Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,264 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

29 dead...ok..now what are you going to have for breakfast/supper tonight. Have some chocolate milk.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #562
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
Biden expressed sympathy for the people of Michigan and Houston at a fundraiser last night.

The mass shootings were in El Paso and Ohio.

I have no words.

This scares me beyond words can express...
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 10:32 PM   #563
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,960 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0LLETTE View Post
29 dead...ok..now what are you going to have for breakfast/supper tonight. Have some chocolate milk.
We are all numb and grieving over 200+ instances of mass shootings JUST THIS YEAR.

We do not need this shit from you! Why is it that instead of having helpful solutions, or sympathy for our grief, you feel the overwhelming need to come here to make fun of us for our fluff posts!

I have lost all respect for you, take a flying leap off of a very short pier.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #564
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
We are all numb and grieving over 200+ instances of mass shootings JUST THIS YEAR.

We do not need this shit from you! Why is it that instead of having helpful solutions, or sympathy for our grief, you feel the overwhelming need to come here to make fun of us for our fluff posts!

Agreed. Reads almost like a bot, just wanting to spew darkness.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #565
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Concur.
How can a citizen of an avowed G-7 ally country uncaringly throw hard rocks toward a close neighbor in trouble. Yes, Trump dissed Trudeau, but that is a symptom of our problem.
For those Internationales unfamiliar with our problem, we are a country in mourning for 200 innocent civilians gunned down by mass murderers who were following the lead of our fascist president. Trump, in concert with Putin, of Russia, have conspired to create chaos through guerrilla warfare conducted by ultra-right pundits who are bent on destruction. Our country has the possibility of erupting into civil war with those same pundits killing as many black, brown, Jewish, and others different from themselves as they possibly can.
I have always believed that Canadians had our back. We are in a desperate situation where our people need the support and help of our neighbors and allies.
The U.S. People are not at blame for the actions of our fascist president. We are victims of an international conspiracy.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #566
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:

C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

I keep wondering whether it is worth writing this post but decided I'd try just this once.

There was nothing mocking about my post it was simply an ironic reference to all the other mass murders that have come and quickly gone: Parkdale, Las Vegas, Charlottesville , etc etc...they stretch back hundreds of years...and then people move on...AM I REALLY THE FIRST PERSON WHO HAS EVER COMMENTED ON THIS??? OR IS IT THE FACT, LIKE JONATHAN SWIFT'S "MODEST PROPOSAL" I should have left the irony lie and just been so literal no fool could have possibly misinterpreted the intention of the post.
The Following User Says Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #567
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I keep wondering whether it is worth writing this post but decided I'd try just this once.

There was nothing mocking about my post it was simply an ironic reference to all the other mass murders that have come and quickly gone: Parkdale, Las Vegas, Charlottesville , etc etc...they stretch back hundreds of years...and then people move on...AM I REALLY THE FIRST PERSON WHO HAS EVER COMMENTED ON THIS??? OR IS IT THE FACT, LIKE JONATHAN SWIFT'S "MODEST PROPOSAL" I should have left the irony lie and just been so literal no fool could have possibly misinterpreted the intention of the post.
I wish I could block your arrogant dismissive insulting posts
Old 08-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #568
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalipstic View Post
I wish I could block your arrogant dismissive insulting posts
You can put anyone on ignore, and you will not see their posts.

For the sake of my health, I have put finally put someone on ignore.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #569
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Quote:

Your words are being heard loud and clear, C0LLETTE. Perhaps, you have picked the wrong time to remind us of a flaw we are acutely aware of. We are too raw to pick at that scab.

Analysis of the long term problem would be better when the wound is bleeding a bit less.

Right now, what Americans need is compassion, support, and help. IMO, you have just chosen the wrong time for discussion on the historical perspective.

A physician would not address lifestyle changes with a patient having an acute and possibly lethal injury.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #570
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

I would like to get back to the 2020 election if at all possible, anyone else?

Did you all see the news this weekend regarding Booker, Sanders and Harris stumping at a church where the Pastor has said that LGBTQIA folks are going to Hell and that we are all child molesters?

Are the candidates so out of touch that they just go where they are told to go, or do they just not care?

***edited to add...the story was on LGBTQ Nation.****
Old 08-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #571
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:

Ok Cathexis, I'm writing to you, in particular, because I think you understood the essence of my post.
But, Cathexis, it is never the "right time".

We all feel compassion and sympathy, no question, but as the people of Dayton are crying out they've had enough of the words, prayers, expressions of grief, etc..and saying "Do Something". This patient may die but when exactly do you figure is the right time to start talking before the next patient is lying there. It's always the wrong time.

There is no easy answer, no easy solution but the work has to start somewhere and immediately, the anger must not be allowed to die down before no one again can remember when El Paso and Dayton took place. Most people don't even remember when Sandy Hook took place...and that is what must never be allowed to happen.

So you can all blast me much as you like but I do remember Sandy Hook. I did grieve Sandy Hook and I can remember the names and faces of all those victims.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:03 PM   #572
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,931 Times in 9,910 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default *Copy That* (Back to 20/20 Election Talk)

So...… tonight I dedicate my post to all the members in our community who somehow aren't around anymore (you know who you are!! I miss reading your posts and articulate points of view).

I've been reading news articles from the website for progressive news coverage: Common Dreams (click the title, it takes you to their website).

Here are a few things I have noticed that haven't gotten much coverage in the news, which might be good ideas for current Democratic Presidential Candidates to speak up about:

1) FEMA (have any of the victims of climate change weather tragedies received any monetary benefit since 2016?);

2) Does the current administration owe your city money due to them visiting your city and incurring outrageous public safety fees, like it owes El Paso (T^^^P admin owes El Paso $500K)???

3) Did anyone else see the news byte from MM which has created some buzz around former 1st Lady Michelle Obama, running for President? I heard it on NPR today.... and read about it elsewhere online.

5) I'd like to see the Castro brothers annihilate the current administrations vitriol surrounding racially motivated hate directed toward Mexico and it's citizens and any individual from any Central or South American country who wants to immigrate to the US. Here is a current research article from The Pew Research Center (non-partisan think tank) which presents scientific data that people of Mexican ethnicity/nationality are NOT illegally immigrating to the US (See Link Below).

5 Facts About Illegal Immigration In The US
(The Pew Research Center, June 12th 2019)

The El Paso tragedy is, in my mind, more than just a tipping-point issue on Gun Control and Immigration and that infernal load of baloney about the 'wall' that the DC administration is hell bent on building across the southern border of the US and all the other troubling issues concerning locking up and caging up countless children and adults who left their own country due to crushing levels of poverty created by the so-called 'Free Trade Policy' which has done nothing to help anyone but line the pockets of the filthy rich and used in tit-4-tat trade war crap by the current monster in office.

So many critical policy issues at stake. I won't be surprised if the GOP has been raiding PENSION policy plans and setting up a coup to take down every policy that protects the common and not so common workers in America.

That's all I got tonight. Just a mountain of concerns and a boat load of sadness and grief for all the people who are suffering tonight due to horrific tragedies around the country.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 05:40 AM   #573
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

I Beto having a moment out there or is it just in Texas?

He said "what the fuck" over the weekend and everyone swooned all over social media.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #574
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,369 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

As a native of the Dayton area, who went to school and worked in Dayton, I don't think Dayton needs people from outside our nation's boundaries advocating for us. We will do fine, thank you very much. Dayton was the Ohio city most affected by the opioid crisis, but is now the model city for reducing deaths from opioids. We don't need others patronizing us.

I also think if you're going to make a point about remembering, you might get the names right. It's Parkland, not Parkdale. I don't think too many U.S. citizens would have made that error because the lives lost were our own.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #575
Allison W

How Do You Identify?:
TG Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Loner

Thanked 1,198 Times in 320 Posts
Allison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST ReputationAllison W Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathexis View Post
Perhaps, you misunderstand what I mean by Far Left. In my understanding, the Far Left are the parties that include the Trotskyists and Left Anarchists not what is being referred to in popular political rhetoric today. If you are indeed speaking the same parties as I am, then we need to have a real conversation.

The U.S. is not, in any way, in shape to have a revolution. The true left does not have the support needed. Now, if you're talking Sanders and Democratic Socialism, maybe the country can entertain the idea. Only maybe, but Bernie doesn't have the backing, polls reveal that centrists would be more likely to be successful.

I feel that we need to, above all, defeat Trump else this current Fascist course continue. However, there are leftists who believe that the more right-wing a climate, the more likely a revolution will succeed. Personally, I prefer not to tempt fate.
I mean, long-term? Liberal capitalism is a sinking ship and will give way to either socialism or fascism. I agree that right now we don't have the right conditions for revolution, but it's not because we're not far enough to the right, it's because right-wing propaganda that survival interests are determined by racial tribe rather than by economic class has been extremely successful. There's a reason I back the candidate who speaks of forbidden ideas like the class consciousness: the more people are aware that an elite class of users that can be defined by the power they have over resources and their ability to control others' access to resources, not any racial or ethnic grouping, is what's killing us, the more likely socialist revolution will succeed.

Also, centrism isn't a solution, because the status quo that centrists want to return to is the disease. Because the status quo, the center, is that the rich continue to get richer, the poor continue to get poorer, and the planet continues to choke to death on an endless spew of carbon, methane, and other greenhouse gases, and, oh, we continue putting immigrants in concentration camps because Trump didn't start that; it was happening under Obama too. That is the norm; that is our default. The right wing sublimates our fears into a fear of the brown and queer Other, and blames the brown and queer Other for the hopelessness looming in the mind of everyone who isn't in a bubble, and that's what put Trump in office in 2016. If we put a centrist in office in 2020, all we do is kick the can down the road for four more years and then get someone even worse than Trump in 2024 because only the fascists are offering even the pretense of an escape from the diseased status quo, even if it's a false one.

But yeah. The fascism is not something Trump created. It already exists at the heart of our political status quo, and that status quo resulted in Trump, not the other way around.

Also those polls don't measure the masses of disillusioned who only show up to vote if there's a candidate worth voting for; they are calibrated around the people who will show up even if the menu is absolute shit, because it's a lot harder to predict how many irregular voters a candidate will mobilize if they get nominated. Hell, they don't even measure people without landlines, which is to say, voters under 40 are largely excluded. But suffice it to say there are far more irregulars and young people to win over than there are "centrists" to win over.

Quote:
I would like to get back to the 2020 election if at all possible, anyone else?

Did you all see the news this weekend regarding Booker, Sanders and Harris stumping at a church where the Pastor has said that LGBTQIA folks are going to Hell and that we are all child molesters?

Are the candidates so out of touch that they just go where they are told to go, or do they just not care?

***edited to add...the story was on LGBTQ Nation.****
I can't speak for Booker or Harris, but this is... a little extreme for Sanders but otherwise on-brand. Like, this isn't the first time he's gone into a right-wing venue to spread left-wing ideas, because besides the young and the dispossessed, his campaign doesn't work by simply attempting to parrot agreement with someone's existing stances (either by moving to the center or preaching to the choir) but rather by winning over converts, frequently by way of priming non-rich cultural conservatives to vote for their economic interests rather than on cultural grounds. He won't win over that pastor, but he might win over some of the congregation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal
I Beto having a moment out there or is it just in Texas?

He said "what the fuck" over the weekend and everyone swooned all over social media.
I mean I did gain a little respect for him when he had that candid explosion about what the source of our gun violence problem is, yes.

Speaking of that gun violence problem, I gotta say that very few of the ideas we actually have on the table now will have the desired effect. The only one currently in circulation that might actually help would be tightening restrictions on people convicted of DV charges having guns to give the DA and other local authorities less ability to let the perp weasel out of it. A lot of others would just make it more difficult for poor people (like minorities at risk of right-wing violence) to own guns. Also fuck Andrew Cuomo's stupid proposal for a mental health registry. That's all we fucking need, a centralized list of people to stigmatize for needing mental health care, when mental illness has no relationship to our current mass shooting crisis. We already know who our mass shooters are and they're not mentally ill: they're largely domestic abusers and the politically motivated, particularly white nationalists.

tl;dr If we banned domestic abusers and white nationalists from owning guns, we could stop mass shootings and abolish the police at the same time, this is extremely efficient policy-making.
Allison W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Allison W For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #576
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
As a native of the Dayton area, who went to school and worked in Dayton, I don't think Dayton needs people from outside our nation's boundaries advocating for us. We will do fine, thank you very much. Dayton was the Ohio city most affected by the opioid crisis, but is now the model city for reducing deaths from opioids. We don't need others patronizing us.

I also think if you're going to make a point about remembering, you might get the names right. It's Parkland, not Parkdale. I don't think too many U.S. citizens would have made that error because the lives lost were our own.
How do you know what the people of Dayton "need" ? Are you really speaking for "the people of Dayton" because you once lived there? I don't speak for all Canadians even though people here try to keep shoving me into that corner

What is it you actually know/remember about the Holocaust? But I sure as Hell wouldn't hate you for referencing that pain, even 70 years later. I wouldn't ask you to prove you were Jewish or show me where you live..even if you misspelled the name of every single Concentration Camp.

There was nothing patronizing about my post except what you demagogically tried to stick in there.

As for Parkdale/Parkland... Why are you so unable to accept that even if one person outside America remembers those crimes it is something to acknowledge positively. The murder of children, even if those children are American, is not a crime only against America.

Do you really think that only citizens of Somalia can speak out on the massacres there, only citizens of Hong Kong can speak out on the repression there, only Saudis can speak out about the murder of reporters there?

You don't need to be able to spell every name right, every chronology exactly, to have a right to express an empathy for the central issue...

otherwise you end up with an ever diminishing circle of nodding heads and no one else feels a right to speak out...even in the most innocuous way.

And please stop looking for the tiniest reference to try to diminish larger points...it just looks impotent .
Old 08-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #577
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

My point about Booker/Sanders/Harris, was that by going to that venue for their political gain, and not as a push back to the message of hate by their pastor, gave implicit approval to his message. In essence, saying that he had the power to bring together an audience of right leaning people to hear their stump speech, so it was fine that he spoke out against us.

This was not right leaning Foxx news giving them a townhall, this was someone using hate speech against our community, and the 3 of them NEVER addressed the issue. Booker and Harris ATTENDED A CHURCH SERVICE, while Sanders went so far as to give his political stump speech.

I won’t vote for any of them, and Harris was my prior choice.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #578
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
My point about Booker/Sanders/Harris, was that by going to that venue for their political gain, and not as a push back to the message of hate by their pastor, gave implicit approval to his message. In essence, saying that he had the power to bring together an audience of right leaning people to hear their stump speech, so it was fine that he spoke out against us.

This was not right leaning Foxx news giving them a townhall, this was someone using hate speech against our community, and the 3 of them NEVER addressed the issue. Booker and Harris ATTENDED A CHURCH SERVICE, while Sanders went so far as to give his political stump speech.

I won’t vote for any of them, and Harris was my prior choice.
You make a salient point, and I agree with your assessment. Why is that, that people have a hard time not seeing the exact point you make: That all three of them never addressed that specific issue -- the glaring issue of not calling out the undisguisable bigotry of hate speech directed toward the greater LGBTQ community?

In a parallel type situation, NPR's 'Fresh Air' hosts took up the larger discussion about how the owner of a nation-wide gym facility is actually hosting a T^^^P fundraiser at his Connecticut home; that said owner's profits must be funding right-wing nationalist agenda for T/P because they have been soliciting big-ticket prices to attend this (COUGH/PUKE) event at the gym owner's private Connecticut residence; that even gym attendee's in West Hollywood (who were interviewed on the radio show) took issue with how the gym owner is basically thumbing his nose at the community that supports his facilities and how people just don't get how awful it is that the place they've been pumping money into is none other that a hate-sponsoring enterprise with no conscience on how they are using their profits to fund T-monster-land, etc.

My heart is hurting for those who are being rounded up in ICE raids: parents and kids lives are torn apart with unimaginable heartache.

First They Came ...

They came for the Communists, and I
didn’t object – For I wasn’t
a Communist;

They came for the Socialists, and I
didn’t object – For I wasn’t a Socialist;

They came for the labor leaders, and I
didn’t object – For I wasn’t a labor leader;

They came for the Jews, and I didn’t
object – For I wasn’t a Jew;

Then they came for me –
And there was no one left to object.

Martin Niemöller

Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemöller (14 January 1892 – 6 March 1984) was a German theologian and Lutheran pastor. He is best known for his opposition to the Nazi regime during the 1930s and for his widely quoted poem "First they came ...". (LINK)

_____ ______
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 08:54 PM   #579
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison W View Post
Also, centrism isn't a solution, because the status quo that centrists want to return to is the disease. Because the status quo, the center, is that the rich continue to get richer, the poor continue to get poorer, and the planet continues to choke to death on an endless spew of carbon, methane, and other greenhouse gases, and, oh, we continue putting immigrants in concentration camps because Trump didn't start that; it was happening under Obama too. That is the norm; that is our default. The right wing sublimates our fears into a fear of the brown and queer Other, and blames the brown and queer Other for the hopelessness looming in the mind of everyone who isn't in a bubble, and that's what put Trump in office in 2016. If we put a centrist in office in 2020, all we do is kick the can down the road for four more years and then get someone even worse than Trump in 2024 because only the fascists are offering even the pretense of an escape from the diseased status quo, even if it's a false one.

But yeah....fascism is not something Trump created. It already exists at the heart of our political status quo, and that status quo resulted in Trump, not the other way around.
I hope you don't mind Allison that I've excerpted the best part of your latest post. Thank you for saying it so well. I agree with you 100%.

_____ ______
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #580
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Harry Reid, Sen E. Warren (...)

I got home tonight and while surfing today's top headline news in politics, I read about Harry Reid making the case for getting rid of the 'fillibuster' and how Senator Elizabeth Warren is backing that idea with all the strength she can- politically.

Those 'tightey-whitey' GOP senators who have been strangling the heck out of any last ounce or shred of credibility in how they want ppl to think they are putting the will of the people first? I hope that they will RUE the DAY when they lose their chairs in the Senate because I don't think they've ever put the will of the people first. They keep putting their own self interests ahead of the greater good of the American public.

How anyone cannot see the racist practices employed by the GOP and their henchmen, and monster in the WH, is beyond me.

Meanwhile, the economy is on the brink of something far worse than the recession of 2008 and the GOP keeps shredding policy (s) that protects the most vulnerable of the American population and immigrants, and policy that is there for the sake of e v e r y o n e.

*Tick Tock, Tick Tock*

Super grateful tonight for those who are working on behalf of the people, The Democrats.

_____ ______
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
2020, election