Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 07-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

Thanked 3,220 Times in 753 Posts
ScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST Reputation
Default First Synthetic Organ Transplant

The first synthetic organ transplant has been performed using an "organ scaffold" made of glass, coated with stem cells. Partial text and link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14047670

Surgeons in Sweden have carried out the world's first synthetic organ transplant.

Scientists in London created an artificial windpipe which was then coated in stem cells from the patient.

Crucially, the technique does not need a donor, and there is no risk of the organ being rejected. The surgeons stress a windpipe can also be made within days.

The key to the latest technique is modelling a structure or scaffold that is an exact replica of the patient's own windpipe, removing the need for a donor organ.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandalAndy View Post
The first synthetic organ transplant has been performed using an "organ scaffold" made of glass, coated with stem cells. Partial text and link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14047670

Surgeons in Sweden have carried out the world's first synthetic organ transplant.

Scientists in London created an artificial windpipe which was then coated in stem cells from the patient.

Crucially, the technique does not need a donor, and there is no risk of the organ being rejected. The surgeons stress a windpipe can also be made within days.

The key to the latest technique is modelling a structure or scaffold that is an exact replica of the patient's own windpipe, removing the need for a donor organ.

That is just insanely great.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

ScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST Reputation

I have a friend whose son is the recipient of a heart transplant. She's hoping for great strides by the time he's out of elementary school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadgeek View Post
That is just insanely great.

Cheers
Aj
Old 07-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
PaPa

How Do You Identify?:
GQ Butch Daddy
Relationship Status:
A Very Protective BIG Daddy...

Thanked 5,873 Times in 1,530 Posts
PaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST Reputation

Amazing! Thanks for sharing this story!!
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaPa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
Amazing! Thanks for sharing this story!!

Any time! I'm always down for a neat science link!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

The French Canadian surgeon who is operating on Rosie's sister is pressing stem cells, and using a cadaver transplant. I am not sure of what is going to happen next month. I think science is changing so very fast. I hope and pray that one day we will have no need for any threads like this. Cancer and other diseases just suck big time.

Thank you for letting us know about this news. How wonderful!
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
lionpaw

How Do You Identify?:
very married lesbian couple-there are two of us that use this site

Thanked 1,579 Times in 517 Posts
lionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputation

That's great to hear!....It makes me want to go back on the web and do further research....I was once studying about scaffolding for artificial livers many years ago....
lionpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lionpaw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionpaw View Post
That's great to hear!....It makes me want to go back on the web and do further research....I was once studying about scaffolding for artificial livers many years ago....
That's really awesome!! If you do check it out and find out anything else, would you be so kind as to post it here?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
lionpaw

How Do You Identify?:

lionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputationlionpaw Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
That's really awesome!! If you do check it out and find out anything else, would you be so kind as to post it here?
I sure will....At the time, the need for donor livers exceeded what was available....Since the liver is the only organ that is capable of regeneration they were trying to use the hepatocytes to grow onto(?) or was that within(?) the scaffolding....The difficulty was the material used for the scaffolding (I believe )that was problematic at that time...
Old 07-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
lionpaw

How Do You Identify?:

Well, I think I found a site that might be worth looking at insofar as scaffolding and creating a suitable human liver for transplantation....The site is: www.medpage.com

It appears like they are onto something....The vascular architecture of the liver is very complicated to replicate via biomedical engineering.....The seeding of the scaffold, how many millions of hepatocytes are needed for a successful regeneration, and successful transplantion---simply enormous....
Old 07-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionpaw View Post
Well, I think I found a site that might be worth looking at insofar as scaffolding and creating a suitable human liver for transplantation....The site is: www.medpage.com

It appears like they are onto something....The vascular architecture of the liver is very complicated to replicate via biomedical engineering.....The seeding of the scaffold, how many millions of hepatocytes are needed for a successful regeneration, and successful transplantion---simply enormous....

I think there's something missing from the link. I see the main medpage homepage but am having trouble figuring out where to navigate to for that particular article.

That was something I was curious about too, regenerating organs requiring vascular structure. It's my understanding that the windpipe, being cartilagenous, is largely exempt from the necessity of regular, abundant blood flow. It seems it would be fairly impossible to regenerate an organ requiring erythrocyte pathways to match exactly.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
lionpaw

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
I think there's something missing from the link. I see the main medpage homepage but am having trouble figuring out where to navigate to for that particular article.

That was something I was curious about too, regenerating organs requiring vascular structure. It's my understanding that the windpipe, being cartilagenous, is largely exempt from the necessity of regular, abundant blood flow. It seems it would be fairly impossible to regenerate an organ requiring erythrocyte pathways to match exactly.

I want to add more to this discussion, but I have some things to do...I will be back later....Sorry about the link.....