Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > In The News

Old 01-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation
Default Anti abortion ad to air during Super Bowl

I was disturbed to read today that in the all out media blitz that is the Super Bowl CBS will be airing an anti-abortion ad paid for by Focus on the Family.

This is from Mother Jones magazine
CBS to Air First Super Bowl Abortion Ad
— By Elizabeth Gettelman
| Fri Jan. 22, 2010 12:19 PM PST.
I have a general, albeit sometimes irrational, distaste for quarterbacks. There's something about their deified status, the fact that they're often positioned as Great White Hopes on mostly black teams, their 'me'-in-team attitudes; I admittedly look for reasons to knock them down a peg. Joe Theismann: ridiculous (he changed the pronunciation of his name, 'THEES-man,' to rhyme with Heisman, as in trophy). Joe Montana: privileged (Joe Cool played for the wine-and-cheese 49ers and had the best receivers in the biz). Peyton Manning: whiner (no-huddle does not have to mean all-tantrum). Michael Vick: dog hater (no explanation nec). I could go on, but this isn't a sports' blog, so I'll get on with it.
Tim Tebow. The Heisman-winning, Florida Gators' QB is headed to the NFL, and for the past few years he's been the darling of college football. He's capitalized on that exposure, declaring his virginism and etching bible passages into his eye black for every game. Now Tebow is taking televangelism to a whole new level: the Super Bowl. Even better, the still-college boy is going to star in a commercial in the Super Bowl, and everybody knows that the ads are the most-watched, most memorable, and most expensive part of the 6-hour affair (halftime is a close second). Tebow and his mom's Super Bowl ad is sponsored by James Dobson's Focus on the Family. Tim's mom will tell America how she was young and not sure she wanted a baby, but then she had Tim who's a star about to make gobs and gobs of money (she probably won't say that last part, but you'll get the picture). Ergo, you'd be crazy to consider an abortion, ladies, and gents and those not of child-bearing age, don't even think about supporting a woman's right to chose, because how could you choose not to gestate and give life to a person as successful and handsome as Tim Tebow?
This "false choice," as TAPPED's Monica Potts so rightly calls it, is fucked. Sorry, it just is. You cannot tell a woman that she might give birth to the next superstar, the next president, the next great thing, or even the next maybe-not-great-thing but still-deserving-of-your-love human being. Because no matter what you might believe, or I might believe (and the idea of having an abortion is a horrifying prospect to me, as it is to most pro-choicers, for the record) when it comes right down to it, when it's 3rd and 25 and you're deep in your own territory, Tim, you're your only coach in this scenario. What you won't hear in this commercial is that a woman might die giving birth, or go broke after she has the child, or lose her own future and compromise her kid's. All these things are 'maybe's,' and women and their partners in this situation are left with difficult, horrible choices no one wants to be beset with, but in the end this simply isn't anyone else's, including Tim Tebow's, damn business.
Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
DELSDAUGHTER

How Do You Identify?:
femme , with occasional tomboy tendencies
Relationship Status:
single,just me and the pup...

DELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST Reputation

thats not the place for it........
but then again in our local halloween parade they had an anti abortion group march with huge pics of mutilated babies on the float.....freedom of speech should have its limitations.......
DELSDAUGHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

i'm considering celebrating by having an abortion. ...well, or sponsoring one.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

I heard about this a few days ago...I have no words...except DISGUST and OUTRAGE!

And, the exaltation of sports figures in the U.S. as some sort of demi-gods makes me sick.

I guess I found a few words...add arrrghhhhhh!
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Why not a condom commercial to go hand in hand with the beer commercial?
Geez they think it's always the woman's fault!!! How about some male responsibility for a change.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

In other news...Bristol Palin has decided to re-virginize until marriage.

*eyeroll
The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation

Wow. This is a majorly huge disappointment. My last refuge, or safe zone from the fanatics was sports - I thought...

christ!
WILDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
Inuus

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Single Not Looking

Inuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST Reputation

I about spit my coffee on that one thanks for the laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apretty View Post
Old 01-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
DELSDAUGHTER

How Do You Identify?:
femme , with occasional tomboy tendencies
Relationship Status:
single,just me and the pup...

DELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST ReputationDELSDAUGHTER Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post

*eyeroll
how does one re-virginiz oneself.....exactly...? lol.
DELSDAUGHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Quote:
Considering thousands of women have to travel OUT of state and/or hundreds of miles to obtain one, this isn't such a far out idea.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #11
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELSDAUGHTER View Post
I kinda made that word up or heard it from elsewhere. *shrug

“I just think it’s a goal to have and other women should have that goal,” said Bristol, appearing on The Oprah Winfrey Show via satellite from Alaska.

WHA? and WHY? A goal for women to remain virgins until they are married? B/c THAT is what ALL women want and/or must have in order to BE women. AND, define virginity?

I Can't Deal.

----

Tim Tebow is IDOLIZED in Gainesville, FL. (and elsewhere--you can travel FAR outside of the city and it's all about the GATORS and Tebow and his biblically smeared cheeks!)
Old 01-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,783 Times in 4,470 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

I agree with Corkey. If they are so concerned cut the beer commercials and show more condem ads.

Oh and can we squeeze in a Public Service Announcement for anti-domestic violence in between the GoDaddy ads?

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #13
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Default Excerpted from change.org

Change.org

Here's hoping Tim Tebow knows what he's getting into, though. Does Tim Tebow know that he's supporting an organization that has called gay marriage perverted and has said that homosexuals want to destroy human civilization? Does Tim Tebow know that he's supporting an organization that believes you can repair homosexuality, and that sexual orientation is a condition that can be treated? Does Tim Tebow know he's supporting an organization whose founder has said that sex education strips girls of their modesty?

We could go on.

Oh well. Maybe Tim Tebow has decided that since a future in the NFL is not looking so bright, he can always fall back on the homophobia of the radical religious right to keep his name out there.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #14
Hudson

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Truth is stranger than fiction.

Hudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

*eyeroll

OMG, me too. Samesies.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #15
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

i had a ribbon sewn across my vagina so that i'm a virgin EVERY time--it's pink satin.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #16
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Quote:
i had a ribbon sewn across my vagina so that i'm a virgin EVERY time--it's pink satin.
aprettyvagina!

Old 01-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #17
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs down Wrong Wrong Wrong

It proves my point about having money. If you have it, you can buy anything you want. I think this is just so inappropriate and on so many levels.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #18
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Change.org

Here's hoping Tim Tebow knows what he's getting into, though. Does Tim Tebow know that he's supporting an organization that has called gay marriage perverted and has said that homosexuals want to destroy human civilization? Does Tim Tebow know that he's supporting an organization that believes you can repair homosexuality, and that sexual orientation is a condition that can be treated? Does Tim Tebow know he's supporting an organization whose founder has said that sex education strips girls of their modesty?

We could go on.

Oh well. Maybe Tim Tebow has decided that since a future in the NFL is not looking so bright, he can always fall back on the homophobia of the radical religious right to keep his name out there.
Tebow is the deeply religious son of christian missionaries. He probably thinks that this is just swell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mister and I learned about this last week. We're boycotting the super bowl this year, and are writing letters to let folks know why.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #19
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

http://thecollegefootballguys.blogsp...t-lurking.html

http://www.insomniacslounge.com/2008...pier-than.html

really. wtf.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #20
LieslKate

How Do You Identify?:
Prime Lesbian Femme Feminist Submissive Amazon Dyke Riot Grrl... :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
the Feminine...
Relationship Status:
single

LieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant futureLieslKate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELSDAUGHTER View Post
*hands you a staple gun, a hot glue gun and a leather needle and thong...* Your choice !

LieslKate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LieslKate For This Useful Post: