington Post

I single these pieces (that I would highly recommend reading when you have a spare 30 minutes) out because of *who* they are by. Herbert, Hedges and Milbank are absolutely mainstream, consensus journalists. Zogby is a mainstream and highly respected pollster. Schlesinger is a fairly mainstream scholar. With no insult to either Noam Chomsky or Amy Goodman meant, but if *they* are claiming that right-wing conservatives are a frightening threat to our democratic republic that's no big deal. Dog bites man, no news. But when you have mainstream, consensus journalists, historians or other scholars starting to say it then it's time to sit up and take notice. I'm familiar with everyone *but* Schlesinger and not a one of them strikes me as anyone's radical with Hedges coming closest and still, to my mind, missing it by a comfortable margin.

We truly do live in interesting times.

Oh and let me also recommend a very good but sobering book that is available free online. It is The Authoritarians by Bob Altemeyer. I became aware of Altemeyer's work when I read John Dean's "Conservatives without Conscience" a couple of years ago. Altemeyer has done excellent and apparently exhaustive work on right-wing authoritarians. He is giving the book away in PDF format or you can get it as an audiobook as well but that will cost you about $15.00.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #64
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,619 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

that political blogger is a prime example of political vigilantee-ism at its worst...

I am horrified over the blatant overt uncoded deliberate HATE that is being use to intimidate and breed fear into the lives of individuals for the "good" of the masses these idiots are thinking they are serving. This is no more than fanaticism...terror in a different degree but terror none the less...

it was one thing, wasnt it, when they went after the abortion doctors

it was one thing when they went after the little girl who needed a drink of water from the water fountain

it was one thing when LGBT wanted a public place to gather and not be harassed by police

it was one thing when they targeted illegal immigrants

and it was one thing they refused to hear the cry of the religious who arent christians...

but now..they refuse to hear themselves...

they arent hiding behind politics..they are lashing out in the name of politics..

now we REALLY get to see them for who they really are..

they arent as polished and as shiny as the mighty knights they made them out to be, to save the nation against the sins of their unacceptables...

now we see them and their angry bigoted hateful souls....

I knew this day was coming...now the world is changed forever more...most will think it didnt make a difference...

but I know better...the pandora's box has been opened and now they cannot hide behind their sheep's clothing...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #65
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums
Default An open letter to Conservatives

This is a fantastic piece!

Here's the beginning and it only gets MUCH better after that:

Dear Conservative Americans,

The years have not been kind to you. I grew up in a profoundly Republican home, so I can remember when you wore a very different face than the one we see now. You've lost me and you've lost most of America. Because I believe having responsible choices is important to democracy, I'd like to give you some advice and an invitation.

First, the invitation: Come back to us.

Now the advice. You're going to have to come up with a platform that isn't built on a foundation of cowardice: fear of people with colors, religions, cultures and sex lives that differ from your own; fear of reform in banking, health care, energy; fantasy fears of America being transformed into an Islamic nation, into social/commun/fasc-ism, into a disarmed populace put in internment camps; and more. But you have work to do even before you take on that task.

Your party -- the GOP -- and the conservative end of the American political spectrum has become irresponsible and irrational. Worse, it's tolerating, promoting and celebrating prejudice and hatred. Let me provide some expamples -- by no means an exhaustive list -- of where the Right as gotten itself stuck in a swamp of hypocrisy, hyperbole, historical inaccuracy and hatred.

If you're going to regain your stature as a party of rational, responsible people, you'll have to start by draining this swamp:

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com...ive.php?ref=mp

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #66
QueSeraSera

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Brat Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Single

QueSeraSera will become famous soon enough
Angry The Deep South...

Ok this maybe totally off topic sice it's not political.... But, I moved to Mississippi 3 months ago. And never in my life have I heard the N word used more in my life!!!! And they just don't blink an eye. I myself have been called a "Damn Yankee" "Coon" " N_____ Lover" To my face on many many occasion. In the 3 months that I have been here. I never in my life thought that in 2010 a place would exist like that. But, it does deeply here. Ppl in this town are proud to be rasist! And truly this town is stuck in 1950!! This is the main reason that I will be moving in the next to weeks to the place I used to call home. Wher I can be friends with who I was. Date who I want. And Live how I want. And The N word isn't part of everyday conversation.

Til another time......

P.S. Again may not be on topic.... But, I found on Youtube awhile back a thing by Bill Maher Titled America Isn't Number One.... Worth Checkin out in My Book.......
Old 03-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #67
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueSeraSera View Post
Ok this maybe totally off topic sice it's not political.... But, I moved to Mississippi 3 months ago. And never in my life have I heard the N word used more in my life!!!! And they just don't blink an eye. I myself have been called a "Damn Yankee" "Coon" " N_____ Lover" To my face on many many occasion. In the 3 months that I have been here. I never in my life thought that in 2010 a place would exist like that. But, it does deeply here. Ppl in this town are proud to be rasist! And truly this town is stuck in 1950!! This is the main reason that I will be moving in the next to weeks to the place I used to call home. Wher I can be friends with who I was. Date who I want. And Live how I want. And The N word isn't part of everyday conversation.

Til another time......

P.S. Again may not be on topic.... But, I found on Youtube awhile back a thing by Bill Maher Titled America Isn't Number One.... Worth Checkin out in My Book.......
Yes, Maher's take is qworth a look!

Wishing you the best in getting the hell out of there!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #68
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadgeek View Post
This is a fantastic piece!

Here's the beginning and it only gets MUCH better after that:

Dear Conservative Americans,

The years have not been kind to you. I grew up in a profoundly Republican home, so I can remember when you wore a very different face than the one we see now. You've lost me and you've lost most of America. Because I believe having responsible choices is important to democracy, I'd like to give you some advice and an invitation.

First, the invitation: Come back to us.

Now the advice. You're going to have to come up with a platform that isn't built on a foundation of cowardice: fear of people with colors, religions, cultures and sex lives that differ from your own; fear of reform in banking, health care, energy; fantasy fears of America being transformed into an Islamic nation, into social/commun/fasc-ism, into a disarmed populace put in internment camps; and more. But you have work to do even before you take on that task.

Your party -- the GOP -- and the conservative end of the American political spectrum has become irresponsible and irrational. Worse, it's tolerating, promoting and celebrating prejudice and hatred. Let me provide some expamples -- by no means an exhaustive list -- of where the Right as gotten itself stuck in a swamp of hypocrisy, hyperbole, historical inaccuracy and hatred.

If you're going to regain your stature as a party of rational, responsible people, you'll have to start by draining this swamp:

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com...ive.php?ref=mp
I have never been registered Republican (been a Dem, Green and now Independent), but, I sure do remember it being a very different party! Thanks for posting this!

Drained Elephants find your way back home!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #69
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

BUMPING this post- USE THESE phone numbers! Send letters, emails... this has to STOP!! ACT!!! Thanks Greyson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
I invite you to join in this effort of letting our elected officials and the US Capitol Police know, we as a people will not sit passively and quietly while this assault upon our elected officials takes place in our nation's capitol while doing the work of our nation.

Where was the US Capitol Police when United States Congressmen were being spat upon and being subjected to implied threats, racists and homophobic comments?

Must we wait for one of them to be seriously and permanently injured or worse? I think not. It is time to take back OUR country from the Right Wing Extremist that are leading this Republic down the path of destruction.

For the record, if Left leaning people were acting in this same manner, I would be just as disturbed by such despicable behavior.

Finally, please do not give me the "Freedom of Speech" sentiment. It is not Freedom of Speech to use hateful disparaging language that incites fear and to spit upon another human being.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

1:00a.m. - 5:00a.m.: Ray expresses his outrage over a group of tea party protesters who on Saturday menaced and harassed three Black Democratic lawmakers, including Rep. John Lewis (D-GA), a hero of the civil rights movement, Representatives André Carson of Indiana, and Emanuel Cleaver II of Missouri. The protesters hurled the N-word at the Congressmen as they walked to the Capitol to hear President Obama’s final speech on healthcare reform. One of the lawmakers, Emanuel Cleaver was spat upon. Teapartiers also shouted the homophobic slur “faggot” and “homo” to Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA), as the group laughed. Ray is encouraging KGO listeners to express their outrage over the spitting and slurs directed at the lawmakers.

To express your outrage, contact Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi's District Office in San Francisco at (415) 556-4862 or her Capitol office in Washington, D.C. at (202) 225-4965. Email Congresswoman Pelosi at: AmericanVoices@mail.house.gov

To register a complaint with the United States Capitol Police, call (202) 224-9806.

To reach the Congressional Switchboard, dial 1-866-220-0044 and ask to be connected to your district representative's office.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #70
key

How Do You Identify?:
androgynous, gender-queer, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
depends on person addressing me
Relationship Status:
merrily single hopefully married one day

key Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default every moment in history is unique

so any comparisons I make in this thread I make knowing full well that they are incomplete and inadequate. I post anyway.

Imagine the US in the early 1770's. Imagine being a revolutionary thinker like Thomas Payne. Imagine the courage it took to question the authority of the strongest military, the mightiest empire on the planet. It blows my mind that the signers of the Declaration of Independence were literally signing their own death warrants - if things had gone differently.

The courage and ACTION that is required today is no less (but no more) than what was required then. The sad thing is that the enemy today is within our midsts. I am very sad to say that my own blood relative brothers an sisters, while I would never expect them to spit on or yell derogatory remarks, get their information and encouragement from the same sources as those that do.

If I could have my way I would file our country for a no fault divorce. The divide that led to the civil war is still with us. It has just been festering underground. The only thing that has changed after the civil war is that on the surface, our better angels prevailed. Our lesser devils went underground. The house that was divided then, is still divided. I wish we could just split up once and for all. I do not regret that Lincoln kept the states together, because slavery (in America) ended (even that went "away" into far off lands, but still has not ended).

I would honestly like to start a secession party. For the good of all of us. This may be the one area where the sane and crazies among us can agree.

key is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to key For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #71
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Although, I can't get behind the Coffee Party movement (too conservative, but might help drain the Tea Party swamp, dunno...) , this quote says a lot to me-

"If our children acted like our politicians are acting right now they would be grounded for a very long time," says Ryan Clayton, a Coffee Party spokesperson in Washington DC.

I do understand why people are freaked about our national debt. It does hurt us all. I want the new Health-Care Reform actions to be fully funded so that they can work! But there has to be a way for this concern to be addressed in a manner other than via racist lunatics!

While watching Obama sign the health-Care Reform Bill, I cried for my neighbor and best buddy, Kenny. An African American man that died 3 years ago as a 57 year old, uninsured citizen. A hard working self-employed carpenter with a heart of gold. He was such a good friend to me. As I saw him getting sick, and not being able to get diagnostic care as well cancer treatment, I was outraged. Yet, he represents so many. Other people's relatives and buddies, parents, kids. I also cried for Kenny when Obama was elected because Kenny didn't live to see him take office.

Kenny had all of the untreated ailments that so many uninsured POC have (high blood pressure, etc.) that are easily treated with preventative care and access to medical care. His cancer might very well have been detected in time for it to be treated. His mother (in her late 80's) does have SS and MediCare, but can't afford supplemental insurance. She skips taking prescription medications she needs continually.

And kenny's common-law wife had to work and could not be home with him as he was failing. I used to go over during the day and fix him lunch and watch sports with him. I loved spending this time with him, but saw how his wife earned to be able to be with him during his last weeks and days.

I am so tired of these conditions in the USA.... and I am happy to pay more in taxes if it gets to needing more $ from people under that $200,000/year mark. My property taxes are nuts, but, if somehow they had an attached tax for health care for all, I will pay it with a smile. And, I have no problem at all with any immigrant of any status getting health care. To raise healthy, productive children, parents need to be healthy!

Sure, I feel the impact of higher taxes and want the government to make sure they stop fraud and abuse in our health care systems (MediCare), but there is no way that I want private insurance companies to continue make profits of over 400% on my back and have people go without medical care!

Last edited by AtLast; 03-23-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: additions
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #72
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by key View Post
I would honestly like to start a secession party. For the good of all of us. This may be the one area where the sane and crazies among us can agree.
Then they win, and the fanatics have succeeded in taking your own country away from you.

I used to be a Libertarian, back in my idealistic days. I used to believe the federal government had overstepped its bounds, that the individual states' rights were being eroded, that the individual citizens were being taxed unfairly and wrongly.

I don't believe those things anymore. I believe that only the federal government (including the federal judiciary system) has the ability to force the states to respect the rights of all individual citizens, and I believe that it is foolish to believe that we could run a country this size without taxes. I also believe we pay lower taxes than most similarly developed countries.

Are we under attack? Oh yes, indeed. Is it bringing out the very worst in some of our citizens? Oh yes, indeed. Will it probably need national outrage at the corporate greed and inflamed bigotry to get our country back? Oh yes, indeed.

This is the time, right now when we most want to give up, to leave, to withdraw from the fray and just let them have the place, this is the time when we are most urgently needed.

There are loads of ways to make a difference. I have never, ever been a politically active person, but I found a way to make my voice heard after the voting booth. I joined change.org and they routinely send me alerts that include emails to send to my Congressperson. Here is their link about the Tea Party.

http://www.change.org/petitions/view/tell_congressional_republicans_to_denounce_the_vic ious_tea_party_attacks

I also joined Organizing For America. They send me emails that include the direct phone numbers to my Congresspeople, so that I can call and register my wishes on any particular issue.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

There are other ways which are more active, but even these small ways can be part of the bulwark that stands firm and says, "no more hate!"

Please, don't go away. Don't be diverted by the seeming power of hate. Don't allow them to take your own country away from you. Take positive action, even a very small positive action, even so small as signing petitions and sending emails--because every positive action YOU take will double the positive action I take, and together we will double the positive actions taken by just two of our friends, and together we will double the positive action taken by four of our neighbors--and soon WE will be the sweeping tide of change, unstoppable, demanding that our country be run for the good of all.

Please, now is when we need you the very most. Please, don't go.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #73
Zimmeh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Me
Relationship Status:
I am a human and not a possession

Thanked 13,441 Times in 4,316 Posts
Zimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST Reputation

You are welcome and thanks for asking for clarification. Have you read a book called, "Things Fall Apart?" by Achebe? If you haven't it is a good historical book.

Have a good day,

Zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadgeek View Post
Okay, thank you. I thought that's what you meant but I wasn't sure so I thought I would ask.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #74
Zimmeh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Me
Relationship Status:

Zimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST Reputation

Good Afternoon AtLast,

When I resigned from my job and put in for a transfer with my company so I could move to be with my ex, my regional manager terminated me and I lost my health insurance. I received the paperwork to continue the COBRA coverage, but it is over $500 a month, which I cannot afford since I no longer have a job. Since this is a right to work state, he can fire me for anything...

Have a good day,

Zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
Although, I can't get behind the Coffee Party movement (too conservative, but might help drain the Tea Party swamp, dunno...) , this quote says a lot to me-

"If our children acted like our politicians are acting right now they would be grounded for a very long time," says Ryan Clayton, a Coffee Party spokesperson in Washington DC.

I do understand why people are freaked about our national debt. It does hurt us all. I want the new Health-Care Reform actions to be fully funded so that they can work! But there has to be a way for this concern to be addressed in a manner other than via racist lunatics!

While watching Obama sign the health-Care Reform Bill, I cried for my neighbor and best buddy, Kenny. An African American man that died 3 years ago as a 57 year old, uninsured citizen. A hard working self-employed carpenter with a heart of gold. He was such a good friend to me. As I saw him getting sick, and not being able to get diagnostic care as well cancer treatment, I was outraged. Yet, he represents so many. Other people's relatives and buddies, parents, kids. I also cried for Kenny when Obama was elected because Kenny didn't live to see him take office.

Kenny had all of the untreated ailments that so many uninsured POC have (high blood pressure, etc.) that are easily treated with preventative care and access to medical care. His cancer might very well have been detected in time for it to be treated. His mother (in her late 80's) does have SS and MediCare, but can't afford supplemental insurance. She skips taking prescription medications she needs continually.

And kenny's common-law wife had to work and could not be home with him as he was failing. I used to go over during the day and fix him lunch and watch sports with him. I loved spending this time with him, but saw how his wife earned to be able to be with him during his last weeks and days.

I am so tired of these conditions in the USA.... and I am happy to pay more in taxes if it gets to needing more $ from people under that $200,000/year mark. My property taxes are nuts, but, if somehow they had an attached tax for health care for all, I will pay it with a smile. And, I have no problem at all with any immigrant of any status getting health care. To raise healthy, productive children, parents need to be healthy!

Sure, I feel the impact of higher taxes and want the government to make sure they stop fraud and abuse in our health care systems (MediCare), but there is no way that I want private insurance companies to continue make profits of over 400% on my back and have people go without medical care!
The Following User Says Thank You to Zimmeh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #75
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

WOW, that is as much as I pay per month for a group policy myself, which is high- I'm stuck with this at the moment due to pre-existing conditions. So, as soon as the part of the new bill goes into effect banning the pre-existing refusal, I will look around. And I live in a state that is usually more expensive in every damn thing!

Now, from what I can tell (and yes, I have been watching this closely all year), the new legislation will also cut the costs for high risk policies or eliminate them.

I know we have to wait out the complete process of implementation of the new legislation, but, I think you may now have a chance for some coverage within 6 months that is more affordable.

I in no way see this as a panacea, only a single-payer system would be that for me. I also know that I am in a group of people that will not reap much savings for a few years. But, I am OK with this for now because of the millions more that will get some coverage and preventive care. I am especially concerned with poor people that are at such risk with obesity (including their kids) and things like diabetes. They have no means to get care and education about nutrition and better ways to prepare food.

What is so amazing to me is that this has brought to the forefront the most ugly of the ugly of people that have so much and don't want to give a little for others to become more healthy. This will cut costs in the long run as well as give people a fighting chance. We have to get people to stop using ER rooms for primary care! That is such a waste of money!!

I have been thinking about a way to just have a small group in my home to teach food preparation that cuts down fat intake. Trying to figure a way to start this. Maybe via my community center where I live. I would love having a few teen mothers on a rotational basis to just bring them some basics. Gotta explore how I might be able to do this. No gourmet here, but have some good basic skills with low-fat cooking.

One really great thing about retirement is having time to do these sorts of things. yes, my working and professional life gave me a lot of satisfaction, but, this is another way to feel this in a much broader sense.

Quote:
Good Afternoon AtLast,

When I resigned from my job and put in for a transfer with my company so I could move to be with my ex, my regional manager terminated me and I lost my health insurance. I received the paperwork to continue the COBRA coverage, but it is over $500 a month, which I cannot afford since I no longer have a job. Since this is a right to work state, he can fire me for anything...

Have a good day,

Zimmy
Old 03-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #76
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I received the paperwork to continue the COBRA coverage, but it is over $500 a month, which I cannot afford since I no longer have a job.
Could you afford it if it was only $175 a month?

COBRA Continuation Coverage Assistance Under ARRA

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), as amended on March 2, 2010 by the Temporary Extension Act of 2010, provides for premium reductions for health benefits under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985, commonly called COBRA. Eligible individuals pay only 35 percent of their COBRA premiums and the remaining 65 percent is reimbursed to the coverage provider through a tax credit. To qualify, individuals must experience a COBRA qualifying event that is the involuntary termination of a covered employee's employment. The involuntary termination must generally occur during the period that began September 1, 2008 and ends on March 31, 2010. (An involuntary termination of employment that occurs on or after March 2, 2010 but by March 31, 2010 and follows a qualifying event that was a reduction of hours that occurred at any time from September 1, 2008 through March 31, 2010 is also a qualifying event for purposes of ARRA.) The premium reduction applies to periods of health coverage that began on or after February 17, 2009 and lasts for up to 15 months. See Temporary Extension Act of 2010.

linkyloo
Old 03-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #77
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums
Default FYI: hope for the GOP to "drain the swamp?"

GOP, step away from the Tea Party
After the racist and homophobic insults used at a rally against healthcare reform, Republicans should Denounce the Tea Party

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ist-homophobic

Lola Adesioye

Over the past year, the Tea Party movement has grown to the point where it can get a great deal of press attention and exposure. While that may be a good thing for the Tea Party, it is proving to be not necessarily so for the Republican party, which has jumped onto the Tea Party bandwagon.
Some Republicans may have become affiliated with the Tea Party movement in the hope of aligning themselves with an invigorated and energetic grassroots conservative movement. Instead, Republicans are now finding themselves in alignment with a movement in which some members feel that it is OK to shout out racist and homophobic insults (including the N-word) and spit at Congressmen as happened this weekend when the Tea Party protested against healthcare reform on Capitol Hill.
Despite the weekend's shocking behaviour – one Congressman and civil rights leader, John Lewis, said he had not experienced such attacks since the 1960s – Republicans, particularly GOP chairman Michael Steele, spent the weekend defending and rationalising those Tea Party goers' actions. This is dangerous ground for the Republican party.
There are some benefits of getting involved in a movement that is not clearly defined. The Tea Party was originally framed in the media as an umbrella movement for a bunch of disgruntled Conservatives, whatever their discontent may be. On that level, the Tea Party presented an opportunity for Republicans to gain some leverage.
The flip side is that a movement with no specific cause attracts all sorts of people with all sorts of agendas, which can put the GOP in a tricky position, and potentially turn important voters against them. The idea of what a "conservative" or "Republican" is continues to be shaped and distorted by a minority of people on the fringes who get the most attention. This does nothing to attract new supporters or independents and it may indeed turn off existing, more moderate Republican supporters. This is not a good strategy for the 2010 elections – unless that is, the GOP is looking to portray itself as a very rightwing, almost extremist party.
The obstructionist attitude may have worked while healthcare reform was still going through Congress, but with its passing, it is likely that public sentiment may continue to warm in the president's direction. The fringe elements of the Tea Party will only start to look more and more repulsive which would only harm the Republicans, making them look even more narrow and one-dimensional.
"Appealing to the base" seems to be a key concern of Republicans, but if the base is the type of people who were at the rally this weekend and Republicans do not denounce that type of behaviour, the Tea Party may start to be of more harm to the Republicans than good. Yet, this all leads back to the question that was raised after Barack Obama's election, which is what the GOP actually stands for. Right now, it looks like the Tea Party is getting to say who the Republicans are. And that's a type of tea that many people might not want to drink come election time.

FYI- Huff Post article on the 13 Attorneys General Threaten Lawsuit Over Health Care Reform

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_407684.html

And-
Obama, Democrats Begin Reaping Political Benefits Of Reform

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_510563.html

"Only hours after the president signed health care reform legislation into law on Tuesday, the immediate political benefits for the Democratic Party are already coming into focus...." read more via the link...

Last edited by AtLast; 03-23-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: additions
Old 03-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #78
Zimmeh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Me
Relationship Status:

Good Evening Ms,

Thank you for this information and yes I could afford it.

Have a good evening,

Zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDemeanor View Post
Could you afford it if it was only $175 a month?

COBRA Continuation Coverage Assistance Under ARRA

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), as amended on March 2, 2010 by the Temporary Extension Act of 2010, provides for premium reductions for health benefits under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985, commonly called COBRA. Eligible individuals pay only 35 percent of their COBRA premiums and the remaining 65 percent is reimbursed to the coverage provider through a tax credit. To qualify, individuals must experience a COBRA qualifying event that is the involuntary termination of a covered employee's employment. The involuntary termination must generally occur during the period that began September 1, 2008 and ends on March 31, 2010. (An involuntary termination of employment that occurs on or after March 2, 2010 but by March 31, 2010 and follows a qualifying event that was a reduction of hours that occurred at any time from September 1, 2008 through March 31, 2010 is also a qualifying event for purposes of ARRA.) The premium reduction applies to periods of health coverage that began on or after February 17, 2009 and lasts for up to 15 months. See Temporary Extension Act of 2010.

linkyloo
Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #79
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Thank you for this information and yes I could afford it.
Very cool!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #80
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
As a follow-up to this, apparently someone severed the propane tank hose. The original guy claims he's "a little shocked and amazed.".

Really?! Responsibility not required, huh?

(emphasis mine)

Quote:
Source: Daily Progress

Updated: 1:55 p.m. Federal and local authorities are investigating a severed gas line at the home of U.S. Rep. Tom Perriello’s brother, discovered the day after Tea Party activists posted the address online so opponents could “drop by” and “express their thanks” for Perriello’s vote in favor of health care reform.

The gas line connected a propane tank to a gas grill on the home’s screened-in porch, according to sources in Tom Perriello’s office.
The incident is being viewed as an attempted threat to a member of congress, sources said.

Two members of the conservative Tea Party groups in Danville and Lynchburg posted the home’s address online Monday, mistakenly believing it belonged to the congressman. The home actually belongs to Bo Perriello, the congressman’s older brother.

The local FBI field office and the Albemarle County fire marshal are investigating the incident. Police have stepped up patrols in the area as well.

Albemarle County spokeswoman Lee Catlin confirmed that county authorities are investigating an incident at Bo Perriello’s home in cooperation with the FBI, but she said she cannot comment on the specifics because it is an ongoing investigation.

“The Fire Marshal’s Office is conducting the investigation in cooperation with the FBI,” Catlin said. “While officials are not willing to characterize the exact nature of the incident because of the ongoing investigation, it did not involve an immediate threat to occupants of the residence. Officials are taking the incident very seriously and conducting a vigorous investigation. Additional details will be released as the investigation continues.”

M.A. Myers, a spokesman with the FBI’s Richmond field office, confirmed that the agency is “aware” of the severing of the gas line at Bo Perriello’s house.

“At this point, all I can really confirm is that we are aware of that situation,” he said.

Danville Tea Party leader Nigel Coleman was one of the two activists who posted Bo Perriello’s address online Monday.

“This is Rep. Thomas Stuart Price Perriello’s home address,” Coleman wrote Monday. “… I ain’t holding back anymore!!”

According to the Danville Register & Bee site, when Coleman learned that the address actually belonged to the congressman’s brother, he responded on a blog: “Do you mean I posted his brother’s address on my Facebook? Oh well, collateral damage.”
Coleman told The Daily Progress today that he is “shocked” and “almost speechless” at the possibility that someone would sever the propane line to Perriello’s brother’s house.

“I obviously condemn these actions,” he said. “I would hope that people aren’t thinking about doing anything crazy. We just wanted people to get close to the congressman and have their voices heard. Violence is not going to answer anything. I’m a little shocked and amazed.”

Coleman added that he is not certain that the incident is related to the posting of the home’s address. “Of course, we don’t know this is a related event,” he said.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote