betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

I think it's icky to behave as though she said that "All Butches are basically short men with boobs! BOOOOOOOOOOBS! MENNNNN! BOOOOOOBS!"

And for the record - none of us know how this person self-identifies. There's nothing to indicate that Nixon's lovah identifies as a Butch. Nixon referred to her "butchness" but that's not the same thing - I'm sure we all know that. Plus, further on in the article Nixon did reject the notion that they were in a Butch+Femme relationship.

I bet you'll all be real upset to hear that I tend to refer to my spouse as "the short hair" and myself as "the long hair". OMG I have oppressed us all!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #22
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

I find it interesting that in this instance, many are so willing to shrug and say, "well, who knows? Maybe that's how she identifies, that's all that matters, etc." Why is that all that matters? That is NOT something we would say if the comment was in reference to someone's ethnicity or ability, for example. You wouldn't refer to someone as a "crip," or "white trash" even if they refer to themselves that way. The exact point I am making here is that we tolerate comments like this about women, shrug them off, make it a personal thing, instead of having a community standard that says it's not okay to refer to butches as "men with boobs."
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #23
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,783 Times in 4,470 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

The hue and cry would be different if it were about femmes or trans men or male identified butches.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #24
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
I wonder what the reaction would be if a public figure described their femme partner as basically a short/tall woman with boobs? How about a trans guy? Somehow it's ok to reduce butches to short men with boobs?
and it's ok to say that butches who FEEL like short men with boobs have to be something else?

Again.. not everything fits everyone...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #25
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I wonder if that is what goes through peoples mind after they've called my Beloved *Sir* and THEN noticed hys boobs? Either way, you can always see that moment of recognition....
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #26
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
and it's ok to say that butches who FEEL like short men with boobs have to be something else?

Again.. not everything fits everyone...
LOL, I've never heard of a butch describing themselves as a short man with boobs. Is this a new gender identity?

- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 05-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #27
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
I find it interesting that in this instance, many are so willing to shrug and say, "well, who knows? Maybe that's how she identifies, that's all that matters, etc." Why is that all that matters? That is NOT something we would say if the comment was in reference to someone's ethnicity or ability, for example. You wouldn't refer to someone as a "crip," or "white trash" even if they refer to themselves that way. The exact point I am making here is that we tolerate comments like this about women, shrug them off, make it a personal thing, instead of having a community standard that says it's not okay to refer to butches as "men with boobs."
Heart..

She is saying that HER butch is... not that all butches are...

There is a difference...

It's just as wrong trying to force your (general your's, not your's personaly) ID on someone as it is to try to says that all are something because one is...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #28
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
The hue and cry would be different if it were about femmes or trans men or male identified butches.
I don't think the comment would be made about femmes - who afterall, express more "traditional" (read: understood, expected) woman-hood, so of course they have BOOBS.

I agree that any reference to transmen or male-ided queers and BOOBS would immediately be seen as disrespectful, rather than shrugged off or justified. But the reference wouldn't get made as easily because of the privleging of male identity. It's specifically women, in this instance masculine women, that are supposed to suck it up and just have a sense of humor about any reference to BOOBS.

Even in context, I find Nixon's statement utterly objectifying and basically stupid.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #29
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
LOL, I've never heard of a butch describing themselves as a short man with boobs. Is this a new gender identity?
There are more things Heratio..

Ever heard of a native american straight woman being a white,redneck, conservitive man?

Just because you haven't heard it, doesn't make it not true...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #30
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Not from me, it's not. I don't give a rats ass how two people in an adult relationship describe one another - provided it doesn't hurt the feelings of the ONE person being described.

Quote:
You've never heard a butch refer to his/her/hys/whatever breasts as "man boobs"? Really? Because I have. I'm actually pretty sure that my own spouse has said that.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #31
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Heart..

She is saying that HER butch is... not that all butches are...

There is a difference...

It's just as wrong trying to force your (general your's, not your's personaly) ID on someone as it is to try to says that all are something because one is...

You are completely missing my point.

The only thing I am trying to force, and will continue to try and force, is recognition that women exist along a diverse spectrum of gender and sexual identities, all the way from ultra-feminine to ultra-masculine, and that being ultra-masculine does NOT make one male anymore than being ultra-feminine makes one straight.

Does that expalin it better??
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #32
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
Not from me, it's not. I don't give a rats ass how two people in an adult relationship describe one another - provided it doesn't hurt the feelings of the ONE person being described.

You've never heard a butch refer to his/her/hys/whatever breasts as "man boobs"? Really? Because I have. I'm actually pretty sure that my own spouse has said that.
I wasn't referring to body parts, I was referring to human beings.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
The Following User Says Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #33
turasultana

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
spoken for

turasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
maybe she's not missing it, just disagreeing with it. which is allowed.

My guess, is its something Cynthia and Christine joke about - Christine "compared to your sex and the city girlfriends I look like a short guy with boobs" and they laugh it off. Cynthia said it in the Advocate, probably among a zillion other things they didn't even print - and huffington post and ny post and whoever else, took the most quotable, (perhaps unfortunate) line and used it as a teaser.

now we're beating it into the ground. (me too of course, but just cause my boss is off today :>)
turasultana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to turasultana For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #34
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turasultana View Post
maybe she's not missing it, just disagreeing with it. which is allowed.

My guess, is its something Cynthia and Christine joke about - Christine "compared to your sex and the city girlfriends I look like a short guy with boobs" and they laugh it off. Cynthia said it in the Advocate, probably among a zillion other things they didn't even print - and huffington post and ny post and whoever else, took the most quotable, (perhaps unfortunate) line and used it as a teaser.
No actually, Random was missing it - because I'm not forcing anything on anyone, they can id however they want, in fact it's irrelevant to my point what their personal ids and relationship and lover's jokes are.

Nixon's comment leads me to make this point (as I did above): women exist along a diverse spectrum of gender and sexual identities, all the way from ultra-feminine to ultra-masculine. Being ultra-masculine does NOT make one a man anymore than being ultra-feminine makes one straight.

That, in a nutshell, is my point.

Heart
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #35
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:

The only thing I am trying to force, and will continue to try and force, is recognition that women exist along a diverse spectrum of gender and sexual identities, all the way from ultra-feminine to ultra-masculine, and that being ultra-masculine does NOT make one male anymore than being ultra-feminine makes one straight.

Does that expalin it better??
No.. I didn't miss your point...

Lol.. this is just one subject we don't agree upon...

Because I belive that there are more ways to id... more diversity on the spectrum of gender and sexual identities that there are words to describe them...

and a couple of ways that ultra masculine people ID is male and ultra feminine ID is straight..

For SOME People those are truths... Nothing is true of everyone... And for me... Those people who do fall into the *Tradidional Sterotypes* have just as much voice/rights to ID as THEY ID as those who don't fall into the traditional...

For me... Not one way is better.... the entire range is right for those who feel it is right for them...

If you are a femaled id'd butch.. yea.. if you are male id'd... yea... if you are a high femme who id's a a straight mother and wife... yea.. if you are a femme dyke (me!) who loves her doc's as much as her stillettos and wants to bring her butch dinner while wearing a apron over her camo's... Yea...

There is a place for all of us... We might not fit every where.. with everyone.. but there is room for all of us...
Old 05-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #36
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

When someone makes a public comment that many would construe as transphobic- that's what it's called- transphobic. People don't bend their ass over backwards trying to find something clever or cute about it.

What is said or shared between a couple in private is between them.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #37
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Default If I may objectify your honey for one moment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
I wonder if that is what goes through peoples mind after they've called my Beloved *Sir* and THEN noticed hys boobs? Either way, you can always see that moment of recognition....

Personally...

I think it's hot... grin...

I love that moment then things don't mesh...

Sort of like the look in people eyes when they find out between the amazon and myself.. I'm the Top...

Grin.. Priceless..
Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #38
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
She thinks all my jokes are corny

Thanked 1,839 Times in 500 Posts
Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

So, she's not allowed to be referred to by her partner (someone who obviously knows her as they live together, and they're raising children together) as a 'man with boobs', but she IS allowed to be referred to by complete strangers on the internet as 'a butch' (which she may not ID with at all, and being that her partner has pretty much stated they don't ID as a butch/femme couple, we can infer that she doesn't ID as a butch)

And all because complete strangers on the internet feel they have a right to tag her as THEY deem fit, and in a way in which makes THEM comfortable.

And this is justified with 'personal IDs are out of fashion this year'?

Oh, Ok,
Dylan
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Dylan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #39
Bob

How Do You Identify?:
Jackass.

Bob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I don't think each and every personal story and id necessarily takes precidence over cultural expressions of sexism, misogyny, and homophobia towards butch women. And that's how this reads to me. If nothing else, Nixon's language was careless and dismissive towards masculine women, whether her partner identifies as male or female, (and as far as I know, she ids as female), is irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
And for the record - none of us know how this person self-identifies. There's nothing to indicate that Nixon's lovah identifies as a Butch.
So, I'm going to pick on Bete's comment first, because I like her and because it is part of our relationship that we constantly antagonize one another with delicious malice aforethought. So, in short: CRAP. And to all other posters who said essentially the same thing.

Heart's comment is really the uh, heart of the issue. Regardless of whether one doesn't mind being called a 'short man with boobs', the larger concern is the language (and through it, the thought) that engenders the ongoing belittlement of of masculine WOMEN, because, ya know, it's all RELATIVE to the individual and their own identity.

One's own identity is never (or should never be) the paramount concern in any 'community'. The idea of a community itself implies that its larger than any one individual. As long as we, as a community, continue to use (or condone) language that has the essential power to demean others because we're afraid of being 'judgemental' or similar happy horseshit, we demean the entire community, and consequently, ourselves.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #40
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Hey Heart,

Hope it's ok to tease this out a little more.

I also believe that women exist on a gender spectrum that is as diverse as it is prolific.
Im wondering if, in the article, Cynthia had referred to her partner as "Trans" if the "man with boobs" comment would mean something different to you? What if her partner comes out as Trans in a few days? Would that feel any different when trying to name something on our gender spectrum that may exist in a completely different capacity on someone else's?
Because to me, it does make a difference how that person identifies, if the comment was ok for their way of being or if it was an insensitive, erasing snip.

I was sitting here kinda thinking over a couple of the conversations I have had with some of my Trans Male friends and how a couple have actually talked about feeling like a "man with boobs" until they were able to have the surgery to make their body fit more in-line with what they felt their identity called for.

I was also thinking about the negative comments on this particular article and how it saddens me so deeply that our entire spectrum of Queerness is so often fetishized and/or treated as a voyeur-circus for mouth-breathing idiots.

More thoughts..
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post: