Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > LGBT Activism, Allies, ETC.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Hokie Girl

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian

Hokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lesbian Health Survey- Can you help this PhD Student?? PLEASE!!

Did you know overweight and obesity influence the onset of other chronic diseases, such as diabetes, stroke, heart disease, osteoarthritis,
as well as breast and colon cancer?

I am a PhD student at Virginia Tech, in the Department of Human Nutrition, Foods, & Exercise. My focus is in behavioral science, that is nutrition
and physical activity habits, as they influence overweight and obesity. My dissertation, specifically, is dedicated to the investigation of overweight/obesity within the lesbian community. As a lesbian, this is a topic about which I am passionately dedicated to making a difference, and conducting this study is one way I can make a positive contribution in my community. But, to do so, I need your help!

HERE IS HOW YOU CAN HELP:
Our community is an extremely difficult population to identify and to research. As a result, not much is known about our health and wellness behaviors, rendering us particularly vulnerable when it comes to treating illness and disease. My hope is that my dissertation findings will be a starting point for addressing important health issues within the lesbian community. As such, if you would be willing to take the following anonymous survey (it will take approximately 30 mins) regarding your leisure-time activities and eating habits that would be great. Additionally, if you would be willing to pass it along to other lesbian friends and family, that would be sincerely appreciated! My hope is recruit 250 respondents; and, currently I have about 80 respondents.

Lastly, although most importantly, THANK YOU!

The survey can be found at the following link:
http://www.surveymethods.com/EndUser...CCD687C6D5D086
Hokie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hokie Girl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,620 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

can someone validate this is legit? i clicked and got a strange page, with Next on it. Call me paranoid but it could be a virus or it could be a scam or it could be a group trying to get information on our community.

The profile is weak, the information is vague and they just joined.

Did they approach Jack or Medusa? Or any of the mods? Ethically that is what a student or researcher should and professionally would do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
turasultana

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
spoken for

turasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputation

click thru - it's a survey.

I'm at work so I haven't done it. While I can't attest to who the person is, and though it says the university name etc (VIRGINIA POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE AND STATE UNIVERSITY), I can only say it's a survey. It doesn't seem at first glance to ask any identifying info, looks like it will aggregate data.

its not going to steal your soul far as I can tell.

I'll probably do it when i get home.
turasultana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turasultana For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Hokie Girl

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian

Hokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond reputeHokie Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Many Apologies!!

I am so sorry to have scared you. This is legitimate. I am a lesbian; however, I have never been on this site before. This survey is also posted on the Bella/Spinsters Author's Forum, where someone recommended this site as a possibility to have women complete the survey.

I did send an email to the admin yesterday regarding my survey. Again, MANY APOLOGIES. I didn't know how often the moderators read through their mail. On some sites, I've still not heard back from admins. So, I sincerely apologize.

Although my description may seem vague in the posting, just follow the link to surveymethods.com, there is a consent form more descriptively detailing the entire study.

Again, I am REALLY sorry to have caused such angst. I am truly a PhD student, just trying to gather data to graduate in December.

Best,
Hokie Girl
The Following User Says Thank You to Hokie Girl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,620 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

Hokie...its ok. I am just not a trusting person in regard to cyberland. I have had one too many viruses and worry too much about the moral majority and their list makings. When I hear an ok from Medusa or Jackhammer or a mod, I will take the survey....
Old 09-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

i'm curious if the survey stat's are going to be compared to women of average weight who are also at risk for chronic diseases, such as diabetes, stroke, heart disease, osteoarthritis, as well as breast and colon cancer?

it bothers me that the finger pointing about these issues is always directed at overweight women.

not to disrespect your survey Hokie Girl, just curious if all variables are being computed. are you going to include statistics of those surveyed who are overweight yet lead healthy, normal and active lives?
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Hey, Hokie, I thought this might be of help to you: http://www.lindabacon.org/
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
Hokie Girl

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian

I would just like to address everyone who has provided input on this topic, and the way in which I went about posting. Thank you for bringing these concerns to light.

I did ask permission, and I am sorry I didn't wait to hear back from the admin. I was not trying to be unethical; I was just ignorant to the practices on this forum and knew my intentions were not to be exploitive or disrespectful. I was excited to get started. Again, MANY apologies.

Honestly, Toughy, I just didn't see your initial post, when I went through and answered the newest ones. And, when I came back to check in, there was the long post you had written. So, I wasn't trying to ignore your question. In fact, I want to thank you for what you said. I appreciate your perspective and your in-depth knowledge of research, the process, and the protection of respondents/human subjects. You have brought to light the intricacies of surveying (and you're right, this is a survey). When using the terms "lesbian" and "bisexual" I was thinking women who self-identified that way, and although I have written this up in my paper, you are correct, I should have included it in my consent.

And, again, you're correct, 250 respondents, obviously, will not provide the needed information to change healthcare for lesbians. It is a dissertation project, from which I am hoping to learn and grow and think about many of the things you have pointed out here. It is an exercise to improve my skills and become a better researcher in the future. I am a student, and I am learning. And, the responses gleaned from this survey are being used as a starting point in trying to better understand the areas that need further investigation.

My sincere interest is trying to collect a small set of data to better educate me in this area and to learn how to improve research in this area. The admin is correct, this forum is an intelligent group. I very much appreciate the feedback I've received. I will discuss these issues with my committee and during my defense, so I thank you. As well, I whole-heartedly apologize for the heated debate I sparked by inadequately answering (or not answering) posts. Truthfully, there was no lack of honesty or deception being employed on my end. I will work to improve measures and wording of questions, etc. for future work. This project has been a great exercise to offer insight into how to improve such things, and I sincerely appreciate your input.

So, again, I want to thank you. I'm grateful for your honesty and knowledge. I humbly request your forgiveness. You have provided me with much to consider.

Best,
HG