Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

View Poll Results: Educate a child on belonging to an organization that discrimates--Would you?
Not ordinarily. 12 34.29%
Maybe. (Please elaborate.) 2 5.71%
Yes, explain to him and his mother why I won't participate. 8 22.86%
Yes, explain to the child directly why I won't participate. 5 14.29%
Ask permission from his mother to talk to him about the issue. 2 5.71%
Take my issue to the grocery store since he's on their property. 1 2.86%
Ignore the entire situation. 2 5.71%
Tell only the mother why I won't participate. 6 17.14%
Include the rights of Atheists in the discussion. 1 2.86%
It's inappropriate to talk to the child about politics. 11 31.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #21
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Angel * Femme * Lesbian * Girl * Woman * Slut * Bitch *
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No longer a Virgin Bride to Dreamer ~ May 17th, 2014

Thanked 18,160 Times in 3,633 Posts
Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapu View Post
I'm sorry, I don't get the difference. Taking a Silence + Death stance would mean confronting the parent, right?
First of all.
It is SILENCE = DEATH
If I keep my mouth shut - Then I am supporting discrimination. Ignorance breeds Hate - Hate breeds Death. I believe this.

I believe there is a difference between confronting and discussing.
I have given my reasons to both parents of the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts as to why I will not financially support their organization.

I have never been met with anger or rudeness. Most often, I have been met with surprise and sadness.

It is an awakening for the ignorant.

Julie

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4d9fb6c0.jpg

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #22
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Silence = Death, Julie? To a Boy Scout and his mother selling candy? Really?
Silence is agreement, it's support.

I also understand what silence means, which is of course why I feel a bit compelled to open up a dialogue about how their club effects real people.

It really doesn't matter how you remove yourself from the organization--It's still Boy Scouts of America until you make it different it stays the same (discriminatory)--You could be ousted with one phone call to the association.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #23
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

He's a super cute kid, let's bring him home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Your poll has loop holes.

I responded multiple times to the poll because sometimes I do ignore...sometimes I might say something to the kid or the mom or both. It depends on the age of the kid and my mood. I've seen the BS people at the grocery store for the last week or so and on Sunday the kid came over to me and screamed "STEELERS" as he noticed I was dressed in my Sunday best. He didn't ask me if I wanted to buy anything, he just high fived me, so that was that.

I definitely don't buy things from the boy scouts because of their discrimination policies. But I'm less likely to converse about why with the kid or the mom as to why.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
First of all.
It is SILENCE = DEATH
If I keep my mouth shut - Then I am supporting discrimination. Ignorance breeds Hate - Hate breeds Death. I believe this.

I believe there is a difference between confronting and discussing.
I have given my reasons to both parents of the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts as to why I will not financially support their organization.

I have never been met with anger or rudeness. Most often, I have been met with surprise and sadness.

It is an awakening for the ignorant.

Julie
I'm sorry, I hit the caps key. I have corrected my error.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #25
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apretty View Post

It really doesn't matter how you remove yourself from the organization--It's still Boy Scouts of America until you make it different it stays the same (discriminatory)--You could be ousted with one phone call to the association.

Oh, boy, would they have their hands full then! I could really make a difference.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #26
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Oh, boy, would they have their hands full then! I could really make a difference.
Maybe you can or already are making a difference now.
You are apparently an OUT Scout Parent.
Your troop is obviously not adhering to the rules and guidelines.

Were you aware of their stance on homosexuality?

Julie

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #27
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs down Yeah Boy Scouts

"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #28
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Maybe you can or already are making a difference now.
You are apparently an OUT Scout Parent.
Your troop is obviously not adhering to the rules and guidelines.

Were you aware of their stance on homosexuality?

Julie

Yes, we talked to the Scout Master at length, working out the understanding I detailed above re troop level vs. national level. As he pointed out, national level is controlled by LDS. There are lots of things to disagree with there--and lots of differences between that and troop level (e.g., no god assumed at troop level).

To change what you don't agree with, sure, start by talking to the Boy Scout at the supermarket--but then write to BSA Council. Silence = Death.

Meanwhile, I'll work from within. You can bet that those scouts (and their parents) in our troop had a friendly, caring, accepting face to attach to "lesbian" after I was their counselor for a week. And woe to the person who tries to get the tapu out.

Last edited by tapu; 09-27-2011 at 11:36 AM.
tapu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tapu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #29
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I get how the Boy Scouts are discriminatory, but I thought the Girl Scouts were completely separate?
Old 09-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #30
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,354 Times in 2,670 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

I posted last year about being invited to a student's Eagle Scout ceremony.

I was incredibly flattered and moved to be invited, but

I ultimately chose not to attend because of the Boy Scouts' discriminatory policy and practices.

I do know that there are some troops that have distanced themselves from BSA, and that is incredibly brave.

I don't donate to United Way, because they give money to Scouts and I have no way of knowing where the money is going.

To answer the question, I would not sign the petition but

I would not explain why unless the child asked, and then I would explain in child appropriate language.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #31
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancie View Post
I posted last year about being invited to a student's Eagle Scout ceremony.

I was incredibly flattered and moved to be invited, but

I ultimately chose not to attend because of the Boy Scouts' discriminatory policy and practices.

I do know that there are some troops that have distanced themselves from BSA, and that is incredibly brave.

I don't donate to United Way, because they give money to Scouts and I have no way of knowing where the money is going.

To answer the question, I would not sign the petition but

I would not explain why unless the child asked, and then I would explain in child appropriate language.
OHhhhhhhhhhhh i remember that Chancie. I do. I do. Time flies.

I was a boyscout leader as well. True story. But that was eons ago and i was in a heterosexual relationship and was living the "straight life" with all the straight life privileges. So i didn't even think about it at the time. My ex husband was an eagle and we were very involved in the local group.

Now my kids are all grown. Was so so long ago. It would certainly be a different/difficult situation with my current way of life. My heart is out to you Tapu and all that you are doing for the kids. It is not an easy job. But, rewarding. I'm happy that you are able to be out and not feel threatened.

Rock on!!!
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #32
SecretAgentMa'am

How Do You Identify?:
Redheaded Bellydancing Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very married

SecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST ReputationSecretAgentMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I get how the Boy Scouts are discriminatory, but I thought the Girl Scouts were completely separate?
They are. I tried googling. The only anti-Girl Scout websites I can find are written by right-wing nutjobs claiming that you should keep your little girls far away from the Girl Scouts because they teach girls witchcraft and encourage them to have abortions or some such nonsense. I'm entirely unaware of any reason to boycott them. I think the Girl Scouts are a fabulous organization.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SecretAgentMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #33
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

I was not aware Girl Scouts changed their view on Gay/Lesbians being scout leaders. When my kids were young - It was not "allowed," to have a Gay or Lesbian parent being a scout leader. I know this for a fact, as a good friend of mine wanted to be a scout leader in her child's group and it was against GSA policy - Back in the 90's.

It's good they have progressed.

edited... it's interesting - their GSA (GSUSA) Policy has always had anti-discriminatory basis. I was not aware. However, from what I have read... Much depends on the local chapter and the national level stays out of it - I imagine, it is a case by case situation. I also read in 1999 where a little girl was denied by 7 troops acceptance, as she was HIV positive. 2011 - I hope things have changed.

Perhaps, I can buy my cookies after all.

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014

Last edited by Julie; 09-27-2011 at 08:57 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post: