Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 02-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #41
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFemmie View Post
Yeah, we have a huge flea market with farmer's markets here - but we find that the quality of the produce isn't all that, believe it or not. I don't know what these people do to their produce - (or where they are traveling from - I don't think they are locals) but we'll buy it looking fantastic, and within a day, it's beyond nasty. Actually, when we drive along the roads here, there are a lot of pop up stands with veggies and fruits fresh picked. I prefer those to the farmer's market, which is hit or miss for us. Even if they charge a little more, the quality is well worth it.

However, I do love the flea market - (and it is HUGE).
well some people that sell produce buy from brokers. All flea markets are different and you have to go super early because as soon as they sell out they leave.

you can also grow really nice produce easy with intensive gardening, raised beds. Even the smallest space.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #42
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post
Walmart costs taxpayers each year over 1 Billion (that's with a B) dollars in state money. How, you may ask?

Federal aid, food stamps, WIC, state health care and welfare subsidies for fulltime and part time walmart employees.

For more scintillating information you can read Nickle and Dimed, or The Wal-Mart Effect

incase any of us lose sight of the real *cost* of shopping at wal-mart.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #43
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by apretty View Post
incase any of us lose sight of the real *cost* of shopping at wal-mart.
my daughter and her husband both work there. they are encouraged to apply for food stamps and aid.

i found them an apartment with the full knowledge that I may have to subsidize their rent sometimes because the hours they get can be so erratic.

also, my son in law was hurt but wouldn't report it because employee's are on a *point* system. He would have been docked a very large amount of points because on the job injuries there are ALWAYS considered the fault of the employee.

the good news is that reality has spurned them both to get back into college. Praise Sam Walton.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #44
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

superfemme,

that's about the only success story coming out of wal-mart that i've ever heard! yay for those two!

oh and tell your son-in-law that it only takes 3 people to file a class-action lawsuit--he should EASILY be able to find 2 other injured workers.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #45
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufusboi View Post
Why do we blame wal mart for killing small businesses? Why don't we blame shoppers for abandoning small businesses in favor of wal mart. No one makes anyone shop at wal-mart.

Rufus

It's a good question. Consumers are getting both needs and wants met. They get a product at a price they can afford. And WalMart continual tries to lower the price. Fine. The reality is that lower cost has to come out of somewhere.

My understanding is (and based on the article I referenced in the OP) it has to do with what WalMart is doing to manufacturers of products. Basically, they are forcing them to create them and sell them at below cost if they want to reach the audience that WalMart has built. Yes, they are aggressively competitive but at what cost in the long run?

Quote:

Source: Harper's 2006

Yet since 2004, Kraft has announced plans to shut thirty-nine plants, to let go 13,500 workers, and to eliminate a quarter of its products. Most reports blame soaring prices of energy and raw materials, but in a truly free market Kraft could have pushed at least some of these higher costs on to the consumer. This, however, is no longer possible. Even as costs rise, Wal-Mart and other discounters continue to demand that Kraft lower its prices further. Kraft has found itself with no other choice than to swallow the costs, and hence to tear itself to pieces.
This kind of behaviour has, IMO, a ripple effect that is felt. The 13,500 workers likely lost decent jobs and if they work at WalMart they are at a far lower pay scale than before. We are creating an environment where, to get lower costs, we are going to abuse workers and pay them at a substandard level.

Part of it, certainly, is due to the over-drive consumerism that exists here. But part of it is because of the nature of WalMart. And yes, others do it -- after seeing what WalMart was doing and seeing that no one stopped them (attempts by various gov'ts ended up being settled out of court with a few tossed). This study, done in 2004, details some of the hidden costs of WalMart. I suspect that we're paying more for WalMart than we realize.

Now, do I recognize that some good can come from them? Yes. There is always the possibility. I also don't think they are the only ones. Many people hire those with various disabilities and various age ranges. To be honest, and perhaps it's a sign of the difference between Can and the US, I don't see how WalMart is viewed as better at this than other organizations. I also wonder how much of the hiring choice (as in who and what type of person is hired) is more of a regional effect rather than a corporate wide policy or attitude.

Quote:
Source: Harper article referenced above.

But the issue before us is not how Wal-Mart grew to scale but how Wal-Mart uses its power today and will use it tomorrow. The problem is that Wal-Mart, like other monopsonists, does not participate in the market so much as use its power to micromanage the market, carefully coordinating the actions of thousands of firms from a position above the market.
Walmart, to me, is the Microsoft of goods and services.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #46
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation
Default Available for rent on Netflix

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price(2005) NR

Filmmaker Robert Greenwald takes aim at the corporate giant that's come to symbolize big business in America -- Wal-Mart -- blasting the box-store Goliath for allegedly paying substandard wages, skimping on employee benefits and gutting communities. This hard-hitting, emotional documentary profiles the struggle of everyday folks from around the country who've committed themselves to fighting the mega-retailer.

Genre:
Social & Cultural Documentaries, Indie Documentaries

This movie is:
Inspiring, Dark, Controversial, Cerebral

Format:
DVD and streaming

For whomever it was that asked, I blame Walmart for killing small business because when a Walmart comes to town the small businesses simply cannot compete with Walmart's super cheap prices. The documentary also explains why so many of their products are so inexpensive as well. That happens when you basically employ the poor for practically nothing, and resell for a profit. If I'm buying a t-shirt from Walmart for $4.50, imagine what it cost them to make and import this t-shirt and still most likely make a huge profit on it!! There's NO WAY that small business can compete, thusly many, many small town America down towns are dying or are gone. The same thing happens to grocery stores when the super Walmarts move in. In addition many towns helped subsidize Walmart (as if they need(ed) financial assistance) to move into their towns, only to realize that it practically kills the town. Watch the documentary and decide for yourself.

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

Last edited by T D; 02-19-2010 at 06:56 PM.
T D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T D For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #47
bright_arrow
☆ the stars are aligned ☆

How Do You Identify?:
strong, independent, badass redhead
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl, buttercup, sugah
Relationship Status:
married to my Boo Daddy <3

Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,295 Posts
bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

So far - none of our small stores aka locally owned stores have closed. Not a one. Not yet at least, and they've been here five years. Many people left P&C when Wal-mart came in (customers, not employees - and it's a super Wal-mart I should add I suppose) because, well, P&C is pretty expensive. I paid $10 for a jar of some spice or another that my mother asked for She about killed me, and said she could have gone without it *shrug*

Though I hear that Wal-mart's produce isn't the best .. Hm. I don't do the grocery shopping so I'm not sure.

And a random tidbit I found interesting, when price comparing - in the orange box there's the unit price, say the bottle of shampoo is $1 per ounce for instance, so if you're trying to compare two different sizes and trying to see which one is cheaper per unit measure, that will tell you.

I thought that was cool. Just my .02
bright_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #48
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
well some people that sell produce buy from brokers. All flea markets are different and you have to go super early because as soon as they sell out they leave.

you can also grow really nice produce easy with intensive gardening, raised beds. Even the smallest space.
We do grow our own produce ... we enjoy it so much in fact, our plans include a 6 acre farm in the near future. (God willing and God speed, yanno?)

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #49
TIMBERWOLF

How Do You Identify?:
Old Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lesbian Butch so that would be she, but I come to just about anything *S*
Relationship Status:
Single

TIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST Reputation

I don't think it evil . There are a lot of stores that do the same thing. It depends on where you live and whats available to you. I don't by my meat there. I prefer to go to HEB and buy my meat. I check prices because Wal Mart isn't always the cheapest on everything. My Lady shops at Target a lot.If I have to go to a few places to get what i want I will.Hey we go to the 99 cent store only for things.I do normally buy my milk at Wal Mart. I go to the Mrs Baird's bread thrift store where I can buy my Orowheat Whole wheat bread for $1.69 a loaf instead of over $3.00 at Wal Mart.So I think you just have to go with what you can afford.No shame, no guilt. We are consumers and each one of us chooses what is best for us,our family.
TIMBER
TIMBERWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TIMBERWOLF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #50
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation
Default Employee treatment from an employee's viewpoint...

Due to the total lack of jobs in my area, after being out of work for over 18 months, I went back to work in the photolab at WalMart. (I had worked for the company in my early 20s.) Yeah, their pay sucks but hey, it's a job.

When I worked for the company years ago, I worked in a store that was absolutely horrible. No women in mgmt, very sexist and just generally a horrible work environment. When I got the job offer this time, I was so dreading it because I expected the same thing eventhough it was a different location. So far I have been pleasantly surprised this go round. This new store I work at is almost a polar opposite to the first. At this one, our store manager is an openly gay female, as with a couple of our assistant managers. All but two of our Customer Service managers are openly gay males, and there are many many associates who are openly gay, including myself. I was almost shocked to see how gay friendly this store is with its employees, so very different from the last store which always seemed to fire the employees for one reason or another when it was "discovered" that the employee was gay.

The store is very geared for community involvement, inside its doors and out. We have lots of charity programs in the community and also for the employees. We hold benefit dinners inhouse for employees in need. I particularly like this program because the store donates most of the food (employees can donate dishes as well) and it is set up all day in the breakroom and charges $5 per plate for any employee who wants to participate. ALL of the money goes directly to the employee in need (who is kept anonymous). I've seen it help folks a great deal.

Unfortunately though, there are still some issues at this store. For example, two teenage girls working different departments. One girl is a total slacker who not only does NOT do her job but has over 40 unexcused absences. She has not even received a warning. The other girl works her ass off, is always there and always ready to help out wherever she is needed. Two days ago she started having chest pains and her arms went numb. She went into the breakroom to sit down and calm down because the situation was scaring her. She sat there for about 45 minutes. However, she did not tell a member of management what was going on until the end of that time period. Management fired her on the spot for "stealing company money" because she was on the clock when this occurred. WTF? I understand that she should have let someone know what was going on before leaving the floor (not just for her job's sake but for health's sake as well) but I feel that management should have been more understanding and lenient with her due to the circumstances and her previously impeccible work ethic. But that's just my view I guess.

As for most of the issues people have with WalMart for the way they treat their employees, I understand the frustration and anger (after all, I know firsthand). But after working for many different companies in many different places, I also realize that it's not just WalMart. There are MANY MANY companies out there who are just as bad if not worse. We just normally don't get to hear about those companies as often, because they aren't as publicly known as WalMart.

We could hope that at some point in time, ALL employers could be more fair and just with their employees, but I guess in the world of big business the $$$ are always going to be priority number one...
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #51
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Mare and I were actually on our way to Walmarta yesterday, and I brought up this topic. Basically, She felt the same way I do about it - Mom and Pop stores are great when you're in a pinch, but they are way too expensive. In the Walmarta by Her job, they employ a severely disabled man who sits at the door and marks the receipts as you exit. Thinking about it - where else would this man have an opportunity to be employed?

It's a double edged sword topic - on one hand, you know Walmarta makes enough money to extend benefits to their employees. Most retail stores do, but they don't want it to inflate overhead and cut into profit. (CEOs need that damn Bentley and the Olympic sized pools, yanno).... Again, most retail stores do this, including the one Mare works for. She gets benefits because She is management, but She is constantly reminded to watch employee hours because if they go over, they'll be eligible for bennies. Does it suck? Yes. But on the other hand, Walmarta makes employment a reality for those who would not otherwise have an opportunity.

In this economy ... it's all about what you don't spend.

*shrug*

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #52
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I know I certainly have gone back and forth about this. On one hand, I want to support local businesses that are smaller. I do so, but, I also shop bargains which often are just in the box-type stores like Walmart. I have a friend that absolutely will not buy anything at Walmart. I respect her choice, yet, I just can't go negative about these kinds of stores entirely. It is about the economy and jobs for me in the end. I don't like some of the employment practices of the big box stores and where they get located sometimes (that could hurt smaller, local businesses). I will pay a bit more for something at a Mom & Pop store, but not a crazy inflated price. Sometimes, I buy with customer service in mind, too.

I come from a family-owned small business background, so I have to say I struggle a lot with this. Also, I certainly do find bargains in smaller stores sometimes.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #53
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,863 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Well, for me, I try not to buy anything from WalMart, just on principle. I'm not raising a family, though, and can afford not to pay the cheapest price available. For that alone, I am blessed, but I also realize that so many others are not in my position, so I can respect that they go where they can get the best prices. I totally and completely see that and agree with it. I also see where WalMart employs some folks who wouldn't have jobs otherwise. It just really pisses me off that it is these very practices, which we both laud and loathe WalMart for are, in the long run, going to drive down wages, destroy the last bastians of decent employment conditions. I think that, in the grand scheme of things, it will ultimately eliminate the middle class. I think they intend it that way. I fully believe and subscribe to the notion that there is a such thing as a "New World Order" and that we are racing towards that very thing at a breakneck speed. This is what alarms me so.

I prefer to do all of my shopping on base, at the military exchanges and commissaries. If anyone's going to make a profit off of me, I'd rather it be put towards making the lives of military members and their families better and more comfortable.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I don't know how or if this problem/dilemma is ever going to be resolved, but I don't think that it will ever be in the best interests, overall, of the common American. By and large, America can't afford to not shop at WalMart, yet we can't afford to, either. They've got us by the short 'n curlies.

~Theo~
Old 02-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #54
Rufusboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Partnered

Rufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post
By and large, America can't afford to not shop at WalMart, yet we can't afford to, either. They've got us by the short 'n curlies.

~Theo~
Good point. I think that sums up the dilemma for most. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Rufus
Rufusboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rufusboi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #55
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I respect the principle of folks not shopping at Walmart because of their employee practices but my bottom line comes down to what we can afford.

It looks something like this:

Wal-Mart:
Cheapest roll of paper towels .77
Real butter 1.77
Cheapest loaf of bread .77
Tampons 3.97
Bag of frozen chicken tenderloins 6.44
=13.72

"Regular" Grocery Store:
Cheapest roll of paper towels 1.14
Real butter 2.97
Cheapest loaf of bread .99
Tampons 5.40
Bag of frozen chicken tenderloins 8.99
=19.49

That difference is about $6. Or 2.5 gallons of gas. Or 1/4 of our water bill. Or an extra carton of eggs, gallon of milk, and loaf of bread one week. Or a dollar movie and coke for each of us.

Medusa
(penny pincher)
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #56
Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

My wonderful butch does the shopping in our house. She is a coupon-clipper and sales-watcher, which saves us a lot of money every week. I'm talking, sometimes as much as $60 or $70. She will go to the grocery store for some items, Wal Mart for others, and then we do some bulk shopping at BJ's. I'm nothing but grateful for the time she puts into this. We are not wealthy, but her efforts save us enough to be able to handle a bill, deal with an unexpected emergency, or go away for a night. That improves the quality of our lives, together. To be honest, I'm sure there is much more to the controversy than I have been interested in finding out about. I don't begrudge anyone their point of view, and I would bet that I'd agree with them if I took the time to understand. But, honestly, I have many issues that are near and dear to me. Many important causes, including some that affect my children. I choose not to take it all on, and I really feel like I have to apologize because I know how it feels, when something is that important to me, and someone doesn't "get it."
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #57
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My daughter tried to kill herself yesterday at school, but was fortunately stopped. I only found out because her best friend told his Dad who called us.... Anywhosit. Wal-mart health insurance will provide for her hospitalization, and regular visits to the therapist for unlimited sessions at $20 a visit. My insurance isn't half that good.....
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #58
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
My daughter tried to kill herself yesterday at school, but was fortunately stopped. I only found out because her best friend told his Dad who called us.... Anywhosit. Wal-mart health insurance will provide for her hospitalization, and regular visits to the therapist for unlimited sessions at $20 a visit. My insurance isn't half that good.....
Wow. I'm glad that the insurance he has will cover it and, more importantly, that someone stopped your daughter from doing harm. I'll have her in my thoughts and prayers tonight in hopes that the road ahead will lead to something more positive.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #59
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Wow. I'm glad that the insurance he has will cover it and, more importantly, that someone stopped your daughter from doing harm. I'll have her in my thoughts and prayers tonight in hopes that the road ahead will lead to something more positive.
Thank you Linus. We will take all the prayers we can get. I'm still shaking from the shock. I wouldn't be a teenager again for anything!

***yes I realize adults harm themselves...please be kind
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #60
Laidbackgrly

How Do You Identify?:

Laidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST ReputationLaidbackgrly Has the BEST Reputation
Default walmart is a mess

i cant stand walmart ive gone there 3 times since july i go only if i have too
Laidbackgrly is offline   Reply With Quote