Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation
Default Crone Femmes?

Hey all,

I have seen the terminology "Crone" in attachment with certain identities and recently, "Crone" specifically attached to Femme identities. I had always thought of a "Crone" as a magical identity whereby wisdom and age danced together. Being curious, I decided to read up a little and found this:

"The crone is a stock character in folklore and fairy tale, an old woman who is usually disagreeable, malicious, or sinister in manner, often with magical or supernatural associations that can make her either helpful or obstructing. She is marginalized by her exclusion from the reproductive cycle,[1] and her proximity to death places her in contact with occult wisdom. As a character type, the crone shares characteristics with the hag.

The word "crone" is a less common synonym for "old woman," and is more likely to appear in reference to traditional narratives than in contemporary everyday usage.[2] The word became further specialized as the third aspect of the Triple Goddess popularized by Robert Graves and subsequently in some forms of neopaganism, particularly Wicca."

Im curious if there are any Femmes who identify as "Crone" and if this identity is tied to Wicca for you, if it is tied to age and wisdom, or if there is some other meaning for you? I hope Im asking this the right way, not trying to be offensive, just highly curious.
When I read the definition above for "Crone", it feels kinda ageist...but maybe this is my ignorant read.

Thoughts on this identity?
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post: