Old 02-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #21
WickedFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Very Happily Married to Bobbi46

WickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST ReputationWickedFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

This post has been bugging me for a few days and I cant figure out why.

First off, let me be clear. I do NOT have an issue with Glenn posting it. So Glenn please do not take this personally.

I have an issue with the words of this psychology professor i.e. "Jerkettes are breeding Jerkinas".

I keep trying to figure out why this feels icky to me.

I dont know if it is because I think it is an odd choice of words for a professor to use. It seems very unprofessional to me.

Or if it feels like the use of the word "breeding" and the "Jerkettes" which is making me think only women "breed" so to speak and "ettes" is a female thing. So is this professor calling women jerks? And, in turn, are they blaming women for what their assessment of what is happening to kids in the world?

Or, if it feels like the use of the word "jerkinas" is a derivation of a racial slur and the "ina" part refers to females so is it insulting to women of color? So, would this be directed at just minority persons?

Or, maybe I am in an overly analytical and sensitive mood today. Dunno. Anyone else find this professors choice of words troublesome??

My thoughts exactly. The professor needed to be called out on it by the students - it seems sexist and racist.
and what was the 'reference' to s/m? that was off as well.

On topic - I think with the internet there is increasing information that is accessible to more people than it used to be. Also, there is a change in 'culture' in response to increased media accessibility. In addition, I think that changes in our economic security is having an affect in that there have been many many cuts to public education, social services (mental health, etc).
WickedFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WickedFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #22
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,663 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedFemme View Post
My thoughts exactly. The professor needed to be called out on it by the students - it seems sexist and racist.
and what was the 'reference' to s/m? that was off as well.

On topic - I think with the internet there is increasing information that is accessible to more people than it used to be. Also, there is a change in 'culture' in response to increased media accessibility. In addition, I think that changes in our economic security is having an affect in that there have been many many cuts to public education, social services (mental health, etc).

Thank you for the reality check.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #23
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,124 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

put time limits on the use of the net .. as much as it is a plus and a way of living .. it also ruins the kids of today to be able to socialy interact. be respionsiable for your own actions so they can learn fromhow u handle a sensitive situation.. I work w. college age young adults and there r some marvoulous ppl comming up in this crazy world.. just my personal opinion
~ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ~ocean For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #24
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

This post has been bugging me for a few days and I cant figure out why.

First off, let me be clear. I do NOT have an issue with Glenn posting it. So Glenn please do not take this personally.

I have an issue with the words of this psychology professor i.e. "Jerkettes are breeding Jerkinas".

I keep trying to figure out why this feels icky to me.

I dont know if it is because I think it is an odd choice of words for a professor to use. It seems very unprofessional to me.

Or if it feels like the use of the word "breeding" and the "Jerkettes" which is making me think only women "breed" so to speak and "ettes" is a female thing. So is this professor calling women jerks? And, in turn, are they blaming women for what their assessment of what is happening to kids in the world?

Or, if it feels like the use of the word "jerkinas" is a derivation of a racial slur and the "ina" part refers to females so is it insulting to women of color? So, would this be directed at just minority persons?

Or, maybe I am in an overly analytical and sensitive mood today. Dunno. Anyone else find this professors choice of words troublesome??

i found this really troubling as well - more because usually biologically essentialist arguments about undesirable traits tend to get realllllly fucking ableist. and even that aside it comes off as rather sexist.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #25
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
There doesn’t appear to have been a whole lot of that sort of self-and-other awareness going on in George Huguely’s home. His father, George Huguely IV, described to a reporter by friends as a barfly, was accused by his ex-wife Marta of physically barging into the family home to reassert his dominion according to divorce court records acquired by Washingtonian magazine. George V, who beat his way through Love’s door before assaulting her on her last night, was a young boy at the time of that incident. On the morning of the murder, his former teammate later testified that George had started drinking while out playing golf with his father and was visibly intoxicated by the time they left the golf course. George later admitted to having at least 15 drinks on the day of the murder.

[B]In the wake of Love’s death, the Landon School embarked upon an extended period of “self-examination,” the Washington Post reported in 2010. The University of Virginia began a “Are you your sister’s or brother’s keeper?” awareness campaign, and students launched a program aimed at training their peers in recognizing and combating alcohol abuse and relationship violence. These are undoubtedly good things and will, one hopes, raise awareness in such a way that students in the future who see a friend veering down a self-destructive path will speak out to their teachers, coaches and school counselors. But the most meaningful intervention that could have changed the course of the lives of these two particular UVa students would have been for Huguely’s parents to have recognized the pathology making its way down the family line and to have forced their son to seek help while he was still a minor, and they still had the ability to do so.

Unfortunately, even today, few parents, particularly in the privileged and status-obsessed sorts of milieus in which Love and Huguely were raised, are willing to look hard at the ugly problems playing out amidst the hustle-bustle of their everyday family lives. No matter how much our awareness and knowledge of domestic violence and mental illness have evolved in recent decades, it’s still all too common to shrug off verbal abuse as Mommy or Daddy’s “bad mood.” Too easy to dismiss night after night of nonstop drinking as a way to “relax” after a hard work day. Too common still to shrug off unacceptable behavior — red flag sorts of behavior — as boys-will-be-boys hijinks.
i found this article interesting because i was in grad school at uva when love was killed and i lived directly across the street from her. i was just back in town visiting a couple of weeks ago when the trial started. i didn't know her, but our area and the entire uva campus were crawling with media afterward. at first (and sometimes even well after) the local media coverage was done in a way that was really victim-blaming and avoiding of placing blame on huguely. it made me really angry.

i don't feel that uva actually changed in a meaningful way after love died. there's a new on-campus initiative (student-run) called the white ribbon campaign to bring awareness to intimate partner violence, but it doesn't have a lot of visibility. as far as i know, a lot of the harmful traditions around binge drinking that uva has haven't changed at all (and there are a LOT - not to imply that drinking and ipv are always related but just to underscore the lack of, well, give-a-damn that seems to go on there with regards to creating an environment that's healthy for student). overall the feeling i've gotten being around uva after this incident has been mostly that it was a sad, isolated incident but it has no connection to anyone's day to day life. which isn't actually the case at all.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #26
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default A school day in Ohio brings shootings, death

CHARDON, Ohio (AP) — Teacher Joe Ricci had just begun class at his suburban Cleveland high school when he heard shots and slammed the door to his classroom, yelling, "Lockdown!" to students.

A few minutes later, he heard moaning outside, opened the door and pulled in student Nick Walczak who had been shot several times, according to a student whose sister was in Ricci's classroom.

In the end, a teenager who opened fire in the school's cafeteria on Monday killed one student and wounded four others before he was captured, authorities said.

The teen was identified as T.J. Lane by his family's lawyer, WKYC-TV in Cleveland reported.

FBI officials would not comment on a motive. And Police Chief Tim McKenna said authorities "have a lot of homework to do yet" in their investigation of the shooting, which sent students screaming through the halls at the start of the school day at 1,100-student Chardon High.

Two of the wounded were listed in critical condition, and another was in serious condition.

A news conference was planned for midmorning on Tuesday.

Gov. John Kasich has ordered flags at the Ohio Statehouse flown at half-staff in honor of slain student Daniel Parmertor. Flags in Geauga County will also be lowered.

Parmertor was an aspiring computer repairman who was waiting in the cafeteria for the bus for his daily 15-minute ride to a vocational school.

His teacher at the Auburn Career School had no idea why Parmertor, "a very good young man, very quiet," had been targeted, said Auburn superintendent Maggie Lynch.

"We are shocked by this senseless tragedy," Parmertor's family said in a statement. "Danny was a bright young boy who had a bright future ahead of him."

A student who saw the attack up close said it appeared that the gunman targeted a group of students sitting together and that the one who was killed was gunned down while trying to duck under a cafeteria table.

Lawyer Robert Farinacci, who is representing Lane and his family, told WKYC-TV that Lane's family was "devastated" by the shootings and offered their "most heartfelt and sincere condolences" to Parmertor's family. He said they also were praying for the wounded students.

When asked about Lane, Farinacci described him as "a fairly quiet and good kid" with grades that are "pretty impressive."

The FBI said the gunman was arrested near his car a half-mile from Chardon. He was not immediately charged.

An education official said the suspected shooter is a Lake Academy student, not a student at Chardon High. Brian Bontempo declined to answer any questions about the student. Bontempo is the superintendent of the Lake County Educational Service Center, which operates the academy.

The alternative school in Willoughby serves 7th through 12th grades. Students may have been referred to the school because of academic or behavioral problems, among other issues.

Long before official word came of the attack, parents learned of the bloodshed from students via text messages and cellphones. They thronged the streets around the school, anxiously awaiting word on their children.

Teachers locked down their classrooms as they had been trained to do during drills, and students took cover as they waited for the all-clear in this town of 5,100 people, 30 miles from Cleveland. One teacher chased the gunman out of the building, police said.

Fifteen-year-old Danny Komertz, who witnessed the shooting, said the gunman was known as an outcast who had apparently been bullied. But others disputed that.

"Even though he was quiet, he still had friends," said Tyler Lillash, 16. "He was not bullied."

Farinacci told the television station that Lane "pretty much sticks to himself but does have some friends and has never been in trouble over anything that we know about."

Komertz said he saw the shooter point a gun toward a group of four kids sitting at a table. The gunman fired two shots quickly, and students scrambled for safety. One of them was "trying to get underneath the table, trying to hide, protecting his face."

Officers investigating the shooting blocked off a road in a heavily wooded area several miles from the school. Federal agents patrolled the muddy driveway leading to several spacious homes and ponds, while other officers walked a snowy hillside. A police dog was brought in. It wasn't clear what they were looking for.

"Everybody just started running," said 17-year-old Megan Hennessy, who was in class when she heard loud noises. "Everyone was running and screaming down the hallway."

Rebecca Moser, 17, had just settled into her chemistry class when the school went into lockdown. The class of about 25 students ducked behind the lab tables at the back of the classroom, uncertain whether it was a drill.

Text messages started flying inside and outside the school, spreading information about what was happening and what friends and family were hearing outside the building.

"We all have cellphones, so people were constantly giving people updates — about what was going on, who the victims were, how they were doing," Moser said.

The school had no metal detectors, but current and past students said it had frequent security drills in case of a shooting.

Joe Bergant, Chardon school superintendent, said school was canceled Tuesday and grief counselors would be available to students and families.

"If you haven't hugged or kissed your kid in the last couple of days, take that time," he said.

___

http://news.yahoo.com/school-day-ohi...GVzdAM-;_ylv=3

Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 AM   #27
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default Coroner rules homicide after California girl dies from injuries in school fight

LONG BEACH, Calif. – The coroner's office ruled Monday that the death of a 10-year-old Southern California schoolgirl after a fight with another female student was a homicide.

Blunt force trauma to the head killed Joanna Ramos, who collapsed at home after a fight on Friday in Long Beach, coroner's Lt. Fred Corral says Monday.

He did not immediately have details about her injuries or the circumstances of her death.

The girl's older sister said Joanna died after surgery for a blood clot on the brain after the fight in an alley with an 11-year-old girl.

Joanna Ramos' mother rushed her to the hospital Friday evening after the girl began vomiting and complained of a headache, said Vanessa Urbina, 17, who was at the hospital with her sister.

Joanna was unconscious by the time she arrived at the emergency room, but hospital staff revived her three times before she went into surgery for the blood clot, Urbina told The Associated Press.

"They did surgery on her brain because she had a blood clot, and after surgery the doctor said she was still alive, and then a few minutes later he comes back and tells us that her heart stopped and they couldn't bring her back," Urbina said, crying as she sat on the steps of Willard Elementary School near a memorial of flowers and balloons.

In the hospital, "She was covered up, you could only see her face," Urbina said.

Joanna was pronounced dead at 9 p.m. Friday, about six hours after she and another 11-year-old girl had a pre-planned fight near the school.

No arrests have been made.

The circumstances left family, friends and authorities seeking answers.

There were seven witnesses to the fight, which lasted less than a minute, police said. It didn't involve any weapons and no one was knocked to the ground.

Detectives have interviewed family and friends of both girls, but there is no indication that Joanna was bullied, police said.

"I personally don't hear of 11-year-old fights like this, especially girls. I can't say they never happen but I think everyone was completely caught off-guard by this event," police spokeswoman Nancy Pratt said Sunday.

Joanna returned to her after-school program after the fight, where her friend saw her with blood on her knuckles from wiping at a bloody nose, said Cristina Perez, the friend's mother.

Perez said her daughter, who is 10, heard about plans for the fight during recess earlier in the day and knew to stay away from the alley after school.

"We've just got to pay more attention to our kids too, not just dropping them off at the school. I'm always on my daughter, always," Perez, 30, said as she gathered with other concerned mothers outside the school Monday. "I tell her, `You see a fight (and) you stay away from it."'

Perez and other mothers outside the school said their children told them the fight was over a boy.

"They took off their backpacks, and they put their hair in a bun, and then that's when they said `go' and that's when they started hitting each other," Joanna's friend and classmate Maggie Martinez, who watched the fight, told KNBC.

Martinez and other friends said they tried to stop the fight, but were held back by boys who were watching and wanted it to continue.

Worried parents gathered at the school after dropping off their children to look at a memorial of flowers, balloons and drawings dedicated to Joanna and to read a letter distributed by the principal about the fight. A sheriff's deputy lingered in the background and a police car circled the block, monitoring the activity.

Mother Victoria Pyles said her daughter had started classes at the school last week after the family moved to the neighborhood. Her daughter likes the school, Pyles said, but now she isn't sure whether to leave her there.

"This is her third day here and this is happening and I'm just so confused at this moment, thinking should I take my daughter out of this school," Pyles said. "If this is what is going on, I don't like it. It's very scary."

Urbina, Joanna's sister, remembered her sibling as a happy child who liked to sing, dance and watch soap operas and loved having her hair curled by her older sister. She had asked Urbina to curl her hair for her birthday on March 12, and had asked her parents to take the whole family to an amusement park to celebrate.

"She was so young for this to happen" Urbina said. "She was so happy and so many people loved her."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/27...#ixzz1nfjMJ61q

The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post: