Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCowboi View Post
It's "NEVER too late" ???? yes, I have been preparing for this race for a long time, My money is paid.... was paid before the funding was cut and then uncut.... our local affiliate STILL WORKS WITH PLANNED PARENTHOOD. I don't have to agree with the freaking headquarters idiots to support the local affiliate.
Yes, SGK is a greedy organization....I hate their politics.... but... SGK has helped a handful of my friends.... I cannot and will not ignore that.... Will this be the last SGK race I run in... I don't know... I will watch and wait....
It's not up to you to tell me who I run for or belittle why I'm running..... I AM running for those who cannot run.....
My comments were directed at the ideas, not you Texas Cowboi.

Planned Parenthood never had funding cut. The local affiliates are still working with PP based on the money awarded during the last grant cycle. The Komen BoD under VP of Public Policy Handel (a right wing nut job) changed the rules for this next grant cycle specifically to keep PP from applying. PP was denied the ability to submit proposals for the next grant cycle. After the uproar, Komen said PP could apply in the next grant cycle. Planned Parenthood may or may not be granted money in this next cycle. Komen is doing the 'watch this hand' game, however the truth about them is finally coming to light.

If any person thinks it's too late to pull out, I have a suggestion. First, wear nothing with the Komen logo (ever again). Second, wear a sign that says this is your last run because Komen does not support women's health.

I absolutely know one of my best friends in this world, who died (age 45) of breast cancer not detected by mammogram (so much for early detection), would haunt me for the rest of my life if I gave a penny to any and every group that had the Komen brand on it.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #62
TexasCowboi

How Do You Identify?:
TGStoneButch
Relationship Status:
Married....'nuff said

TexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post

Planned Parenthood never had funding cut. The local affiliates are still working with PP based on the money awarded during the last grant cycle. The Komen BoD under VP of Public Policy Handel (a right wing nut job) changed the rules for this next grant cycle specifically to keep PP from applying. PP was denied the ability to submit proposals for the next grant cycle. After the uproar, Komen said PP could apply in the next grant cycle. Planned Parenthood may or may not be granted money in this next cycle. Komen is doing the 'watch this hand' game, however the truth about them is finally coming to light.

If any person thinks it's too late to pull out, I have a suggestion. First, wear nothing with the Komen logo (ever again). Second, wear a sign that says this is your last run because Komen does not support women's health.

I absolutely know one of my best friends in this world, who died (age 45) of breast cancer not detected by mammogram (so much for early detection), would haunt me for the rest of my life if I gave a penny to any and every group that had the Komen brand on it.

""no matter what you tell yourself about 'I run for those who can't run'.....you are running for Komen and Komen gets your money" ok, that read that you were belittling my running for these people who are so sickened with this disease that they cant run themself..... I run for them.... you belittled and criticized My "ideas" .... you belittle me. bottom line is you dont get to tell me who I run for Toughy......

I wonder if I can get Team Jogging for Jugs or Trotting for Titties or even Bowling for Boobs off the ground as another Cancer Charity sporting event...
TexasCowboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #63
TexasCowboi

How Do You Identify?:
TGStoneButch
Relationship Status:
Married....'nuff said

TexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST ReputationTexasCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Toughy..... #1 For me.... it is too late to pull out of the race..... get past that please...... #2 I am ALREADY planning a protest during the race...... My own protest..... Trust me.... it will be a good one......I've already run it by several people.... #3.... not gonna post a sign saying that this will be my last run because I dont know if this will be my last run.... I will be watching Komen very closelu to see what they do with their funding.... while they support the underprivileged women of our county area
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TexasCowboi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #64
pynkkameleon

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girly ones
Relationship Status:
Riding off into the sunset with my Cowboi

pynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputationpynkkameleon Has the BEST Reputation

I'm very anti-Komen and have been for quite some time now. I was also diagnosed with aggressive Breast Cancer in October 2009.

with that said...

I fully support and am proud of TC's decision to run in this event. The decision to participate was a long thought out and well planned one. It is a decision to race FOR the survivors and for those precious lives we have lost. It's not to race in support of Komen. As far as the money goes. Yes, there will be funds raised and yes, only some of the money will stay within the community. Approximately 75%. That's 75% more funds available to benefit those in need. For this purpose, I'm okay with that. I honor and respect TC's and any other person's decision to participate in these events. It is their own choice and they almost all race for someone they care for and/or for whom they have lost. I'm not going to take that away from them, even if I do believe that SGK does not have their priorities or funding straight. I expect that we will see more than just TC running in a SGK sponsored race, protesting in their own way throughout the country. I see it as an act of activism, bravery and wonderful bit of "F-U". We each protest in the ways that we can. Some by giving their time or money to more deserving organizations, some via word of mouth and by educating others, some silently, some boldly and some just as TC has chosen to do.

Toughy - My heart aches for the loss of your friend.

Don't define your world in black and white..

There is so much hiding amongst the greys

❤❤❤❤❤
pynkkameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pynkkameleon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #65
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

...look Texas Cowboi....you do not own the idea of whether to run or not, wear a pink ribbon or not, protest or not. Once again, I was not belittling you, I was giving my opinion about raising money for Komen by running. I offered a suggestion or two for those who still want to run. This is soooooooo not about you the person Cowboi.

We human beings tell ourselves all kinds of things about why we do things and it makes us feel better if we feel like we are doing something good. That includes me.

In the end, the money goes to the general fund of Komen. Every penny raised in their events is an unrestricted donation that Komen can spend anyway they want. Komen cuts a deal with the local affiliates for part of that money. That's how it works. You can pretty up the language to make it sound all nice, however just remember the Board of Directors approved this endeavor. That would be the leadership, so I bet a dollar to a donut PP will either get no money or drastically reduced money in the next grant cycle.

Vonni, thanks for your condolences......
I will not assimilate

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #66
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Exclamation

BREAKING: Anti-Choice Komen VP Karen Handel Resigns, Admits Role In Plan\ned Parenthood Decision

Her resignation letter: http://karenhandelkomen.com/
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #67
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

She "resigned in protest" ..... yeah. Right.

Good riddance, I say.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #68
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/0...=sidebyuserrec

the last paragraph from the above article:

Komen is in damage control mode, and despite its blatant dishonesty, it will be well served by the traditional media's now traditional role of obscuring and obfuscating. But what has been revealed by Komen's move against Planned Parenthood was not out of character for an organization that long has proved itself more interested in self-promotion than public health. Komen is not about medical science, but it never really was.
I will not assimilate

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #69
SmoothButch

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
X
Relationship Status:
Happily enjoying my life

Thanked 1,297 Times in 400 Posts
SmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default What Breast Cancer is, and is not!

article via Huff Po

Old 02-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #70
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,620 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting article. Talks about the breakdown of donations.

I Will Not Be Pinkwashed

Repeats in case they were missed the first time around.
Komen Foundation's Politics

Behind The Pink Curtain
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #71
TexasCowboi

How Do You Identify?:
TGStoneButch
Relationship Status:
Married....'nuff said

Quote:
...look Texas Cowboi....you do not own the idea of whether to run or not, wear a pink ribbon or not, protest or not. Once again, I was not belittling you, I was giving my opinion about raising money for Komen by running. I offered a suggestion or two for those who still want to run. This is soooooooo not about you the person Cowboi.

We human beings tell ourselves all kinds of things about why we do things and it makes us feel better if we feel like we are doing something good. That includes me.

In the end, the money goes to the general fund of Komen. Every penny raised in their events is an unrestricted donation that Komen can spend anyway they want. Komen cuts a deal with the local affiliates for part of that money. That's how it works. You can pretty up the language to make it sound all nice, however just remember the Board of Directors approved this endeavor. That would be the leadership, so I bet a dollar to a donut PP will either get no money or drastically reduced money in the next grant cycle.

Vonni, thanks for your condolences......

no one ever said I owned the idea of running, wearing a pink ribbon or whatnot... and no one, not even myself, said this was about me.... it was about your "tone".....

sometimes moderation is a good thing....

As long as our local affiliate still works with Planned Parenthood, I will be ok with it.... Should they stop working with PP, then I'll stop running in their race....

I understand everyone's issue with Komen.... I have the same issues with that organization......... My friends' memories.... my friends' battles..... are worth way more than the 35 dollar entry fee. I'm not raising any money for SGK foundation..... I'm not wearing the SGK pink ribbon symbol.... in fact, I'll probably have the letters SGK across my ass....and the letters P P on my really visible biggo pink bra..... and when I run by any camera, I'm gonna flip up the back of my tu-tu and show my ass to the camera.....
The Following User Says Thank You to TexasCowboi For This Useful Post: