Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 02-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default Walmart: Evil or no?

I've been mulling this topic around in my head for a while now. This news article caught my eye and it reminded me that this could very well mean the end of the road for some good brands. It's this kind of behaviour that annoys me about WalMart. While I recognize that it's a boon for those with very tight budgets, I wonder if, in the end, it could do far more harm (WalMart and other similar big-box stores often kill off small, family run businesses thus moving the work force from FT work to PT, without benefits work).

So is WalMart as evil as I think or am I misguided?

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
key

How Do You Identify?:
androgynous, gender-queer, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
depends on person addressing me
Relationship Status:
merrily single hopefully married one day

key Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default you are correct Walmart is evil

Plain and simple, Walmart (as it has been since Sam Walton's kids took control) is in fact evil. Did you know when Sam Walton started the business part of his mission was to sell products Made in America. Now, I call it MaoMart.

Low low wages (and low to no benefits) are what keeps their prices low. Not to mention the communist/slave labor that made the products they sell. I will go well out of my way, and spend more money (and I do not have any extra money) to NOT shop there.

As a small business owner myself, I am fully aware of all the tax breaks they get to ruin communities and I refuse to support that.

I think Walmart is a symptom of a larger problem in the US. It would take a long post to go into the problems that I think Walmart is the symptom of, but I will suffice to say, the solution is for us to simply care more about our neighbors, community, each other and less about our personal bottom lines.
key is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to key For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I vote Evil
Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Gentleman.. Depends on the Situation.
Relationship Status:
Last Rodeo, what a ride, many sunrises & sunsets to be had...

Thanked 5,470 Times in 1,450 Posts
Blaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Wow, interesting thread, Linus.
I. For one, have always had a problem with the Walmart chain. Coming from an Island at the time it became popular there, I have seen so many Mom & Pop stores have to close there doors. Many of them, to which I loved and supported. These little stores, always had things that you could never find in big commerical stores. They were geared at helping the local economy and people who had beautiful items to sell.
Now mind you, I am not, and I repeat not a "name brand person". But I do have my favorites when it comes to house hold items. Brawny, Hefty, rubbermaid, charmin, and a few more.
When times are hard, I buy the generic brands, but I am always complaining about how cheap they are and revert back to buying my favorite brands.
There are some generic brands that are just as good, some even better, I. must say. But once again, the selling of cheaper versus name brands always gets my blood boiling. I would rather pay for the name brand, and not worry about my trash dripping from the house to the front yard, then get 50 extra generic brands that I have to practically use 3 so it won't break. And to see the Mom and Pop stores close here in Texas is even heart breaking. I go to these stores because I try to support them also. I have seen little barber shops close because they cannot compete with the major chains, the major chains don't bother to know how your family is, if you got a job promotion or even want to know about how your cat is doing. ~shakes head~ I will have to say that Walmart is EVIL!
I have so much more to say, but right now. Im mad.
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
Mitmo01

How Do You Identify?:
Disobedient Thing...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Rebel Soul in the blood..Heathen as well
Relationship Status:
Marked and Loved....I Belong to Her....

Thanked 1,354 Times in 579 Posts
Mitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST Reputation

I hate the fact that I do shop there. I am poor and i can afford to shop at walmart. My preferred store which is Whole Foods is outside of my affordability most of the time but I do try to shop there when i can....I do not like Walmart but when it comes down to choices I am limited on what I can afford...
Mitmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitmo01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My daughter's Father works at Wally World, and has since 1992. He is full-time, has Medical (for my daughter as well), dental and profit sharing. Since he had his pace maker (he is 49 years old) implanted, he has been unable to return to the heavier lifting and assembly type work he did for them. So, they CREATED another greeter position for him and he is able to be employed at the same hours and pay he received before.

He and his 10% discount have saved his and my family major money over the years. Walmart out to make a profit yep....Walmart evil? Well, I guess it depends on who is telling the story.

My totally biased 2 cents
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushingfemme View Post
My daughter's Father works at Wally World, and has since 1992. He is full-time, has Medical (for my daughter as well), dental and profit sharing. Since he had his pace maker (he is 49 years old) implanted, he has been unable to return to the heavier lifting and assembly type work he did for them. So, they CREATED another greeter position for him and he is able to be employed at the same hours and pay he received before.

He and his 10% discount have saved his and my family major money over the years. Walmart out to make a profit yep....Walmart evil? Well, I guess it depends on who is telling the story.

It's rare that I hear of this kind of scenario but good for him. I'm surprised he's not in a manager's position however given how long he's been with them.

I have no problem with a company making a profit (I do work for one that does so and does so well but 95% of my company's workforce gets paid well with full benefits and profit sharing). But I wonder, given how long he's been with the company, if he's the exception rather than the rule (from an employees point of view). Additionally, the forcing of other companies to reduce their price down to well below cost (WalMart has done this) has a side effect with other companies and forcing them to move jobs out of the US, etc.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
Rufusboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Partnered

Rufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST Reputation

I would say not evil and for a lot of reasons. Perfect, no? Good jobs, possibly not, but it depends. I know they have a reputation for not promoting women to upper management. But so do a lot of businesses. This isn't limited to Wally World....its about entrenched sex discrimination in this country. I worked briefly for wal mart a few years ago. I also heard they had a reputation for not hiring or keeping gay people. Well, hell, that Wal mart was full of us. And I'm butch as hell and no one cared.

What I noticed that people who worked were rewarded. They were desperate for people to work. Far too many employees hide and try to get out of working. The worker turn over is huge. Stores are so big that employees are often on the honor system. And many take advantage and hide or take extra long breaks. I worked with a guy stocking who could not read. He was a hell of a worker. He will have a job for life at that store. He stocked by matching colors and pictures.

So yes, I hear all the good and bad. But I think you have to keep all the pros and cons in mind when talking about Wal mart. It isn't all evil and it isn't all perfect. Do I shop at Wal-Mart, yes I do. Is it full of cheap plastic junk from China, yes it is. You have to pick and choose what you buy. Are other stores full of cheap junk from China. Yes they are! I think Wal mart gets the most criticism because it is so big and so visible, but I think all these other box stores are doing the exact same thing as Wal mart but don't get the criticism. Don't tell me that Target and K Mart are doing anything different because I don't think they are.

Rufus`
Rufusboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rufusboi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
It's rare that I hear of this kind of scenario but good for him. I'm surprised he's not in a manager's position however given how long he's been with them.

I have no problem with a company making a profit (I do work for one that does so and does so well but 95% of my company's workforce gets paid well with full benefits and profit sharing). But I wonder, given how long he's been with the company, if he's the exception rather than the rule (from an employees point of view). Additionally, the forcing of other companies to reduce their price down to well below cost (WalMart has done this) has a side effect with other companies and forcing them to move jobs out of the US, etc.
No, just a regular ol' grunt. He has some disabilities...oh yeah, Wal-mart hires the disabled...let's hold that against them too. After all, if they didn't hire the older, disabled, teens, etc...that have a hard time getting ANY kind of job, then the fully capable adults that have gone to school to make something better of themselves would have a job that paid well and had huge benefits. Ummm not. Oh and his wife (who is an idiot but not disabled..LOL) also works for Wal-mart, and has the same benefits. Between the two of them they make less per year than I do...that is very sad, but all they are capable of earning.

Walmart serves a purpose to those that work there and those that shop there. Don't like their policies? Easy to see what you should do...don't save money, and get an education. Simplistic?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

This is a sensitive topic for me because they are getting ready to close Harris Teeter, a local chain and the only store that carries a lot of organic and specialty foods. If I am not growing I have to drive an hour to purchase organic foods.

Two years ago another store closed. Now Sam's Club pops up (owned by walmart) and slowly but surely everything else begins to close.

For years we have watched Walmart penetrate local markets and extinguish small businesses which BTW hurts the local economy YOU LIVE IN. It affects farming, the growth of organic and local production. Most of the products are produced from foods grown overseas. Not in the US because it would be impossible to offer those prices and availability if it wasn't.

Organic food has come down in price, however years ago if I had the option of buying something organic over non-organic I would spend the extra money not only because its more healthy but to support the market. Many people felt this way and as you can see supply and demand begins to even out. If you keep track of agriculture and the struggles with organic farming right now you'll see large pharmaceutical companies, many that own other large companies including Kraft, etc. are somehow affecting the regulatory processes of organic farming. Ultimately making it more difficult to get certified which means more market for the larger companies that purchase from overseas. It might say organic but do you really know what these overseas farms are doing?

damn getting on a rant... lol- the bottom line is that YES it is evil in every sense of the word. I am guilty for buying Sam's Club but I also grow a lot of my own food and make a point to support local stores and businesses. I wish the hell I didnt have to go to Sam's to buy organic spinach because my local store doesnt have it BUT IF people began support these local businesses the demand would make sure they had it. In my area I might be fighting a losing battle mainly because the consciousness just isn't here and this happens in some areas. The first of the month when everyone gets their government checks you'll see Walmart's lot packed full and carts full of processed foods, junk food and walmart house brands.

Obviously the problem is much more diversified and the cure of many problems won't happen over night.

You can change so many things buy supporting local farms. www.localharvest.org - if money is tight consider buying less. God knows some of us could be more frugal and purchase a little less. Simply by supporting local agricultural you will create such change that it will literally affect so many things in our country. If you must buy from Walmart at least support organic's and buy what you can organic and local- USA. Encourage others to do as well.

It is grassroots efforts that make the most impact. Instead of accepting the situation be even a small part of the change.

lol- sorryI could go on and on but bad sinus here and trying to work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Evil, would be a matter of opinion I guess... but affordable? yes.

We shop there for some items - but we also shop various places to get the most out of our money. The times unfortunately call for it, and we're just frugal that way. Sure they sell cheap crap, but so do other stores.

I certainly don't agree with their employment policies, but then again, people ARE working there. The benefit issue isn't limited to Walmart - most retail stores purposely schedule their employees for less hours - or they increase the 'minimum' hours - so they don't have to pay for their insurance (usually management positions get the insurance). Inconceivable to think when you know they are multi-million or billion dollar stores - but it's widespread. Grocery stores do the same thing - they make it difficult for their workers to obtain insurance unless you work a ridiculous amount of hours every week.

Maybe the whole retail system is evil. I certainly know it isn't fair.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

I suggest that you watch the documentary on Walmart. I think it's called The High Price of Low Cost, something like that. Walmart for the most part does NOT treat their employees well, and most definitely does NOT in their over seas manufacturing plants. This documentary will definitely enlighten you. For instance they provide really poor housing for their workers, but if a worker chooses not to live there they're still docked for costs associated with living in Walmarts piss poor housing.

I think the thing that makes me vote EVIL, is that they (the family) has more money than they could possibly EVER spend or need, yet they have had to be pressured into providing some basic things, such as providing parking lot security, etc. Of course not until people have been maimed, raped, even killed.

They also kill small business in many, many towns, and have been run out of some towns or denied access to building/opening in them. I know in my town Walmart was not allowed to build one of their super stores, you know the ones with a grocery store as well.

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
T D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to T D For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushingfemme View Post

Yes obviously they can afford to take on the liabilities, pay for the insurances, etc. They have huge buying power.

Part of me wonders if the world is moving more towards this monopoly concepts and if so its really sad because so many deeper levels are effected.

I'm not sure I can get into all that today. Maybe this weekend tho. Just let me leave you with this little thought...

You're children scream for fast food, you give it to them because they enjoy it. They become adults and a whole host of healthy problems arise. They have never been to a farm or seen how food is grown or processed. They become depressed human beings because of the additives and chemicals in the food they eat and no connection with the earth.

Now when Walmart has a its shelves filled with recycled products, organic and local foods, recycle area, and offers all of this at a low price? well thats a whole other story.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Gentleman.. Depends on the Situation.
Relationship Status:
Last Rodeo, what a ride, many sunrises & sunsets to be had...

Thanked 5,470 Times in 1,450 Posts
Blaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Walmart serves a purpose to those that work there and those that shop there. Don't like their policies? Easy to see what you should do...don't save money, and get an education. Simplistic?

You have a point there. It does benefit many that would not have the opportunity to work, But...
I don't like there policies! And it is easy for me to see what I should do...
I save money, I use coupons, in fact I am married to the coupon queen.
So there fore, I do save money, and I avoid spending my money at a place that I do not like there policies.
I am educated, and at the moment am still getting a higher education for job purposes.
sim·plis·ti·cal·ly It will be a very long argument topic, to which I am looking forward too.
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #15
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
You're children scream for fast food, you give it to them because they enjoy it. They become adults and a whole host of healthy problems arise. They have never been to a farm or seen how food is grown or processed. They become depressed human beings because of the additives and chemicals in the food they eat and no connection with the earth.

Now when Walmart has a its shelves filled with recycled products, organic and local foods, recycle area, and offers all of this at a low price? well thats a whole other story.
While I know you mean the "You" in this senario in the general way, I do not shop for most of my things at Walmart. I use Fresh and Easy for my food shopping (cheap and mostly organic lovely foods) because they do not have a union for their employees (don't get me started on the evils of unions), and the 99 cent store for household items sold cheaply, and the regular grocery for things my invalid Mother will not compromise on the quality for saving a buck. We have Whole foods markets (I won't shop there because the CEO is an asshat and the cost is too high) Trader Joe's, Bristol Farms,,, Tom's farms which is, suprise a farm.

My grocery bill with an invalid Mother, teenaged daughter, picky spouse, a cat blah blah blah runs nearly $2,000 a month. If I didn't have Wal-mart for medications, adult diapers blah blah blah....I would be living in my car. Oh, and I cook those lovely organic healthy foods...a three way bipass helps to change your attitude about food just a little. We eat "fast food" maybe 2x a month on the run after Kidney dialysis, doctor's appointments etc...

Okay, done...off the soap box...stuff to do
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #16
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

Wal-Mart could change how drug stores do business in the US if they really stuck with their program of the $5 and $10 co-pays of all drugs and not just the generics. For example, my diabetic drug, Actos, there is no generic for. So, I have to pay full cost or change what I take. I change what I took.

To me it would make more sense to keep a customer happy and stay with my store by saying ok, we will make it a $10 fee and eat the rest of the cost (we make it up anyway with our profit).

I spend $700 a month on my prescriptions alone. And that is with the generics as well as 1 reg. brand of anti-seizure med. that there is no generic for. That alone is $240 a month with a prescription plan. I can't live without it. It is what it is.

We have a long way to go with our healthcare system in the US. Too many are falling thru the cracks. I know for myself, I have skipped taking blood draws on some days because of the cost of the strips. I also skip taking full doses of xyz drug because I want to stretch it out due to my budget constrants. When folks have to choose between food and med. I know how they feel. It isn't just the old that get caught in this catagory.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #17
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation

Walmart costs taxpayers each year over 1 Billion (that's with a B) dollars in state money. How, you may ask?

Federal aid, food stamps, WIC, state health care and welfare subsidies for fulltime and part time walmart employees.

For more scintillating information you can read Nickle and Dimed, or The Wal-Mart Effect

Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Selenay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

I was (and still am) thinking about switching my scripts over to Walmart because they may be cheaper. Most of my meds have generics - but CVS (where I currently get my meds) - actually charges me more for the generic than the pill would cost non-generic! WTF?!!? After I bitched, moaned and complained - I am now being charged the actual cost for the med - which is cheaper than the stupid co-pay. Go figure. And then people wonder why they go to places like Walmart to save a few dollars and not get ripped off?

Again, don't get me wrong - I am not a huge Walmarta fan (that's what we call it) - but I refuse to pay more than I have to. If it means places like CVS suffer because of it - well, my feeling is they shouldn't be ripping people (and insurance companies) off.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #19
Mitmo01

How Do You Identify?:
Disobedient Thing...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Rebel Soul in the blood..Heathen as well
Relationship Status:
Marked and Loved....I Belong to Her....

Thanked 1,354 Times in 579 Posts
Mitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST Reputation

While I def do not like the inherent policies and procedures that Walmart has been sued over like shaving Overtime from workers and forcing them to skip lunches etc. I am a consumer who is educated but poor and while i do patronize many local small businesses in my city im inevitably held hostage by my finances like many others lol im torn on this issue im glad that Walmart has been sued in every court imaginiable from class actions to state courts over thier policies, they also employ a large number of people and allow me to afford products that many local stores charge way to much for....I try to balance it out in other ways....
Mitmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitmo01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #20
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I just don't know what the answer is. I think everyone who is a customer faces this issue when it comes to money, and the price wars. It is like a catch 22 or dam if you do or dam if you don't. That is why so many are going to Canada, Mexico, or overseas for medical care and medicines. Heck, now you can buy stuff off the internet. It really is up to your own disgresion.

Andrew
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post: