Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > FUN > The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Ranger Butch Force

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Ranger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST Reputation
Default Moving-Help Me Decide!

So, I want to move out of this town and I have four places in mind.

Boston, Mass
Austin, TX
Fort Collins, CO
Portland, OR

I'm seriously considering throwing a party and picking one out of a hat.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Hi RBF,

What appeals to you about each of those places? Can you handle the heat in Austin, the overcast weather in Portland, the snow in Boston (I know virtually nothing about CO)? I totally know what you mean about picking a place from a hat. I am sooooooo ready to move.
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Butch Force View Post
So, I want to move out of this town and I have four places in mind.

Boston, Mass
Austin, TX
Fort Collins, CO
Portland, OR

I'm seriously considering throwing a party and picking one out of a hat.

Are there job opportunities in any of these places?
Will you and the weather get along?
What of community, is there one?
Can you afford to live there?
Commute distances?
Arts, theater, unless it doesn't matter to you?
Taxes, not texas.
Home v.s. renting?
Are your ex's in the area?

Just a few thoughts. Welcome to the Planet.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
ruffryder

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
guy ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 9,678 Times in 2,875 Posts
ruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputation

hehe.. nice!

I just moved from N.E. Colorado to N.E. Florida. I love it here! I loved Colorado too, don't get me wrong. It was just time for a change..

Looks like you got some great spots picked there, tough choice. I guess it depends what your interests are and what you are looking for. Gonna fore-go the snow for TX? That's what I'll probably miss most in Colorado along with the mountains. As for Fort Collins, spending time there myself, I know it's a college town. It is close to the mountains! So that's a plus. If you go for Colorado I would say Loveland, Estes Park, or suburb of Denver, like Aurora. However, if you are into the college scene, beer, people expressing themselves then Ft. Collins is for you! Boulder is another place just like Ft. Collins.

I know someone in Colorado that would love to go back to Oregon.
I been to Boston and it is a great place also! Huge, but great!

I hope you get some more ideas and opinions/experiences.. good luck!
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ruffryder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

Portland--It's where young people go to retire!

*plus, Juney lives there!
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

I vote for Portland, Oregon. IMO, Portland is a great city. Powells Book Store, a bicycling friendly city. Portland is not too big or too small. Queer Community, Arts, "affordable" housing. No sales tax! Close to Seattle and a bit of a longer drive to Vancouver, B.C. The natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest is incredible. Mountains, Ocean, rivers, agricultural land.

As for the weather, I don't live there so you should talk to some of the locals there but what I have seen there is "spit and drizzle" rain, light snow and friendly people.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
Ranger Butch Force

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Ranger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST ReputationRanger Butch Force Has the BEST Reputation

Here's why I chose these places.

Boston, Mass
Pros
I have friends that live there.
It's a big city with lots of neighborhoods.
There's an ocean RIGHT THERE!
Cons
It's expensive to live there.
I like snow, but not THAT much snow!

Austin, TX
Pros
There is a huge Burning Man community there.
The weather is similar to where I live now.
Cons

Fort Collins, CO
Pros
Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do.
Quite a number of factorys there (although I'd transfer within my current company)
Easy town to get around in.
Cons
Don't know anyone there.
Altitude

Portland, OR
Pros
The ocean is RIGHT THERE!
There's green stuff everywhere.
I don't mind the rain.
Cons
Don't know anyone there.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Ranger Butch Force

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

To add to all of this-

All my life I've moved because someone wanted me to move to where they are. Now, it's MY turn to move where I want to move to!

There are things that I need in these cities and they are, in no particular order:

Must have a good sized Burning Man community
Must have a good sized GLBT community
Must have a decent night life
Must have a good public transportation system
Must have an arts type of district

This is what I can think of off the top of my head, and there really ain't much there!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,783 Times in 4,470 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Another vote for Portland. It has all those things on your list.

It is tough to find a job though and even when employers are hiring they tend to be slow as molasses to actually get someone hired for a job. In this economy I am not sure it is worse than the other places on your list or not.

I love Portland!

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #10
Ranger Butch Force

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Someone asked if I had ex's in any of those cities. The answer is no. Not yet anyways.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
Abigail Crabby

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Princess
Relationship Status:
Single, but sociable

Thanked 9,667 Times in 2,484 Posts
Abigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST Reputation

Having lived in Boston, I couldn't ever do that winter weather again

I have considered Austin - Poppi and I have talked about it. Nice gay community.

Any place that snows more than the 3 or 4 inches of snow I get now I vote against lol

Turns whatever happens to you into a positive...
Abigail Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
Gayla
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Butch Top
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm not picky
Relationship Status:
She makes me dance like a fool and forget how to breathe.

Thanked 7,078 Times in 1,966 Posts
Gayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST Reputation

I will start by saying that I don't know anything about Boston.

I vote Portland. It's got a similar feel to Ft. Collins but is much cooler. There's a ton of outdoor stuff to do, much of which is similar to the types of outdoor stuff in Ft. Collins, just less of the rugged mountain kind of thing and more trees. They've also got a MUCH larger and more active BF and GLBT community than Ft. Collins.

If the heat/humidity isn't an issue than I'd say Austin. I've heard the food there is pretty good.
Gayla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gayla For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

My vote is Portland as well.

I recently visited there for the first time and completely fell in love with it.

The ocean is a picture right out of a book. The rocks the clifts and the beach...everything you would want.

If you love the ocean, which it seems from your posts is a plus, don't settle for anything but being at least near it.

Someday i will live near that vast beautiful giant being of water....got a feeling it will be Portland for myself.

Good luck!!!!
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #14
Amber2010

How Do You Identify?:
Happy, Crazy, Bubbly, Funny, Strong, Outgoing, Friendly
Preferred Pronoun?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Complicated

Amber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

You are so lucky to be able to pick up and just try something new in a new city or state. All of those cities have great things to do and I would look them up to check out what would be interesting to me. My personal favorite would be to be near the beach but I am a beach girl myself. lol
Amber2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Here's why I chose these places.

Boston, Mass
Pros
It's a big city with lots of neighborhoods.
There's an ocean RIGHT THERE!
Cons
It's expensive to live there.
I like snow, but not THAT much snow!

Austin, TX
Pros
Cons

Fort Collins, CO
Pros
Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do.
Quite a number of factorys there (although I'd transfer within my current company)
Easy town to get around in.
Cons
Don't know anyone there.
Altitude

Portland, OR
Pros
The ocean is RIGHT THERE!
There's green stuff everywhere.
I don't mind the rain.
Cons
Don't know anyone there.
Quote:
To add to all of this-

All my life I've moved because someone wanted me to move to where they are. Now, it's MY turn to move where I want to move to!

There are things that I need in these cities and they are, in no particular order:

Must have a good sized Burning Man community
Must have a good sized GLBT community
Must have a decent night life
Must have a good public transportation system
Must have an arts type of district

This is what I can think of off the top of my head, and there really ain't much there!
I'm in Austin and I really like it. Though I am a delicate flower and don't care for the heat and we are in the midst of the worst drought in more than 50 years, I like it. Anyone who knows me knows that means something.

There is a EXCELLENT community here in Austin, spread from the deep south parts of the city to cleaner and thinner aired parts of the city. As far as public transportation goes, it is good if you are downtown and/or close to the heart of the city. Okay elsewhere, but certainly not great. Austin is the music capital! The heart of the nightlife and the heart of the art district and the heart of the city are basically one big heart.

I'm not a Burning Man-er, but it sounds like you already know that that's good here.

I'm going to throw something else out there. It's a cheaper cost of living here versus OR. I'm only really comparing TX to OR right now because they are the only two on your list that only have one con.

There is the beige versus green thing. However, luckily, there are a bunch of places where you can plant your own green things so that you have green around all the time, should you so desire.

Oh, and when it does rain in Austin....and it will for more than 12 seconds, one day....it differentiates between cold and warm rain. The PNW only has cold rain. That might not make a difference to you, but if I'm getting rained on, I don't want it to feel like needles.

Take this for what it's worth. Of the four, I've only lived in Austin, though I did spend more than 4 years in WA, so I do have experience in the PNW. I can say that if you don't choose Austin, my feelings wouldn't be hurt if you did choose Portland, cuz there are some nice folks there too. If you choose CO or MA with winter coming.......you are a masochist and really should be in Austin, where we can keep an eye on you.

I'm misunderestimated.

Last edited by Gemme; 09-28-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Austin, TX
Pros
Cons
AUSTIN!

I would say subscribe to the community threads and hang out with the BFP people that are here there. (that makes sense if you read it fast...I think.)

But Austin throws regular parties. We are a good group and we live all over so you can whine about those of us who are too far south or those of them who are too far north.

Truly, Austin is a good fit if you are weird and like to celebrate your weirdness.

But it is hot. Ungodly this summer. But we don't get too much cold which is one of the reasons I left Denver.

Are you a sports fan? We've got that.
Music fan? We've got that too.
Food lover? OMGay do we have that.

And, if you can, visit each one.

But really, why waste all that time? Move to Austin. It's where the cool kids go.

Unless you are a cool kid who lives somewhere else. (CYA and running now)

Last edited by Arwen; 09-28-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: TYPOS ALL OVER AUSTIN TOO. :)
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
really should be in Austin, where we can keep an eye on you.

HAHAHAHA! JINX!
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #18
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Boston is soosososososo expensive.

All my Austin pals love it there and cost of living is not bad at all.

I have always wanted to live in Oregon for some reason, though I have not been there.

Colorado, I have no clue.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #19
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Fort Collins is a great town! College town, if that is what you like.
Your not that far from Denver and really the Altitude isn't anything, only a mile above sea level, hence the name Mile High City... now it does take a while to get use to but not long at all...

Good luck no matter where you go...

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #20
Starbuck

How Do You Identify?:
Soft Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,148 Times in 756 Posts
Starbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST Reputation
Default Boston

Having lived 35miles from Boston for almost 3 years, I can tell you I HATED the winters there!! It would snow, that would freeze, then it would snow on top of the iced snow and then do it all over again! And having to move your car so plowing could get done was a real pain in the butt too!

And don't get me started on how RUDE the drivers are in Boston! They will cut you off then flip you off like you did something wrong. It's a whole different style of driving up there. You have to learn to jump out in the smallest of spaces or you'll end up sitting and sitting waiting to get out, then people are honking at you. I certainly learned a new way to drive up there!

BUT! The best thing about Boston that I love is the Boston Red Sox! I got to see them twice at Fenway Park (pronounced pock) and I've been a fan ever since.
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck For This Useful Post: