Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Thanked 13,995 Times in 3,685 Posts
JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation

So, I wanted to share a family recipe that I have been discussing lately because of the holidays.

My grandmother always made Scandinavian egg cake for Christmas morning. It is everyone's favorite holiday treat. My grandmother once explained to me that this recipe was used to take up the bread that was going dry and stale.

Heat 2 cups of milk in a pan till it is almost boiling then remove from the heat.

Break up and slowly add 8 to 12 slices of bread (we uses plain white bread, but any bread you like could work) and beat with a whisk until smooth, it should be a thin paste consistency.

Add 8 to 12 eggs, one egg at a time, mixing with the whisk until the mixture is viscous.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Spread 1 lb crumbled sausage or bacon cooked with a diced onion in the bottom of a standard cake pan.

Pour the egg batter over top of the meat and place sliced of tomato on top of the batter.

Bake in a 350 for about 30 min, until a knife comes out clean in the center.

Add cheese to the top of the cake with 10 minutes left to bake.

Cut and serve hot.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLovelyJenn View Post
So, I wanted to share a family recipe that I have been discussing lately because of the holidays.

My grandmother always made Scandinavian egg cake for Christmas morning. It is everyone's favorite holiday treat. My grandmother once explained to me that this recipe was used to take up the bread that was going dry and stale.

Heat 2 cups of milk in a pan till it is almost boiling then remove from the heat.

Break up and slowly add 8 to 12 slices of bread (we uses plain white bread, but any bread you like could work) and beat with a whisk until smooth, it should be a thin paste consistency.

Add 8 to 12 eggs, one egg at a time, mixing with the whisk until the mixture is viscous.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Spread 1 lb crumbled sausage or bacon cooked with a diced onion in the bottom of a standard cake pan.

Pour the egg batter over top of the meat and place sliced of tomato on top of the batter.

Bake in a 350 for about 30 min, until a knife comes out clean in the center.

Add cheese to the top of the cake with 10 minutes left to bake.

Cut and serve hot.
Thank you Jenn! I am going to make this over the weekend I need a brunch dish for Sunday.

What kind of cheese do you suggest?

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation
Default Thai Peanut Sauce

I finally got around to making my Thai Peanut Sauce and thought I would share the recipe with you all

1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tbls curry powder
1 tbls dried parsley
1 tsp dried ginger (a bit more if fresh)
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water

The choice of meat and vegetables I pair with this dish depend on what I have on hand and what is in season. Today I used thin sliced beef cut into strips and parsnips, carrots, zucchini, and celery. I steam the vegetables, adding the beef near the end so I can cook using as little oil as possible, once the vegetables and meat are cooked through I pour in the sauce and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Serve over white rice and garnish with sesame seeds and red peppers to taste.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLovelyJenn View Post
I finally got around to making my Thai Peanut Sauce and thought I would share the recipe with you all

1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tbls curry powder
1 tbls dried parsley
1 tsp dried ginger (a bit more if fresh)
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water

The choice of meat and vegetables I pair with this dish depend on what I have on hand and what is in season. Today I used thin sliced beef cut into strips and parsnips, carrots, zucchini, and celery. I steam the vegetables, adding the beef near the end so I can cook using as little oil as possible, once the vegetables and meat are cooked through I pour in the sauce and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Serve over white rice and garnish with sesame seeds and red peppers to taste.
Jenn thank you for posting this recipe. I am sure that this is going to be one that will be a big hit with our foodies. Just a side not to anyone with kids who wants to get them to eat more vegetables, I have had a lot of success peanut sauce and kids. Its a familiar flavor so much like cheese sauce, many kids take to it easily.

― Rumi

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Good Day Delicious People

What are yall up to?

Coffee drinkers, tell us what you are drinking

Readers, drop in and post a hello. let us know who you are. Posters aka delicioustarians, did you have any note worthy
foodie moments this weeked?

― Rumi

Old 12-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Welcome back Delicious people!

Whats cooking?

― Rumi

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
Good Day Delicious People

What are yall up to?

Coffee drinkers, tell us what you are drinking

Readers, drop in and post a hello. let us know who you are. Posters aka delicioustarians, did you have any note worthy
foodie moments this weeked?
this girl likes coffee

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
Welcome back Delicious people!

Whats cooking?
I have a new project!!! I need to change my diet in a house where I am responsible for the cooking, but no one but me is willing to eat healthy. SOO... its time to invest in some storage dishes and start experimenting with homemade tv dinners!!

I want things that will freeze and reheat easily, but that I can cook from scratch to control what is in them. This way I can cook whatever it is they all want to eat, and just pull mine out of the freezer and heat it up.

I have a few ideas, but I am always looking for a few more (keep in mind I am lactose intolerant).

So far on my list...
Thai Peanut Chicken (I really do love that one)
Black beans and rice
Southwest steak soup
Eggplant Parmesan (I use a goats or sheeps milk cheese option)
Lemongrass pork stir fry with noodles

I would really like a variety of tastes and a few more soups... what ideas do you have?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Kitten.With.A.Twist

How Do You Identify?:
Born Femme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Is "Darlin'" a pronoun?

Kitten.With.A.Twist Has the BEST ReputationKitten.With.A.Twist Has the BEST ReputationKitten.With.A.Twist Has the BEST ReputationKitten.With.A.Twist Has the BEST ReputationKitten.With.A.Twist Has the BEST ReputationKitten.With.A.Twist Has the BEST ReputationKitten.With.A.Twist Has the BEST ReputationKitten.With.A.Twist Has the BEST ReputationKitten.With.A.Twist Has the BEST ReputationKitten.With.A.Twist Has the BEST ReputationKitten.With.A.Twist Has the BEST Reputation
Default Do you have Xmas Eve (or Day) Food 'traditions'?

My world has changed a bit from the kids/family even that it used to be and I'm thinking of starting a few new 'traditions' - no time like the present!

Do you/your family have special foods that really "make" the holidays for you?

Inquiring Kittens wish to know!

Kitten.With.A.Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kitten.With.A.Twist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Welcome Kitten!

Great question. I am sure that our foodies and visitors will enjoy answering.

For me, half of my ancestry came from Italy and prepared a Christmas eve feast that involves many seafood dishes. I have continued this ritual though not as elaborate as what I recall.

I am in the process of starting some new rituals this holiday. This should be fun.

― Rumi

Old 12-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Ursy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten.With.A.Twist View Post
My world has changed a bit from the kids/family even that it used to be and I'm thinking of starting a few new 'traditions' - no time like the present!

Not a foodie tradition, but I started a tradition where there would be a photo ornament frame of me, Kris and Bek on the tree, one for every year we were together. This ended when he transitioned and didn't want any reminders of his "old self" around the house, but damn I love that idea.
Ursy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ursy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Like Sun, I am Italian...Christmas Eve is just NOT Christmas Eve without the seafood! We usually spend the eve in a huge family gathering but even on the few occasions when we've just had a quiet evening at home, the meal has GOT to be fish and seafood. It's a tradition that has existed for decades...and the holiday wouldn't be the same for me without it.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post
Like Sun, I am Italian...Christmas Eve is just NOT Christmas Eve without the seafood! We usually spend the eve in a huge family gathering but even on the few occasions when we've just had a quiet evening at home, the meal has GOT to be fish and seafood. It's a tradition that has existed for decades...and the holiday wouldn't be the same for me without it.
Hi always,

Do you change up the seafood every year or pretty much stay consistent with the selection? Just curious. I have to make different choices depending on which coast I am on. I was raised in a waterfront village on the Atlantic shore so we had plenty of good shellfish during holiday season. That same seafood is not the same once it is shipped to the West coast so I make some changes.

― Rumi

Old 12-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #15
ArtistLady

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Single

ArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST ReputationArtistLady Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I am southern and it seems to be a requirement (around here anyway) that you visit as much extended family as possible during the holidays. So my "immediate" extended family (hmmm that's confusing isn't it?) always get together for breakfast on Christmas morning. It just would not be the same without the piles of fresh fruit, buttermilk biscuits, sausage gravy, ham, bacon, eggs, and sweet rolls. Along with everyone trying to talk at once. lol
ArtistLady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ArtistLady For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #16
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistLady View Post
I am southern and it seems to be a requirement (around here anyway) that you visit as much extended family as possible during the holidays. So my "immediate" extended family (hmmm that's confusing isn't it?) always get together for breakfast on Christmas morning. It just would not be the same without the piles of fresh fruit, buttermilk biscuits, sausage gravy, ham, bacon, eggs, and sweet rolls. Along with everyone trying to talk at once. lol
Welcome Artist Lady

I think that many people all over the country must be having a southern Christmas morning! That sounds like my kind of breakfast.

It would be a lot of fun if we all posted one holiday dish recipe.

― Rumi

Old 12-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Ami and I have whatever we feel like cooking. LOL Our tree was up, until the cat decided she liked the light bulbs and began systematically to crunch them in her precious lil jaws... So we haz smaller tree, that will go where her teeth can not reach! Problem solved, and as we have another tree on the porch, the collectables will go on it. Voila' life is ever changing, we will survive., and so will the cat
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #18
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Ursy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST Reputation

Here you go Lusciouskiwi

Chilled avocado soup
http://startcooking.com/blog/238/Avocado-Soup

It's super easy.

As for an avocado substitute, you might get something texturally similar from a can of chick peas (drained, and mashed). But flavour-wise, I don't know if there's anything like it.

I like the flavour of chickpeas too, they're just different - kind of nutty.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ursy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #19
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

I was thinking of chilled soups, and it occurred to me that the raw food movement would have a lot of recipes, so I did a little googling and came up with this page: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/rawfo...up-Recipes.htm

Some of these look really good - and all of them would be so healthy.

Wishing Kris was more of a soup lover right now!

Edited to add: the google search I did was - raw food soup - just in case you wanted to do some further exploring
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ursy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #20
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

I don't have a juicer and would love one. Fresh juice hmmmmmmm! There's a deal on with Groupon Malaysia for a juicer, it would be around $65.00. If anyone can give me feedback I'd really appreciate it

http://www.groupon.my/deals/national..._2&a=715827970

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post: