Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

Old 12-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #261
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I got observed this week, and I think it went fine. I haven't heard back yet. But that's always stressful. A student asked me what "fiscal policy" is and I hemmed and hawed. lol. But I got through the hour.

This week, one was having a bad day and literally howled in my classroom. Not howled crying, but howled like a wolf. Sigh.

Another kid burst into tears because of home problems. Sad. My response initially was, oh no, he'll never get that writing done now. Then I stopped and actually listened. But I feel so impatient about their progress.

On the good side, the kids are enjoying their arts and crafts. *sigh* Seriously though, I can't BELIEVE there was no art curriculum. I don't know "perspective" from moose droppings. So they are making cute things from materials I buy on sale and which my fellow teacher finds in her crafts closet. They are also doing reading assignments on artists and all that. But they do like to do things. So crafts it is. The best thing I got recently was actually a cigar box monster a student made. There is a huge foam mouth around the opening. He went out and bought his own material to cover it -- it's like a fake lizard skin. He used eye buttons. It looks like a real toy. Seriously cute. He came up with that himself. I basically gave him the box and some glue.

Actually the crafts have been going well because I don't have a clue. I hand them the materials and give them a sense of what I might do, and interesting things result.

Maybe they should just teach themselves. There might be less howling.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2012, 03:49 AM   #262
bkisbutchenuff
PPoA - Southern Gentle Butch

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, he, him, handsome, Daddy
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Thanked 10,845 Times in 2,247 Posts
bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Had a good evaluation last week.
11 Days until break....I can't wait....rehearsal went well yesterday...the sounds of the holidays are distinguishable. We have been working hard!
I have 10 students auditioning for the County Honor Orchestra this weekend.
Almost 2 good weeks....I couldn't be happier - all things considered.
I hope everyone is hanging in there as the holiday break approaches...

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
bkisbutchenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #263
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #264
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

10 Days....We can do this. The year will be half over... all things considered, its gone by pretty quickly and seems to have gotten better recently.

This week - busy, busy, busy....Holiday Concert Thursday Night and more auditions Saturday...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #265
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,354 Times in 2,670 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

OH MY GOD. I don't want to go to work today.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #266
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancie View Post
Let's hold hands and go in together Chancie! I don't want to go either.

BK said only so many days until the holiday break and I still am not sure I am going to make it. Okay, I'll make it. I do each year.

I am spending too much time giving "required tests" and not enough time "teaching". When the testing/teaching balance gets out of whack I get a wee bit cranky. The vice principal was also condescending (telling me to not worry my pretty little head) and blatantly outrageous (and not to worry about accommodating students on the tests so much as the kids I am accommodating are the only ones with scores that show their true skill level. Well lady we use the scores for instructional planning and to judge our effectiveness). So I am not looking forward to interacting with her this week.

Again.... one day at a time. I will tell myself this. One day at a time.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #267
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzerJ View Post
Let's hold hands and go in together Chancie! I don't want to go either.

BK said only so many days until the holiday break and I still am not sure I am going to make it. Okay, I'll make it. I do each year.

I am spending too much time giving "required tests" and not enough time "teaching". When the testing/teaching balance gets out of whack I get a wee bit cranky. The vice principal was also condescending (telling me to not worry my pretty little head) and blatantly outrageous (and not to worry about accommodating students on the tests so much as the kids I am accommodating are the only ones with scores that show their true skill level. Well lady we use the scores for instructional planning and to judge our effectiveness). So I am not looking forward to interacting with her this week.

Again.... one day at a time. I will tell myself this. One day at a time.
Testing demands are rediculous....its all about teaching to the test in 2012! Yes - one day at a time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #268
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancie View Post
Girrrrl - I'm with you! But its another day closer to some time away!!!! Hang in there!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #269
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

Teaching to the test? Why not just give the kids the answers? I know it's not you folks fault. But it's so damn old-fashioned!

I have a face ... just got a text from my (soon to be ex) district officer for Primary School English asking myself and my other two colleagues who are in her district, for our teachers' hours. Can you hear the HELL NO from where you are sitting? A) school was out Nov 9th and B) we're not Malaysian teachers and C) I'm probably almost the only one of my colleagues still in the country!

And yeah, I soooooo want (NOT) to bend over backwards for this woman after she led our project manager to believe that my teachers were complaining about me left right and centre. Whereas, what she was talking about was from the beginning of the year from one particular school with weak and unmotivated teachers. And then, the stupid project manager took that on board as gospel (because the district officer MUST be right of course) and I was forced to relocate or quit. And if I didn't relocate (after grovelling and whimpering I've been a bad bad bad girl and licking his arse), the project manager (British by the way) would make sure he had enough evidence to fire my arse.

Sorry. My blood is boiling.

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #270
MarquisdeShey

How Do You Identify?:
bent
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her/They
Relationship Status:
Minding my own business.

Thanked 4,726 Times in 921 Posts
MarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST ReputationMarquisdeShey Has the BEST Reputation

Oh my goodness! So many queers teachers Yay!!!!

Just wanted to say... I am so proud of all of you. Just remember 8 days till break! If the kiddos are counting... so, am I!!
MarquisdeShey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MarquisdeShey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #271
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Field trip today. A museum visit, an IMAX movie, and a burger. It cost my colleague and I a bit, but I do think most of them enjoyed it. Then she and I had to go to a staff meeting.

I am pretty depressed. I think I am doing an OK job teaching, but I am caring less. It's depression.

If you have read the gun control thread, you know that one of my students was shot and killed just over a week ago.

My knee is killing me (arthritis). It was hard to function today at the museum, actually.

The trip was my idea. I set it up, did the paperwork, etc. But today, with my knee inflamed and my mood low, my colleague helped keep things running smoothly, for which I am grateful. I almost didn't have the energy to do what I needed to do.

After the staff meeting, I stayed and helped her write an IEP -- basically helped her use the web-based program we write them on.

The thing about this kind of sadness is that even if I don't care much, I still know what I should do and I can go through the motions.

Hopefully that will be enough until I start feeling things more again.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 AM   #272
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

My job is a new one. I was supposed to have my post-first observation chat today, but my Asst Principal begged off till Friday. She did say that they were under no scheduling timeline with me and did a *wink wink,* which means that as far as they are concerned, I am someone they want to stay on. They still have time to change their minds, but so far, I am up to snuff. That's nice. Much better than not being.

But I had surprisingly little reaction to it. In part cause I am not surprised, but in part cause I just don't care. The truth is I like the job, and don't want to job hunt again this summer. So it's truly a good thing. I am just not feeling it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2012, 03:47 AM   #273
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

I get the feeling that we are all ready for the break....While this has been an extremely challenging year for me, I see that's the case with many here...I have too many years invested to leave the profession - but how are they going to attract good - young - highly qualified educators into this field? The one career that affects our future in every way.....SAD!
Had another cut this week - a position I've had for years...it wasn't much of a supplement - but was compensation for a roll that takes several hours of my time every month. I have a feeling - they will find funding once they see the communication break down...
Today is concert day...they sounded pretty good yesterday...we will survive - but just not where we should be....
For general music - was told Tues. I would have the same folks I had the first weeks again after the holidays...not good! Besides the discipline issues they are inviting - I developed a 9 week curriculum - not an 18 week curriculum.
I will stop here - I could go on and on....

I am awake - the day has started -

6MORE DAYS...

Bring on the break!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #274
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Yes this teacher is ready for the break.

Yesterday I listened to the assistant principal, in a sped meeting, with an advocate say sure we'd do something that is painstakingly impossible to do any other time. She agreed to the request that we entirely remove a student from the core grade level math program. Ha! I love it. First it is a fabulous idea (the core math program is hellishly awful). 2nd I would love to directly teach math to students. In class support is awesome and not for everyone. It does have scheduling ramifications through the roof so she now recommends (at my request) a team meeting again next week to hem and haw about it. Which I've almost decided is fine. I'll ask the questions, write down the answer, date the answer and when it changes I'll do the change and remind we could have prevented the problem. Because as she says don't worry my pretty little head about it....

And to top it all off... the staff meeting. About restructuring because we didn't pass the test so many years in a row. Wow NH is really lenient with schools about the process. So easy going. The principal says because we aren't one of "those" city schools we really don't need restructuring. We just have to go through the motions. "The process is really for those other schools with multiple languages spoken and poor parents who aren't involved. Besides it is just our special education students not passing the test." Ummm.... okay so our students speak English as a native language and we still have huge numbers of students with communication disorders so we do have language issues that require us to examine our instructional practices. And we are a title one school so technically we have those "poor parents" and kids with needs.

I've seen what is under the rug.... I know I'm supposed to just look at the pretty rug.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #275
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

I'm beyond ready for the break.

I can't seem to sleep enough no matter what time I crash! On Wednesday, I slept from 7-midnight and then back again after a bit of online time. Yesterday, I was out early too.

I'm trying to finish marking 2 different essays per student before the break, so I won't have them hanging over my head. This is only one class. I am not even worrying about catching up on the marking from the other two until post-break.

Hang in there everyone!
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #276
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

I just worry about the students. I know it's worse lately. I am not worrying about their safety though, but about what is going to happen to them when they graduate, their futures. I don't feel like I have enough time to make enough of a difference. They are going to be heading out into the world so ill-equipped. We so fail SDC students. They do not get the support and protection that ID (mentally retarded) students get, and most can't make good use of the opportunities available to RSP and Gen Ed students. They seem destined, so many of them, for poverty, exploitation, and incarceration. I enjoy working with these students. But given how globally they have been failed before they get to us at the end of their high school years, can we do them enough good to make a significant difference?

My students aren't, most of them, dropping out. But does it make a difference if they can't do an online job application?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #277
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

I'm upright and having coffee....quite tired. I should have taken a day off today...but - I can see the light....one more week.
Despite all the obstacles this year, my students did a great job last night....they truly presented themselves in a professional manner...demonstrated, without data, why the arts are important.
48 middle school students focused, in uniform, working as a unit.....thats what im talking about! Also - the largest turn out for a PTSA meeting the school has seen in the last few years....
Guest speaker - a board member - her main message - more budget cuts are coming....that is plain scary!
Moving forward ...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #278
txdoc
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Wrangled

txdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputation

Connecticut...incredibly frightening. Prayers for everyone there.
txdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to txdoc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #279
Galahad

How Do You Identify?:
do I have to?
Relationship Status:
single

Galahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST ReputationGalahad Has the BEST Reputation

Martina, check out abilitycounts.org. It isn't enough, but it's a start for at least some of the students in our town. Every school district should have something like this. One teacher started all of it.
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Galahad For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #280
txdoc
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Wrangled

txdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputationtxdoc Has the BEST Reputation
Default Transition for students with ID

http://www2.ed.gov/programs/tpsid/index.html
txdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to txdoc For This Useful Post:

Tags
careers, educators, gltb, network