Old 01-17-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,354 Times in 2,670 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation
Default What are your professional goals?

What have you set out to accomplish?

How will you know when you have been successful?
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

I knew I was successful the day I walked away from a prolific career.
My health, well-being, and peace of mind was more important.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,354 Times in 2,670 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

I am thinking of this thread as a place to share professional goals and successes.

My goals, which I hope to accomplish by the time I turn 50 in May
  1. To earn a CAGS in Math, Science and Learning Technologies
  2. To begin a viable robotics program at the public high school where I teach math
  3. To complete the requirements for my professional license
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

My professional goals:

1. Get my company's highest certification (means doing full paper and defense of that paper)
2. Write at least one technical book.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
moxie

How Do You Identify?:
a cynical princess wannabe
Preferred Pronoun?:
lipgloss junkie
Relationship Status:
yep

Thanked 6,770 Times in 1,847 Posts
moxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputationmoxie Has the BEST Reputation

My goals:
  • To be accepted into National Health Service Corps this fiscal year. I'll be able to work in a Health Professional Shortage Area and be free of my student loans.
  • Get back into working with the clients I enjoy the most.
  • Have my own office again (sounds silly but long story)
  • Always be learning. Once that is gone I will know my passion for my career will be gone and I really don't want that to happen.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
citybutch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to "hey you" (either works for me!)
Relationship Status:
19 years together- Very Married for 10 years

Thanked 1,196 Times in 355 Posts
citybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputation

Professionally I have many goals... but the one that is on top of my list for this year has to do with Charitable Giving. I have worked long and hard for many years in the Non-Profit world.... and I am finally setting up my first Planned Giving Program for a local Non-Profit where I once served on the Board... My goal is to have accomplished this effort for three different Non-Profits in the San Diego area. I love working with charitably minded people... a LOT... and I love doing work for these types of organizations. To be known as one of the top financial planners for small Non-Profits is a goal of mine... and one that is within reach!

Take care of your body, take care of your health... You never know when the walls cave in and it all changes for good.
citybutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to citybutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
turasultana

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
spoken for

turasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputation

oh gawd, just had an hour long "development" meeting last week. we need to submit goals in another month I believe.

I do think if they'll reimburse the cost, I'll get a digital marketing certificate at NYU. Not sure if they'll cover non degree work and since I already have an MBA I think I'm done the official school stuff.
turasultana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to turasultana For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Laerkin

How Do You Identify?:
Girlie with a touch of bossy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, but not hung up on the details
Relationship Status:
Parenting our furry family with SmoothButch

3 Highscores

Laerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST ReputationLaerkin Has the BEST Reputation

Great thread. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone is working on and striving for! I'm always shocked at the huge range of professions and accomplishments.

Personally, I have quite an ambitious list that I'm excited to tackle:

1. Complete my degree (December 2011, baby!) in Business Leadership and Management - hopefully with a 4.0 GPA.

2. Finish the Management Succession Academy that I was selected for at work and move into an upper management position within the next year.

3. Take the GRE and enroll in a Masters program within 2-3 years (hopefully in Communication or Public Policy).

4. Take over the world.
Laerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Laerkin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

I hope to help people thru reflexology at a wonderful clinic and keep the household clean and full of healthy meals, taking care of this wonderful leather family as that is the most meaningful thing in my life right now.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
Isadora

How Do You Identify?:
Momma, Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
I am in love. Truly Madly Deeply

Thanked 2,128 Times in 560 Posts
Isadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST Reputation

Retirement.

Read me! www.leatherati.com
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Isadora For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #11
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

I am currently one of the managers of a domestic violence shelter. I would like to further my career in this field and perhaps branch out to other similar areas.

Currently enrolled in classes to obtain my degrees in human services and in substance abuse counseling. Will hopefully follow it through to the masters level.

One goal/hope is to maybe one day work in the prison system with battered women who have "fought back" and are incarcerated for doing so.

The other goal/hope would be to continue working with abuse survivors within our community.

Oh, and then retire early on a beach somewhere.

dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #12
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:
Dreamily contemplating some outrage against conventional morality

Thanked 4,767 Times in 1,144 Posts
Venus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST Reputation

My goals are the next step in my plan for a master's degree and getting a job teaching that actually pays similarly to what I could make in the health care industry. . .

This year is a busy year . . .
1. Become a certified ICD-10 trainer, scheduled for July
2. Sit for and pass my RHIT, scheduled for June
3. Get a job making beaucoup dough so I can fiance the end of my degrees without student loans, (after 1 and 2)
4. Run ICD-10 training seminars around the US (after 1 and 2)

"So you'll die happily for your sins. You'd rather die in guilt then live in love?" Timothy Leary
Venus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Venus007 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #13
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

I had professional goals for a very long time. Now after aging and maturing and wasting the best working years of my life for a company that has a "boys club" mentality, I need to rethink the rest of my working life which is only 20 more years and set some new goals.

I met most of my professional goals several years before I had intended to. The one goal I didn't achieve, I realize now was because I am "nonpenile". Being penile is an unspoken requirement to achieve supervisor or management status in my company or even in sales. We have no female bodied people in outside sales.

Sooo I'm kicking myself in the ass for wasting so many years of my life being loyal this company. I'd like to go into something in the medical field but either there is a long waiting list and I don't test well on written test anyway or there are no schools close to my hometown that offer what I'm looking for that probably doesn't have a waiting list. So maybe before I'm 50, I'll have made another plan.

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #14
Michi

How Do You Identify?:
MTF Pre-op Bi
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female
Relationship Status:
In a relationship

Michi Has the BEST ReputationMichi Has the BEST ReputationMichi Has the BEST ReputationMichi Has the BEST ReputationMichi Has the BEST ReputationMichi Has the BEST ReputationMichi Has the BEST ReputationMichi Has the BEST ReputationMichi Has the BEST ReputationMichi Has the BEST ReputationMichi Has the BEST Reputation

I am 42 years old. I had a very bad upbringing because of my gender identity and my parents lack of acceptance.. As a result, I was denied a good education to the point of where I dropped out of school because of the stresses at home and because of bullying.. I got my GED in 2000.

This year, I am starting classes to go for an AA degree with a main course of study being on the Japanese language. If I can go to a 4-year college, I will pursue East Asian Studies and Journalism or Mass Communications.

One of my professional goals is to work in Japan which would be a double challenge for me considering that I am over 40 and transgender. There's a lot of discrimination in Japan still, mainly around age and gender but things are getting better.

Good luck to everyone and I hope you all achieve your goals! (*^u^*)/

=m
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Michi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2011, 03:00 AM   #15
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

I went out on Disability in 2005 when it became obvious trying to work was killing me. I was an accountant for years and before that office manager/accounting. Because of injuries to my lower back and discs it was so painful and degenerative. I was accepted on the first round without an attorney and 120 days after submitting my application. Managment experience was extremely helpful in preparing my case and collecting the documentation needed.

I have thought often of doing this for a living and it is legal and very lucrative. But it would require a lot of sit down work, following through with clients and a great deal of stress. So I just gave that up and began working on my artwork which I love.

Great topic!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:40 AM   #16
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
mouthy but adorable; kinky Gerbera
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

What an inspirational thread!

My current professional goals:
* Continue to hone my pedagogy to reach and help diverse student populations
* Publish my dissertation, which is very dear to my heart (about confession and trauma)
* Earn tenure and work in administration
* Balance my professional ambitions with love, health, and happiness

Hold on to the lessons, let go of the pain.
--Leslie Feinberg
daisygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to daisygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #17
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My professional goals have changed as I have aged (whose haven't)...I actually did all of the being in charge of everything that I ever wanted to do, and now I would settle for playing Blackjack professionally for the rest of my life.

A girl can dream....
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #18
adorable

How Do You Identify?:
Sarcastically
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,645 Times in 590 Posts
adorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputation

It's interesting that you asked this question because I've been thinking about this a great deal lately. I thought I was settled, although I did want to own my own business eventually. Then out of nowhere I applied to graduate school this week. I might not get accepted, but I decided that after being in business management for over 10 years that it's time for a change. I would like to work as a LMSW for a maximum security prison or at a VA hospital working with people that suffer from post traumatic stress disorder. The money won't be as good, but I think the work would be more satisfying.
adorable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to adorable For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
I met most of my professional goals several years before I had intended to. The one goal I didn't achieve, I realize now was because I am "nonpenile". Being penile is an unspoken requirement to achieve supervisor or management status in my company or even in sales. We have no female bodied people in outside sales.
I hear you on this...I can remember sitting at breakfast with my best friend and saying "If I'm ever going to get beyond where I am now...I either have to grow a penis, or get my Masters degree."

I chose going back to school.

Seriously, I have achieved many of my goals. I got my MBA and have a wonderful job that lets me work from home and have great flexibility in my life.

I'm enjoying project management work tremendously (it lets me use my pushy side to great advantage), and will be working on getting my professional certification in that field as well...especially since my company will provide the course work for free.

Other than that, I have always wanted to publish...and possibly teach...and that's next on my list.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #20
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

-Finish my second BA

-Masters

-Phd

-Open my own gym, or at least enter a position at a more welcoming gym that would allow me to focus on training/providing an athletic/physical outlet for LGBT youth. Gyms are not always the most welcoming places for those who don't fit the norm, and fitness is so important in our age that I'd honestly like to provide a more welcoming physical space.

-Find a way to balance my love for academics, physical culture and incessant, sporadic travel
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post: