Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Myster
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 3,382 Times in 995 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation
Default Kinski Uncut

Klaus Kinski- Memoirs. A very interesting psychological portrait of one of the world's greatest actors imo.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #2722
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Gravel Butch

Thanked 3,423 Times in 666 Posts
Wrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST Reputation

In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
Wrang1er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wrang1er For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 05:05 PM   #2723
Genesis
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian Femme on a varied spectrum
Preferred Pronoun?:
Une femme dynamique ...wild child ^w^
Relationship Status:
'S leatsa mo chridhe gu bràth...

Thanked 12,254 Times in 5,024 Posts
Genesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST ReputationGenesis Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow Currently reading...

Majestically written....

― Audrey Hepburn
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Genesis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #2724
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Gravel Butch

Wrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST Reputation

Just starting Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe. I thought I'd read it before but now I'm not sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wrang1er For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #2725
Jesse
FOODIE

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,321 Times in 3,867 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

I haven't started reading it just yet, because it doesn't come out until June. I pre-ordered it moments ago, because I enjoy what she writes for the most part.

Hunger - A Memoir of (My) Body
by Roxane Gay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #2726
Kätzchen
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 15,092 Times in 4,715 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I've been reading James McBride's autobiography (an memoir and tribute to his white Jewish mother). I bought this book a few years ago and kept it because of the many subjects of interest (poverty, accounts of inherent racism and discrimination, and the re-telling of his mother's painful life experiences, well hidden social taboos, within her own small family and how those experiences shaped her life in very painful ways...). I like how McBride alternates between things he discovered late in life about his mother to how his mother's life impacts affected his life and the lives of his siblings, which helps the reader to learn more about social impacts affecting those whose life might parallel in similar ways.

It's a very good book and may well be considered a timeless classic, over the years to come.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #2727
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Tomboyish-Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
I really love a good crisp apple.

Thanked 7,815 Times in 1,708 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

"Zadie Smith's dazzling first novel plays out its bounding, vibrant course in a Jamaican hair salon in North London, an Indian restaurant in Leicester Square, an Irish poolroom turned immigrant café, a liberal public school, a sleek science institute. A winning debut in every respect, White Teeth marks the arrival of a wondrously talented writer who takes on the big themes —faith, race, gender, history, and culture— and triumphs."
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #2728
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
loving myself...not in a dirty way...well maybe some times

Thanked 25,422 Times in 6,344 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post

I've been reading James McBride's autobiography (an memoir and tribute to his white Jewish mother). I bought this book a few years ago and kept it because of the many subjects of interest (poverty, accounts of inherent racism and discrimination, and the re-telling of his mother's painful life experiences, well hidden social taboos, within her own small family and how those experiences shaped her life in very painful ways...). I like how McBride alternates between things he discovered late in life about his mother to how his mother's life impacts affected his life and the lives of his siblings, which helps the reader to learn more about social impacts affecting those whose life might parallel in similar ways.

It's a very good book and may well be considered a timeless classic, over the years to come.
I read this and I loved it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #2729
Katniss

How Do You Identify?:
Varsity Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Dame, Doll, Twist, Dish
Relationship Status:
Red carded

Thanked 9,281 Times in 1,904 Posts
Katniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST Reputation

Just finished "The Cellist of Sarajevo" by Steven Galloway.

The review states;

"A novel of great intensity and power, and inspired by a true story, The Cellist of Sarajevo poignantly explores how war can change one’s definition of humanity, the effect of music on our emotional endurance, and how a romance with the rituals of daily life can itself be a form of resistance."

I very much enjoyed the book. While not a typical "feel good" novel, in the end it did leave me with a sense of hope for this world and the humans that inhabit it.

Katniss~~
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Katniss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 AM   #2730
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Gravel Butch

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wrang1er For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 06:21 AM   #2731
Jesse
FOODIE

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,321 Times in 3,867 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Living Apart Together: A Unique Path to Marital Happiness, or The Joy of Sharing Lives Without Sharing an Address - Anne L. Watson

Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 09:52 AM   #2732
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Magical Joyous Mofo
Preferred Pronoun?:
Pumpkin
Relationship Status:
You don't find love. It finds you.

Thanked 37,849 Times in 7,082 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

EEEEKKKK!!!

I always have a couple of books going but I just finished one called "Bird Box".

A SUPER CREEPY post-apocalypse (but without the zombies) nail-biter replete with "the hair on the back of my neck just stood up" moments.
"People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway.
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.” - Kent Keith -
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #2733
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Gravel Butch

I just finished Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe and the biography Harriet Tubman by Kem Knapp Sawyer.

Thanks to this thread I read The Zookeeper's Wife last weekend and I'm now starting The Color of Water.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wrang1er For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 06:27 PM   #2734
anotherbutch

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 1,271 Times in 363 Posts
anotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputation

The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*uck..... by Mark Manson
anotherbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anotherbutch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #2735
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Tomboyish-Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:

easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
EEEEKKKK!!!

I always have a couple of books going but I just finished one called "Bird Box".

A SUPER CREEPY post-apocalypse (but without the zombies) nail-biter replete with "the hair on the back of my neck just stood up" moments.
I just looked that up.. looks sooooooooooo good!
The Following User Says Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #2736
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Gravel Butch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl View Post
I read this and I loved it!
Thanks to you and Katzchen, I read The Color of Water and I loved it. I gave it to my mother to read and she also loved it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wrang1er For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #2737
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Magical Joyous Mofo
Preferred Pronoun?:
Pumpkin
Relationship Status:
You don't find love. It finds you.

Thanked 37,849 Times in 7,082 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingfemme View Post
I just looked that up.. looks sooooooooooo good!

If you do decide to read it, let me know what you think! I was totally creeped out in several areas but it was super entertaining!
"People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway.
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.” - Kent Keith -
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #2738
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Tomboyish-Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
If you do decide to read it, let me know what you think! I was totally creeped out in several areas but it was super entertaining!
I have requested it at my library and will let you know how it goes. I like creepy... usually
Old 03-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #2739
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 10,038 Times in 3,890 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Black Edge by Sheelah Kolhatkar

The story of the billionaire trader Steven A. Cohen, the rise and fall of his hedge fund, SAC Capital, and the largest insider trading investigation in history.

As a side note, the series Billions on Showtime is loosely based on this story of Cohen!

I also pre ordered the paperback of End Of Watch by Stephen King the final installment in the The Bill Hodges Trilogy!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #2740
Kätzchen
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 15,092 Times in 4,715 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Black Edge by Sheelah Kolhatkar

The story of the billionaire trader Steven A. Cohen, the rise and fall of his hedge fund, SAC Capital, and the largest insider trading investigation in history.

As a side note, the series Billions on Showtime is loosely based on this story of Cohen!

I also pre ordered the paperback of End Of Watch by Stephen King the final installment in the The Bill Hodges Trilogy!

That book looks like an interesting read, homoe. Awhile back, I read the non-fiction book about the billionaire recluse who started DHL -- King Larry, Which also was an very interesting read.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading