Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation
Default Office Etiquette / Advice

I'm starting this thread because I'm seeking answers from those who know the rules of office etiquette better than I. But I hope others also can post their questions and advice here too.

Here's mine:

Okay - I have a small convex mirror (bigger than a quarter, but still relatively small) adhered to my monitor so people don't come up behind me and scare the bejeezus out of me. I have been at this job about a month and a half, and a woman who has been out with an injury just came back two days ago.

Today, she asked me why I had a mirror on my monitor, and was it so I could see what she was doing on her computer (she sits behind me, but the door is also behind me). I said, no, the mirror is too small for me to see anything she's doing. I tend to jump out of my skin if somebody approaches me from behind and I don't know they are coming. I asked if it bothered her, and she said, "yes, actually, it does."

I don't want to remove my mirror. I did move my monitor so the mirror doesn't show her in its line of sight, but now I'm getting a crick in my neck.

SO: Is my having a small mirror on my monitor a breach of office etiquette? Should I take it down out of consideration for her feelings, or will this encourage her to make future unreasonable demands? Have you ever been bothered by somebody in your office having a mirror attached to their desk, monitor or wall? Am I being an ass?

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post: