Old 04-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #141
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,757 Times in 4,468 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Free-to-be, welcome to BFP and this thread. Yes, there are some lesbians who don't like the word dyke. I personally like both. It has been used as a slur against me, but I have reclaimed it. I kinda like that it sounds harsh, heh heh.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #142
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

interesting thread.............
i find that no matter how we all identify ...... to the general public be it str8 or gay .... we are al consider'd lesbians...
only thing is ........ in cringe when someone refer's to my dates as ..... a girl.
like as in ...... how are you ladies doing tonight??
or.... how was your date with your gf ???
i really cant seem to think of my stone butch/ or tg dates as ahhhh girl..
i tend to correct the statment when said. heh........

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #143
Captain Franki

How Do You Identify?:
FAAB Genderqueer; Camp as Christmas; Utterly Confused; Pokemon Master
Preferred Pronoun?:
They or any other neutral pronoun
Relationship Status:
Single

Captain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST ReputationCaptain Franki Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
Well, I love Alison Bechdel, that's for sure! She's so nerdy and smart and adorable. When I was first realizing I wasn't straight, I would sit at the library for hours on end reading her Dykes to Watch out For series. It made me feel a bit more connected, less lonely.

I suppose I'm not, myself, a lesbian -when I'm honest with myself, I know I could have feelings for someone of any sex or gender- but I have much appreciation, respect and gratitude for everything my lesbian sisters have done and continue to do on behalf of the whole community. <3
just want to concur with all of this!

i'm queer and trans but don't feel ive ever been a lesbian... after all i was effectively a 'straight girl' for most of my life, then circling around 'bi curious but only in theory' , later gaining the title of 'straight/bi faghag with lots of gay friends' before going directly to 'trans and also gay no wait bi no wait queer'. i sort of had a bi 'intermediate' but I never have had that lesbian first stage that seems massively prevalent, assumed even.

but i definitely feel a solid part of the liberal broadly queer lesbian id community. i love snuggling in its cosy not always metaphorical bosom. hit and miss with others. i love close male friendship and hanging out in male company but i find there is a cumulative toxic buildup of machismo if i spend too long with too many guys.
Captain Franki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #144
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Happy August and Monday to all the Lesbians, Dykes, Friends and/or Allies (cuz most of us can't just choose one).

For this Butch Dyke today is a sunshiney, laundry, bill paying kind of day, interspersed with much laughter, smiles and general all-around gaiety.

Feel free to stop and say hi or chat anytime. Everyone is of course welcome and all convos... anything goes from fluff to hard core... as long as you like Lesbians, Dykes and of course Alison Bechdel.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #145
luv2luvgirls
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Asshole

Thanked 5,470 Times in 1,827 Posts
luv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputation

cool thread! im tired of people labling me then when I dont fit in thier nice box of perception...wanna say im not what I know I am...ME

Flying my Freak Flag high and proud!!
luv2luvgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luv2luvgirls For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #146
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,357 Times in 4,172 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #147
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,106 Times in 15,673 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

Hi everyone!!!!!
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #148
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,357 Times in 4,172 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #149
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Weeeeeeeeee what a great thread!!!!!

Howdy all!!!!

I love the words/IDs/all of the above of Lesbian and Dykes.

All are hawt!!!!
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #150
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,939 Times in 13,921 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

I resonate with the word Dyke, FemmeDyke to be specific. I've been gay my whole life and never been a lesbian.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #151
oblivia
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married, treasured, and adored

Thanked 1,430 Times in 359 Posts
oblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
eel free to stop and say hi or chat anytime. Everyone is of course welcome and all convos... anything goes from fluff to hard core... as long as you like Lesbians, Dykes and of course Alison Bechdel.

Ummmm who's Alison Bechdel?
oblivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #152
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,409 Times in 4,660 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Good evening all

Old 08-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #153
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,106 Times in 15,673 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

Good Evening!!!!!
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #154
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivia View Post
Ummmm who's Alison Bechdel?

Alison Bechdel began keeping a journal at the age of ten, and has been assiduously archiving her own life and times with words and pictures ever since. For twenty-five years she wrote and drew the comic strip Dykes to Watch Out For, a generational chronicle considered “one of the preeminent oeuvres in the comics genre, period.” (Ms.)

She is also the author of the best-selling Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic, which won an Eisner Award and was a National Book Critics Circle Award Finalist. Time Magazine named Fun Home the number one Best Book of 2006, calling the memoir about her father, “A masterpiece about two people who live in the same house but different worlds, and their mysterious debts to each other.”

Fun Home and Dykes to Watch Out For have been translated into many languages. Bechdel has drawn comics for Slate, McSweeney’s, Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times Book Review, and Granta, among other places.

Bechdel lives near Burlington, Vermont.
http://dykestowatchoutfor.com/

Had to look it up. Didn't know either. Very interesting though. I think i'll look into getting one of her books.
Maya Angelou
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #155
oblivia
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:

oblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputationoblivia Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbelle View Post

Alison Bechdel began keeping a journal at the age of ten, and has been assiduously archiving her own life and times with words and pictures ever since. For twenty-five years she wrote and drew the comic strip Dykes to Watch Out For, a generational chronicle considered “one of the preeminent oeuvres in the comics genre, period.” (Ms.)

She is also the author of the best-selling Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic, which won an Eisner Award and was a National Book Critics Circle Award Finalist. Time Magazine named Fun Home the number one Best Book of 2006, calling the memoir about her father, “A masterpiece about two people who live in the same house but different worlds, and their mysterious debts to each other.”

Fun Home and Dykes to Watch Out For have been translated into many languages. Bechdel has drawn comics for Slate, McSweeney’s, Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times Book Review, and Granta, among other places.

Bechdel lives near Burlington, Vermont.
http://dykestowatchoutfor.com/

Had to look it up. Didn't know either. Very interesting though. I think i'll look into getting one of her books.

Wow!!!

I had no idea. Shows how little exposure I have had to so many parts of the lesbian community.

I came out as a lesbian when I was 19 years old. But I never really spent much time in the lesbian community, because I didn't feel like I belonged, which may be more a reflection of the particular bits of lesbian community I was exposed to at such a vulnerable point in my coming out process than on the lesbian community at large.

So, I'm sorta dipping my toe in... I've been calling myself a Queer Femme and not claiming the word lesbian since I found out that Femme was what I was. But I think I missed out on some stuff too.... so I'm going to peek in on y'all now and then... learn.... that sort of thing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oblivia For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #156
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivia View Post
Wow!!!

I had no idea. Shows how little exposure I have had to so many parts of the lesbian community.

I came out as a lesbian when I was 19 years old. But I never really spent much time in the lesbian community, because I didn't feel like I belonged, which may be more a reflection of the particular bits of lesbian community I was exposed to at such a vulnerable point in my coming out process than on the lesbian community at large.

So, I'm sorta dipping my toe in... I've been calling myself a Queer Femme and not claiming the word lesbian since I found out that Femme was what I was. But I think I missed out on some stuff too.... so I'm going to peek in on y'all now and then... learn.... that sort of thing.
Girl!!!!! I feel the same way!!!! I claimed "lesbian" when i came out to myself at least, oh so many years ago. I was so young and alone and didn't understand anything really.

What pushed me away from the word is the fact that, at least for me, TV, movies, etc, seem to portray lesbians as two apparent femmes. I thought, omg that is so not me, i'm attracted to butches, therefore i am not a lesbian. And then, like you, i found these sites and realized immediately that femme was something i could claim and become part of the butch femme scene.

The information of late that is being talked about here regarding the BV stuff has got me thinking more about it lately. I don't know anything about what is going on but it has opened a door, at least for me, to do some exploring. I left that word because of what...tv?

I am sticking my toe back in as well. I certainly think we both, and more maybe, could be missing a lot.

*hugs
Maya Angelou
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #157
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thank you Princessbelle for the info on Alison Bechdel. Yes she is the cartoonist for the classic lesbian comic strip "Dykes To Watch Out For." I looked it up and it ran from 1983-2008, so I basically grew up on it because yes I remember reading it in the 1980s when I was in college in Santa Cruz, CA. I am an old dyke who forgets not everyone has been immersed in lesbian culture like I have or is as old as me, lol.

"Leaping Lesbians" refers to a classic song by Meg Christian from the 1970s with Olivia Records, who also did other classics like "Ode to a Gym Teacher." This proves that Liam is an old fogey like me.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
The Following User Says Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 06:52 AM   #158
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,409 Times in 4,660 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
Thank you Princessbelle for the info on Alison Bechdel. Yes she is the cartoonist for the classic lesbian comic strip "Dykes To Watch Out For." I looked it up and it ran from 1983-2008, so I basically grew up on it because yes I remember reading it in the 1980s when I was in college in Santa Cruz, CA. I am an old dyke who forgets not everyone has been immersed in lesbian culture like I have or is as old as me, lol.

"Leaping Lesbians" refers to a classic song by Meg Christian from the 1970s with Olivia Records, who also did other classics like "Ode to a Gym Teacher." This proves that Liam is an old fogey like me.
Do I qualify as an old fogey? I had to order a new copy of Changer and The Changed a couple years ago because the old one was played to death.

BTW....if anyone wants any of her music, her own website is here...support the woman!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #159
oblivia
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbelle View Post
Girl!!!!! I feel the same way!!!! I claimed "lesbian" when i came out to myself at least, oh so many years ago. I was so young and alone and didn't understand anything really.

What pushed me away from the word is the fact that, at least for me, TV, movies, etc, seem to portray lesbians as two apparent femmes. I thought, omg that is so not me, i'm attracted to butches, therefore i am not a lesbian. And then, like you, i found these sites and realized immediately that femme was something i could claim and become part of the butch femme scene.

The information of late that is being talked about here regarding the BV stuff has got me thinking more about it lately. I don't know anything about what is going on but it has opened a door, at least for me, to do some exploring. I left that word because of what...tv?

I am sticking my toe back in as well. I certainly think we both, and more maybe, could be missing a lot.

*hugs
Exactly!!!! It's the BV stuff that has me thinking about the word "lesbian" all over again with a totally different perspective.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oblivia For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #160
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Thanked 11,917 Times in 2,700 Posts
Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation

Jovi Radtke

A local Sacramento Spoken Word Artist
I went to Mondo Bizarro to promote BV

I also secured Jovi a spot in the
BV National Conference for this month.

I look forward to more from Jovi, and sharing
the stage with so many other Talented Butches.