Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 04-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation
Default The Westboro Baptist Church - Hate Group or?

The signs say "God Hates Fags" or "Adam and Eve - Not Adam and Steve!" and now they have turned their attention on Constance McMillen, the Etiwamba High School Senior who wanted to attend Prom with her girlfriend and was subsequently blackballed by parents and other students, being sent to a fake prom.

The Westboro Baptist Church is now planning to picket at Constance's High School Graduation.

I am sitting here wondering if other people see the Westboro Church as a Hate Group, akin to the KKK?
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Yes, hate group. Southern Proverty Law Center (SPLC) has listed them under the "general hate" category (http://www.splcenter.org/node/105/activegroups -- see Kansas at the bottom)

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Rufusboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Partnered

Rufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
The signs say "God Hates Fags" or "Adam and Eve - Not Adam and Steve!" and now they have turned their attention on Constance McMillen, the Etiwamba High School Senior who wanted to attend Prom with her girlfriend and was subsequently blackballed by parents and other students, being sent to a fake prom.

The Westboro Baptist Church is now planning to picket at Constance's High School Graduation.

I am sitting here wondering if other people see the Westboro Church as a Hate Group, akin to the KKK?
They have their own twisted logic. They are a joke. Even your moderate homophobes won't touch Westboro with a 10ft pole. Arguing with them does no good. THey love publicity. They know what envelope to push and they know what can get them into legal trouble and what can't. Best thing is to ignore them. THey want attention, they want argument, and they want the media at their pickets. Collectively ignoring them takes away any power they think they might wield. Are they akin to the KKK. Yes, they are in a way. They focus their collective hatred on one group. But I don't see them as physically dangerous. Nor do they have any power or any influence. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like there is a collective eye roll when Phelps and his family show up. Most towns don't want them around. But you know....freedom of speech and freedom to peaceably assemble and all......I'm more worried about the Arizona "show me your papers" law than Phelps.

Rufus
Rufusboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rufusboi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I have no idea what to think about people so filled with hate. I have heard it is all one family?

Seriously, they seem to go way farther than other Hate groups to see publicity, which makes me think that you all are right and it is all about the publicity and nothing else.

UGH.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I I have heard it is all one family?

UGH.

This is the part where I censor myself from making some comment about them being "inbred".
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
This is the part where I censor myself from making some comment about them being "inbred".

Yeah, sorry, I did hear that though?
Old 04-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

I don't know that I see them as being as dangerous as some other hate groups, though. Hurtful and grody, yes....but dangerous? I don't know. They don't go around under a cloak of secrecy like some groups do, and to my knowledge they've not (yet) been physically violent or broken the law outright.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Yeah, sorry, I did hear that though?
Oh I did too! And something about how the church isnt as big as it looks and that they put a lot of energy into their website and publicity-drawing ventures.

It's just...EWW.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

I saw them in action at the funeral of a soldier. It was absolutely horrible what they said and did. The media, police officiers, even the members of the Church where the funeral service was being held came outside to protect the privacy of the family of the deceased soldier. He was just 18 yo. And his siblings were youngsters, as were his parents and grandparents (young not youngsters). All I can say is Thank God he chose to be buried at Arlington National Cemetary. That drive lost most of the WBC group.

The WBC is nothing but pure hate. I am just surprised that nobody has assinated Rev. Fred Phelps yet. And he hatred is going to take generations to fix.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post

I saw them in action at the funeral of a soldier. It was absolutely horrible what they said and did. The media, police officiers, even the members of the Church where the funeral service was being held came outside to protect the privacy of the family of the deceased soldier. He was just 18 yo. And his siblings were youngsters, as were his parents. All I can say is Thank God he chose to be buried at Arlington National Cemetary. That drive lost most of the WBC group.

The WBC is nothing but pure hate. I am just surprised that nobody has assinated Rev. Fred Phelps yet. And he hatred is going to take generations to fix.

I think if he were to get killed like that he would become a martyr and it would be worse.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #11
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Ya know.. what gets me is where the hell these folks get all the money to travel and show their asses from??? I am surprised some secret squirrel queer IRS agent hasn't gone after them. We are everywhere ya know.. heh

More food for the removal of non-profit status from organized churches. Let their asses pay taxes on what they raise from their little charity plates before they fill up their tanks to go harass good people.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Ya know.. what gets me is where the hell these folks get all the money to travel and show their asses from??? I am surprised some secret squirrel queer IRS agent hasn't gone after them. We are everywhere ya know.. heh

More food for the removal of non-profit status from organized churches. Let their asses pay taxes on what they raise from their little charity plates before they fill up their tanks to go harass good people.
Yeah, they totally need to pay taxes.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #13
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I think his (Fred Phelp's) son is an attorney. I know that when they were in Fed. Court in Balto. City, it was a nightmare. Our tax dollars went to pay for protecting both them and the father who sued Phelp's and his church. I am glad to see he is taking the suit further on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Yes, hate group. Southern Proverty Law Center (SPLC) has listed them under the "general hate" category (http://www.splcenter.org/node/105/activegroups -- see Kansas at the bottom)
I agree, hate group.

I hope the Federal Government, the IRS in particular, take action and remove their Tax Except status pronto!
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

The one issue I will never understand or even wrap my head around is when WBC claimed that we were to be blamed for 9/11. To me that is like saying Medusa is to be blamed for my hair to be brown.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #16
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

yes I think they are a hate group.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #17
Rufusboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Partnered

Rufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post

The one issue I will never understand or even wrap my head around is when WBC claimed that we were to be blamed for 9/11. To me that is like saying Medusa is to be blamed for my hair to be brown.
Its that twisted logic at work. According to Phelps and gang, God hates American's tolerance of gays, therefore God is punishing America, therefore 9/11 is God punishing America for tolerating Gays ....I guess America is supposed to lock us up, or declare us illegal or something.
Rufusboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rufusboi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #18
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufusboi View Post
Its that twisted logic at work. According to Phelps and gang, God hates American's tolerance of gays, therefore God is punishing America, therefore 9/11 is God punishing America for tolerating Gays ....I guess America is supposed to lock us up, or declare us illegal or something.

It freaks me out that so many people actually do think we don't even deserve to be alive.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #19
Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
It freaks me out that so many people actually do think we don't even deserve to be alive.
I agree. It freaks me out to consider all the anti-gay laws around the world which result in murder and torture for people who just want to be who they are. This group feels dangerous because they are so overt in their hatred, although I think it's true that the most dangerous people are the ones planning in secret. But, then again, how many more people think it's OK to express this hate openly when this group has made it so acceptable and proven that their freedom of speech will be upheld over the wellbeing and safety of others?
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #20
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I agree. It freaks me out to consider all the anti-gay laws around the world which result in murder and torture for people who just want to be who they are. This group feels dangerous because they are so overt in their hatred, although I think it's true that the most dangerous people are the ones planning in secret. But, then again, how many more people think it's OK to express this hate openly when this group has made it so acceptable and proven that their freedom of speech will be upheld over the wellbeing and safety of others?
I guess until facebook, I kept myself pretty insulated from this sort of thing, now, it is all over the place and I am giving it more thought. It really is scary.

I hope people in general see how hate filled this is, and it backfires.