Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #41
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Thanked 2,376 Times in 616 Posts
blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puplove View Post
o
And, I can carry hundreds of books with me everywhere I go, just in case I have some waiting time.

From now on, when Blush and I have femme nights, they will consist of us sitting on the couch reading from our Kindles. We can take a break and text each other once in a while.
And Goof and Oiler can bring us groceries.

I love the portability of the kindle. And the fact that no one knows what I'm reading.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blush For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 02:39 AM   #42
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,797 Times in 3,940 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

I do not have a Kindle. I want a Kindle! In the meantime, I use the free Kindle app for computers. Somewhere, there is a Kindle that needs me!
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 04:10 AM   #43
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I do not have a Kindle. I want a Kindle! In the meantime, I use the free Kindle app for computers. Somewhere, there is a Kindle that needs me!
I do the same thing and then lug the lap top into bed for a nice long reading session.

A thought about books, real books. I have tons of them making up a small library. I used to be proud of that until I found out little critters get into them. I do not know what kind they are but it grosses me out. I have never seen one only read about them.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #44
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Cool Two sticks rubbed........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
ok.. so.. I thought this was another Firewood lovers thread...

Me too Jess, I had Oliver Twist here to clean my chimney before Christmas, so, thought I'd see some burning posts. Yahoooooo
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #45
PinkieLee

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
I need ya boo, gotta see ya boo

Thanked 13,086 Times in 3,051 Posts
PinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST Reputation

Another Kindle fan here!

I've been oohing & ahhing over it for about 6 months, but just never thought about buying it for myself. Like many others, I loved the feel of a book in my hands. Luckily for me, my honey bought me the Kindle and I absolutely LOVE it!

Y'all are right, it's much easier to read, my wrist doesn't hurt from holding a bulky book in bed and the download versions are quite bit cheaper!

My first book I bought was "The girl with the dragon tattoo". It retails for about $15 and the Kindle version was only $5! SCORE! Then I found the FREE downloads, and got "Fireflys in Decemeber".

My honey won an iPad at her company Christmas party, and we've become addicted to the Scrabble game ~ yes, we have Scrabble matches everynight before bed. One day I picked up my Kindle, and found that she had dowloaded the Scrabble game to my Kindle, too... so I could play if she was hoggin' the iPad. It's the same design, just not in color.
PinkieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PinkieLee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #46
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,879 Times in 2,477 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I've had my Kindle for almost a year now. I have really, really enjoyed it and it's gotten me back to one of my very first loves.....reading!!

I initially started to consider a Kindle when my eyes started getting so bad, I could hardly see anything up close, and I'm nearsighted!! I bought reading glasses....a whole bunch of them, at Costco, and I couldn't even keep track of those!! So, when I first heard about the Kindle, I found out that you could enlarge the text as much as you wanted and that clinched the deal for me!!!

My Kindle has 3G Wireless and I'm happy with it. I think it's the 2nd Generation one, but I'm seriously happy with it. I ended up buying my best friend, Irene, the latest generation Kindle for her birthday, this past October and she tells me that she can't put it down!!!

I've always wanted to read more of the "classics" and this is another reason I love my Kindle. I can download those for free!!!

~Theo~
Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #47
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,618 Times in 1,559 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

I am a vehement book lover with 1000's of books at home and also a kindle-convert!

I thought I would hate it, I thought I would miss turning pages, that it would be like an extension of my laptop, that it would hurt my eyes...
All untrue. I absolutely love it.

Echoing what others have said:

It is so light! I can read one-handed in bed, standing in a queue, cooking dinner ... and I do! When I read the Millennium Trilogy I didn't go anywhere without my kindle and I read every possible moment I could.

It is so small - it does fit in my handbag. I love that. I don't have to tote around a bigger bag to accommodate my reading habit. I often bring it to work and read during my lunch break, I bring it to appointments when I know I will be waiting....I bring it everywhere.

The lightness and small size make it so convenient to travel with - I can have 100s of books to hand when I am in an airport, on the beach or stuck off in the middle of nowhere for a few days.

It holds its battery charge for a very long time. I only bring my kindle charger if I am traveling more than a week and know I will be reading a lot. I rarely need it.

I can preview books before buying them to see if I think they will be to my taste.

I do still love my physical books.

And I will continue to buy *special* books like first editions, special/rare copies of classics and art books. But the kindle allows me to enjoy so many more books without worries of what I will do with it after I finish. And I can edit my physical library to only include those books that are very special to me.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #48
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I love books. I love the feel of books. I love the smell of books.

My most wonderful love bought me a Kindle for Christmas...OMG I absolutely LOVE my new Kindle!
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #49
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,130 Times in 6,413 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

The most awesome Nora Roberts addresses Copyright Infringement.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #50
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Enjoy your new gadget!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #51
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
mouthy but adorable; kinky Gerbera
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

So far, I adore my new Kindle (Latest Generation) with 3G access.

I struggled with whether or not to purchase it--and batted around with whether to buy a Nook or a Kindle...and then what kind of Kindle. In the end, speed (especially with booting-up) and battery life won and I went with the Kindle.

I've been enjoying my new toy for over a week now; I'm surprised at how easy it is on my eyes... I'm not sure if it's the contrast (i.e. darker background than most paperbacks), but the reading experience seems to be easier on my eyes--which allows me to read for longer amounts of time without that nagging eye strain.

I was worried that I would miss the tactile experience of a paper book, but I was surprised that I didn't... Well, I do have plenty of paper books--and not every book is available via Kindle, so I think I'm safe from completely letting go of all my hard copies.

I highly recommend the 3G--especially if you travel a lot or are regularly in areas where wi-fi may not be readily available. I adore "sampling" and then either discarding or buying--it's like having an entire library at my fingertips!

My only criticism may seem persnickety (and shared by others): the publishing system that Kindle uses is inferior to Nook's... This means that sometimes proper nouns aren't capitalized and other editorial faux pas. But, hey, typographical errors are in most manuscripts...

Happy Kindling, ya'll!

Hold on to the lessons, let go of the pain.
--Leslie Feinberg
daisygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #52
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygrrl View Post
So far, I adore my new Kindle (Latest Generation) with 3G access.

I struggled with whether or not to purchase it--and batted around with whether to buy a Nook or a Kindle...and then what kind of Kindle. In the end, speed (especially with booting-up) and battery life won and I went with the Kindle.

I've been enjoying my new toy for over a week now; I'm surprised at how easy it is on my eyes... I'm not sure if it's the contrast (i.e. darker background than most paperbacks), but the reading experience seems to be easier on my eyes--which allows me to read for longer amounts of time without that nagging eye strain.

I was worried that I would miss the tactile experience of a paper book, but I was surprised that I didn't... Well, I do have plenty of paper books--and not every book is available via Kindle, so I think I'm safe from completely letting go of all my hard copies.

I highly recommend the 3G--especially if you travel a lot or are regularly in areas where wi-fi may not be readily available. I adore "sampling" and then either discarding or buying--it's like having an entire library at my fingertips!

My only criticism may seem persnickety (and shared by others): the publishing system that Kindle uses is inferior to Nook's... This means that sometimes proper nouns aren't capitalized and other editorial faux pas. But, hey, typographical errors are in most manuscripts...

Happy Kindling, ya'll!
Improper capitalization? That would be a deciding factor for me. Not persnickety at all, that would be major annoying.

Glad you are enjoying. Kindle on!
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #53
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,449 Times in 369 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation

I have a kindle; it's honestly one of the best gifts I ever received. I wasn't sure, at first how I'd feel about it (it's just not the same as a book, you know?) but I do so adore it. I've got over 600 books on there, now, most of which I've already breezed through.

And, FWIW, I've never seen a typographical error in a purchased kindle book, and if I do come across one, I'm more likely than not to return it.
Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Selenay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #54
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Does anyone have any experience with Kindle in Canada?

Or any advice on other E-readers?

We want one and not sure what way to go..
Old 04-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #55
DamonK

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 7,762 Times in 1,881 Posts
DamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST Reputation

I'm one of the odd folks.

I actually have a Nook.

I love it. I've got the internet and all.

The Kindle wasn't bad, but in comparison *to me* was much bigger than the Nook.

For me, the deciding factor was the ability to borrow from the library (which the Kindle did not have at the time of my purchase) and the ability to download my textbooks.

DamonK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DamonK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #56
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

I'm in Florida, so can't help you on the Canada thing....but I love, love, love my Kindle.

It runs forever on a single (fast) charge, is easy on my eyes (very important....other e-readers have way too much glare for my diabetic eyes), and is easy to use.

I love to read, and the advantages of the Kindle are huge to me...I'm never without a book, have a bookstore anywhere I have wi-fi, can browse and read a few chapters of anything I want for free, my book ratings lead to recommendations of things I might (and generally do) like, can change the font to a size that's easy on my eyes, never lose my page....so many things.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #57
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thank you.

We are leaning towards the Kindle but being in Canada things are different here as far as what you can download.

I saw the issue about Kindle not being library compatible but other than textbooks none of the ebooks available at libraries interests me.

The shipping and import taxes add about 40.00 to the price to ship a Kindle so when I am in the states soon, I may stop and just pick one up. I may also check out the Nook at B&N.

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #58
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Sassy I love my Color Nook! I am posting from it right now while at work. It is much easier to tote around than my laptop and a great deal lighter. I have had it since Christmas and still have yet to truly explore all of the fun things about it. I like the ability to borrow from the library and it has a Lend feature I have yet to try out. When things slow down as far as my classes go I will explore more of the features my Nook has to offer. My suggestion would be to look at all of the e-readers that are out and find what works best for all of you.
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #59
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_girl View Post
Thank you.

We are leaning towards the Kindle but being in Canada things are different here as far as what you can download.

I saw the issue about Kindle not being library compatible but other than textbooks none of the ebooks available at libraries interests me.

The shipping and import taxes add about 40.00 to the price to ship a Kindle so when I am in the states soon, I may stop and just pick one up. I may also check out the Nook at B&N.

Thanks for the info!
The library borrowing is still an issue at the moment, but Kindle will be lending books from the library shortly....so I'm looking forward to that!
Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #60
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJo View Post
The library borrowing is still an issue at the moment, but Kindle will be lending books from the library shortly....so I'm looking forward to that!
Yes and I hope they expand the selection because what I found was not all that impressive.

Tags
ebook, kindle