Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > In The News

Old 01-15-2010, 06:33 AM   #21
wolfwalker

How Do You Identify?:
human

wolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to behold
Default anti-christ

it is my opinion that Pat and his crew are really the leading troops for the coming of the anti-christ. They suck in all the stupid people and march on. I have no seen them announce any donations to helping these poor people.

Evil is still evil, no matter whose name you invoke it.

wolfwalker
wolfwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wolfwalker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 06:53 AM   #22
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Maybe he does believe in curses. While he has no missions in Haiti, he has quite a few in French speaking ( formerly French occupied) countries in Africa.

May have to look up where he stood with the American boycott of all things "French" after shock and awe. Bet he has a blessed fry daddy for his secret stash of french fries!

Alas, I should pray for him.

Sweet dreams Pat

Sends him a nice choc bunny for Easter...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsvlqdPg8XU"]YouTube- Curse of the Zombie Jesus![/ame]
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #23
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
It wasn't rhetorical. Thank you Selly for answering.

I am most concerned not with just this (and many others) remark from Roberston, I am concerned that shows like "Meet the Press" regularly have Robertson and other 700 Club correspondents on as pundits. They are not political figures, have no bearing on the inner workings of the USA or other nations. Yet, they are on show after show spouting this rhetoric as though they have a role in things. As though it was fact.

Lots of people are *sheeple* and believe everything on television. That impact is what worries me and scares me in my heart of hearts.

Its a mistake to believe that the "Pat Robertsons" of the world have no bearing on the inner workings of the US. The man has half a billion dollars coming in yearly for his "mission". Politics (and politicians) are controlled by money and Pat Robertson is heavily invested in politics (not just in the US, he is also heavily invested overseas).

Its a mistake to think that Pat is just a moronic old fool (although he is). That fool and others of his ilk control votes in our Congress and Senate. THAT is what is really terrifying about this.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #24
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Dig a little deeper about his financial empire.

He has several diamond and other gemstone mines all over Africa...........

He and that man in the funny hat and dress better known as the Pope are both evil fuckers.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #25
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post

He and that man in the funny hat and dress better known as the Pope are both evil fuckers.

But dayam, I love those shoes!!!

clicks red heels together " there's no place like Rome, there's no place like Rome"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #26
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 4,261 Times in 677 Posts
Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
Dig a little deeper about his financial empire.

He has several diamond and other gemstone mines all over Africa...........

(((Toughy,)))

You got all upset when someone accused Mary Daly of being transphobic. How'd you think the Catholics on the site are going to feel when they see the Pope - you know, the guy in the dress who just happens to be the head of the Catholic Church? - being labelled an 'evil fucker'?

I'm not a Christian, let alone Catholic, and really don't care for the current pope myself. Evil fucker though? C'mmon.

Words
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Words For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #27
labete

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
preoccupied

labete has a spectacular aura aboutlabete has a spectacular aura aboutlabete has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post
Its a mistake to believe that the "Pat Robertsons" of the world have no bearing on the inner workings of the US. The man has half a billion dollars coming in yearly for his "mission". Politics (and politicians) are controlled by money and Pat Robertson is heavily invested in politics (not just in the US, he is also heavily invested overseas).

Its a mistake to think that Pat is just a moronic old fool (although he is). That fool and others of his ilk control votes in our Congress and Senate. THAT is what is really terrifying about this.
Robertson is a man of frightening undue influence, and his ilk are highly influential in U.S. politics. Take a look at Wikipedia on "The Fellowship" aka "The Family" (Google for lots more info, or watch Rachel Maddow give you an overview.)

The United States isn't as politically conservative, especially on social issues, as it is because of the "Moral Majority" or high levels of voter backlash against boogeymen. There is some of that, but it's not where the power is. It is because there are people with loads of power and money who are very invested in ensuring that conservatism, and who network, recruit, support in all kinds of ways, people to do the work to make that happen. Some of the faces change, but the mission statement remains the same. It's like the "good ol' boy network," but specifically for socially conservative Christianist politicians and political workers (lobbyists, Congressional and White House staffers, etc.).

Some of them are cynics looking for a good hook into power, and others are true believers in the cause, but either way the net result is the perpetuation of ultra-conservative mores, especially in circles of influence.
labete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to labete For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #28
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by labete View Post
Robertson is a man of frightening undue influence, and his ilk are highly influential in U.S. politics. Take a look at Wikipedia on "The Fellowship" aka "The Family" (Google for lots more info, or watch Rachel Maddow give you an overview.)

The United States isn't as politically conservative, especially on social issues, as it is because of the "Moral Majority" or high levels of voter backlash against boogeymen. There is some of that, but it's not where the power is. It is because there are people with loads of power and money who are very invested in ensuring that conservatism, and who network, recruit, support in all kinds of ways, people to do the work to make that happen. Some of the faces change, but the mission statement remains the same. It's like the "good ol' boy network," but specifically for socially conservative Christianist politicians and political workers (lobbyists, Congressional and White House staffers, etc.).

Some of them are cynics looking for a good hook into power, and others are true believers in the cause, but either way the net result is the perpetuation of ultra-conservative mores, especially in circles of influence.
I agree with you Labete, but this particular incident went further than conservatism - it's pretty clear racism.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #29
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufusboi View Post
Does anyone even pay attention to Robertson any more. He's stuck his foot in his mouth so many times that I think everyone just rolls their eyes and moves on.

Rufus

im rolling my eyes reading this now......... lol

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #30
PapaC

How Do You Identify?:
FTM-Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

PapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words View Post
(((Toughy,)))

You got all upset when someone accused Mary Daly of being transphobic. How'd you think the Catholics on the site are going to feel when they see the Pope - you know, the guy in the dress who just happens to be the head of the Catholic Church? - being labelled an 'evil fucker'?

I'm not a Christian, let alone Catholic, and really don't care for the current pope myself. Evil fucker though? C'mmon.

Words
Considering Mary Daly was a catholic.... Many many catholics around the world over the years have been ummmm... dissatisfied with the politics of women in the church.

Evil fucker? no. misguided? yes.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #31
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Arrow Curse Reversed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
It wasn't rhetorical. Thank you Selly for answering.
I am most concerned not with just this (and many others) remark from Roberston, I am concerned that shows like "Meet the Press" regularly have Robertson and other 700 Club correspondents on as pundits. They are not political figures, have no bearing on the inner workings of the USA or other nations. Yet, they are on show after show spouting this rhetoric as though they have a role in things. As though it was fact.

Lots of people are *sheeple* and believe everything on television. That impact is what worries me and scares me in my heart of hearts.
Amen = so be it *,
as exclaimed by the many watching Robertson and cronies on TV.

I was cruising the Pacific Coast highway from San Diego along a beautiful stretch enjoying the view of the ocean** when I crashed..No.not really** the ocean, and heard a story about the voodoo curse being lifted by a group years ago. So I guess Pat R. didn't know God reversed the worse curse cause Pat doesn't listen to public radio . If we are what we eat, are we what we listen too also.? Thinking I will tune in to the Kids channel so I can be a super hero today.. Since the airwaves bring the truth, as does the written word to many, thought I would contribute to the knowledge base.. tells the truth and nothing but the truth so help me God. (doesn't say which God) So, here is the link and part of the story I heard...for those who like to read..--->http://redtory.wordpress.com/2010/01/13/haiti’s-“devil-pact”-explained/

Excerpt below:

So there… even if one actually subscribes to the “Devil Pact” legend, as Robertson appears to, the unholy contract was voided some years ago by Christian do-gooder

On 14 August 1997, God’s people in Haiti experienced a historic victory over Satan, a milestone in winning our country back for God. The reason lies in history. The slaves brought here from Africa have suffered incredibly for many years. On 14 August 1791, a slave leader by the name of Boukman called a secret meeting in a wood called Bois-Caiman near Cap Haitien, which was attended by a large number of slaves. They celebrated a satanic ceremony, sacrificing a pig and drinking its blood, swore to serve the Devil and dedicated Haiti to him. For 206 years, Bois-Caiman was a very holy place, a high place which could only be entered by witch doctors during Voodoo ceremonies. For 206 years, they have been meeting there every August 14 to sacrifice to Satan.

A number of Christian leaders, including Paul and Gerald Clerie of Vision: Haiti and Christian leaders among the large numbers of Haitians in the USA, Canada, France and other countries, called Christians to unite on 14 August 1997 to pray and fast that Haiti would return to God. In Haiti’s towns, villages and mountains, Christians came together to fast and pray, held victory marches in the streets and a large event in the capital from 6am to 10pm during the holy invasion.

Our church members started their march in front of the President’s palace and marched for 6 hours to the place where the satanic ceremony took place 206 years ago. We had informed the government and media of our intentions weeks before the event, and were told that the witch doctors would be there, as they were every year. When we arrived, they had hidden themselves, unable to directly confront the Christians. It was a significant spiritual battle to reach the tree under which the pig was sacrificed in the original ceremony. We formed a Jericho march, circling the magic tree seven times. On the seventh time around, God gave many people a vision of the Devil fleeing from the area. The Christians were overjoyed. We cancelled the satanic contract and broke the curse, before celebrating communion and dedicating the area as a place of prayer. We also declared 14 August to be a national prayer day, on which people should pray that Haiti will return to God.

On the same day, several witch doctors were saved during the events in the capital. Three days after our holy invasion, the witch doctors returned to Bois-Caiman to bring their sacrifices and call on the spirits. After days of effort, nothing happened, because we had commanded the spirits never to return and dedicated the area to Christ.

The witch doctors complained to the government and media. At first, the government also protested, speaking in a press release of ‘terrible damage to a Voodoo holy place in which no Christian had set foot for 206 years.’ By the grace of God, the government relented and respected our legal right as Haitians to gather at any place on Haiti, including Bois-Caiman, where they now allow all Christian groups to meet. The place is now very popular, and local Christians gather there daily for prayer and fasting. All Haitians now know that the country no longer has a pact with the Devil; the contract has been cancelled, the curse broken.

So there… even if one actually subscribes to the “Devil Pact” legend, as Robertson appears to, the unholy contract was voided some years ago by Christian do-gooder..." see link for full story.

There is hope. We have our own Planet...speaking the language of LOVE...
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #32
labete

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
preoccupied

labete has a spectacular aura aboutlabete has a spectacular aura aboutlabete has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersuebee View Post
I agree with you Labete, but this particular incident went further than conservatism - it's pretty clear racism.
I understand, but from where I sit, they are inextricably linked. Conservatism is about preserving a way of life based on the kyrarchy; racism is an integral part of that.

Now, many people may call themselves conservative or hold conservative positions without consciously supporting racism, without believing in the most base credo of racism (that there are natural or divinely-given differences among races which result in racial superiority and inferiority), but when their choices and actions support a kyriarchy that reifies positions of privelege linked to race, class, ethnicity, sex, gender, religion, national origin, etc., the end result is one of reaffirming those racist beliefs and their power in our culture.
The Following User Says Thank You to labete For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #33
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post

Yeah. That was kind of my point.

I was being literal and logical in that he has WAY to much power for a moronic old fool.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #34
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Quote:
I understand, but from where I sit, they are inextricably linked. Conservatism is about preserving a way of life based on the kyrarchy; racism is an integral part of that.

Now, many people may call themselves conservative or hold conservative positions without consciously supporting racism, without believing in the most base credo of racism (that there are natural or divinely-given differences among races which result in racial superiority and inferiority), but when their choices and actions support a kyriarchy that reifies positions of privelege linked to race, class, ethnicity, sex, gender, religion, national origin, etc., the end result is one of reaffirming those racist beliefs and their power in our culture.

Hope not to derail, but what is kyrachy/kyriarchy? I tried to look it up so I could read your post in context, but can't find a definition.

Much appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #35
labete

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
preoccupied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Hope not to derail, but what is kyrachy/kyriarchy? I tried to look it up so I could read your post in context, but can't find a definition.

Much appreciated.
Sorry, I typed too fast and misspelled at least once. It's kyriarchy.

Quote:
Kyriarchy – a neologism coined by Elisabeth Schussler Fiorenza and derived from the Greek words for “lord” or “master” (kyrios) and “to rule or dominate” (archein) which seeks to redefine the analytic category of patriarchy in terms of multiplicative intersecting structures of domination…Kyriarchy is best theorized as a complex pyramidal system of intersecting multiplicative social structures of superordination and subordination, of ruling and oppression.

Patriarchy – Literally means the rule of the father and is generally understood within feminist discourses in a dualistic sense as asserting the domination of all men over all women in equal terms. The theoretical adequacy of patriarchy has been challenged because, for instance, black men do not have control over white wo/men and some women (slave/mistresses) have power over subaltern women and men (slaves).

- Glossary, Wisdom Ways, Orbis Books New York 2001
Basically, it's a more complex model of power-over structures which acknowleges that while someone might have privilege (been misspelling that one all day!) in some areas, that same person may be lacking privilege in others. Under the standard "patriarchy keeps us down" rhetoric, it is understood that the people with most power in our culture (and yes, I'm being somewhat U.S.-centric, as it is what I know best) are white men. But what about white men who are blue collar workers? Or homeless? Or not able-bodied? Or transmen? Or gay? They may all still get privilege on the basis of race and gender, but privilege is not static and is relative and their resulting position in the kyriarchy may be significantly lower than, for example, a successful, able-bodied black male entrepeneur.

Does that help?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to labete For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #36
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Quote:
Sorry, I typed too fast and misspelled at least once. It's kyriarchy.

Basically, it's a more complex model of power-over structures which acknowleges that while someone might have privilege (been misspelling that one all day!) in some areas, that same person may be lacking privilege in others. Under the standard "patriarchy keeps us down" rhetoric, it is understood that the people with most power in our culture (and yes, I'm being somewhat U.S.-centric, as it is what I know best) are white men. But what about white men who are blue collar workers? Or homeless? Or not able-bodied? Or transmen? Or gay? They may all still get privilege on the basis of race and gender, but privilege is not static and is relative and their resulting position in the kyriarchy may be significantly lower than, for example, a successful, able-bodied black male entrepeneur.

Does that help?

Thanks a lot! Interesting concept and worth looking up. Many words haven't made it into "traditional " dictionaries yet, so i appreciate the time in helping me with this.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #37
labete

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
preoccupied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Thanks a lot! Interesting concept and worth looking up. Many words haven't made it into "traditional " dictionaries yet, so i appreciate the time in helping me with this.
Absolutely! I only first encountered the word a couple of years ago myself, but I appreciate the acknowlegement it allows to the complexity of power-over structures and the intersections of racism, classism, sexism, ableism, ageism, sizeism and all the other "isms" that impact our access to power and privilege.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #38
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufusboi View Post
Does anyone even pay attention to Robertson any more. He's stuck his foot in his mouth so many times that I think everyone just rolls their eyes and moves on.

Rufus
That may be a comforting belief but I think Robertson does, in fact, have quite a following. Not only does he have his own show (which is syndicated on a lot of stations) but he has his own network. He has the ear of Republican politicians AND, keep in mind, he's just one who *said* it. How many people will hear something similar on Sunday?

Having deprogrammed myself from a fundamentalist Christian mindset a decade ago, I tend to take folks like Robertson, Hagee, Warren, et. al. *very* seriously. I presume that they mean what they say and say precisely what they mean. What's more, I presume that there are any number of people who believe the things that they spew forth. It can be very comfortable to dismiss Robertson as just some old cook sitting in a basement somewhere but I think that the time for that is past.

I watched the queer movement dismiss the Christian right through the nineties, writing them off as some kind of rump movement of maybe a thousand people sitting in some basement church while all the while, the CR gathered strength, executing their stealth strategy with commitment and discipline. Their views have consequences and those of us who stand to lose the most from them coming to power would be well-served to take them seriously and to make certain that their words are heard beyond the safe circle where their ideas are welcome.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #39
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadgeek View Post
That may be a comforting belief but I think Robertson does, in fact, have quite a following. Not only does he have his own show (which is syndicated on a lot of stations) but he has his own network. He has the ear of Republican politicians AND, keep in mind, he's just one who *said* it. How many people will hear something similar on Sunday?

Having deprogrammed myself from a fundamentalist Christian mindset a decade ago, I tend to take folks like Robertson, Hagee, Warren, et. al. *very* seriously. I presume that they mean what they say and say precisely what they mean. What's more, I presume that there are any number of people who believe the things that they spew forth. It can be very comfortable to dismiss Robertson as just some old cook sitting in a basement somewhere but I think that the time for that is past.

I watched the queer movement dismiss the Christian right through the nineties, writing them off as some kind of rump movement of maybe a thousand people sitting in some basement church while all the while, the CR gathered strength, executing their stealth strategy with commitment and discipline. Their views have consequences and those of us who stand to lose the most from them coming to power would be well-served to take them seriously and to make certain that their words are heard beyond the safe circle where their ideas are welcome.

Cheers
Aj
They are very scary. The fact that Warren can make trips to Uganda as part of "The Family" and preach to them about gays being cured has ended up with a death penalty for being gay there. Now he is trying to distance himself from it all.

They really do believe we should receive the death penalty. Scare the Jesus right out of me.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #40
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

Pat Robertson is delusional. God is love. Nothing more, nothing less. What Robertson is spewing is hatred. I am glad I won't be in his shoes when he meets his maker.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote