Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,666 Times in 7,654 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default What influences our reactions to sexual abuse/exploitation of children?

News stories about the sexual abuse/exploitation of children never fail to evoke reactions. Yet it seems sometimes, to me at least, the intensity of the reaction to these stories seems to differ. Some stories enrage people while others just piss them off. Some stories quickly die out while others linger and are easily reignited.

For example, on the eve of the Super Bowl last year, the sex slave trade which abounds during sporting events rendered some pretty intense reactions that lasted a good long time.

Jerry Sandusky/Penn State allegations were hotly greeted as well. And the death of Joe Paterno ripped open the scars and controversy again.

Quarterback Mark Sanchez's alleged tryst with a teenager of legal age garnered a lot of attention but died fairly quickly.

Pedophile priests also cause some pretty strong reactions and generate a lot of talk whenever a story is aired.

Yet, this week, 2 LA elementary school teachers were charged with some pretty disgusting crimes against their students. The "lollipop" game of oral sex with a second grade student by one teacher who also took photos/videos of the abuse on his cell phone.

Another LA teacher was charged after over 400 alarming pictures of blindfolded and gagged children were discovered by a CVS photo technician. This man is alleged to have spoonfed his semen to his unsuspecting students. Story

The media stories of these teachers didnt seem to garner much reaction/attention except in the immediate area.

So, it made me start thinking, what kinds of things influence our reactions to these stories.

Is it the type of coverage the stories get i.e. stories involving sports stuff gets more hype nationwide thus reaches a wider audience? It is the repetitive and prolonged exposure to these stories that impact us as more and more info is released over time? Is it easier to "dismiss", in our own heads, a story that airs for just one day?

Or is it something in the actual circumstances i.e. a well known sports figures vs an unknown teachers, or an unknown elementary school vs a well known university or a school vs an entire religious institution etc.

Or, might it be something in us i.e. our own personal histories, or our own feelings about sports figures, or our own feelings/experiences in religious "do as I say not as I do" rhetoric etc.

Or, are there other factors I am not thinking of at the moment?

I am curious as to what people might think/feel about what types of things influence their own reactions to these stories.

Various things affect my reactions. The amount of media coverage, the more inundated I am, the more likely I am to react. The closer to home something occurs, the more likely I am to react.

Specific circumstances color my reactions as well. Direct responsibilty for an action is likely to piss me off more so than someones indirect accountabilty for anothers persons behavior. Attempts at "trial by media" always makes me see red - to me an allegation is an allegation until a trial says it isnt.

So, what kinds of things influence your reactions to this?

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,912 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

Being sexually molested at the age of four by my dentist, influences my reaction to the exploitation and sexual abuse of children. Regardless of how it is presented, or the details given, my reaction is one of anger and sadness.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,940 Times in 3,937 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I have my own reasone to be highly angered and totaly P.O.'d about his situation,I have many times wished I was in the position to leagly do something about people who abuse children or anyone else for any reason.I would see it done in an expedient amount of time,you can bet the guilty would burn in hell carcking rocks with a sledgs hammer.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,806 Times in 25,674 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I think if I relate to the story on a personal level, it strikes me stronger than others, even though they are all horrible.

For example, the spoon feeding semen guy. That made me gag a little as I'm not a fan of the flavor of semen in general. It's wrong and I think the guy should do time, but it didn't hit me as hard as some of the other stories.

I, too, am a childhood abuse survivor. Stories that mimic or somehow form a connection to my own personal story make me livid. I literally seeth on the inside and, if the perp was in front of me, I wouldn't trust myself to not do them bodily harm.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
TimilDeeps

How Do You Identify?:
queer fucker
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mine
Relationship Status:
I'm dating myself. It's really working out. I think I'm the one!!!

Thanked 1,471 Times in 445 Posts
TimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST Reputation

For me, any story regarding any form of child abuse, regardless of the amount of coverage, makes me want to vomit. Then I will like to torture those that are responsible for said abuse.

To answer the question; I respond this way because of my moral character, my ethics, my sense of right and wrong etc. etc. I have absolutely no history of abuse or trauma. I've had an amazingly boring, blessed life.
TimilDeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TimilDeeps For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow Thoughts

I'm the guilty thread starer on the eve of the Superbowl, I did another thread this year. My reaction comes from the constant abuse, neglect, and oppression of children.

Children for me are something we ALL should be safeguarding, protecting, always looking out for, (I could say this about women to but that is a whole other thread). Children don't have a voice like we adults do, children aren't given a choice, children are vulnerable..

"For example, on the eve of the Super Bowl last year, the sex slave trade which abounds during sporting events rendered some pretty intense reactions that lasted a good long time"

This statement is not entirely correct, you see children are being literally *specially* ordered the 4 to 10 year olds are requested because their tiny bodies are prepubescent and queer kids are even a bigger market because these men and women who are purchasing them are requesting children like they are fucking Big Mac's. That's what the Superbowl brings, a bunch of sick mother fuckers ordering babies up like they were hashbrowns, FIFA same thing, the Superbowl still being the biggest sex marketing event to happen but you never ever hear about it.

I am one of those people who reacts *strongly* when it comes to the abuse of children, and when I have decided to share it with this particular online venue I have read the reactions of people and I am shocked because frankly to me and this is from my view point.

Sports matter more, quarter backs matter more, children, eh they are just simply children and they don't have entertainment value.

That's what gripes my ass, the lack of value we place on the children.

I have always, will always have that reaction when it comes to any stories regarding children, after last years fiasco with the thread I learned one thing. I can share my anger, rage about it with people who are close to me and get it.

This venue I can't simply because it drives me batty crazy to see someone like that POS Paterno glorified, why?

Football is more important, that is the message I got with that matter and with the Superbowl matter.

I hope that one day all that money the NFL makes, the Catholic church has, or any other organization with that kind of power will take it upon themselves and start doing some right with that power and that our children are no longer victims.

I have no love or empathy for ANYONE that dares harm a human in vile ways, I can't even express the thoughts I have for people who harm children because for me it's unthinkable.

That's where my reaction comes from, I see children and I see innocence not profit.

As for the other sick fucks who do harm to kids, I feel the same and though we may hear about their crimes, their crimes aren't gonna affect someones big fat paycheck and rep (Paterno) so the message is clear, fuck the kids, there's plenty out there but Football (or any other high money making organization run by a bunch of sexist, opressing, disgusting people) no that HAS to be saved..

After all where would one place million dollar commercial at?

OH wait we could give that to the kids or women, or schools..

That will never happen though....

I could go on for HOURS about the Catholic Church and their heinous crimes against children but if I did I would offend A LOT of Catholics because in my eyes they are choosing to ignore that that church is FILLED with CRIMINALS...

No one likes to hear that either...
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,308 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

First off, I've never been molested or sexually abused. I do not have children.

I feel tremendous rage when I hear of a child having been sexually molested. It makes me want to get physically violent at the sick f*ck.

I remember back ... seems like around 2000 or 2001. It was when Elizabeth Smart's disappeance was on national news. Then a five year old in California, Samantha Runion, was taken from her yard in broad daylight while playing with a friend. As the perve was dragging her into his car, she screamed to her friend to go tell her mother. I read that on the news and was pure sick, couldn't sleep for thinking about that little baby. She was found dead a few days later by a jogger. Her killer had sexually postured her so people driving by could see her. Five minutes ...five minutes alone in a locked room with her attacker was what I wanted. He not only stole her innocence but took her life too.

That is where I am with this topic. It won't change.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,438 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

i'm with the_lady_snow, re the lack of value placed on children.

what really kills me about this topic, aside from the fact that i have a hard time not relating personally to stories of abuse, is the lack of value we place on children. and i think the fact that we place more value on some children than others is a huge problem. and that, for example, older children are frequently blamed for abuse (not that younger children aren't too but the newspapers are more likely to treat an older child, especially a child of color, as a grown woman who brought it on herself rather than a white child or a younger child, if that makes any sense). as a disabled native woman and a survivor, the fact that some communities, like indigenous and disabled women and children, have horrendously high rates of victimization due to sexual violence. in both cases with a higher likelihood of getting victimized by white and able-bodied folks - so it's not like it's a 'reservation problem' or something like that. the fact that no one talks about it really frustrates me. it feels like certain populations are just invisible and no one cares when it comes to sexual violence and child abuse.

generally speaking, even outside of sexual violence, children aren't really seen as fully human or deserving of full rights as adults are. i think that has a lot to do with how horribly sexual violence against children is handled. and when it happens within the family, a lot of courts and families are more concerned with forgiving the abuser, sweeping it under the rug, and making things go back to normal.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

Having gone through sexual abuse during my childhood, being raped at an early age and watching my other family memebers endure such. The entire subject sets me off horribly.
I have had much help in this area but it has been a cause of mine througout my life to help.

For me personally it effects me in anger and Discust. Being the adult me that is.

But pertaining to those in direct danger.. It sets me into go mode. I act if possible. I do whatever it takes to bring that person to stop and be arrested.

I had an oppertunity as a young teen to sit amoungst many men in prison. All being molesters or rapists by the way.
The purpose for this was to help me understand the reason why they do what they do. A therapy of sorts.
These were all men who wanted to help others not endure what they had given out before.
Yes is was horribly scarey for me at first. But is was one of the most helpful things ever done for me too.

It has taught me as an advocate how to help others get through it. And without taking it on as a personal attack. Most these people do not see a person, they see an object to controle.

I personally do not believe the prison time or punishment is near what it should be. And personally "if it were legal that is" would like them all to be released into public population..but that is never going to happen.

So the best way to arm against such is knowledge. And to take action. And do whatever it takes to get those safe in harms way.

Learn where to go to report. Find advocates that deal with this incase you need them or those you know might.

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,666 Times in 7,654 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks to everyone who chose to respond so far.

What I am hearing so far is the intensity of a response to stories of sexual abuse/exploitation of children has some roots in a personal history of abuse; values i.e. right vs wrong, protecting the innocence and vulnerabilty of children, the value of children; and particular acts we find distasteful.

Snow raised an interesting issue i.e. money and the power it gives, the power it takes, who has it, and the influence it wields.

This makes me start mulling over how "class" factors into the intensity of reactions. Looking at something from the standpoint of how money trumps and triumps over human beings makes my reactions intensify a lot.

Interesting food for more thought.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:

The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Angry More thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

Thanks to everyone who chose to respond so far.

What I am hearing so far is the intensity of a response to stories of sexual abuse/exploitation of children has some roots in a personal history of abuse; values i.e. right vs wrong, protecting the innocence and vulnerabilty of children, the value of children; and particular acts we find distasteful.

Snow raised an interesting issue i.e. money and the power it gives, the power it takes, who has it, and the influence it wields.

This makes me start mulling over how "class" factors into the intensity of reactions. Looking at something from the standpoint of how money trumps and triumps over human beings makes my reactions intensify a lot.

Interesting food for more thought.

DING DING!

Why of course money trumps over most things, last year a victim of sex trafficking went to the NFL and asked if they would do a PSA to let people know what was happening during this event.

They denied her, here was a chance for SOMEONE with power, and money to DO something for the better.

But no, no no no we can't have our Superbowl tainted with anything that is going to cause a buzz kill, cause that is what it would do it would ruin everyone's good glutenous time and children AREN'T worth that.

That's the message they sent out with their denial

Money

Children

which has more value?

Money won...

here's part of the article

""I’ll never forget my first trip to Dallas/Fort Worth several years ago. It was 2006 when I was dragged there against my will by a pimp. I was forced to dance, strip and sell sex (along with five other young girls) for over a month while he pocketed the cash ($1,000-$3,000/night from each girl) and planned our next gig. I was trapped in a life I never wanted without any hope of escape."

She goes on to say that she's taken the courageous step of sharing her story publicly to help prevent other young girls from experiencing the same thing. A.H. knows the Super Bowl Host Committee and NFL can be instrumental in helping stop this systematic exploitation by endorsing Traffick911's "I'm Not Buying It" campaign and sharing campaign materials during the game. It's easy, it's painless, and it could make a huge difference for the many girls like A.H. who are trafficked for sex at the Super Bowl every year. But so far, both the NFL and the Host Committee are ignoring the request made by A.H., several anti-trafficking organizations, and over 68,000 Change.org members."

Big money, big commercials, big game and children go unheard, honestly I think we ALL should be outraged at the NFL Committee and that this is happening to kids.......

Here's the video the NFL could of run....
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

Last edited by The_Lady_Snow; 02-05-2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: ETA
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #12
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
I'm the guilty thread starer on the eve of the Superbowl, I did another thread this year. My reaction comes from the constant abuse, neglect, and oppression of children.

Children for me are something we ALL should be safeguarding, protecting, always looking out for, (I could say this about women to but that is a whole other thread). Children don't have a voice like we adults do, children aren't given a choice, children are vulnerable..

"For example, on the eve of the Super Bowl last year, the sex slave trade which abounds during sporting events rendered some pretty intense reactions that lasted a good long time"

This statement is not entirely correct, you see children are being literally *specially* ordered the 4 to 10 year olds are requested because their tiny bodies are prepubescent and queer kids are even a bigger market because these men and women who are purchasing them are requesting children like they are fucking Big Mac's. That's what the Superbowl brings, a bunch of sick mother fuckers ordering babies up like they were hashbrowns, FIFA same thing, the Superbowl still being the biggest sex marketing event to happen but you never ever hear about it.

I am one of those people who reacts *strongly* when it comes to the abuse of children, and when I have decided to share it with this particular online venue I have read the reactions of people and I am shocked because frankly to me and this is from my view point.

Sports matter more, quarter backs matter more, children, eh they are just simply children and they don't have entertainment value.

That's what gripes my ass, the lack of value we place on the children.

I have always, will always have that reaction when it comes to any stories regarding children, after last years fiasco with the thread I learned one thing. I can share my anger, rage about it with people who are close to me and get it.

This venue I can't simply because it drives me batty crazy to see someone like that POS Paterno glorified, why?

Football is more important, that is the message I got with that matter and with the Superbowl matter.

I hope that one day all that money the NFL makes, the Catholic church has, or any other organization with that kind of power will take it upon themselves and start doing some right with that power and that our children are no longer victims.

I have no love or empathy for ANYONE that dares harm a human in vile ways, I can't even express the thoughts I have for people who harm children because for me it's unthinkable.

That's where my reaction comes from, I see children and I see innocence not profit.

As for the other sick fucks who do harm to kids, I feel the same and though we may hear about their crimes, their crimes aren't gonna affect someones big fat paycheck and rep (Paterno) so the message is clear, fuck the kids, there's plenty out there but Football (or any other high money making organization run by a bunch of sexist, opressing, disgusting people) no that HAS to be saved..

After all where would one place million dollar commercial at?

OH wait we could give that to the kids or women, or schools..

That will never happen though....

I could go on for HOURS about the Catholic Church and their heinous crimes against children but if I did I would offend A LOT of Catholics because in my eyes they are choosing to ignore that that church is FILLED with CRIMINALS...

No one likes to hear that either...
Damn right we ALL have a responsibility to children! This is where the social democrat in me goes viral. True for the elder abuse- any abuse of a defenseless person. In all of my years working with children of sexual abuse, those that turned their eyes away that could have done something had as much wrath from me as the offenders. It is just not hard to pick up the damn phone and make a call. You can remain anonymous.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #13
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:

Angry He certainly didnt die of no "broken" heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLast View Post
Damn right we ALL have a responsibility to children! This is where the social democrat in me goes viral. True for the elder abuse- any abuse of a defenseless person. In all of my years working with children of sexual abuse, those that turned their eyes away that could have done something had as much wrath from me as the offenders. It is just not hard to pick up the damn phone and make a call. You can remain anonymous.

Latest example:

Joe Paterno and all The Cronies who knew that were in a position of power at Penn State.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,378 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

So, what kinds of things influence your reactions to this?
I'm influenced by a story about abuse because I find abuse to be probably the worst kind of criminal behavior.

Which is to say, it doesn't really make a difference for me, what is going on in popular culture around the time that I am learning about a new/not so new instance of abuse.

I do think that I will occasionally be dismayed at the people that care for just a few weeks at a stretch and seem to forget about a story--Only to be (act?) completely dismayed afresh when the next popular abuse 'scandal' breaks...But never long enough or with any kind of direction to actually, you know, take some action, if only in evolving thought.

Also, I am leery of those that would try to capitalize on child abuse (any victimization of others)--So, chances are I may react internally to an issue (as opposed to outwardly) while relying heavily on my inner lady-bullshit meter.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post: