Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Thanked 2,376 Times in 616 Posts
blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation
Default Kindling

I just got the new Kindle. After years of lack-luster, mostly-for-work reading, I now find myself reading constantly! I can't put it down!

Now, I debated for quite awhile about the "authenticity" of books vs. an ereader. I LOVE bookstores and frequently sniffed at people who stared at screens all day. But...I wasn't reading for enjoyment until I got my Kindle.

So, this is the place to debate Kindle vs. books.
This is the place for tips/new reads/free reads.
This is the place to tell your Kindle horror stories.
This is the place to tell your Kindle love stories.

And anything else we come up with...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to blush For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible, but only up to a point.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,701 Times in 737 Posts
Julien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST Reputation

I just got a Kindle too. I love it. Considering the amount of books I read, I think that this ereader is a great asset. I find I read faster, but that may be because I can change the font size.

“Self-plagiarism is style.” Alfred Hitchcock

Formerly known as Graphiteta2s
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphiteta2s View Post
I just got a Kindle too. I love it. Considering the amount of books I read, I think that this ereader is a great asset. I find I read faster, but that may be because I can change the font size.
I seem to read faster too. I also like the bar at the bottom that gives you the percentage you've read!
The Following User Says Thank You to blush For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

ok.. so.. I thought this was another Firewood lovers thread...
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Lol! Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

me too

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

Well that makes four of us! I saw it this morning and wondered what is so fun about creating a fire. Then just now curiosity got the best of me....LOL

I am thinking of buying one. Books that I love tend to be heavy and with a herniated disc in my neck the Kindle would be the way to go....
Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Goofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I did too. And I was sitting next to her when she started it LOL
Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I was thinking about getting a cover with a built in light, but Medusa said she'd read that they can crack the front! I do think it would be nice if they were backlit, but I understand they are hard on your eyes and the battery life sucks.

There is a sharing program available now!
I got my brother-in-law a cover for his without the light. I did a bit of research on the covers and found that most that got one with a light in it said it really wasn't worth the money because it created a glare more than anything on the screen and drained the battery life way fast.

Now there was a website that I ran across that had 1,000's of Kindle books on it where you could download it for free. Hmm, I should go searching my bookmarks to see if I can find it again.
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

So I guess I'm "old school" about this....I love the feel of a book in my hands....with that in mind, I have not entertained the idea of a Kindle....

Tell me why I should get one, please......

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #11
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Ooooops! So sorry. Thought this thread was about this:

....which, if you heat with wood, is as good as gold.
suebee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suebee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Lol! Same here.
....and I see I'm not alone. lol
suebee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suebee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #13
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

June is nasty.

So. When You buy the books, do they store in Your kindle? Or are they lost forever? Like June's cake....

Old 01-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #14
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Goofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST Reputation

I got blush the cover with the light. She likes to read before going to sleep, and the small amount of light that comes from it makes it easier on me. Any battery drain on it seems minimal, especially considering the thing will last for nearly a month on a single charge. She hasn't mentioned any issues with glare.

Janey, it is amazingly small and light. And with the cover on it, you can still get that book feel (well, almost). I like to read without my glasses sometimes, and the Kindle is good for this since you can adjust the font size (not that I've been able to get ahold of it, mind you). There are also a ton of books available for free. I'm not sure how many books are on it now, but I don't think she's paid over $5 for any of them.

I've barely been able to pry it out of her hands since Christmas. I even caught her with her toothbrush in one hand and the Kindle in the other.

I'm sure she'll come in here later and wax poetic about it some more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #15
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
June is nasty.

So. When You buy the books, do they store in Your kindle? Or are they lost forever? Like June's cake....

They're there until you decide you don't want them to be there anymore. But they hold an INSANE number of books...3,000 or something like that.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #16
Sam
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 2/11/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
I'll let you know

Sam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST ReputationSam Has the BEST Reputation

i will say this, only cause you know "us" haha

kelle is like you. old school, hard/soft covers.

when Avery couldnt fit in his car seat after yard saling last october, i ordered her the Kindle.

the books were read and they are now gone.

there are tons of free sites that you can load books from, but opening my email today i see shes ordering books for plastic surgery since of course Avery will be having revisions in the next couple years.

So yeah, its time to break down. the black is supposed to be easier on the eyes, got her a cover for xmas too.

i'm glad after 6 years i did SOMETHING right

Now if i can master my IPad, all things would be great

Quote:
So I guess I'm "old school" about this....I love the feel of a book in my hands....with that in mind, I have not entertained the idea of a Kindle....

Tell me why I should get one, please......

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #17
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Quote:
June is nasty.

The books download directly to your kindle. It takes about 10 secs. Many books are free based on length of copyright. It holds a bazillion books. Exactly.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #18
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

The 'green" aspect of the kindle also appealed to me. I loved the idea that you could get books and NOT have to cut down trees.

It also saves on space, as Sam seems to have found out.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #19
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Now if i can master my IPad, all things would be great
You can give me the iPad. I'll master it and send it back to you. Promise.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #20
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by blush View Post
The books download directly to your kindle. It takes about 10 secs. Many books are free based on length of copyright. It holds a bazillion books. Exactly.

Wow.

So You don't miss the feel of the pages or the cover of the book? <sigh>

Tags
ebook, kindle