Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,663 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default How much is your privacy worth? Google offering to pay web users to track their every move

Supposedly there is an overwhelming response for 25 buck windfall under plan 1 and a whopping $340 proposed under plan 2.

So, the question begs to be asked......would you give up your privacy for money? If you would, how much is losing your privacy worth to you?

Hopefully some of the tech geeks will see this and enlighten us as to what exactly we are giving away here and what the implications of this might be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Less than a month after announcing a controversial new privacy policy that shares user data across all its sites with no opt-out option, Google is introducing a system to monitor all online activity of those who participate in a program called Screenwise. In exchange for unrestricted access to information on your every online move, the search and software giant is offering financial compensation.

By signing up for Screenwise and installing a browser plugin (only Google Chrome is supported at present), you'll be given $5 in store credit on Amazon. For every three months you continue to provide Google with browsing data, you'll earn an addition $5 gift card, up to a total of $25. Only those over 13 can participate and, perhaps not surprisingly, signups are currently on hold due to overwhelming interest.

For those willing to make their online lives a completely open book, Google plans to offer a more elaborate tracking system that utilizes special hardware. The device, which connects to your broadband router, will monitor the online activity of all computers in your home. This program, which isn't available yet, will compensate participants $100 for signing up and $20 a month for up to a year.

While the idea of getting paid to browse the web might sound win-win, it's important to note that Screenwise will track private browsing data in its Chrome extension (though supposedly won't link it to you directly) and will share data with third-parties should you opt for the hardware-based option.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,163 Times in 2,006 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

I don't even really like to think about how nothing is really private online. All of your identification, much of your medical history, credit scores, sites you visit, what you buy, books you read it is all there. However, I would never knowingly sell access to my online browsing for even a few thousand dollars. The most provacative site I visit is this one, my favorite. I still like to pretend where I go online is private.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

they'd have to be paying me way more than that to be able to track all the things i do. however i'm not even certain i could participate because for some of my work i deal with sensitive mental health and other health/disability information and stories from people that i don't have permission to share.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation
Cool

I would do this in a heartbeat. Looks like I'm not the only one though because their site says they have more applicants than research panelist positions.

I am under no illusions that I have some sort of expectation of privacy anywhere, let alone on-line - while I always do all of the things we're supposed to to protect ourselves by using "friends only" settings, strong passwords, etc, I've always had the personal policy of never saying or posting anything I am not OK with the whole world reading &/or seeing - so if I can get paid while someone follows my browsing movements, then coolio.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
deeperstill

How Do You Identify?:
femme

deeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputationdeeperstill Has the BEST Reputation
Default Judgmental? Yup, and proud of it

I hear young people say over and over, I have no privacy anyway, so why does it matter?
By the time they figure it out it will be too late.
I find that attitude disgusting.
Yielding to "inevitability" when that inevitability is WRONG is disgusting.
Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Spirit View Post
I would do this in a heartbeat. Looks like I'm not the only one though because their site says they have more applicants than research panelist positions.

I am under no illusions that I have some sort of expectation of privacy anywhere, let alone on-line - while I always do all of the things we're supposed to to protect ourselves by using "friends only" settings, strong passwords, etc, I've always had the personal policy of never saying or posting anything I am not OK with the whole world reading &/or seeing - so if I can get paid while someone follows my browsing movements, then coolio.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

To me, there is a distinct difference between the availability of information on the internet, which I have no control over, and deliberately allowing a company to track my movements, which I do have control over.

I value what little privacy I do have left. Thus, I would be reluctant to sell the rights to follow my movements on the net at any cost.

It might be an illusion or delusion on my part. But, I do want to retain at the semblence of having some control here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

lol, young people.

Judgmental attitude
+Misinterpretation of my post
+Obvious baiting
+Insults for absolutely no reason
--------------------------------------------
I don't waste my time .....
I just put you on ignore.

Have a great night

Old 02-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #8
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

To me, there is a distinct difference between the availability of information on the internet, which I have no control over, and deliberately allowing a company to track my movements, which I do have control over.

I value what little privacy I do have left. Thus, I would be reluctant to sell the rights to follow my movements on the net at any cost.

It might be an illusion or delusion on my part. But, I do want to retain at the semblence of having some control here.

I have to disagree here, Kobi. A lot of these companies already track our movements through cookies and other trackers. When we go to a website, a cookie attaches itself to our computer, some websites have a very low priority on privacy, and I can't think of many sites that can't be hacked.

I do a lot on-line: I shop, I bank, I sell stuff, I network, etc. I would love to know that what I am doing and where I am going is private, I just hold no illusion - or delusion if you prefer but I tend to think of it more along the lines of the man behind the curtain - that I actually have that kind of privacy.

So I stand by my original post - if a company wants to follow me around and see how many times I go to Amazon or Facebook, or Casual Male XL and how long I spend at each site while 1. I am fully aware of it and 2. they are paying me, then yes, I would sign up.

It sure beats them following me around for free and without my knowledge!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #9
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

take whatever money you can get..........

there is NO privacy..........nada, zip, nothing, no way, not gonna happen, don't make me laugh.....

those 'young people' are correct.........

if you use the internet, credit cards, debit cards, paypal, gmail, aol, yahoo, blah blah blah blah.................your data is collected.............all those bots and spiders in the on line section of this website ARE collecting your data directly from your computer..........
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Spirit View Post
I have to disagree here, Kobi. A lot of these companies already track our movements through cookies and other trackers. When we go to a website, a cookie attaches itself to our computer, some websites have a very low priority on privacy, and I can't think of many sites that can't be hacked.

I do a lot on-line: I shop, I bank, I sell stuff, I network, etc. I would love to know that what I am doing and where I am going is private, I just hold no illusion - or delusion if you prefer but I tend to think of it more along the lines of the man behind the curtain - that I actually have that kind of privacy.

So I stand by my original post - if a company wants to follow me around and see how many times I go to Amazon or Facebook, or Casual Male XL and how long I spend at each site while 1. I am fully aware of it and 2. they are paying me, then yes, I would sign up.

It sure beats them following me around for free and without my knowledge!

I hear you. We can agree to disagree. Cookies can be deleted. And delusions aren't for everyone

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post: