Old 05-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #461
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

I watched the entire Anita Hill hearings and she was treated horribly by the Republicans and it's those people who treated her horribly who are at fault for that, not Biden's as far as I am concerned. I suppose as Chairman he could have done more but it's a bit Monday morning quarterbacking to me, and Senators do get to have their say and pontificate and ask their questions and I think Biden would have basically have had to have broken Senate tradition to stop them from asking their "questions" and that never happens.

I just think it's unrealistic to think he could have done a lot more to change things and he wasn't the one who treated her badly. Perhaps I am wrong.

Again, I do think it was absolutely horrible how Anita Hill was treated and I hate, hate, hate that Clarence Thomas is on the Supreme Court.

Now we have Kavanaugh who is even worse. Ugh.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #462
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,013 Times in 8,560 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
I watched the entire Anita Hill hearings and she was treated horribly by the Republicans and it's those people who treated her horribly who are at fault for that, not Biden's as far as I am concerned. I suppose as Chairman he could have done more but it's a bit Monday morning quarterbacking to me, and Senators do get to have their say and pontificate and ask their questions and I think Biden would have basically have had to have broken Senate tradition to stop them from asking their "questions" and that never happens.

I just think it's unrealistic to think he could have done a lot more to change things and he wasn't the one who treated her badly. Perhaps I am wrong.

Again, I do think it was absolutely horrible how Anita Hill was treated and I hate, hate, hate that Clarence Thomas is on the Supreme Court.

Now we have Kavanaugh who is even worse. Ugh.
Monday morning quarterbacking? Hardly.

For a number of us, this isnt a grudge that happened after the fact. The anger and frustration is real and is a direct result of the hearings.

Biden was an ass who, as usual, made it easy for the for republicans to shame Hill and replace Marshall with Thomas.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #463
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

I did watch the entire thing but it was a long time ago.

If a bunch of Democrats treated someone badly the Republicans would never blame themselves and ensue with in-fighting. It would never happen. Another assist to the enemy.

I don't think of Biden as acting as an ass as usual and no I don't think it was Biden's fault. Anyone who wants to think that of course can.

Clarence Thomas was confirmed by a vote of 52-48. It was mostly on party lines but 11 asshole Democrats voted for him. Biden wasn't one of them - he voted against. It could have been stopped but the Blue Dogs voted for him

There were also 2 Republicans who voted against. One was Jim Jeffords from Vermont who later became an Independent and caucused with the Democrats so not sure I would count him as a Republican really. The other Republican who voted against Thomas was Bob Packwood - who had to resign from the Senate later when multiple women came forward on sexual assault charges.

The Democrats technically had the votes. It should have been stopped. Personally I don't see it as Biden's fault. I'm sure he could have done better but the one thing he could control he did - he voted against the nomination.

52-48

Democrats who voted for Thomas

Richard Shelby (Alabama)
Dennis DeConcini (Arizona)
Sam Nunn (Georgia)
Whyche Fowler (Georgia)
Alan J. Dixon (Illinois)
J. Bennett Johnston (Louisiana)
John Breaux (Louisiana)
J.James Exon (Nebraska)
David L. Boren (Oklahoma)
Ernest Hollings (South Carolina)
Chuck Robb (Virginia)

Republicans who voted against Thomas

Jim Jeffords (Vermont)
Bob Packwood (Oregon)

Discussing politics online is just way too aggravating. I just need to stop for my own peace of mind.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #464
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,587 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
Basically, we trashed our oceans to preserve one company's profit margins.

So, who failed? Was it the company who shifted half its responsibility to "municipal recycling systems, if funded and supported by government agencies"?

Capitalist rhetoric says we have to blame the consumer. Governments would have better-funded and more successful recycling programs if consumers demanded them, or even used them, but they didn't and they don't.

That is a tactic for maintaining the status quo. Anytime the rhetoric can shift the blame to a million end-users of a product instead of tracing a problem back to its root and holding the original decision-makers responsible, change becomes less possible.

I mean, the lag time for my family between all products shifting to plastic and the arrival of our first curbside bin was at least a decade. Shouldn't someone have required Coke to shift their packaging gradually, market area by market area, as recycling became available in each area? We should not have had plastic on our supermarket shelves until we had bins on our curbs.
The Guardian: Neoliberalism has conned us into fighting climate change as individuals. By Martin Lukacs

Would you advise someone to flap towels in a burning house? To bring a flyswatter to a gunfight? Yet the counsel we hear on climate change could scarcely be more out of sync with the nature of the crisis.

The email in my inbox last week offered thirty suggestions to green my office space: use reusable pens, redecorate with light colours, stop using the elevator.

Back at home, done huffing stairs, I could get on with other options: change my lightbulbs, buy local veggies, purchase eco-appliances, put a solar panel on my roof.

And a study released on Thursday claimed it had figured out the single best way to fight climate change: I could swear off ever having a child.

These pervasive exhortations to individual action — in corporate ads, school textbooks, and the campaigns of mainstream environmental groups, especially in the west — seem as natural as the air we breathe. But we could hardly be worse-served.

While we busy ourselves greening our personal lives, fossil fuel corporations are rendering these efforts irrelevant. The breakdown of carbon emissions since 1988? A hundred companies alone are responsible for an astonishing 71%. You tinker with those pens or that panel; they go on torching the planet.

The freedom of these corporations to pollute – and the fixation on a feeble lifestyle response – is no accident. It is the result of an ideological war, waged over the last 40 years, against the possibility of collective action. Devastatingly successful, it is not too late to reverse it.

The political project of neoliberalism, brought to ascendence by Thatcher and Reagan, has pursued two principal objectives. The first has been to dismantle any barriers to the exercise of unaccountable private power. The second had been to erect them to the exercise of any democratic public will.

Its trademark policies of privatization, deregulation, tax cuts and free trade deals: these have liberated corporations to accumulate enormous profits and treat the atmosphere like a sewage dump, and hamstrung our ability, through the instrument of the state, to plan for our collective welfare.

Anything resembling a collective check on corporate power has become a target of the elite: lobbying and corporate donations, hollowing out democracies, have obstructed green policies and kept fossil fuel subsidies flowing; and the rights of associations like unions, the most effective means for workers to wield power together, have been undercut whenever possible.

At the very moment when climate change demands an unprecedented collective public response, neoliberal ideology stands in the way. Which is why, if we want to bring down emissions fast, we will need to overcome all of its free-market mantras: take railways and utilities and energy grids back into public control; regulate corporations to phase out fossil fuels; and raise taxes to pay for massive investment in climate-ready infrastructure and renewable energy — so that solar panels can go on everyone’s rooftop, not just on those who can afford it.

Neoliberalism has not merely ensured this agenda is politically unrealistic: it has also tried to make it culturally unthinkable. Its celebration of competitive self-interest and hyper-individualism, its stigmatization of compassion and solidarity, has frayed our collective bonds. It has spread, like an insidious anti-social toxin, what Margaret Thatcher preached: “there is no such thing as society.”

Studies show that people who have grown up under this era have indeed become more individualistic and consumerist. Steeped in a culture telling us to think of ourselves as consumers instead of citizens, as self-reliant instead of interdependent, is it any wonder we deal with a systemic issue by turning in droves to ineffectual, individual efforts?
Old 05-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #465
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,170 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

And in the US, it's mainstream Dems who've lead the way on this. It was all meritocracy instead of workers organize.

There's an interesting critique of yoga now as a sort of a personal empowerment while ignoring not just poor people (duh), but a dying planet. Given how many of us are suffering from lifestyle related illnesses, it's hard to fault people for trying to live and be well. Also yoga can be anti-consumerist. But if you think of the resources that were poured into it by the well educated elite while so little energy was directed at climate change at a time when it would have mattered. . . .

I think what appalls people is their belief that yoga or meditation would lead to a better world. It definitely leads to a better life, but does it turn people away from politics and social activism?

Perhaps. Certainly there is something solipsistic in these and other practices. But I don't think the ideology is the explanation. It's that in the US, it is a movement formed around the interests of the professional classes. People do not betray their class interests easily. People of all races put class interest first. People born into poverty who have entered the professional class, their political behavior is almost indistinguishable from those whose parents were from the professional classes.

Neoliberalism is the ideology of the professional class within the construct of Capitalism. It does nothing to stop the inevitable self destructive arc that is the heart of Capitalism and that will eventually take most of them down too, but for the last fifty years it has made their lives more flush and given them power. The Cheney's of the world don't die with 100 million in the bank. But they got to drive the machine that is making the wealthy wealthier. Why that feels so good I can't say.

We endlessly criticize poor white people for voting against their best interests, but the professional classes have too by supporting Clinton and others, including Republicans, who tell them they have won the meritocracy sweepstakes while the biggest transfer of wealth has been from the professional classes to the extremely wealthy.

If the working class is desperate, the professionals are showing their pathetic asses. The college cheating scandal tells you all you need to know about what they will do to keep their edge.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #466
ksrainbow

How Do You Identify?:
Valued

Thanked 2,149 Times in 561 Posts
ksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputation
Default Declared Dem's presidential candidates...

I may find your efforts on your local/state/national level more appealing for the House and Senate races.

Why I ask is this...Your voting record is public for all local/state/national issues from your past to present.

IF your record can not be sustained/maintained in the current legislation: then maybe going back to your initial impact on positive policy change can/may/will impact the next. Your vote will secure your base there.

One step at a time-

Ks-
ksrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksrainbow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 07:45 AM   #467
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
Neoliberalism is the ideology of the professional class within the construct of Capitalism. It does nothing to stop the inevitable self destructive arc that is the heart of Capitalism and that will eventually take most of them down too, but for the last fifty years it has made their lives more flush and given them power. The Cheney's of the world don't die with 100 million in the bank. But they got to drive the machine that is making the wealthy wealthier. Why that feels so good I can't say.
First, a caveat:

It Takes A Village To Determine The Origins Of An African Proverb

"If you want to go fast, go alone; but if you want to go far, go together."

That was one piece of advice passed along at the just-concluded Democratic National Convention. The words were spoken by New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker, who said he was quoting "an African saying."

The proverb got a lot of retweets. And some criticism. One Twitter user, Christiana A. Mbakwe, said, "If someone starts an aphorism with 'there's an African saying' it's probably a mythical quote misattributed to a whole continent."

That wasn't the only purportedly African proverb uttered at the DNC. Hillary Clinton referred to her 1996 book It Takes a Village, whose title is said to be part of another saying from Africa: "It takes a village to raise a child."
Second: despite that caveat, that "African Proverb" has been on my mind a lot

"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together."

We’re here, at the end times, because we did not go together.

The patriarchs wanted to go fast, instead, and now they’re stuck. They can’t escape their fate unless they go back to the first people-- women-- they left behind and pick them up. Then the next, the next, and the next until everyone has their shoes tied and their backpack on, now we all step off in unison, one, two.

The thing is, they knew what they were doing. They knew going fast would ruin everything-- that’s why every tradition has an apocalypse narrative.

This consumption, this population-- even before the pollution, the extinctions-- they knew: this can’t go on forever. Infinite growth on a finite planet always had to end in catastrophe. The math was there before the problems manifested.

They distracted us from the math by teaching women to think beyond the planet. They told us not to be worldly, your reward is in heaven. Be fruitful and multiply!

And the patriarchs most emphatically are not going to go back and correct the mistake of choosing fast over far...
They would rather die. They have decided. They would rather all of us die than consider sharing anything at all.

Social media is prime example of going fast when you should have gone together. The men that invented social media were coders. They did not bother to ask any social scientists what the pitfalls could be or how best to proceed. Now we have bad actors poisoning our brains.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #468
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Quote:
"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together."

We’re here, at the end times, because we did not go together.

The patriarchs wanted to go fast, instead, and now they’re stuck. They can’t escape their fate unless they go back to the first people-- women-- they left behind and pick them up. Then the next, the next, and the next until everyone has their shoes tied and their backpack on, now we all step off in unison, one, two.
This is why it pisses me off when people act like social justice is a distraction from more important issues, that we are wasting time on it.

Clearly i am on twitter TOO MUCH, but i think about this tweet a lot:
"Conservatives: Lets round up Muslims and put them in camps. Liberals: HIRE MORE WOMEN GUARDS."
(@historyinflicks)
The implication here is that liberals can't see the forest for the trees. We are so focused on equality that we can't see that the system we're trying to make equal is already fucked up.

i get it, but "hire more female guards" is not as ridiculous as implied. The point is not that we need to hire more female anything NOW, but that EVERY job should have been half women from the beginning.

There were decisions made centuries ago that are part of what will destroy us, and those decisions were made and implemented by a very narrow slice of humanity. And now, when we are in a place where we have to try to undo those decisions, the progressive wing of that very narrow slice is insisting that worrying about gender inequality is something that should wait until the planet is not on fire.

The planet is on fire because we let it go on as long as it did. It is clear from the actions of the GOP that THEY are willing to leverage racism and misogyny to distract THEIR base long enough to finish the job of burning the planet. Whether progressive men like it or not, we're completely gridlocked by bigotry.

If we have to spend another decade fixing bigotry, we're going to be a lot closer to the abyss before we start clawing our way back from it, but when bigotry is how they did it and how they keep doing it, bigotry is what you have to fix. People are only in denial of this because it is so monumental. How do you even start?

By electing a woman President, duh.

SERIOUSLY: DUH! They're criminalizing our bodies, the GOP used our bodies and Obama's birth certificate to buy the entire South, and white male Democrats still think they might be the answer?

I felt different a week ago, but post-Alabama/Georgia? Biden, Bernie, Beto, De Blasio, Hickenlooper, Insley, Ryan, etc. ALL need to just sit their asses down.

There is no qualification they can have that we need more than we a female face in that office. It is (and it WAS, in 2016) worth nominating a woman just because she's a woman-- we have reached a point (especially post-Trump, who couldn't be less qualified) where the symbolism really does matter more than the individual's qualifications. "No more old white dudes" really is the most powerful message we can send.

Just looking at the rage that came out when we had a black President, and how that rage has led the ragers into following the shittiest person alive into global suicide, should be enough to destroy the argument that it shouldn't matter whether the Democratic candidate is a white man.

It does suck that we have to fix racism and sexism before we can fix the planet, but that is not liberals being distracted, that is us fighting the battle on the ground where our enemies pitched it. They are (very, very successfully) using racism and sexism to destroy the planet.

Thinking we can skip fixing that and fix the planet first is the exact same old "going fast instead of far" mindset that invented social media without wondering whether you could rig an election with it.

Warren 2020
Old 05-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #469
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,265 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Branding.

Love the "The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act".
Hate "Obamacare".

Love "Social Democracy".
Hate "Socialism".

Just a thought:
I think many would support "social democracy" if they really understood what it meant and it didn't have the word "social" in it to raise the spectre of "socialism". Branding seems to work in America so maybe it's time to rebrand and move ahead.

Or, just wait it out:
"The big story here is the growing enthusiasm for socialism among younger Americans. Whereas only 27 per cent of over-65s have a positive view of socialism, according to an Axios poll conducted in January, 61 per cent of those aged 18-24 do."
Which doesn't mean everyone understands the term ( some thought it meant being "sociable") but at least it's in the right direction.

Globe and Mail May 17, 2019
The Following User Says Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #470
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Quote:
As i mentioned ion a previous post, the US suicide rate has increased 30% since 2000:
Suicide in the United States has surged to the highest levels in nearly 30 years, a federal data analysis has found, with increases in every age group except older adults. The rise was particularly steep for women. It was also substantial among middle-aged Americans, sending a signal of deep anguish from a group whose suicide rates had been stable or falling since the 1950s.

The suicide rate for middle-aged women, ages 45 to 64, jumped by 63 percent over the period of the study, while it rose by 43 percent for men in that age range, the sharpest increase for males of any age. The overall suicide rate rose by 24 percent from 1999 to 2014, according to the National Center for Health Statistics, which released the study on Friday.

The increases were so widespread that they lifted the nation’s suicide rate to 13 per 100,000 people, the highest since 1986. The rate rose by 2 percent a year starting in 2006, double the annual rise in the earlier period of the study. In all, 42,773 people died from suicide in 2014, compared with 29,199 in 1999.
Yesterday i was on the Galveston Daily News website and i was reading the comments under a story on projected sea level rise, and 90% of commenters (most of whom can see the Gulf of Mexico from their houses) were calling climate change a liberal hoax perpetuated by money-hungry academics.

The reason US evangelicals are so rabid about Israel is because they need for the geopolitics of the situation to go a certain way so the apocalypse and rapture can hurry up and get here.

What i am saying is that the "dark cancer" is a death wish that has taken over about half of the population.

Our species as a whole is suicidal.

We've always had a suicide switch hiding inside of us-- you can see this in the apocalypse prophecies that feature in so many religions. Those are there because we know there has to be an ending to our story, because we also know, instinctively and subconsciously, that our existence is unsustainable-- just the mathematical fact of exponential population growth within a finite environment has a bad ending coded in from the beginning.

I think the suicide switch in our evolutionary makeup was triggered in 1945 when we dropped the first nuclear bomb. Our ending began that day-- as soon as it became possible for man to destroy life on earth, it also became inevitable on a long enough timeline. We know that, deep down, and we've been waiting for the other shoe to drop ever since.

What's happening now is that more and more people are tired of the suspense and just want to get it over with.

That is why we have Trump/Brexit/Marine le Pen, Bolsnaro, etc. If enough countries slide off the rails and into nationalism, the cooperation we need to save ourselves becomes impossible.

Deep down, a lot of people want that. We can't save ourselves without some discomfort and a big slice of the population would rather we all die instead of cutting consumption of anything at all.

Its not Rs vs Ds, or progressives vs liberals-- it's Team Apocalypse vs Team Carry On-- except all of the infighting and purity testing we have in certain corners of Team Carry On makes me think the suicide bug has bit a lot of us, too. Like, let's take a decade-long time-out right here, with one minute to midnight on the Doomsday Clock, and throw a couple of elections so we can break the back of the two-party system.
I would like to enter Australia's election result today into the suicidal species evidence list
Old 05-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #471
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:

C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

For those who believe that "liberalism" is the sad slow death of us all,
I'd like to recommend reading Adam Gopnik’s " A Thousand Small Sanities: The Moral Adventure of Liberalism".

Or, you can follow this link:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ld-embrace-it/

If you get over the word "Canada" and read this opinion piece, maybe there is a healthy conversation for us to have here.

Adam Gopnik is Canadian/American and a staff writer for the New Yorker.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 02:46 PM   #472
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0LLETTE View Post
For those who believe that "liberalism" is the sad slow death of us all,
I'd like to recommend reading Adam Gopnik’s " A Thousand Small Sanities: The Moral Adventure of Liberalism".

Or, you can follow this link:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ld-embrace-it/

If you get over the word "Canada" and read this opinion piece, maybe there is a healthy conversation for us to have here.

Adam Gopnik is Canadian/American and a staff writer for the New Yorker.
That's a very good news agency website out of Canada, C0LLETTE. I'll check up on that book recommendation for Adam Gopnik, for my summer reading adventure. Thank you!

Lately, I've been thinking, due to really shady maneuvers by the GOP (in any Republican controlled US state or even in US Congress) to upend the lives of women and case law concerning Women's Rights and upending Brown vs Board of Education, and shoving the US-Supreme Court to the far right, that maybe it might be a good idea to match the level of the insanity we see by DC Admin and, in general, the GOP (wasn't that refreshing to see a US HOR GOP representative part with party politics and call out that horrible monster in DC???), is to f*cking smash the glass-ceiling and elect not only a woman to be US President, but US Vice-President too.

Here's what came to mind, the other day:

US President: Elizabeth Warren.
US Vice President: Kamala Harris
US Attorney General: Adam Schiff
Governor Jay Inslee -- Chief of EPA.

(and the list goes on....)

While we're at it, a woman should be nominated to head the VA, The Pentagon and find a decorated staff of US Veteran Women to take positions in Foreign Affairs.

It's about time that the US throws it's weight behind a TOP heavy cabinet of women in VIP positions in Washington, DC.

I'm thinking positive by dreaming really BIG dreams and manifesting them into reality. It can happen, right? I definitely think so. The climate is perfect for the proverbial ceiling to be smashed.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2019, 05:10 AM   #473
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I would be happy if Kamala, Warren, or Gillibrand were elected. They are qualified, tough folks. They are true liberals, one hopes not of the HIRE MORE WOMEN GUARDS type.

But I am old enough to vividly recall Margaret Thatcher, whose legacy in Great Britain is child hunger that almost matches the U.S. rate. I don't care what gender or race the person is. Or age. I just care if they can see the truth and have the strength to do something about it.

If we have to wait for racism to go away before we can fix the planet, were doomed.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #474
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,248 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I would be happy if Kamala, Warren, or Gillibrand were elected. They are qualified, tough folks. They are true liberals, one hopes not of the HIRE MORE WOMEN GUARDS type.

But I am old enough to vividly recall Margaret Thatcher, whose legacy in Great Britain is child hunger that almost matches the U.S. rate. I don't care what gender or race the person is. Or age. I just care if they can see the truth and have the strength to do something about it.

If we have to wait for racism to go away before we can fix the planet, were doomed.
I may be overthinking this but I am wondering why you feel it acceptable to call candidate Kamala Harris by her first name but address candidates Elizabeth Warren and Kirsten Gillibrand by their last names.

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #475
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:

What I like about "liberal thinkers and philosophy" is the strength to remain aspirational in the face of angry necrophilic reminders of past failures.
So what? Keep going, look ahead.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #476
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I may be overthinking this but I am wondering why you feel it acceptable to call candidate Kamala Harris by her first name but address candidates Elizabeth Warren and Kirsten Gillibrand by their last names.
I lived in California when she was AG, and that's how people referred to her. Not the Press, but ordinary folk discussing politics. Not sure why. But that's how I think of her now. She did a lot of good work as AG and was often in the Press.

Edited to add. Just got an email from her campaign soliciting donations. A quote:

Your past support has made our campaign possible -- and we’re counting on you to stand with Kamala in the fights ahead. Can you add another donation to Kamala’s campaign today?
Old 05-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #477
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:

I'd like to get a Beto O'Rourke tee shirt. I'm starting to feel that it will be a "rare collectible " quite soon.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #478
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0LLETTE View Post
I'd like to get a Beto O'Rourke tee shirt. I'm starting to feel that it will be a "rare collectible " quite soon.
i have a button and a sticker from his Senate campaign. We went to a town hall
Old 05-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #479
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
i noticed this about Hillary, too. It seemed gendered but then we call Bernie and Beto "Bernie and Beto." Also i say "Mayor Pete" and "Julian." I do say "Kamala" but i also say "Warren." I think i call everyone else by their last name
Old 05-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #480
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:

Trump has long said he'd like to have a Roy Cohn by his side but I believe he has found a Lavrenty Beria in William Barr.
If history is any lesson, Barr might want to be cautious putting all his eggs in that basket.

Tags
2020, election