Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Politics And Law

Old 07-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Stearns

How Do You Identify?:
Trans Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Husband

Stearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST Reputation
Default Activism - Past, Present & Future

I thought we could have a central place to post activist activities in which we engage, have engaged in the past, or plan to engage, in order to combat all manner of injustice. Did you march at Gay Pride? E-mail a representative over an issue? Write a letter? Make a phone call? Sign a petition? Work behind the scenes? Were you a part of the Civil Rights Movement? Women's Liberation Movement? Tell us about it.

I myself am a prolific e-mailer. It's not all I do, but it's my most common activity. Some of my e-mails are excoriating in nature (cursing and name-calling are off-limits, though), others are simple requests to a rep to support a particular issue or bill. My most recent e-mail was to David Vitter over his comment re Rachel Maddow's yearbook pic. I pointed out the sexism behind his comment and suggested that he post his apology to her on his home page. I hope what I do makes a difference, but my take on it is: Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but you never know what's going to stick...

So, here's a place to share with one another stories of our efforts to combat bigotry, homophobia, -isms, etc. Let's hear it.
Stearns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Stearns For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Stearns

How Do You Identify?:
Trans Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Husband

Stearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST Reputation
Default NOM in Tampa August 8

I called around to find out what plans Tampa/St. Pete LGBTQI groups have for the National Organization for Marriage's "One Man One Woman" Summer Bus Tour visit on August 8. NOM will be met with a march organized by Tampa's GaYbor District. Soon and I will be making signs, one of which will read:

The Homosexual Agenda:
1. Spend time with family
2. Be treated equally
3. Buy milk

P.S. Thanks to weatherboi for the inspiration for this thread

Last edited by Stearns; 07-19-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Credit to weatherboi
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stearns For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
chefhottie25

How Do You Identify?:
boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy
Relationship Status:
happily taken

chefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stearns View Post
I thought we could have a central place to post activist activities in which we engage, have engaged in the past, or plan to engage, in order to combat all manner of injustice. Did you march at Gay Pride? E-mail a representative over an issue? Write a letter? Make a phone call? Sign a petition? Work behind the scenes? Were you a part of the Civil Rights Movement? Women's Liberation Movement? Tell us about it.

I myself am a prolific e-mailer. It's not all I do, but it's my most common activity. Some of my e-mails are excoriating in nature (cursing and name-calling are off-limits, though), others are simple requests to a rep to support a particular issue or bill. My most recent e-mail was to David Vitter over his comment re Rachel Maddow's yearbook pic. I pointed out the sexism behind his comment and suggested that he post his apology to her on his home page. I hope what I do makes a difference, but my take on it is: Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but you never know what's going to stick...

So, here's a place to share with one another stories of our efforts to combat bigotry, homophobia, -isms, etc. Let's hear it.

This thread reminded me of the "take back the night" marches and rallies my dad use to take me to when I was in college. For those of you who don't know...take back the night is an organization that offers support, education, and advocacy about ending sexual violence. Check out their website www.takebackthenight.org for events in your area.
chefhottie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chefhottie25 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
Stearns

How Do You Identify?:
Trans Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefhottie25 View Post
This thread reminded me of the "take back the night" marches and rallies my dad use to take me to when I was in college. For those of you who don't know...take back the night is an organization that offers support, education, and advocacy about ending sexual violence. Check out their website www.takebackthenight.org for events in your area.
Chef,

That's really cool that your dad was active in Take Back the Night and got you involved in it in college. It's refreshing to see, as we don't see a lot of examples of cis-men standing up for women's rights and protesting against sexual and domestic violence. Thanks for your post and the link.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stearns For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
chefhottie25

How Do You Identify?:
boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy
Relationship Status:
happily taken

chefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Chef,

That's really cool that your dad was active in Take Back the Night and got you involved in it in college. It's refreshing to see, as we don't see a lot of examples of cis-men standing up for women's rights and protesting against sexual and domestic violence. Thanks for your post and the link.
I am proud to say that my dad is a bigger feminist than I am. He is a medic at a large hospital here and is actually part of their rape crisis response team. I am very lucky to have a dad that is so aware and active in causes that seek to end violence against women.
chefhottie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chefhottie25 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:
Urban Bohemian : http://youtu.be/IM96Ch9Gx4A

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,250 Posts
Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation
Default Solidarity

And we stand anyway.......

|....CORREVEIDILE :: Run, Go Tell Him

Land of oblivion, impossible roulette
time still puts out the fire
who wants to look themselves in the eyes now
who wants to discover the stars now

On the clock the hours fold their wings
the women go dressed in sorrow
a mourning look in their eyes screams at the world
come, peace and stop, wars.

Run, go tell him, run, go tell him
Run, go tell him, that I have the weapon
Run, go tell him, that I buried the weapon

Mad hope watches over every corner
troops of grief attacking the giant
that bombards beloved places
and by the moment vanishes the light

How absorbed the women weave
with black thread and lace adornments
a tapestry of a boy laughing innocent
among grenades and rivers of blood

Life’s short, autumns go by, says the jailer
more lost children, patience used up and dashed desires
that this story could have a different ending
and that this time other lights would remain burning
unripe flights, flags that refuse to fly

disobedient, brazen,
standing up to the fatherland and the general himself
they’re not alone, history is with their truth
it’s not worth it, it’s not worth anything

Wounded breast, slaves to selflessness and love
harvesting hopes... always free

Old 07-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Getting ready for Take Back the Night annual neighborhood street BBQ and gathering. Live in a very active neighborhood in terms of watching out for each other and setting up Neighborhood Watch programs, here. It does cut crime!

Also, this is a good way to know who around you might need special assistance when the BIG ONE hits! hey, I live right on the Hayward Fault in the East Bay Area of California- it will happen! Have 3 elderly neighbors in their 80 and 90's. I want to know where their gas main is and valve key to be able to shut it off! Plus they are more sensitive to climate and if it happens in winter, these three could have a very hard time without heat.

I really think small steps get way big steps going!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default COLAGE is seeking Board directors.. get active!!

A very fine organization to be active in!

This is your opportunity to join COLAGE's Board of Directors during a very exciting time for the organization! In the second year of implementing our new strategic plan and in the midst of celebrating our 20th anniversary, COLAGE is looking for dynamic, passionate and active leaders to join the Board of Directors and work with the organization to take it to the next level of its development and impact.
COLAGE is the only national, youth-driven network that connects people with a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or queer (LGBTQ) parent to a community of peers. Growing up knowing that our families are different can make a kid feel confused or conflicted. By connecting with others who share our experience, COLAGE helps us come to the realization that our difference is our strength. With this realization, we become leaders and advocates for the policies that matter most to our families. Based in San Francisco, COLAGE offers an integrated array of local, regional and national programs. With over 10,000 member contacts, a network of chapters across the U.S, and 20 years of expertise in youth empowerment and LGBTQ family matters, COLAGE represents and organizes the millions of people who have one or more LGBTQ parents and families.
The COLAGE Board of Directors is an intergenerational, multi-racial/multi-cultural group of dedicated volunteers that includes youth and adults with LGBTQ parents, LGBTQ parents, and allies from all over the United States. The Board convenes for in-person meetings twice annually in addition to participating in ongoing conference calls and committee meetings. The Board provides crucial guidance and oversight for COLAGE and its programs, performs important fundraising and governance duties, and supports the staff of COLAGE in their ongoing work.

To ensure that all organizational decisions and actions are guided by and reflect COLAGE's diverse membership and constituencies, we are currently seeking people who have one or more of the following backgrounds or identities to apply:
* Do you have one or more transgender parent(s) and/or identify as trans?
* Are you a person of color and active in communities of color?
* Are you from/Do you reside in the Midwest or a rural area of the U.S.? Or from the cities of NYC, DC, or LA?
* Are you male-identified?
* Are you between the ages of 15 and 17?
COLAGE especially seeks dedicated board members with skills and experience in:
* Public relations, marketing, media communications, and e-communications;
* Financial management, investment & oversight or non-profit accounting;
* Fundraising, especially event planning and individual donor program development
BASIC REQUIREMENTS:

* Uphold COLAGE's mission, vision, values, and methodology
* Volunteer average of 10-20 hours per month (some months more, some less)
* Attend in-person three-day meetings twice per year. Spring meeting is in SF Bay Area, Fall meeting location rotates. This Fall the meeting will be in Washington D.C. over the weekend of October 10-12, 2010.
* Participate in all-board conference calls every 6 weeks
* Actively participate on at least one board committee, including monthly calls
* Be an ambassador for COLAGE and LGBTQ families, including being publicly 'out' about your family, in your community

TO APPLY:

Please submit completed COLAGE Board Application Form to the COLAGE Board Development Committee (nominations@colage.org).

When your application is received, you will be notified and may be asked to participate in an interview with one of our current Board members or Executive Director.

QUESTIONS?

Email our Board Development Committee at nominations@colage.org or contact
Beth Teper, Executive Director at 415-861-5437, director@colage.org.

http://www.colage.org/2010/07/colage...d_members.html

APPLICATIONS still being considered, however, APPLY NOW!

Last edited by AtLast; 07-23-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: correction
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
firie
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

firie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputation

I just got home from work, and so don't know if anyone has posted anything on this yet anywhere else.

But I urge anyone interested to please support Nikki Araguz, who is in the court battle of her life. Her recently deceased husband was killed in the line of duty (he was a firefighter) and his family is suing for Nikki to be cut out of his inheritance, pension, and settlement for loss of life due to her being a transgender woman. The media here has been awful, really, probing every detail of her surgery, legal history, and as one would expect, not being the slightest bit competent in their questions of her. She notes in many interviews that she has not even had the time to mourn the tragic loss of her husband.

I have been watching some of the news interviews and just want to warn people that it is really frustrating, sad, and heartbreaking.

Her assets have been frozen by a Texas judge (as of today), and she is living currently off of donations because she is not allowed access to her accounts (even her own money).

Further, this is a potentially, hugely precedent-setting case in Texas, and will overturn the likes of Littleton (an easy Google: Littleton texas transgender).

Sorry, I am hurried here, but it is heartbreaking, and transgender, GLBTQ activists groups here are urging support, if even just sending a letter or email is what one can do.

I have a news link and can connect anyone to other activists groups, if interested.

Link to some news footage: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=7569979

Here is another facebook link for information on how to support: http://www.tgctr.org/2010/07/22/nikki/
firie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Stearns

How Do You Identify?:
Trans Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Husband

Default Inclusive Immigration Reform

Thanks to Dylan and firie for the info that emails are often disregarded and typically carry much less weight than letters. I think I had heard that, but had gotten in the easier (read: lazier) habit of sending emails. I'll be dusting off my pens, notepads and envelopes.

Soon was just on http://immigrationequalityactionfund.org. As many of you know, there is talk of excluding LGBT families from the Immigration Reform bill. It is recommended that people call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121, and ask to be connected to their Congressperson.

Leave this message: "I am your constituent. I ask you to co-sponsor the Uniting American Families Act and the Reuniting Families Act. LGBT families must be included in any immigration reform bill."

They also say that a face-to-face meeting with your Rep is valuable. They're having a free webinar on August 11 to talk about having successful meetings with your Rep.
When:
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
8 PM Eastern/ 7 PM Central/ 6 PM Mountain/ 5 PM Pacific
Duration: 1 hour

You can access the webinar at
http://www.instantpresenter.com/lgbtforcir1

Toll-free call in number:
1-888-450-5996; access code 328775#

Even if you can't go so far as to meet with your Congressperson for issues that are near and dear to your heart, make a phone call, write a letter or send them an email (in the case of a Rep).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stearns For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
jenny

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Relationship Status:
inquire within

Thanked 1,594 Times in 579 Posts
jenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputation

Hey there...

Are we talking here about activism as it relates to queer issues, or any sort of issues? I myself am a big believer of "do something," and along with my dad and several of his friends, I take a very active role in a charity we've formed. We collect furniture and housewares from people who are downsizing or who no longer need their stuff, and we use it to completely outfit apartments for underprivileged people who are obtaining housing through recognized social service agencies in our area. Many of our clients are formerly battered women and their children, AIDS patients, former drug addicts, formerly homeless people and the like.

Making a tangible difference in the lives of these people has, quite literally, changed the lives of all of us who take an active role in our charity. Several of the families we've worked with have become close friends, and now help out with our efforts as a way of "giving back." To me, there's nothing like the feeling I get from knowing that a little kid who was sleeping on a pile of clothes last night will be sleeping in his own bed tonight. Yes, it's hard, sweaty, often frustrating work, but it is oh so very worth it.

“Life's most persistent and urgent question is: 'What are you doing for others?'”
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jenny For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
Stearns

How Do You Identify?:
Trans Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny View Post
Hey there...

Are we talking here about activism as it relates to queer issues, or any sort of issues? I myself am a big believer of "do something," and along with my dad and several of his friends, I take a very active role in a charity we've formed. We collect furniture and housewares from people who are downsizing or who no longer need their stuff, and we use it to completely outfit apartments for underprivileged people who are obtaining housing through recognized social service agencies in our area. Many of our clients are formerly battered women and their children, AIDS patients, former drug addicts, formerly homeless people and the like.

Making a tangible difference in the lives of these people has, quite literally, changed the lives of all of us who take an active role in our charity. Several of the families we've worked with have become close friends, and now help out with our efforts as a way of "giving back." To me, there's nothing like the feeling I get from knowing that a little kid who was sleeping on a pile of clothes last night will be sleeping in his own bed tonight. Yes, it's hard, sweaty, often frustrating work, but it is oh so very worth it.
Any kind of activism at all, Jenny. That's really something that you, your dad and his friends actually formed a charity. I know you don't do it for admiration or accolades, but please allow me to say that I think what you're doing is wonderful. For people to give of themselves like this is really awesome.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #13
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Hmmm...does this count as activism?

I am working on a project to bring more domestic violence awareness to the gay/lesbian/trans communities. I will be doing events such as pride fests and rallies throughout NC. I have also been asked to join a state caucus to change legislature pertaining to these issues, including more updated and fitting dv protective orders (these orders at the moment are very lacking). There is so much to do and so many people to reach. I am thankful for this opportunity that has been given to me...
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 05:51 AM   #14
jenny

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Relationship Status:
inquire within

Thanked 1,594 Times in 579 Posts
jenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Any kind of activism at all, Jenny. That's really something that you, your dad and his friends actually formed a charity. I know you don't do it for admiration or accolades, but please allow me to say that I think what you're doing is wonderful. For people to give of themselves like this is really awesome.
Thanks for your kind words. Personally, I think that most people have the ability to do something -- and the desire as well. Unfortunately, there's a lot of people out there who simply don't know how to get started, or where their particular talents could be utilized.

For my dad and me, the idea for our organization kind of fell in our laps. I was perusing FreeCycle one day, and found a post by a woman who needed furniture for herself and her two kids. To make a long story short, I had a few things I was looking to pass on, as did my dad, so I contacted this woman and found that she and her kids had escaped an abusive husband/father, and were living in a friend's basement, with no furniture at all. One thing led to another, and we ended up furnishing their whole "apartment" with things donated by members of my dad's church.

Prior to that day, we'd never really considered this sort of need before, but once we thought about it, it was glaringly obvious that there were likely tons of people in this woman's shoes. We contacted a local social service agency, and found that while they provide housing for people coming through the system, they don't provide furniture or housewares, so there are an awful lot of people living in apartments with no beds, no dishes, no pots and pans, no sofas...

Anyway, I think most charities start as a way to fill a need, and that's certainly how it worked for us. We had no idea it would become, in just a few short years, a six day a week venture, but here we are -- as we like to say, doing well by doing good.

“Life's most persistent and urgent question is: 'What are you doing for others?'”
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jenny For This Useful Post: