Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #21
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Oh Diva, I think except in California, our building codes don't require anything that would stand through a 7+ earthquake either! That is a HUGE HUGE magnitude; it would have been the same kind of disaster anywhere in the world as far as I know.

My heart's just breaking for the Haitians.... and honestly, the practical side of me is horrified. Where does anyone bury a hundred thousand people? How could they even all be identified?

I think it won't be long and the sad vacant eyes will all be pain-filled, as the initial shock wears off...
I think that's correct. California requires new structures to be able to survive an 8.

However, to give you a sense of scale--the 1989 Loma Prieta quake in San Francisco was a 7.1 according the USGS and there was far LESS damage than in Haiti. A 7.1 here in Portland would probably be pretty devastating but in Los Angeles or San Francisco pretty survivable.

Cheers
LF

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #22
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,179 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

God bless Haiti.
The news is worse than bleak.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #23
QueenofQueens
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Seerauber, Centaurita Bonita, QoQonut, Volupté Suprême
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lux, Ms. Lisbon if you're nasty.
Relationship Status:
Left of Centaur and blissfully betrothed.

QueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST Reputation

MADRE is a great organization that partners with local agencies, co-ops, etc. specifically in the interest of women and children. Because they partner with organizations within the communities they serve, they have ways of expediting efforts to distribute aid that outside organizations don't.
They are spearheading an emergency effort in Haiti, where they do ongoing work. Here's a link:

http://www.madre.org/index.php?s=4&news=263

QueenofQueens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenofQueens For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #24
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default from likeawhisper's blog (good blog)

Earthquake Hits Haiti – Places to Donate

This is what Prof Susurro writes on her blog (likeawhisper) in regards to Haiti:

It’s hard to write something pithy today in the face of yesterday’s devastating earthquake in Haiti. No other place in the Americas represents the point of such great hope (freedom), punishment (ie the global colonial sanction against Haiti for daring to revolt against slavery & win), or atrocity (perpetrated externally and internally). And as such, no other place has been so completely vilified; even now, in the face of so much death, some people on the internet are claiming this is some payback from G-d. Still others turn away with compassion fatigue not based on any actual compassion but rather the belief that “there is always some poor black kid crying out somewhere.” Never do we ask why that is or how that happened. Yet, the global community still stands together for Haiti even amidst the naysayers. Multiple organizations have mobilized to help Haiti, while still others have been there all along and are simply asking for help with supplies and extra donations. Despite the negativity on the internet, the bulk of people are trying to do the best they can to raise awareness and get $ and supplies to Haiti, including the twitter folks circulating ways to donate via text message.

My heart bleeds for Haiti in ways words fail to describe and I am at a loss for what to say to you dear readers that I do not think you do or should already know. Instead, I will be working in my local community to help with Haitian relief efforts, and encourage you to do the same.

Places to Donate Labor, Supplies, &/or Money to Haiti
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #25
IttyBittyFem

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady
Relationship Status:
No thank you.

IttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST ReputationIttyBittyFem Has the BEST Reputation
Unhappy

For fact, I am not the only one in our Community that has been a victim of nature's wrath, completely losing their home and everything within.

I actively became involved with organizing and distributing the catastrophes donations, which came pouring in from people we did not even know. Their generous benevolence gave us all hope. It's an amazing feeling when complete strangers come together to assist in any way they're able to help those in need.

Our most important items that were crucially needed during the first 48 hours were water, cooked food, blankets, clean clothing and after, volunteers to assist in cleaning up the destroyed remains.

We so easily take for granted in our every day lives, possessions that keep us warm, a washer and dryer, electricity, turning on a faucet assuming water will come out, phone lines and cell towers destroyed kept us totally isolated, vehicles no longer worked, refrigerators gone, the list goes on and on.

That evening, sleeping in a gymnasium on cots lined up with people in the same position, reality began to sink in. Both my sons and beloved Boxer were safe and reflecting how in a moment, life can be so easily be taken away. At that moment, I was grateful. Possessions can be replaced but my sons and best girl Biscuit were unharmed.

I pray for the Haitians that have lost family members, for their loved ones that are unable to receive confirmation and for those that have lost everything they own. My heart breaks for their anguish and loss.

Personally, the gift cards and cash were probably the most appreciated donations however, any donation that is made is appreciated, truly.
IttyBittyFem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IttyBittyFem For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #26
Mindy

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her/she
Relationship Status:
Single

Mindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST Reputation

I have an old college friend whose ex wife and family are now in Haiti. He is worried sick and trying to find them. I can't imagine the grief people are going through trying to locate their loved ones.

Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #27
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hope for Haiti Benefit

Significantly raising the charity stakes: All of the musical performances for the event will be available for $.99 per song through Apple's iTunes store--with all proceeds benefitting Haiti through Hope For Haiti Now charities.
Follow this link to iTunes for more information!

Much more information about this very worthy cause can be had at http://www.hopeforhaitinow.org/
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2010, 01:46 AM   #28
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation
Default AMAZING!!!

I saw on the news tonight, that a 16yr. old girl was found - DAY 15, in the rubble... still alive (by a French rescue team there). They heard something and began digging and saw her head and was able to get her out!

It's these kinds of miracles I was hoping to witness.

I guess some folks said (emailed like CNN or something), that she probably crawled into this spot - as she could not have lived this long. They had to use special tools to open up the space for her to get out.

The doctor who regularly talks on CNN was/is there, and spoke of another example where someone else survived about that long as well. I can't recall the condition or the circumstance to which he referenced there...(?)

Anyway, her family thought she was dead after day two. I guess the whole block of buildings where this teenager lived was flattened.

Severely dehydrated and her BP very low, but appears that she is going to make it. She was caught in a bathroom. Perhaps she had some water access somehow enough to last throughout these past two weeks, from broken plumbing or such - and just enough ventilation for air.
__

Though I saw folks fighting over food distribution, which was poorly organized in this instance and heart breaking to watch, I also saw a street full of folks "dancing" tonight there, celebrating that they were alive! That was something beautiful to see. It matters to them, the outreach they are witnessing and experiencing - although the conditions remain horrific on the whole. Help is pouring in. There is lots of love in this world!

The music special fundraiser the other night on TV here brought in like 20 million dollars from call-ins phone donations? I think that is correct, but going by [my] memory of what I thought I heard on the news from that one event alone.

WILDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #29
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

I still cannot believe what the news is each day coming from Haiti. Survivors are still being pulled from the rubble. The USNS Comfort is now filled to capacity. If anyone has the opportunity to tour this ship do it. I did about a year ago. It was truely amazing. I read somewhere that cruise ships are now stocking up, and making stops offshore to deliver much needed supplies like food, water, and medical supplies. I also know that some of the troops that were in Iraq, are now being sent to Haiti. They are helping with the looting and distributing the food in isolated areas so everyone has a fair share.

My heart just aches when I watch the news about the orphans. That is truely heart breaking.

Bill & Melinda Gates donated $10 billion dollars for children to have vaccines worldwild - mainly in the poorest countries. Now that will make difference in so many children's lives.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #30
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation
Default Going to Haiti....

This evening I opened my email and there was a letter saying to me:
Dean of course you may come. please come, come as soon as you can.
Can you stay a year or so? we need you.

My prayers have been answered. I am leaving for Haiti as soon as my current employer can replace/release me, and I can get on a plane. I am figuring I will be flying out June 15th.on the experience of a life time and a calling that I have heard for many years will at long last be responded to.

I love haiti, always have always will, and now with a grandaughter who is part haitian..well i just love haiti all the more. many years of prayers and mediations have been answered tonight by that one small email.

I will keep you all posted...

Dean
Old 03-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #31
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Dean,

I will be praying for you. There is so much to be done. My Church is sponsoring another Church in Haiti. We have been sending over money, as well as first aid items thru the military. The pictures I have seen just are overwhelming. The destruction, and the constant lack of supplies, food, water, and basic essentials. It is mind boggling.

Yes, please keep us posted. I wish you Godspeed.

Namaste,
Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #32
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation

thanks for your wishes....I leave on the first day of summer vacation......i go from pure excitement to a solid state of fear... and gathering stuff and making lists and checking the "we need bring with you" lists

I am gathering lots of stuff to take down to help provide the elemntary school and university that is now being held under a tarp with materials. I checked with american airlines and I can bring 3 bags plus pay 100 dollars for another one none can weigh more than 100 pounds
so..i am figuring one for laptops....(i should be able to fit 4 in and still have them packed well enough) laptops are in desperate need for students so they can use computers to write papers etc also needed are solar laptop chargers.........one for over the counter meds.....one for me....i do need a change of clothes and some jammies....and another one full of prenatal and kids vitamins....

if anyone desires to ship stuff to the village i am going to..please private message me so i can give you the address.....there are lots of things that are needed..and i will give you the address as well as web site links....

Desperate need for feminine hygiene products (washable stuff not..disposable)
Old 03-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #33
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default warning: article may be triggering for some

Rape In Haiti: Women, Girls Detail Violent Attacks In Aftermath Of Haiti Earthquake
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #34
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Default triggering article for some

Several basic things are needed to help with prevention of some of this:
single stall locking latrines,
solar flood lights with motion detectors in the latrine and out of it
either solar or give a shake flashlights that never require batteries for each female
these are equipment articles that can help...no not solve,,yes more protection is necessary,,,more female soldiers are needed to protect the women...however...some simple deterrents can help a little at least.

many women are bieng ,,,raped on their way to and from a place they have gone to to use the bathroom or take care of sanitary needs.

in ref to my comment regarding washable sanitary items:

check out Luna Pads and Luna kits...
women who earn a dollar a day during good times can not afford 6 dollars for tampons or disposables...however....luna pads,,and some mild detergent can last longer and is not a recurring expense.