Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > General Gender Discussions

View Poll Results: Gender and Friendships!?
I am FEMME and I have lots of friends who I talk to regularly. 23 15.23%
I am FEMME and I have a few close friends. 32 21.19%
I am FEMME and I have a lot of friends but prefer to connect online or through text. 7 4.64%
I am FEMME and I have 1 or 2 close friends. We speak often. 17 11.26%
I am FEMME and I don't have many "close" friends but connect with people online regularly. 8 5.30%
I am FEMME and have been close friends with several people for over 10 years. 33 21.85%
I am FEMME and I HATE to talk on the phone. 26 17.22%
I am FEMME and I often talk on the phone. 13 8.61%
I am BUTCH and I have lots of friends who I talk to regularly. 7 4.64%
I am BUTCH and I have a few close friends. 21 13.91%
I am BUTCH and I have a lot of friends but prefer to connect online or through text. 1 0.66%
I am BUTCH and I have 1 or 2 close friends. We speak often. 9 5.96%
I am BUTCH and I don't have many "close" friends but connect with people online regularly. 2 1.32%
I am BUTCH and have been close friends with several people for over 10 years. 18 11.92%
I am BUTCH and I HATE to talk on the phone. 15 9.93%
I am BUTCH and I often talk on the phone. 6 3.97%
I am a Transperson and I have lots of friends who I talk to regularly. 6 3.97%
I am a Transperson and I have a few close friends. 13 8.61%
I am a Transperson and I have a lot of friends but prefer to connect online or through text. 3 1.99%
I am a Transperson and I have 1 or 2 close friends. We speak often. 3 1.99%
I am a Transperson and I don't have many "close" friends but connect with people online regularly. 3 1.99%
I am a Transperson and have been close friends with several people for over 10 years. 8 5.30%
I am a Transperson and I HATE to talk on the phone. 8 5.30%
I am a Transperson and I often talk on the phone. 6 3.97%
I think friendships are overrated. 3 1.99%
I think that all genders create friendships in basically the same ways. 33 21.85%
I think that people who have no friends are "unhealthy" in some way. 18 11.92%
I think people who have lots of friends are "unhealthy" in some way. 5 3.31%
I think it is healthy to build friendships from online interactions. 35 23.18%
I think it is unhealthy to build friendships from online interactions. 2 1.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #61
PinkieLee

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
I need ya boo, gotta see ya boo

Thanked 13,087 Times in 3,051 Posts
PinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST Reputation

My best friend and some of my closest friends are butch/trans. But I also have femme friends that are like sisters to me. Is one relationship more important that the other?! No.

Luckily, I hit the Best Friend jackpot when G and I met. What 8 years later, and it just keeps getting better. That friendship is fucking sacred to me!

I think it boils down to just having people that you mesh with. It's kind of like an ahhhhh haaaaa moment when you have that first conversation. It feels like coming home.
PinkieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to PinkieLee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #62
Just_G

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Switch, Comedian...G...whichever.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He....with an e!
Relationship Status:
I'll take kinky & twisted for $200, Alex!!

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,450 Posts
Just_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST ReputationJust_G Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
The contact history on my phone is filled with calls from my wife and a few from my Mama. Not a phone guy, I prefer texts.

We recently had dinner with some dear friends, and for a moment I felt pure brotherly love and joy. As we toured their new home my butch bud and I inspected everything from the pool pump, trash compactor , lawn mower, AC unit. We made a pact to get together and hang the TV and install a garbage disposal. Because in my world, that's quality time. The good fucking stuff.
We did square off on the trash compactor which wasn't working and fixed it.
As we scrambled to find trash and run a test, we were excited like it was Christmas.

Those of us butches who have long hair, dig a tag of make-up, or prefer a blouse over a tee shirt.... I adore you. Its authentic to put your back up against a wall and say "this is how I do butch".
In our quest for commonality did we pull out rulers and start measuring each other? Did we get lost trying to "out dude the dudes"?

Butch, soft Butch..... I just want to break the fucking ruler.

Femme friends, talking on the phone etc, Ive never had one (except for my wife)
I think for me the divide is how we communicate with each other,
I don't want to process everything from A-Z for hours
Even though I can cook, sew, and cut coupons with the best, I see those as survival skills and not passions that I want to process.
No matter how hard I try the stove still catches on fire, my buttons always fall off and those coupons have expired. LOL

As far as the men in my life from this community, I cant imagine BFP without them. Authentic Fucking warriors, each and everyone of you. XXOO

Ive enjoyed reading how we do it, because its to me NOT a debatable subject, its a sharing subject.
I LOVE bonding over projects like that! I have to agree it is about sharing....if we don't share, how do we learn about each other? There are so many things I want to know about people, but when we all get together in person, we are so busy having fun, we don't have time to just sit and talk one on one. I try to make it a point to do that, but it just gets crazy...lol

I am going to start shooting you some texts Jack...I miss you throughout the year and I'll be damned if we will go that long without communicating somehow! Texting it is!! In fact, I am going to be bugging you soon because I have a kitchen plumbing issue I need some advice on.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:05 AM   #63
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

after reading jackhammer it just brings me back to common interests, like genme said. I don't have any mates who'd look at a pool pump or ac. they don't fish or four wheel drive.
its just not my friendship pool. I do have quite a few mates who ID as butch but they just aren't that kind. I did try dating one who was very.... truck, fishing, video games, steak, works in a hardware store, doesn't talk much... but other than sex there wasn't anything in common and I felt kinda lonely sometimes with h just not my world, really.
if I hung out with a whole bunch of butches like that and femmes who did old school feminine type stuff, I'd probably think there was a big difference between butches and femmes.
but although I'm pretty girly in many ways many of my pursuits are just general interests like science, museums, galleries, pubs, cafes, lounges, various events for political things and fund raising.
I'd prefer to talk on the phone but no one I know can afford to. its rare Skype sessions and some text. mostly email and the bulk of my communication is through Facebook.
or in person. my local mates don't seem to communicate via any other mode than text to arrange meet and then hang and talk.
everyone else, in the uk, Australia, south east Asia, Holland, Greece, France and the us, is Facebook.

I'm sincerely not an old school gal - well... american style one at least.
its great if one is, I just don't get exposed to it much because my own personal interests lay in other things. I've had old school type relationships but we shared the common interests as mentioned above. and we all shared a box mix up of friends.

that's why I think where one is might also co tribute a lot to the question asked.
I think gender lines seem stronger in certain types of backgrounds or environments or the way you express your gender attractions.

I can see why it might look that way if that's what your friend circle looked like. so at least I'm not baffled now.

so thanks.

but the world is a massive place and with many ways to do the things we all do. I don't think I'll have anything in common save one or two things just because some has the same ID as me. that includes communication. to me it strikes me as an individual thing. I communicate with individuals so... I don't see a trend. but it do think gemme is right. its because I bond through common interests and common values and goals. not ID.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2013, 06:49 AM   #64
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

I think it is interesting that the original question was:

Friendship Circles: Gender Differences in HOW We Do It?

but many response's were centered on WHO we do it with.

I'm not criticizing people who answered that way, I genuinely think its interesting that the conversation seems to have moved in that direction.

My friends are all over the map in terms of who they are (their personal identities), and my friendships are as unique as the people in my life are different from each other, and I love that.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #65
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,620 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
I think it is interesting that the original question was:

Friendship Circles: Gender Differences in HOW We Do It?

but many response's were centered on WHO we do it with.
How we do it is either very simple or very difficult to answer. This is probably why people respond with who they do it with. I mean "how" is either a very concrete answer like how do i keep up friendships - in person, on the phone, text messaging, online etc. Which is really rather short on content containing not much to elaborate on. Or it's a more philosophical answer like "how" do i conduct my friendships. And I think within that context it could arguably contain who do i do it with and why do i think that is.

Maybe?
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #66
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,620 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Well I fish, I enjoy a good steak every now and again and I love my video games although as I age I notice I don’t put the time in like I used to. But the love is still there. I talk plenty, it just might not be subjects that hold anyone’s interest. The operative word is really hold because you might initially be interested, but I can talk about the same thing for hours examining it from every conceivable angle, reviewing it, using every possible scenario until you either want to cry or stick something sharp in MY eye.

If you are pressed for time or even just bore easily you might want to skip the long version and jump down to the end.

LONG VERSION

A little background to explain the difficulty in bonding with the handy butch.

I could look at a pool pump until the end of time and I really wouldn’t be any closer to understanding what I might do to make it pump if it didn’t want to. I would love a pool though.

I wanted to take our AC apart and run water through it to clean out any possible mold cause it’s coming on 3 years old and mold just happens sometimes. My wife talked me out of it because she believes I will cut myself on something sharp. I can understand her reluctance. I’m sure she still remembers when I put together a TV stand for her step- mother. I did something wrong, not sure what, except that it was uncorrectable (at least by me.) Apparently once screwed in, using these kinds of screws on this particular place on the stand, you couldn’t remove the screws. Because of that I was not able to attach the shelf and the doors. So she really did just have a stand. I mean I’m sure someone with the know how could have just pulled out the old power tools and found a way to attach the shelf and doors. But I only had a manual screwdriver and zero ability.

I put together one of those big white cabinets once. My gf at the time made sure to explain to me that this project would be mine alone as she had no aptitude for this kind of thing. I cheerfully assured her this butch had it covered. I laid out the directions and began what turned into a 5-hour marathon. At the end, after discovering that I had some how put the shelves on upside down or backwards or something and the cans would just slide off the shelf, my exasperated “I wouldn’t know a Philips screwdriver from a carburetor” femme took over and fixed the shelves so our food wouldn’t slide to the floor when we stocked the cabinet.

After purchasing a crib my very pregnant ex and I discovered there are a lot of pieces in that box. More tiny springs and screws and oddly shaped paraphernalia than you could ever imagine. I laid out the crib pieces and began studying the directions while my partner examined said pieces. Before I ever finished reading the directions she had most of the crib put together. She didn’t even need me to lift the heavy parts. She put the whole thing together and never once looked at the directions. She has an understanding of how things fit that I couldn’t hope to duplicate. I had a butch friend who lived in the apartment below us who kept trying to show me how to fix my car every time it would break down. My partner would hang around with my friend’s wife while watching peripherally trying to hear what was being explained. Finally I told my friend you need to tell this stuff to B, she will be able to do something with the information. For me it’s just so much gibberish.

One of my sister’s exes, M., is like me in some ways. She doesn’t naturally understand how to fix the car or put stuff together. I remember staying up all night with her one Christmas eve putting together my niece’s bike. We finally got the thing together just before sunrise. I’m sure the beers didn’t help, but the truth is neither of us has a natural aptitude for this stuff. But M. had something I don’t. A more practical intelligence. I’m smart sure, but in a very useless way. I am a good thinker. And really you’d be surprised how unnecessary it is to actually be good at that. You can easily get by being an okay thinker. Being good at it is mostly a handicap really. Anyway M.’s strength was in her ability to persevere. She would find out what was wrong with her car and then get books out of the library (the olden days before the internet put it all at our finger tips) and figure out how to fix it. It might take her hours, even days but she would get it done. I only recently learned how I too can do this. Thing is I don’t always want to. But I can. There isn’t anything I can’t read about and figure out how to do given enough time and margin for error. I mean if I was trying to defuse a bomb, we all explode, that’s a given. But normal stuff that is forgiving and flexible I can eventually figure it out. But that’s not always fun for me. So I may or may not do it. However, just knowing I can has given me a bit of confidence that I never had before.

Another of my sister’s exes, T, was a butch of a different type. He could fix anything. He was an electrician and very much a dude. He teased me about my inability to fix anything, my choices in swimwear and often told me what butches did or did not do (kind of like my mother did about what girls did or did not do). He ended up transitioning and now lectures on what men do or don’t do.

END OF LONG VERSION

My straight male friends, especially K., but all of them really, are like me. They don’t fix their own cars for fun or shoot pheasant and duck out of the sky. They like to spend a Saturday afternoon walking around Harvard Square talking and looking in bookstores or maybe taking in the Museum of Fine Arts or the Aquarium or a Science Museum. They are politically active. They enjoy getting together for a barbecue or a day at the beach. Maybe meeting after work to take in a Red Sox game at Fenway. Funny thing so do my straight female friends. Not much difference in what the guys like to do from what the girls like to do. I don’t see them much anymore since moving to Montreal, but they all had one thing in common. They were easy in themselves. The French have a saying here, Bien Dans Sa Peau, comfortable in your skin. That would define my straight friends. There was an ease of gender for them. There wasn’t the underlying frenetic apprehension surrounding gender presentation that I found present in many of my butch buddies. But then there didn’t have to be did there? They fit easily, their place in the world was solid. They walked through their life without suffering much anxiety surrounding their gender. So while I find them enjoyable as friends, I also enjoy my hyper gender aware butch buds. They may be a tad annoying with their crap about my v-neck t-shirt being too feminine or their merciless teasing at my insistence on wearing a woman’s bathing suit, but they have walked in my shoes and know my heart, they know something about what my life has been. We don’t share the same life, but we understand what it means to live differently.

HB mentioned American style butch femme. I wonder if it is cultural to a degree. There may be more emphasis on gender in general in the US than there is say in Europe. I’m not sure, never been. But it is possible. Certainly the people I’ve had as friends who were from European countries as opposed to the US or South and Central American countries seemed less gender concerned. There interests were more generic and less gender specific. But I don’t know if that was just my personal experience. But if it is true it might account for the more gender post traumatic stress symptoms found in American butches and femmes. Gender is so much more of a thing for everyone in America.

I do know that I have more in common with my straight male and female friends who like to go to museums or walk around Old Montreal, Harvard Square or Faneuil Hall than I do my butch friends who like to fix cars and walk around Home Depot. I also have butch and femme friends who find visiting museums enjoyable as well. The difference for me is that while I would have no use for straight male friends who only want to drink beer, fix cars, shoot cans and take in a grand prix or straight female friends who spend the day baking, shopping, doing their nails and talking about their men, I would be able to be friends with the butch/femme versions. They have something else for me even when we don’t share common interests. Without common interests straight people just don’t have anything for me. Not so with butches and femmes. They inherently have something in common with me. A shared life experience. Not a shared life. Not the same life, but a similar interaction has occurred between them and the world, at least enough so that they get where I have been because they have occupied similar space.

Still the truth of my life is that my best friends have been straight men or women. Can’t really explain it. It just is.
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #67
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
HB mentioned American style butch femme. I wonder if it is cultural to a degree. There may be more emphasis on gender in general in the US than there is say in Europe. I’m not sure, never been. But it is possible. Certainly the people I’ve had as friends who were from European countries as opposed to the US or South and Central American countries seemed less gender concerned. There interests were more generic and less gender specific. But I don’t know if that was just my personal experience. But if it is true it might account for the more gender post traumatic stress symptoms found in American butches and femmes. Gender is so much more of a thing for everyone in America.
Completely. It boggles and hurts my mind sometimes when I come here. It feels at times like a kind of gender obsession. When I have had the company of butch/femme visiting from the states to London I knew that they were going to get very weird looks for the constant gender talk coming out of their mouths. I would get looks of "are they on crack??" from others. They insult people by saying things like "so, where are the butches?" at a table that has many butches at it. I wince and smile and make a joke and try to move the conversation politely on. But since they don't dress/act in an american masculine manner, they don't "catch" it. If they go up north, it's more recognisable to them, because of the factory work and mills history. Also, I think if any of my partners had been referred to as "bro" by another dyke they probably would have stared with complete bafflement and slight disgust.

masculinity is not a constant. it's expressed differently. but people seem to think where they are is the bog standard man. And yes, masculinity is based on male behaviour - it may not belong to them but they are the ones that set the bar that women and queers grade themselves against. Which is why many of my butch friends in the UK wanted their own word.

Pronoun use is mostly she. Except for the ones who are transgender. And I didn't really see too many people in relative comparison who considered themselves that way. I knew a very small smattering of people who used "hy".... and the rest wince at it and call it an "americanism." People don't do american masculinity (repair, hunt/fish, steak, etc) because that's a pioneer type background. And they have a church of england or atheist back ground, not puritan/calvanism. These things make a big deal in how people see masculinity.

I just left a b-f singles group on fb that is supposed to be global. yet when I asked privately, the members who aren't in the states, why they don't post, the answer was "there's no point." what they talk about will just be ignored or whoosh past people as irrelevant.

Canada winds up being somewhere between the two. I find canuck reserve to actually be more, in some ways, than english, but less in other ways. But we also have a pioneer background so in vancouver, every dyke and their 6 dogs wants someone to snowshoe-kyak with while bench pressing a killerwhale. It's not really my thing. I'd rather do the walks you describe, Miss Tick, that sounds fabulous. I like history.

Quote:
I do know that I have more in common with my straight male and female friends who like to go to museums or walk around Old Montreal, Harvard Square or Faneuil Hall than I do my butch friends who like to fix cars and walk around Home Depot. I also have butch and femme friends who find visiting museums enjoyable as well. The difference for me is that while I would have no use for straight male friends who only want to drink beer, fix cars, shoot cans and take in a grand prix or straight female friends who spend the day baking, shopping, doing their nails and talking about their men, I would be able to be friends with the butch/femme versions. They have something else for me even when we don’t share common interests. Without common interests straight people just don’t have anything for me. Not so with butches and femmes. They inherently have something in common with me. A shared life experience. Not a shared life. Not the same life, but a similar interaction has occurred between them and the world, at least enough so that they get where I have been because they have occupied similar space.
Again, for me just depends on their background more than anything. I've been with femmes who do nothing but talk about butches, shopping, baking and how cute their shoes are and I frankly want to open my wrists.

I do want some butch and femme friends, of course. there are some political things - if they are wired that way - I like to discuss with them. But the ones that are gender talk (in a non analytical/deconstructive kind of way) I can't do. It drives me a little bit mental. I'm really not interested in talking about my gender and butches. I like most of my conversations to pass the bechdel test, in terms of males and butches.

Also, I can often talk about some of those politics with non-ID'd dykes. feminine lesbians who don't ID get the same stick I do about most things. Masculine dykes who don't ID still get policed in the bathroom. But they don't talk to me about gender qualifying.

ID, since going to a place where I was accepted, is not the issue it once was. Coming home was hard because that acceptance was yanked back to a degree and it really hurt, but I've also learned a different view that is far more relaxed. And when I talk to people in seattle, that gets hyped up even further. I have tried to date south of the border but the constant butch, butch butch, butches do this and femmes are that, that I get puts me in a bloody bad mood. And I just don't have the patience. I find it less so here, but even lesser still in the UK and Holland.

I was actually considered to be the extreme of my queer friends in the UK. I had the piss taken out of me for talking about it more than anyone else. So... !!!
Goes to show, hey? If I'm extreme, then...

Last edited by imperfect_cupcake; 10-31-2013 at 02:08 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #68
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybarbara View Post
...every dyke and their 6 dogs wants someone to snowshoe-kyak with while bench pressing a killerwhale.
Now, that's a damn good time waiting to happen.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #69
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
LOL

Id rather go antiquing or see a Broadway play.
That sounds like too much work
But I'm sure you could use all kinds of your gadgety things in the process!

<--helpful

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #70
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

I've enjoyed reading others' answers on this thread. I think what surprises me the most is just how much so many people hate talking on the phone and love texting. I LOVE talking on the phone. I often talk to my mom on the phone several times a day, sometimes for a few hours and sometimes for two minutes. I don't like phone "dates" or when every conversation has to be a long one. I really just like to hear someone's voice whether we are talking about nothing or something important. In fact, if you are reading this and enjoy off the fly phone conversations, please PM me so that we can exchange numbers. What's funny is that I'm not good at returning calls and may call someone else several times without a call back from them, while at the same time not minding at all if they don't call me back. I like to be very casual about the phone. Sometimes I resist calling friends because I'm worried they will think it's weird that I only have ten minutes and have nothing to say. Truth is, I just enjoy the connection, even if brief. It doesn't feel like the calls I do for work because there are no guidelines or expectations. I have this with a few people, though not many. This paragraph is part sharing and part advertisement for phone buddies . If you happen to be someone who also connects over the phone, reach out to me. It's always fun to get to know new people from our community. Conversely, if you've been getting calls from me, and that's not your thang, as I'm realizing -gasp, not everyone's like me!- just let me know that too. And then keep in mind that at some point I will probably forget and need to be reminded again.

As far as texting, I am just not very good at it. I feel that I am slow and have difficulty communicating. I will engage in it a little bit and am sometimes cheered by the unexpected text, but in-depth texting is hard for me.

I like email alright but often feel I don't have much time to email. There is, however, nothing like a long email from a friend. The problem is that I'm inconsistent in responding. Still, I can type faster than text, so for real written communication (that isn't a few quick words), I prefer it over texting.

Private messaging is not my favorite form of communication because I'm lazy, and it requires that extra step that email doesn't for written communication. I'd much rather exchange emails and communicate that way. But on the other hand, it's prettier than email (at least my email!) and keeps things on the site, which has its own degree of comfort, so I'm cool with it for communicating with people I don't write with a great deal.

Well, of course this wasn't the question, but methods of communication did come up in the discussion, so forgive my rambling on the topic.

As to the question, I have a lot more phone and this-site communication with people than BB, and BB has a lot more Facebook communication with people. BB also sometimes talks on the phone but definitely not as much as I do. I am equally friends with butches, femmes, straight people, and trans people (or trans femmes / trans butches). I'm sure this description is not phrased right but I think you get the drift.

In person, I like to take walks with people. I think it's a nice way to talk. I also like to have people over to our apartment (if I trust them!) and chat and eat and just hang out. I have a group of BF friends that I get together with maybe twice a year. Life is like that. Much of life is taken up with work and responsibilities of one sort or another, and it's not always easy to fit in person social time in. I have friends from this site who I have not met or even talked on the phone with (you know who you are!) who I feel a deep bond with for years. I feel like if these people lived closer to me, it would be so nice to get together in person as friends. But, because of the nature of the geography of this site, it's just not possible.

There are also people who I may not be close friends with here but respect deeply on this site. They may not even realize how important they are to me, but I read their posts or see how they handle situations, and they end up holding a close place in my heart even if I don't tell them because it might sound weird. Hopefully that doesn't sound too stalkerish .

Anyway, enjoying this discussion and looking forward to more people posting.

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #71
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

I have friends who I'll go out with some times or especially if I feel like going out to a club, then I have closer friends that I see a bit more often. I don't talk as often as I'd like with people, though. Especially after moving out of community housing. I don't think that has much to do with being butch or a trans guy, though. I know a lot of really social butches and trans guys.

As for phones...I really hate phones so much. I get really anxious when I have to make a phone call and often end up putting it off even if it's really important. When I do I often recite in my mind what it is I'm going to say, or sometimes write it down so I don't forget. Part of it is also I find sometimes I have trouble hearing what the other person is saying, and since they aren't in front of me I can't read their body language or anything else to try to fill in the blanks. Then I end up asking them to repeat themselves a million times and it makes me feel like crap...so yeah...I hate phones lol
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #72
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

I don't know if gender plays a role in the way I am as a friend.

I can make some observations, but I'm not sure what they mean, if anything.

One is that I have a couple close straight male friends now and have had many others throughout my life, but I've never had a butch friend, and always felt a kind of wall with butch women especially if they were in a couple.

I've noticed that on this website, butches seem more open to friendships with femmes, and that makes the environment feel less rigid to me.

Off line, b-f couples I've known seem to gravitate toward other couples while two of my oldest dearest friends are a straight couple and I love them both a lot.

I do have one close femme friend who has friendships independent of her partner (not that I don't get along with her partner, but the femme and I are the ones with the connection).

My long-term friendships, except for the one femme friend I mentioned, are with straight people that I have things in common with. We met either in grad school or in the literacy or poetry communities in NYC.

Some of these are people I've had countless seders and Thanksgivings with, and when something bad or amazing happens in my life, I tell them right away.

Others are people I've seen at readings for 20 years, and we have a mutual respect and casual appreciation of each other, but we don't share anything personal.

Right now I'm getting close by talking on the phone with one of my ex's close friends. R broke up with me a couple weeks ago, as she lay in the hospital recovering from two strokes and heart failure, and was (is) waiting for a transplant.

Her close friend M was also banned from visiting her, for different reasons that are equally puzzling.

M, the ex, and I have been a huge solace for each other. We've talked and cried on the phone for hours and hours, and I am not generally a phone person. I feel very close to her, and we've shared our grief and sense of loss and bewilderment and anger and deep unrelenting worry about R with each other. I hope it's a friendship that continues beyond this crisis we've found ourselves in together. I've never had a friendship start that way. And it has nothing to do with gender.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #73
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

I know *so* many phone phobic (really anxious about talking on the phone) people...
The Following User Says Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #74
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

The worst for anxiety over the phone, imo, are phone interviews...who ever thought that was a good way of interviewing people? Ugh...
The Following User Says Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #75
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
The worst for anxiety over the phone, imo, are phone interviews...who ever thought that was a good way of interviewing people? Ugh...

I was just on a search committee and we interviewed a guy in Atlanta, via Skype. He really appreciated that we were open to doing that, and it went well. I think we got about as much a sense of who he is, as we did of the people who sat at the table with us. It's a good option, especially since so many people are willing to relocate.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #76
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post

Also just wanted to say that while I described a good Skype experience in a post just now, I didn't mean to invalidate that for you, phone interviews (not quite the same as Skype but still...), are anxiety-producing.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #77
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandScout View Post
I was just on a search committee and we interviewed a guy in Atlanta, via Skype. He really appreciated that we were open to doing that, and it went well. I think we got about as much a sense of who he is, as we did of the people who sat at the table with us. It's a good option, especially since so many people are willing to relocate.
I think it depends on the job and if it's being done to accommodate the fact that someone can't be there in person. I agree it's a good idea if someone doesn't even live in that city or whatnot. The instances I've had to do phone interviews I didn't have an option, because they wanted both a short phone interview and an in-person interview. Most of them have been part-time positions at for example HMV. I just think it's silly to require it since there's a lot of reasons people might not feel comfortable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2015, 10:40 PM   #78
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,871 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

I am a transperson who has several friends who I have known for over 10 years. I have some friends who are butch/some femme/trans and some "straight" friends. I think that no matter how we label ourselves we can have friendships between whoever.

I am new to this site, well a year now, and I have met a few folks that I call friends.

I think that everyone is different and if we embrace the differences it can make for some awesome friendships.

My longest known friend is of 14 years, we were friends in high school, lost contact and after a few years saw each other and picked up where we had left off. She is a married CIS female, who has seen me as a bisexual, lesbian dyke now as a transman. Her love and her familys love has never waivered for me, her kids call me Uncle, I attend family functions and her parents call me their other son.

My opinion, the less true friends you have, the less drama you have!

Albert Einstein
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #79
afrcnqueen

How Do You Identify?:
By name
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happy on my journey to Self- Love!! :-)

afrcnqueen Has the BEST Reputationafrcnqueen Has the BEST Reputationafrcnqueen Has the BEST Reputationafrcnqueen Has the BEST Reputationafrcnqueen Has the BEST Reputationafrcnqueen Has the BEST Reputationafrcnqueen Has the BEST Reputationafrcnqueen Has the BEST Reputationafrcnqueen Has the BEST Reputationafrcnqueen Has the BEST Reputationafrcnqueen Has the BEST Reputation

I have two hetero close friends that I have known for over 20 yrs (one male/one female) I speak to them primarily on the phone unless I'm busy then it's quick texts.
My gay male friends prefer texts unless it's gossip about what they did that was "Oh so bad" lol then they need to talk. My lesbian/femme friends want to talk, they find texting impersonal.

I prefer to talk but I'm also down for texting depending on what I'm doing
Old 12-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #80
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

I am a trans guy, & I have a few close friendships that I have had for 10+ years. Most of my close friends are femme, and are not exes, even though I have a good social acquaintance type of friendship with the exes. I also have a close platonic friendship with a straight woman who lives in the same town I live in. She and I have been friends for 5 years, but close friends for the last 2 years.
I miss having a close butch or trans man friend. I am into fishing, bushcrafting and woodsman survival stuff, it would be so cool if I had a friend in the area to do some of that stuff with. I adore femme energy, but I also miss this energy too.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post: