How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Engaged to JD.

Thanked 42,267 Times in 7,767 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I finished the Donald Trump book (salacious as fuck!) and am about to start on "The Girls" by Lori Lansens.

I also am listening to "Big Magic" by Elizabeth Gilbert ("Eat, Pray, Love") and so far it's pretty good
Buy ButchFemmePlanet Merch Here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2018, 05:46 PM   #3002
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 22,977 Times in 10,039 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default I don't know how a book about .......

A cantankerous curmudgeon who's lost his wife and job, both of 40 some odd years and want nothing more than to end his, a horrible crippling accident on a dream vacation, a cat on the verge of its demise after nearly freezing to death, a young gay lad being turned out by his father after revealing his lifestyle, government attempted intervention to separate a wife from her husband and place him in a facility for those suffering from Alhemizers, and an ending which one might assume you'd be in tears over.. could actually be one of the most uplifting books I've read in ages!

I highly recommend A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. One of the best books I've read in some time!!!!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #3003
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
My favorite types of things to read are non-fiction accounts.

I've recently received two books authored by Ann Rule, who retired from her role in law enforcement up in Seattle, Washington. In her books, Ann Rule draws from her experience s in law enforcement in over one thousand articles and numerous books, and she has lectured widely in law enforcement schools and agencies, as well as serving as an consultant to the FBI's Violent Criminal Apprehension Program (IV-CAP) which is used track and apprehend criminals.

I just finished reading Practice To Decieve .... the true crime story about the tragedy on Whidbey Island where Jim Huden (ex-microsoft program developer) and Peggy Sue Stackhouse took the life of another person, in the Puget Sound area, years ago.

I just received the Lust Killer . ... which this horrific crime took place in Oregon, years and years ago. I never lived here during the time this true crime account happened, but I'm looking forward to reading this book.

In a strange way, these two crime accounts remind me of the late 1960s, early 1970s account of the Zodiac Killer from the San Francisco Bay area. I was in high school back then, but I remember reading headline news coverage of this very scary true crime event.... and if I recall correctly, the Zodiac killer case has never been solved. I've always wondered if the killer would have been apprehended if Ann Rule would have been working on the case, but I wonder if cases such as the Zodiac killer might be considered the beginning of an variety of forensic sciences developed in coordination with various law enforcement agencies. I'm not sure, but I've always wondered.

Rating for Ann Rule books: Excellent!
In today's Sunday paper there was a mention of Michelle McNamara
book, called "I'll Be Gone in the Dark." It might be something worth checking out
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 12:16 AM   #3004
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
In today's Sunday paper there was a mention of Michelle McNamara
book, called "I'll Be Gone in the Dark." It might be something worth checking out
This posthumous debut recounts the chilling crimes of a serial murderer in California in the 1970s and ’80s, alongside the indefatigable investigation of crime writer McNamara to uncover the identity of the killer decades later. When McNamara first started writing about the case on her website TrueCrimeDiary in 2011, DNA testing had already linked 10 murders and 50 sexual assaults to one unknown man. The culprit, whom McNamara later gave the moniker “The Golden State Killer,” was a serial rapist in San Francisco’s East Bay in the mid-1970s, attacking women and girls in their homes. But in 1979, a close encounter with law enforcement led to a change in his M.O., and from that point on no one survived his attacks. By the time of her sudden death in 2016, McNamara had inspired an online community of sleuths who continue to research the crimes. With its exemplary mix of memoir and reportage, this remarkable book is a modern true crime classic.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #3005
Kätzchen
~*~*~*~*~

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 23,632 Times in 7,515 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
This posthumous debut recounts the chilling crimes of a serial murderer in California in the 1970s and ’80s, alongside the indefatigable investigation of crime writer McNamara to uncover the identity of the killer decades later. When McNamara first started writing about the case on her website TrueCrimeDiary in 2011, DNA testing had already linked 10 murders and 50 sexual assaults to one unknown man. The culprit, whom McNamara later gave the moniker “The Golden State Killer,” was a serial rapist in San Francisco’s East Bay in the mid-1970s, attacking women and girls in their homes. But in 1979, a close encounter with law enforcement led to a change in his M.O., and from that point on no one survived his attacks. By the time of her sudden death in 2016, McNamara had inspired an online community of sleuths who continue to research the crimes. With its exemplary mix of memoir and reportage, this remarkable book is a modern true crime classic.
Thanks homoe, but I think I will take a pass on reading any more true crime stories!
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #3006
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Thanks homoe, but I think I will take a pass on reading any more true crime stories!

I can totally appreciate that! UNLESS it's Mafia related, true crime isn't really my cup of tea either.
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #3007
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 8,934 Times in 2,277 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

I was reading some info online about come alongs. Nothing there gave me any insight on why mine is not performing well. Then I remembered I left it outside one night recently and it got rained on. I decided to oil it. That did the trick. Smooth now!
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2018, 11:55 PM   #3008
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

The Coincidence of Coconut Cake... by Amy Reichert

If you're a foodie and love a good romance this book is for you

Sidebar: Every establishment mentioned with the exception of Luella's and The Good Land, is an actual place in Milwaukee.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #3009
Kätzchen
~*~*~*~*~

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 23,632 Times in 7,515 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I traded back some books yesterday and used the in-store credit to buy another book.

Love In The Time Of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Máquez .

(1988, Vintage Books)
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2018, 04:13 PM   #3010
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Married <3

Thanked 10,872 Times in 2,328 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
A cantankerous curmudgeon who's lost his wife and job, both of 40 some odd years and want nothing more than to end his, a horrible crippling accident on a dream vacation, a cat on the verge of its demise after nearly freezing to death, a young gay lad being turned out by his father after revealing his lifestyle, government attempted intervention to separate a wife from her husband and place him in a facility for those suffering from Alhemizers, and an ending which one might assume you'd be in tears over.. could actually be one of the most uplifting books I've read in ages!

I highly recommend A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. One of the best books I've read in some time!!!!
I picked it up from the library today! Only 15 pages in now but liking what I am reading so far. Thanks for recommending
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #3011
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingfemme View Post
I picked it up from the library today! Only 15 pages in now but liking what I am reading so far. Thanks for recommending
You are very welcome!
Old 03-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #3012
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,438 Times in 7,631 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default The truth matters : a citizen's guide to separating facts from lies and stopping fake news in its tracks / Bruce Bartlett.

Introduction -- Why the traditional media no longer serves our needs -- The difference between primary and secondary sources -- How to use links -- Confusing press conventions -- Journalistic techniques that may obfuscate rather than illuminate sources -- Trusting academic sources -- What your local library has to offer in terms of news -- Numbers must be put into context -- Beware of deceptive labeling -- The perils of polling -- Using Wikipedia -- The problem of fake news -- Designing your own newspaper -- Editorial opinions -- How to fight fake news.

Looks interesting. The book is small both in size (will fit in your pocket) and pages (130+). Hoping it is to the point without much filler.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #3013
Signmypapyrus

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Signmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST Reputation

The Brain’s Body by Victoria Pitts-Taylor from Duke
Old 03-08-2018, 10:41 PM   #3014
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Engaged to JD.

Thanked 42,267 Times in 7,767 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I finished "Big Magic" and am on to "Dharma in Hell: The Prison Writings of Fleet Maull" and "The Girl With Seven Names: Escape from North Korea"

And yes, I have a third book going (fiction) that I am super-enjoying (the twins book I posted about a week or so ago)
Buy ButchFemmePlanet Merch Here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #3015
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 17,700 Times in 3,886 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Q's Legacy by Helene Hanff, who wrote 84, Charing Cross Road.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #3016
dark_crystal

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 23,754 Times in 4,126 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

I am almost finished with MY ABSOLUTE DARLING by Gabriel Tallent and it is really intense. Every trigger warning possible applies but the quality is high.

Here is npr’s review https://www.npr.org/2017/08/29/54577...er-to-put-down

dark_crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dark_crystal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 10:11 PM   #3017
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,688 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

After rereading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (in preparation for seeing the movie), I realized it wasn’t as clunky as I remembered.. plus, all the eighties references made my middle-aged heart sing. So I started his next one, Armada. Same basic blueprint (video game geek saves the world), with just as many eighties references. Fun read, even if the details are already disappearing from my memory.

I’m ready for another fast and fun YA read. Any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2018, 04:58 AM   #3018
dark_crystal

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JD View Post
After rereading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (in preparation for seeing the movie), I realized it wasn’t as clunky as I remembered.. plus, all the eighties references made my middle-aged heart sing. So I started his next one, Armada. Same basic blueprint (video game geek saves the world), with just as many eighties references. Fun read, even if the details are already disappearing from my memory.

I’m ready for another fast and fun YA read. Any suggestions?
LITTLE BROTHER, by Cory Doctorow. Not as fast as READY PLAYER ONE but really fun and eye-opening and the author gave one of the only useful keynotes i have ever heard at a library conference. I immediately forgave him for sitting in the empty chair between me and Lois Lowry at the previous conference

The Following User Says Thank You to dark_crystal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 05:01 AM   #3019
dark_crystal

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Yesterday i reviewed some medievalist lit crit comparing middle ages chivalry with Game of Thrones chivalry, appropriately titled CHIVALRY IN WESTEROS. Recommended for all students of the period and fans of the show!

The Following User Says Thank You to dark_crystal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #3020
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Latino Butch Les bi an Dom...imagine that...enough labels?!
Preferred Pronoun?:
GNC he she if Latina calling me Papí may be acceptable...in REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
With the reins in My Hands, Present, and Actively Engaged in REAL. Time. ONLY.

Thanked 6,052 Times in 2,087 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default H

"H Is for Hawk"
by Helen MacDonald

"H Is for Hawk is a work of great spirit and wonder, illuminated
equally by terror and desire. Each beautiful sentence is capable of
taking a reader's breath. The book is built of feather and bone, intelligence
and blood, and a vulnerability so profound as to conjure that
vulnerability's shadow, which is the great power of honesty. It
is not just a definitive work on falconry; it is a definitive work
on humanity, and all that can and cannot
be possessed." - Rick Bass

Greco