Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 04-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #361
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,539 Times in 10,209 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting read..

Coronavirus clue? Most cases aboard U.S. aircraft carrier are symptom-free

DISCONCERTING’ DATA FOR PENTAGON
Defense Secretary Mark Esper, speaking in a television interview on Thursday, said the number of asymptomatic cases from the carrier was “disconcerting.”

“It has revealed a new dynamic of this virus: that it can be carried by normal, healthy people who have no idea whatsoever that they are carrying it,” Esper told NBC’s “Today” morning show.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN21Y2GB

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 06:46 PM   #362
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,156 Times in 5,130 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bèsame* View Post
Interesting read..

Coronavirus clue? Most cases aboard U.S. aircraft carrier are symptom-free

DISCONCERTING’ DATA FOR PENTAGON
Defense Secretary Mark Esper, speaking in a television interview on Thursday, said the number of asymptomatic cases from the carrier was “disconcerting.”

“It has revealed a new dynamic of this virus: that it can be carried by normal, healthy people who have no idea whatsoever that they are carrying it,” Esper told NBC’s “Today” morning show.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN21Y2GB
Doesn't everyone know this by now? What are these government people doing for their jobs? Don't they read anything?

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #363
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,159 Times in 3,019 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfem View Post
NYC is still off the charts high with COVID, now over 200K tested positive in NY with 11K deaths. NJ right by us has 69K positive, and to give perspective, every other state has less than 30K tested positive. We haven't left our apartment building in a month, and even inside here we utilize gloves, masks, wipes, etc. Everything takes extra long because we do it so carefully. And yet... people in NYC who we know who are being careful are still getting sick which I think points to how prevalent it is here as well as how easy it is to get in an area with such a high prevalence of the virus. Every day without getting sick feels like a success!

Our hospitals are a mess. If you google "nurse Elmhurst hospital video" you can get a sense of what the hospital scene is like here. Collectively in NYC everyone is avoiding hospitals unless they are at the point of almost dying. A few blocks from me in Central Park there is a huge makeshift tent "hospital" that takes spillover since all the hospitals are full. Many nurses and doctors are not skilled in the areas that they are working in out of the desperation for anybody to help. And lack of protective gear is a huge issue.

Over 50 people from my school system have died. Thanks Cuomo and Diblasio for pushing to keep schools open for an extra two weeks when we all already had active positive cases in our school buildings. My friend who works for the subway / MTA had 80 of her colleagues die. Lack of space for bodies is leading to temporary park burial, which is very unsettling. I had my friend in Ohio send me toilet paper because there is often no way to get the basics of things locally- online and deliveries to this area are just depleted. Groceries are just whatever one can get delivered, with several weeks wait, and often are not even available. Amazon cup of noodle soups work well for us.

We are still busy working remotely though it's hard to focus when we keep learning people around us are sick. My student population is especially hard hit (East Harlem) because so many are living in small spaces with many people and in shelters. NYC living, in general, is not ideal for such an easily contagious virus. Still, BB and I are grateful to have jobs that allow us to work remotely and to have our small, cozy apartment with our three cats to love up.
I don't even know what to say. I'm just a couple of hours drive from you but, while it's bad here, it's not that bad. I'm thinking about you both and sending my very best. I'm so glad you are able to keep your jobs and stay safe at home. Shelves are bare here too and it's hard to get out. My parents have not left their house in two months. Well my mom tried to go to our little local coop the other day and it was so different from when she last left the house two months ago she freaked and left empty handed. I work. go home. Scrub, change, sleep, work, go home, scrub, change, sleep, work. Groceries every other week for us and my parents. I'm grateful for my job and my home and being able to have my daughter home from college and going to work with me and my Daddy who is leading the field planting a big garden for us to have fresh vegetables.

Last edited by easygoingfemme; 04-16-2020 at 07:13 PM.
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #364
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

Thanked 32,004 Times in 9,946 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMa'am View Post
For fans of Dr. Anthony Fauci (and I know there are some here) - NPR's Fresh Air podcast today was about him. They interviewed a reporter who has followed him for many years, not Dr. Fauci himself. It was very interesting. Not only did they discuss COVID-19 and Dr. Fauci's talent for getting along with people in power while telling them the truth, they went back to the early days of HIV and how Dr. Fauci was an advocate for HIV positive gay men. Apparently, he's been offered the job as head of NIH three times, and he's turned it down every time, for various reasons.

Available wherever you find your podcasts.
I've sort of followed him over the years, mainly because back in the day, way back when AIDS was surging across the country, my folks were diehard Republicans and bought every short sighted agenda pushed by that political party and because my mother spent years and years in the field of Nursing, often times our dinner time conversation revolved around the latest nursing and doctor profession issues. I remember how he spearheaded the idea that treatment for HIV/AIDS needed to consider the patient first, not the other away around, concerning clinical trials. Quoting from the NPR coverage:
Quote:
"This new system [for AIDS treatment] basically forced people to realize that you can't run drug trials and decide what to do with patients without ever consulting patients," Specter says. "I think it changed medicine in America forever."
As it was, my youngest brother, a big gay bear but never out to my family during the 1980s, eventually came out to my family during his medical crisis where he discovered he had AIDS/HIV during the early 1990s.

Anyway, for those of you looking for that podcast and article, here is the link below:

NPR: Long Before COVID-19, Dr. Anthony Fauci 'Changed Medicine in America Forever.'

_____ ______

Last edited by Kätzchen; 04-16-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 12:54 AM   #365
FireSignFemme

How Do You Identify?:
N/A

3 Highscores

Thanked 10,500 Times in 3,158 Posts
FireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST Reputation

5 Reasons Why You Might Not Have Gotten Your Stimulus Check Yet -

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/16/polit...ney/index.html

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-...ment-info-here
FireSignFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireSignFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 08:55 AM   #366
A. Spectre

How Do You Identify?:
Butch dominant lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Baby Boi
Relationship Status:
She is my sunrise and sunset.

Thanked 10,783 Times in 1,440 Posts
A. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST ReputationA. Spectre Has the BEST Reputation

Israel Is Reporting That The Trump Admin Reached Out To Them Back In November To Warn about pandemic

Israel Is Now Reporting That The Trump Administration Reached Out To Them Back In November To Warn Them About Impending The Times of Israel claims Israeli television reported tonight that US intelligence agencies warned the country of an impending pandemic with coronavirus, gaining speed in China, a startling five months ago.

“The US intelligence community became aware of the emerging disease in Wuhan in the second week of that month and drew up a classified document,” the report alleged.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-ale...vember-report/

*This intentional death and chaos was imo done intentionally, maybe they didn't invent the virus but they are stealing billions that goes directly into the pockets of their already sickening wealthy friends and family. Firing the IG's, first saying he is a DICKtator by telling Governors what and when to close or open, then doing a 180 the very next day. His admin is purposely keeping our heads spinning with the madness of king mango.

Watch what they are doing while all of the attention is on c-19. A federal judge just recently blocked the opening of new pristine land for drilling for the Keystone pipeline. THIS is why down ballot voting is so important! As well as voting the death cult that IS the GOP out of office.
A. Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to A. Spectre For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 10:57 PM   #367
FireSignFemme

How Do You Identify?:
N/A

3 Highscores

Thanked 10,500 Times in 3,158 Posts
FireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Even though they are extremely scare, near next to impossible to get hands on right now, here is a good FAQ put out by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention concerning respirators.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topi...lthcare.html#e
FireSignFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FireSignFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 02:16 PM   #368
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation
Question

Not sure if I should be worried or grateful or a bit of both. I need new reading glasses and turns out that my Doc is going to open up next week sometime. I don't think I can hold my breath through the reading of an eye chart! lol But I really need to update my prescription!

Thoughts?
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #369
Baby_Yoda

How Do You Identify?:
wolf boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
Depends on who is addressing me.
Relationship Status:
Supposedly in a relationship

Baby_Yoda Has the BEST ReputationBaby_Yoda Has the BEST ReputationBaby_Yoda Has the BEST ReputationBaby_Yoda Has the BEST ReputationBaby_Yoda Has the BEST ReputationBaby_Yoda Has the BEST ReputationBaby_Yoda Has the BEST ReputationBaby_Yoda Has the BEST ReputationBaby_Yoda Has the BEST ReputationBaby_Yoda Has the BEST ReputationBaby_Yoda Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Not sure if I should be worried or grateful or a bit of both. I need new reading glasses and turns out that my Doc is going to open up next week sometime. I don't think I can hold my breath through the reading of an eye chart! lol But I really need to update my prescription!

Thoughts?
I personally get the ones you can pick up just about anywhere but then my prescription is almost non-existent according to my last eye exam so some 1.5 work well for me. Other than that... I personally would put it off. There has not been a 14 day streak of fewer cases each day as recommended to reopen.

Baby_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Baby_Yoda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 03:47 PM   #370
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

Thanked 32,004 Times in 9,946 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Anybody experiencing trouble with receiving Unemployment? And, likewise, is anybody experiencing trouble with getting COVID 19 CARES act financial assistance to survive since shuttering your small business venture?

I'm curious, because for me it has been three weeks since I was furloughed and in my state, they just processed the first week of benefits I am eligible for last Thursday, but the first benefit check comes in paper form and there is no telling how many days before it comes. In our metro area? There is only a couple of county Work Source Offices (read: unemployment field office) that are fully staffed. In the largest county of our metro area, most of those field offices are not fully staffed, nor do Unemployment case workers take a phone call. The state hot-line number is imploded and does not work, and the state knows it. And, on top of it all, each week as millions of people in our state file for Unemployment benefits, the website is blown up, sometimes on an hourly basis, which I am sure is driving the state IT team crazy and is terribly stressful.

If you're self employed in our state, there is no help and there's no one to process your claim. If you're a small business owner? Same story. You're out of 'luck' because there is no staff to process your claim or to help you secure CARES ACT funding to save you from falling off the social grid.

I took an emergency loan out, shortly after I was laid off, because thankfully our credit union helpful like that. If I am fortunate enough to have those Unemployment benefit claim checks show up in paper form or direct deposited *BEFORE* May 1st, then I'm returning the full amount of the emergency loan, so I don't have to worry about huge monthly payments over a 12 month span of time. Of course, I have another back up plan to activate should my Unemployment funds never show up.

So.... I worry about relatives (my own family) who live in another state because while some states actively care about small business owners, apparently my home state cares nothing for small business owners and in similar ways, it's looking like small business owners and those who are self employed in my state are perilously close to financial ruin.

I personally don't see how the economy can reopen in timely ways but I did have a sneak preview of how long the current funding for people who are approved for Unemployment benefits in my state. And that deadline is July 25th, the anticipated time line for when the current CARES ACT funding is depleted. At least, this is what my physical copies of documents say that were mailed to me from my state UI (Unemployment Insurance) Office.

Super scary right now for everyone. Thankfully I still experience no virus impacts but that's because I abide by social distancing policy and I stay home (for the most part, except for necessity runs to the pharmacy) and when I do go out for a walk or a bike ride, I wear a mask, scarf, gloves and I am super careful.

Just yesterday, I had to go pick up medications and I overheard, while waiting in the waiting 'lounge' nearby, that staffers at my pharmacy location were exposed to COVID-19 (asymptomatically exposed) and now half of their 6 member staff are out on quarantine. They have plexi-glass barriers installed, but the weird part and most telling sign of all, is that none of them were mandated to wear masks or gloves, as an added safety barrier for not only Pharmacy employees, but for the general public who show up to get meds.

So here, again, even in the face of how serious this health crisis is, trained professionals at a pharmacy still do not display a "Safety First" type of mindset and because Safety First is not a core governing principle in their daily lives (personal or public), they've risked their own health and not taken this health crisis seriously, which in turn, has now cost them time off work, and possibly the risk of exposure will lead to consequences that upend their lives in terms of life or death.

I'm continuing to place a high priority for my own safety and I hope you all continue to do the same.

~K.

_____ ______

Last edited by Kätzchen; 04-21-2020 at 03:54 PM. Reason: typo correction(s)
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #371
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Something I did about a month ago out of an abundance of caution was to get a pulse oximeter for the fist aid kit at the same time as replacing my dead thermometer.

In light of this article today, I'd say it's a no-brainer for everyone at this point. I hope they are still available, I got mine on Amazon I think it was about $30.

The Infection That’s Silently Killing Coronavirus Patients
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 05:20 PM   #372
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Things you can't buy now (other than TP)

Home fitness equipment
When this whole thing started I was having my garage finished in anticipation of setting up some home fitness and physical therapy space. It got finished right on time...for everyone and their brother to have the same idea. I am now on a couple of waitlists. I gather that even Joe's old barbell set from the basement will fetch top, gouge, price on Craigslist.

Pets
When I moved I knew I wanted to get a dog either this spring or next. I decided that this would be the perfect time to invest the time into training and learning with a new buddy. Sadly, I was the last one to act on this, the shelters are empty (WIN!) and there is nary a pup to be found.

Freezer
Well duh. I didn't really see an immediate need for this and thought I would get around to it, again, after finishing garage. With some of the projected shortages coming up, I though it would be an ideal now. Nope.

What I am stocking up on
Spices and interesting international sauces and things to brighten my world if things get tougher.

This is coming from someone who rarely opens the wallet for the moths to breathe. Who knew I'd ever be a frustrated shopper?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 05:36 PM   #373
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelt View Post
Something I did about a month ago out of an abundance of caution was to get a pulse oximeter for the fist aid kit at the same time as replacing my dead thermometer.

In light of this article today, I'd say it's a no-brainer for everyone at this point. I hope they are still available, I got mine on Amazon I think it was about $30.

Very informative opinion on the COVID-19 relationship to pneumonia. I just had pneumonia at the beginning of November, and it makes me wonder: did I actually have an early case of COVID-19 somehow? (probably not, but there are people who say it started in the U.S. Also, I was at Disney World and took two flights the week before, I could easily have shared respiratory spray with someone from China.) It progressed exactly as described in the article - by the time I knew it was serious, it was _very_ serious, my lungs filled with blood and I was straining with every muscle to breathe.

So does this mean I'm immune? Does it mean I'm a carrier? I had a pneumonia vaccine around the beginning of December, does that mean I'm safe? Should I or should I not do those exercises they show you in the hospital to keep you from getting pneumonia? Should I be monitoring my oxygen levels, because I have noticed that I am breathing deeper (I had thought that was probably an after-effect of my case of pneumonia - I'm still coughing stuff up out of my lungs. They say it can take up to a year to get it all out.)

These are questions for my doctor - maybe I can get a tele-appointment. Anyway, thank you very much for the interesting article and the tip on the the pulse oximeter.

- Prince
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #374
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMa'am View Post
Very informative opinion on the COVID-19 relationship to pneumonia. I just had pneumonia at the beginning of November, and it makes me wonder: did I actually have an early case of COVID-19 somehow? (probably not, but there are people who say it started in the U.S. Also, I was at Disney World and took two flights the week before, I could easily have shared respiratory spray with someone from China.) It progressed exactly as described in the article - by the time I knew it was serious, it was _very_ serious, my lungs filled with blood and I was straining with every muscle to breathe.

So does this mean I'm immune? Does it mean I'm a carrier? I had a pneumonia vaccine around the beginning of December, does that mean I'm safe? Should I or should I not do those exercises they show you in the hospital to keep you from getting pneumonia? Should I be monitoring my oxygen levels, because I have noticed that I am breathing deeper (I had thought that was probably an after-effect of my case of pneumonia - I'm still coughing stuff up out of my lungs. They say it can take up to a year to get it all out.)

These are questions for my doctor - maybe I can get a tele-appointment. Anyway, thank you very much for the interesting article and the tip on the the pulse oximeter.
I have wondered the same about your pneumonia for a while now. You could ask for an antibody test if they are available in your area. It could shed some light on the situation. The jury is still out on whether or not antibodies would confer any immunity, but it would be interesting to know and maybe grant some peace of mind anyway.

I will be interested to see if anything like this comes out in a medical journal. As you rightly point out it is an opinion piece.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 10:33 PM   #375
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

Responding in general...

From one too many microbiology classes, but not an expert on coronaviruses, you'll have antibodies related to the virus (the strain) that made a home in your body. Like most viruses, like the flu, the lil fuckers change, mutate, a lot. A while back, I heard/read somewhere that there were already three different strains found in Washington state. Are they similar enough to each other that they will be killed off by your new antibodies? I don't think anyone knows yet.

A few weeks ago I heard reporters, and I think one doctor say YES, you will have immunity. I was immediately, WTF?!

Since then... I've been avoiding anything on TV. For the most part, I'm reading what WHO releases and the John Hopkins newsletter.

Has anyone else heard of any other strains of this coronavirus popping up?
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 05:57 AM   #376
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
gentle stonebutch [vanilla]
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,204 Times in 422 Posts
charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Unhappy 2nd Wave of Covid-19

The CDC has issued a warning that the 2nd wave will probably occur during this winter in the U.S., and will most likely be “even more difficult” coinciding with seasonal flu). Obviously, by that time, people will be travelling again between the U.S. and Canada, etc., and it will affect us Canadians as well.

"And in a double blow for the prospect of ending the coronavirus pandemic, a US trial of the controversial treatment Donald Trump has referred to as “like a miracle” has produced poor results." ... "Also on Tuesday, a malaria drug frequently touted by Trump for treating Covid-19 showed no benefit in a large analysis of its use in US veterans hospitals. There were more deaths among those given hydroxychloroquine than those given standard care, researchers reported."

The CDC "was also asked about increasing protests in a number of US states against stay-at-home orders from governors, with demonstrations coordinated on social media and evidence of backing by rightwing figures and powerful Trump allies. And about calls for states to be “liberated” from restrictions, which Donald Trump has himself echoed, Redfield said in the interview: “It’s not helpful.” "

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...oroquine-trial
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 08:26 AM   #377
nhplowboi

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Good question.

Thanked 3,465 Times in 741 Posts
nhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputationnhplowboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Yes Kelt, a must have in your med kit at this point in time. Bevi tried to get one yesterday. Every place was out of stock. She had just read how the virus does not manifest in some people until about 24 hours before you pass. The key to prevent that from happening was to monitor your oxygen levels.
nhplowboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nhplowboi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #378
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhplowboi View Post
Yes Kelt, a must have in your med kit at this point in time. Bevi tried to get one yesterday. Every place was out of stock. She had just read how the virus does not manifest in some people until about 24 hours before you pass. The key to prevent that from happening was to monitor your oxygen levels.
I ordered a pulse oximeter on Amazon last night. They were out of the ones available through Amazon Prime, so I'm assuming mine will come from somewhere overseas. After eliminating the ones that seemed like they were probably junk (1-star ratings and such), I ended up paying $60 for one.

Oh, in my research I found out that some of the newer Fitbits will give you an oxygen reading. Unfortunately, not the model I have.

- Prince

Last edited by GeorgiaMa'am; 04-22-2020 at 11:16 AM. Reason: more info on Fitbit
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #379
Jedi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
they are my world

Thanked 1,763 Times in 549 Posts
Jedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST ReputationJedi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Responding in general...

From one too many microbiology classes, but not an expert on coronaviruses, you'll have antibodies related to the virus (the strain) that made a home in your body. Like most viruses, like the flu, the lil fuckers change, mutate, a lot. A while back, I heard/read somewhere that there were already three different strains found in Washington state. Are they similar enough to each other that they will be killed off by your new antibodies? I don't think anyone knows yet.

A few weeks ago I heard reporters, and I think one doctor say YES, you will have immunity. I was immediately, WTF?!

Since then... I've been avoiding anything on TV. For the most part, I'm reading what WHO releases and the John Hopkins newsletter.

Has anyone else heard of any other strains of this coronavirus popping up?
AS far as I know there was L strain and S strain of Covid-19. The thing about this coronavirus is that it mutates. One being more aggressive than the other. Not one news source has spoken much about the strains since then.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:25 PM   #380
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,125 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

the heck w/ where's WALDO ~~ I want to know where is Dr. Fauci ?