Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Politics And Law

Old 08-15-2010, 01:54 AM   #41
Gayla
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Butch Top
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm not picky
Relationship Status:
She makes me dance like a fool and forget how to breathe.

Thanked 7,078 Times in 1,966 Posts
Gayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by firie View Post
What is it? Didn't Michael Moore point this out? And Canadians tend to have just as many guns or buy as many or some such?

I was raised very Texan gun toting, and so I have mixed feelings here. I grew up around arsenals really. I learned severity and respect and also how to shoot--and not just 1 but several types of guns. My mom always carried a concealed handgun, and my parents had a few in the house. We learned gun safety, we knew not to mess with them. I don't know if it's in my blood per se (goodness) but I'm really Texan when it comes to guns, and concealed weapon permits, but don't carry. When I lived in Kansas City guns had to be visible, and this felt more threatening for some reason. I don't know. I have a hard time here. There is something in my genetic code, I swear, because as liberal and peaceful as I claim to be, I totally get all NRA about guns.

I can pretty much say "ditto" to this because I think everything you said applies to me. Firearms were commonplace when I was growing up and like most things that I grew up around, having them in the house or truck was just "normal". Everyone I knew owned guns. Everyone I knew hunted. My grandfather made gun stocks and taught me how to use, store and clean them. In many ways, they were just tools. No different than fishing tackle or hand tools. Maybe it is just a Texas thing.

While I don't currently own a firearm or have any desire to carry a concealed weapon, I've never felt uncomfortable around someone that was legally armed.

I do have to say that the whole thing about the CCW permit allowing people to bypass the security line in the capital building is about the funniest thing I've heard of in years.
Gayla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gayla For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 02:05 AM   #42
firie
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

firie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputationfirie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayla View Post
I can pretty much say "ditto" to this because I think everything you said applies to me. Firearms were commonplace when I was growing up and like most things that I grew up around, having them in the house or truck was just "normal". Everyone I knew owned guns. Everyone I knew hunted. My grandfather made gun stocks and taught me how to use, store and clean them. In many ways, they were just tools. No different than fishing tackle or hand tools. Maybe it is just a Texas thing.

While I don't currently own a firearm or have any desire to carry a concealed weapon, I've never felt uncomfortable around someone that was legally armed.

I do have to say that the whole thing about the CCW permit allowing people to bypass the security line in the capital building is about the funniest thing I've heard of in years.
Yeah, about the security lines, holy shit, really!

Thanks, because I struggle here, seriously. Like my mom named her guns, they were a part of our family,and that may sound absolutely nuts to some, but my mom wasn't stuffing her pants with them, we just lived with them and we knew (my sister and I as kids) to respect them--we knew how they worked, etc. Commonplace, but really respected. My grandmother died with a shotgun underneath her bed. They just existed alongside us. So this is culturally weird for me, and I grapple with it.

ETA: And you have to, in Texas, have something to kill all the damn snakes. My grandma named her favorite shot gun, the "snake charmer," so it's weird how upbringing plays into things, that's all.
firie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 02:47 AM   #43
Gayla
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Butch Top
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm not picky
Relationship Status:
She makes me dance like a fool and forget how to breathe.

Thanked 7,078 Times in 1,966 Posts
Gayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by firie View Post
]
ETA: And you have to, in Texas, have something to kill all the damn snakes. My grandma named her favorite shot gun, the "snake charmer," so it's weird how upbringing plays into things, that's all.
I was 3 or 4 the first time I really remember hearing a gun fired. My Mom and I were swimming in Onion Creek (this was way before it became what it is now and some friends had cattle on a couple of acres that the creek ran through), she was floating in an inner tube and I was on a raft. She saw a water moccasin a few feet from where we were in the water. She yelled over to the bank and Bill grabbed a gun from the truck and shot it. With us just floating there. And it was no big deal. We all just kept floating and playing in the water. So yeah, I think part of it is how you're raised.
Gayla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gayla For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 03:23 AM   #44
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I know the possibility of someone carrying concealed (legally or not) is high. Has to do with where I live. It does bother me because idiots can get riled and pull the damn gun out and... boom! Many kids are carrying and I am very aware of the fact that getting into some kind of argument with them may be at my peril. I don't own a gun and don't want one. i will avoid conflict due to the fact that I know there are so many people around me that do have guns on their person.

I grew up in a hunting family and guns were in my home (rifles and shot guns). As a kid, I hunted. We all took NRA training and my Dad kept all guns and shells locked-up.

Once, I dated a woman that carried all of the time because of the neighborhood she lived in. I was not comfortable with her bringi8ng the gun into my home, so, she locked it in a box in her trunk. But, it was her right to have it as far as I was concerned, just not around me. she had a license, went to shooting practice and seemed like a responsible gun owner to me. I don't want one near me.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 03:59 AM   #45
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

The whole "I feel more safe knowing that people carry guns" thing confuses me. It makes me feel as though you aren't thinking things through.

There is a higher percentage of violent crime (personal crime) in the US than there is here - so how are your guns making you any safer? I would argue that it makes you LESS safe. When I visit the US I try hard not to think about the fact that the people around me might have handguns in their purses - because if I think about that too much I WILL NOT VISIT THE US. It's too scary for me. Like Atlast said - I also, knowing that the people around me are likely to have a gun, avoid conflict in the US. I do not feel safer. I feel intimidated.

People who are super in favour of carrying guns always seem to (with me) use the argument that there is less property crime (theft, vandalism, etc) in the US. But I ask you this: Would you rather have someone steal something of yours...or would you rather get shot? I mean, honestly. It should be a no-brainer.

If someone is going to assault me in Canada, they are more likely to use a knife than a gun. I would much rather get stabbed than get shot - you're more likely to survive a knife wound than a bullet wound.

I have no problem with people keeping guns in their house for hunting, for collections, etc. I do have a problem with people keeping LOADED guns in their house. I have a bigger problem with people keeping loaded guns on their person out in public. It sounds judgmental - but I could not be friends with someone who carried a gun with them because I would be uncomfortable and feel unsafe while hanging out with them.

My father has a hunting rifle in his house. No problem there. He keeps it locked in a cabinet. He keeps his bullets locked in a box in another area of the house. He does not keep the key to the cabinet and the key to the box in the same place. That's the law - except for the thing about keeping the keys separate, that's just about my Dad being my Dad.

Speaking as an outsider: American culture in general strikes me as pretty gun loving. American culture ALSO strikes me as very fear driven. Fear and guns sounds like a really shitty combination to me. Your media and your politicians seem to be pulling together to get you guys afraid and KEEP you afraid. Scared people toe the line. Scared people don't speak up, act out, or make a scene. Scared people strike me as less free.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #46
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Thanked 12,786 Times in 2,431 Posts
Bard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST Reputation

When I am off duty and have my weapon it is carried so that it is hard to see Obviously when I am on duty it is in the holster on my hip. undercover it is a diffrent holster but still and you can be sure I have my shield with me at all times. We go to the range to qualify at least two times a year and I can tell you the standards are very high. about the only places I can not carry are in fedral building and NYC lol guess they don't think to much of us upstate local cops huh
if you are thinking of anytpe of firearm you should get safty training and know what it can do how to break it down and clean it ect there is a lot of responsiblity to owning a gun. I take it very seriously but by the same toen I will protect my family any way I have to. my daughter knows I have a gun she has never seen it and it is way out of her reach now my girl I have shown my off duty piece and I do plan on taking her to the range to have her familer with how it works after all I do work nights and have to live in the city at the moment
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 06:36 AM   #47
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
I know the possibility of someone carrying concealed (legally or not) is high. Has to do with where I live. It does bother me because idiots can get riled and pull the damn gun out and... boom! Many kids are carrying and I am very aware of the fact that getting into some kind of argument with them may be at my peril.
Precisely. Permit or no permit, education or not, it just takes one emotionally charged incident to justify (whether rational or not) shooting someone.

I love guns. I love all kinds of weaponry, actually. But I don't have any in my house. That may change, but for now, I have no use for a gun in my house. I'm okay with that. I'm not okay with carrying one around 24/7. I'm not okay knowing someone that walks around with one either.

Not too long ago, someone very close to us dated a military man -- who obviously had a permit to carry guns. Well, long story short, turns out the fucker was a psycho, who not only had legal guns, but a shit load of illegal ones as well - and carried them around with him in his truck. And, he wasn't afraid to threaten people with it, or intimidate people by letting them know he was carrying one. Point is, people who you think should be trusted with guns, really aren't. You might think that is an isolated incident, but is it really? I don't think so. I know too many cops who shouldn't be carrying guns.

Where I do believe that everyone has a right to bear arms, I also think of the dangers associated with that "freedom". It does all boil down to responsibility, but even the most responsible person "loses it" at some point. I can only hope I am not in the wrong place at the wrong time.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #48
Stearns

How Do You Identify?:
Trans Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Husband

Stearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST Reputation

It just amazes me when people blame and worry about innocent, law-abiding U.S. citizens having guns. In my opinion, THAT'S what's wrong - misplaced responsibility. Let the predatory criminals do whatever they want, and god forbid someone try to stop them?

You cannot wipe out generations who used and viewed guns as a means of survival - for food and safety. Try stabbing a poisonous snake, go ahead. Those of us who grew up around guns were taught to use them only for defense (excluding target-shooting and hunting). It is those who misuse guns - i.e., for offensive purposes - who are to blame, are they not?

Should we have a society where there is no need for citizens to have handguns? That would be wonderful, and I challenge you to find one person in the U.S. who wouldn't want to live in such a manner. The reality is, unfortunately, very different. We absolutely do live in a culture of fear of violence. It is not without reason and evidence as some suggest, however. Rather than condemnation, is there compassion? Compassion for those who don't contribute to such an environment; for those who would like nothing better than to be able to leave their windows open and doors unlocked at night; for those who don't molest; for those who don't prey upon others.

I'd like to know, from those of you who do not believe innocent, law-abiding citizens should own guns, what your suggestion is. What would you do, if you could, to end the culture of violence in the U.S.? This is a serious question; I'm truly interested in your proposed solutions.
Stearns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stearns For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #49
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts
afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
Out of curiosity have any of you who have a concealed weapons permit and/or carry regularly had a gun pulled on / leveled at you?

yes I have...once.
I was robbed at the place I was working and I let them have what they came in for, money.
I had a pistol in my boot and could have shot the perp as he left. that is not why I carry though.
I carry when I feel the need, for my safety.
afixer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afixer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #50
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,783 Times in 4,470 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stearns View Post
It just amazes me when people blame and worry about innocent, law-abiding U.S. citizens having guns. In my opinion, THAT'S what's wrong - misplaced responsibility. Let the predatory criminals do whatever they want, and god forbid someone try to stop them?

You cannot wipe out generations who used and viewed guns as a means of survival - for food and safety. Try stabbing a poisonous snake, go ahead. Those of us who grew up around guns were taught to use them only for defense (excluding target-shooting and hunting). It is those who misuse guns - i.e., for offensive purposes - who are to blame, are they not?

Should we have a society where there is no need for citizens to have handguns? That would be wonderful, and I challenge you to find one person in the U.S. who wouldn't want to live in such a manner. The reality is, unfortunately, very different. We absolutely do live in a culture of fear of violence. It is not without reason and evidence as some suggest, however. Rather than condemnation, is there compassion? Compassion for those who don't contribute to such an environment; for those who would like nothing better than to be able to leave their windows open and doors unlocked at night; for those who don't molest; for those who don't prey upon others.

I'd like to know, from those of you who do not believe innocent, law-abiding citizens should own guns, what your suggestion is. What would you do, if you could, to end the culture of violence in the U.S.? This is a serious question; I'm truly interested in your proposed solutions.
Saying that those opposed to citizens arming themselves with either concealed or not concealed weapons is not saying this: " Let the predatory criminals do whatever they want, and god forbid someone try to stop them." That's a false argument.

Having ordinary citizens (many of whom are not "innocent" and most of whom are not sharp shooters) will not decrease crime or violence in any way, shape or form.

This reminds me of the argument of trying to say that having nuclear weapons that can blow the world up to smithereens somehow makes the world safer. More guns just increases the odds more violence is going to happen- simple math.

Having more people with guns- do you really think the "predatory" criminals are going to be deterred by ordinary citizens carrying guns? Personally I think they will be rolling in the aisles at the thought of Sam and Sally Sharpshooter trying to take them down.

It's always quite telling the international response to the gun issue versus Americans (USA variety). People in other countries are just as concerned about crime and protecting their loved ones as we are. They don't see guns as the answer.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #51
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 5/27/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy ho, hy ho; he, she, it, whatever
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

Thanked 2,958 Times in 953 Posts
waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation

I think that for me, one of the problems with this discussion are what one presupposes as innocent and law abiding. Historically, this position of what might be called rightness (and whiteness) those deemed to fit in this group and were either given tacit approval, legal approval, or permits, belonged to group who wielded power over others. Those denied such permissions were "law breakers" and others who were deemed "at risk."
As a POC and butch, I was assaulted by self proclaimed REDNECKS on the Burnside Bridge in Portland, Oregon some years ago. As a health care professional without a criminal record, I was denied a permit to carry, despite this experience. I didn't really want to, but like many here, wad frightened. A friend of a friend was on the Police force. He took me to a shooting range. Taught me safety and cleaning, then helped me bypass the prior denial to get my permit. I did buy a gun ... it was stolen@
! But I was both afraid about this and very glad.

Even though there have been occasions, for protection of self or material thongs (even my new kitchen sink wstill in the box was stolen), I never got another gun. I was really angered about the thefts, but realized that I didn't want to shoot some kid over a Friggin sink. Besides, Oakland PD being what it is (and if there were a reason to carry, they would be it ... for ME), I would likely be denied as a matter of course.

Sorry about the ramble.
waxnrope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to waxnrope For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #52
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation

I think that for me, one of the problems with this discussion are what one presupposes as innocent and law abiding. Historically, this position of what might be called rightness (and whiteness) those deemed to fit in this group and were either given tacit approval, legal approval, or permits, and belonged to group who wielded power over others. Those denied such permissions were "law breakers" and others who were deemed "at risk."
As a POC and butch, I was assaulted by self proclaimed REDNECKS on the Burnside Bridge in Portland, Oregon some years ago. As a health care professional without a criminal record, I was denied a permit to carry, despite this experience. I didn't really want to, but like many here, was frightened. A friend of a friend was on the Police force. He took me to a shooting range. Taught me safety and cleaning, then helped me bypass the prior denial to get my permit. I did buy a gun ... it was stolen@
! But I was both afraid about this and very glad.

Even though there have been occasions, for protection of self or material thongs (even my new kitchen sink wstill in the box was stolen), I never got another gun. I was really angered about the thefts, but realized that I didn't want to shoot some kid over a Friggin sink. Besides, Oakland PD being what it is (and if there were a reason to carry, they would be it ... for ME), I would likely be denied as a matter of course.

Sorry about the ramble.

Last edited by waxnrope; 08-15-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: dumbass phone duplicated message. now i cant delete. aargh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waxnrope For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #53
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Good points Waxnrope. If ordinary citizens are allowed to carry concealed weapons, does anyone really believe that young men of color or say visibly looking queer people are going to be given the same "right?"

As to police officers having guns, let's ask the people of color who live in Portland, OR if they feel safer knowing this.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #54
Zora77

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Zora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST Reputation

After continuing to read this discussion I have moments where I feel proud to be German - which is a first!

Where to start - or continue? It makes shiver to read "growing up around guns". Every year there are thousands of children and teenagers who get killed as a result accidents involving guns. Apparently those law-abiding citizens do not all come with good parenting skills or the little bit of imagination it takes to figure out what could happen when your five year old gets his or her hands on the gun under mum's bed.
Zora77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zora77 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #55
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

I suspect that, just as one item on another thread a poster felt like a hamster, we are spinning around our own beliefs and convictions, the lines are drawn and no one will move or cross boundaries. Yet I hope that we all understand the fear that drives people to have a gum, albeit, those fears may be oppositional, thus noteworthy. I also hope that those who advocate the use and legal permission to carry guns realize that not everyone will have the right to do so

Meanwhile, criminals will continue to get and use guns. And SOME police and others given authority will abuse their rights. Ah, an armed nation, legal and illegally armed. Pass the popcorn, please.
The Following User Says Thank You to waxnrope For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #56
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
You cannot wipe out generations who used and viewed guns as a means of survival - for food and safety. Try stabbing a poisonous snake, go ahead.
This is a different time. Unless you live in the woods surrounded by bears and only get to eat what you personally kill - you do not need guns for food and safety. You do not need a gun on your person at the grocery store. You do not need a gun on your person at the post office. You do not need a gun on your person at a bar.

I can see how carrying a handgun can potentially make a shitty situation into a deadly situation. If somebody who has a gun is stealing your wallet and you reach for or mention your gun - he's going to shoot you. You have turned a situation where you could have lost your wallet and kept your life into a situation where you get to keep neither. But you're safer, how?

More guns is not going to solve the problem of violence in the US. Guns, handgun specifically, are an instrument of violence. On what planet does it make sense that you're going to stop violence by creating more violence?
Old 08-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #57
Zora77

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Zora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST ReputationZora77 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
Good points Waxnrope. If ordinary citizens are allowed to carry concealed weapons, does anyone really believe that young men of color or say visibly looking queer people are going to be given the same "right?"

As to police officers having guns, let's ask the people of color who live in Portland, OR if they feel safer knowing this.
Thank you for mentioning this important aspect. I think it is not possible to fully understand the discussion on gun laws in this country without seeing it in the context of White Privilege. Here an excerpt from an interesting article by Tim Wise:

Imagine if the Tea Party was Black (by Tim Wise)

(...)

Imagine that hundreds of black protesters were to descend upon Washington DC and Northern Virginia, just a few miles from the Capitol and White House, armed with AK-47s, assorted handguns, and ammunition. And imagine that some of these protesters —the black protesters — spoke of the need for political revolution, and possibly even armed conflict in the event that laws they didn’t like were enforced by the government? Would these protester — these black protesters with guns — be seen as brave defenders of the Second Amendment, or would they be viewed by most whites as a danger to the republic? What if they were Arab-Americans? Because, after all, that’s what happened recently when white gun enthusiasts descended upon the nation’s capital, arms in hand, and verbally announced their readiness to make war on the country’s political leaders if the need arose.

(...)

(To read the full article go to: http://cosmicnavellint.blogspot.com/...-tim-wise.html)
Zora77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zora77 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #58
Stearns

How Do You Identify?:
Trans Man
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Husband

Stearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST ReputationStearns Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
Saying that those opposed to citizens arming themselves with either concealed or not concealed weapons is not saying this: " Let the predatory criminals do whatever they want, and god forbid someone try to stop them." That's a false argument.

Having ordinary citizens (many of whom are not "innocent" and most of whom are not sharp shooters) will not decrease crime or violence in any way, shape or form.

This reminds me of the argument of trying to say that having nuclear weapons that can blow the world up to smithereens somehow makes the world safer. More guns just increases the odds more violence is going to happen- simple math.

Having more people with guns- do you really think the "predatory" criminals are going to be deterred by ordinary citizens carrying guns? Personally I think they will be rolling in the aisles at the thought of Sam and Sally Sharpshooter trying to take them down.

It's always quite telling the international response to the gun issue versus Americans (USA variety). People in other countries are just as concerned about crime and protecting their loved ones as we are. They don't see guns as the answer.
Good points, Bully, but I don't think citizens who arm themselves for protection have any expectations or intentions to deter and affect the overall crime rate. They just want to protect themselves and their loved ones should the need arise. Deterrence connotes proactivity. Guns for self-defense are RE-active; reacting to a situation one is dealt through no fault of their own.

I'm curious, why did you put predator in quotes?

Still waiting to hear WHAT to do, not what NOT to do.
Stearns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stearns For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #59
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

If I walked in a Starbucks and saw a bunch of folks with weapons I would RUN out the door..........scares the bejesus out of me.........I would also be willing to bet a year's pay that those folks were white in that Starbucks......and I would bet a year's pay that if all those folks armed in Starbucks were black no one would feel safe..........

more to say later............
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #60
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Quote:
Good points, Bully, but I don't think citizens who arm themselves for protection have any expectations or intentions to deter and affect the overall crime rate. They just want to protect themselves and their loved ones should the need arise. Deterrence connotes proactivity. Guns for self-defense are RE-active; reacting to a situation one is dealt through no fault of their own.

I'm curious, why did you put predator in quotes?

Still waiting to hear WHAT to do, not what NOT to do.
Well I agree with you that guns for self-defense is re-active not proactive and will not result in deterrence. I have heard many gun proponents say that gun ownership by ordinary citizens will lead to a decrease in crime, and I find that idea to be ludicrous.

I have also read several times that many (perhaps a majority but I am not sure) of crimes committed where a gun was involved that the gun was stolen. So again, having more guns in circulation is going to help how?

Certainly there are some responsible people such as yourself who would only use a gun if really, really you felt it necessary to protect yourself, wife or other loved ones. I am sure you would use good judgment and if you were to have a gun I would assume you would make sure you knew how to use it.

Do I think the majority of ordinary citizens if they were to have guns would operate in this manner? No I do not. Look at how people use their cell phones while driving (hello a moving vehicle can kill people, I don't think chatting to your friends while driving is a real responsible thing to do).

Even if used responsibly, what are the chances of an ordinary citizen armed with a gun being really able to effectively protect themselves against an armed criminal who knows going in what they are doing and the ordinary citizen is caught off guard? Also, don't armed criminals often work in groups, rather than as one person? I think people watch way too many violent cops and robbers shows and think they can be a hero. I am sure there are some wonderful exceptions to this.

As to putting quotes around predatory, I think I was off put by the whole innocent citizen thing so probably that was just unnecessary of me. There are armed violent criminals who are predatory. I think having more and more people armed with guns and more guns in circulation will just produce more of them.

My first step is make guns really, really, really, really hard to get. As hard to get as possible. Give armed police officers and any other security or what have you armed personnel lots and lots of training of when they should and shouldn't shoot off their guns (which of course is going to require more than just technical training).

Is this going to wipe out all crime as we know it? No. But I sure as hell think it beats putting more guns into circulation, especially in the hands of people who can't even drive their shopping carts through the grocery store properly.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post: