Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Careers, Work, Business

Old 08-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #101
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancie View Post
I was happy to read both of your posts.

I hope some other teachers will share their experiences too.

Today was my first day with ninth graders.

I planned a nice hands on activity

And I learned a lot about where my students are at.

Don't worry. We administer plenty of norm referenced tests, but

For me, nothing beats checking in while we work.

Seniors start tomorrow, and

Because of a whole series of beaurocratic snafus,

I don't know who will be in my robotics class.
Agreed! Checking in while we work or real time assessment is so wonderful.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #102
Mrs Arcstriker
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her, she...female ones...
Relationship Status:
married to Arcstriker

Mrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST Reputation

I've been an educator for over 12 years and I have a hard time saying that because I am really just a nurse and not a teacher. I teach adult-ed at a local community college and I run the largest nurse-aide training program in the state of ct community college system.

Because I am not trained to teach and I only hold a bachelor's degree in nursing I feel overshadowed by the professional teachers and profs around me.

Taking this into consideration, my outness in the community college system is mostly insidious. Of course I am out to my collegues and to the community at large. The big reveal is always when my lecture style turns personal. Because nursing encompasses all things social and family, there always comes a time when my status as a woman married to a "woman" comes into play. I start half a dozen of my own classes each year and I oversee another 18+...and every time that first casual discussion comes up I hold my breath and hope my class doesn't leave for a bathroom break and not come back.

My internalized fear is always unfounded and I've always had nothing but support. The only awkward issue is that almost always there is a person who must "come out" to me and tell me about their gay/les/bi experience. This is usually a married person who must tell me of their one drunken same-sex experience and I never know how to respond to that. The openly GLBT people in my class never need to share with me, but there are the outlyers that I cannot peg. Does this ever happen to any of you?
Mrs Arcstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Arcstriker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #103
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I had a "where is the wine" day today. A very anxious mom projected a lot of anxiety into me. She wasn't angry. Anyway, whew. My eye was practically twitching when she left. It's amazing how much anxiety people can transfer onto others.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #104
bkisbutchenuff
PPoA - Southern Gentle Butch

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, he, him, handsome, Daddy
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Thanked 10,845 Times in 2,247 Posts
bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Best news I've gotten in a LONG time....!!!!Superintendent resigned - effective Sept. 30!!!! A-Hole go away!!!!

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
bkisbutchenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #105
RNguy

How Do You Identify?:
trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He preferredably :)
Relationship Status:
the pitbull <€

Thanked 2,267 Times in 510 Posts
RNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST ReputationRNguy Has the BEST Reputation
Default :)

Yayyyyy for teachers !!!!!! Much respect for you all and thank you for all you do .
When I was in the 6th grade , I had a teacher who told me I would never amount to anything and I was stupid.
She had a massive stroke a couple years ago and who was her nurse ????
me , her stupid student who wouldn't amount to anything Haha.
RNguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RNguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #106
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Day 2 was much better. Cooler weather and cooler heads all around. Administration stepped up and was clear. This will be fun... I am going to relax and let the process work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #107
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

bkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputationbkisbutchenuff Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNguy View Post
Yayyyyy for teachers !!!!!! Much respect for you all and thank you for all you do .
When I was in the 6th grade , I had a teacher who told me I would never amount to anything and I was stupid.
She had a massive stroke a couple years ago and who was her nurse ????
me , her stupid student who wouldn't amount to anything Haha.
WTG RNguy! I'm always careful what I say...you never know what kind of impact it will have on them...of course, I spent the first 20 yrs growing up being told I would never be anything...well...I beg to differ...and when my Dad was sick...who did he have to rely on - who was his care taker?...'Ms. You'll never amount to anything'...

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Randy Pausch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #108
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

My caseload is growing, and I am having more typical real teaching problems. I wish there were the resources to lift these kids OUT of their worlds and show them the big beautiful terrifying world beyond for just a second so they'd know what is out there for them, if they want it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #109
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

ACLU talking points on Schools as a pipeline to prisin

http://www.aclu.org/racial-justice/s...talking-points
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #110
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

What a week...some better - but still a mess. I guess the difference between last week and this week - self resolution....I will do what I can, with what I have, as I can....everyone is now aware of the ridiculous conditions - still no chairs, Gen. music resources and MINIMUM playing time for the orchestra students, etc. .... I'm at 188 students yesterday - but growing. My admin. has made it clear that all they want is me to hold the fort down and see what happens as a result of the Super.'s resignation....
Yesterday - we lost 4 more teachers including one who is a bff of mine. She was promoted to a county facilitator and the others were placed in different schools...the man (a-hole) who created all this resigns...I was so happy to hear that and have felt it was coming...Now - if our board will not spend millions doing a search and choose someone locally who has a vested interest in our district and what's truly best for the students - we may actually salvage something good this year....either way - I still have my plan....

on a lighter note:

Hang in there...almost TGIF!!!!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #111
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,354 Times in 2,670 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

I survived the first week!

I have two ninth grade classes and one senior class.

On the alternating weeks, I have three tenth grade classes.

A lot of those kids have been stopping by to say 'hey', and

That feels really good.

Everything has gone smoothly except for some glitches with ordering materials.

I did have to order 20 practice solder kits with my own credit card, but

I know I will get reimbursed.

I have a three day weekend and Pete didn't have to work today.

I sat in a cafe to get some grading done while my faithful Pete shopped at the coop.

Right now, I am really happy to be the teacher I am.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #112
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

Not that all teachers are Miss or Ms

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #113
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

A dating site I am on sent me a few possibilities via email. I always look at them even though I am not looking to date right now.

ANYWAY, this one woman seemed way cool until I saw that she was a retired Special Education administrator. LOL. Not in this lifetime. I know some wonderful people who are or were administrators. But there ain't no red flag like that one as far as I am concerned.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2012, 02:17 AM   #114
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

I so enjoyed this three day weekend...back to the masses today...I'm stilling putting trust and faith in the powers that be, to follow through with their promises of assistance in the mess they created....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #115
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkisbutchenuff View Post
I so enjoyed this three day weekend...back to the masses today...I'm stilling putting trust and faith in the powers that be, to follow through with their promises of assistance in the mess they created....
Good luck!

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2012, 03:40 AM   #116
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

First day back

Cheers to my fellow educators!
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #117
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon View Post
First day back

Have a great day! Best wishes!

The Following User Says Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2012, 04:00 AM   #118
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon View Post
First day back

Have a fabulous 1st day Soon! Hugs and beverage of your choice!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2012, 04:02 AM   #119
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Week 2 is 4 days long. We add making our own lunches to the daily back to school routine! I spent lots of my weekend organizing for work. I need to make my schedule but waiting on some feedback from teachers. Time to start getting baseline assessments on kids and their goals. Yee haw! We will make goal setting fun this year!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2012, 04:07 AM   #120
bkisbutchenuff

How Do You Identify?:
BOI/Butch/Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single. 😉

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzerJ View Post
Week 2 is 4 days long. We add making our own lunches to the daily back to school routine! I spent lots of my weekend organizing for work. I need to make my schedule but waiting on some feedback from teachers. Time to start getting baseline assessments on kids and their goals. Yee haw! We will make goal setting fun this year!
Hope you have a great week!

The Following User Says Thank You to bkisbutchenuff For This Useful Post:

Tags
careers, educators, gltb, network