Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Butch Zone

The Butch Zone For all things "Butch"

Old 10-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation
Default "End Game" for butches : )

I made this video today.
I thought it might be funny, and spark a conversation about the particular issues that come up when Butches suddenly have health problems.

http://youtu.be/4G923L6aPyk">http://youtu.be/4G923L6aPyk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G923L6aPyk"]When A Butch Dyke Dies (a series of questions) - YouTube[/nomedia]
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Thanked 7,264 Times in 2,158 Posts
Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation

I hardly find it funny. This raises issues that we may face at any time in our lives.

Can't find my calm voice right yet. Will come back when I can be more composed.

Your YouTube presented this as happening to you. If so, I will send healing energy to you, with your permission of course.

Namaste

Sweet Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,993 Times in 2,596 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

I think these are reasonable things to wonder and worry about. I've been to a butch funeral where the butch was put in a dress and the femme who nursed her through 3 years of cancer wasn't acknowledged at all. I think death planning matters to some more than others, but I would feel more comfortable making and maintaining a plan with those you trust.

As far as the indignities of living under hospital care - I would think being butch would totally compound them. I do wish we had better advocates in hospitals.

I like the "don't die" plan best. But I also try to let my loved ones know my most adamant wishes regarding my own death. (Example: no preachers at my funeral!) Some of us get a heads up and many of us don't - there are things I want clear no matter when things come to an end.

And **hugs** if you'll have them.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl

Last edited by Nat; 10-17-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I see this is in the Butch Zone. Hope you mind our femme perspectives.

For me, I lean the same way Nat does.

1. Make a solid death plan (aka make it legal 'n shit)
2. Communicate said plan to all possible parties
3. Don't die

I think if you work on those things, it may help make the day to day indignities a bit easier to deal with.

Good luck and speedy healing!

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

How very brave of you, thank you for the reminder!

These things came up when my kasey was in the hospital, and they probably come up when other butches face sickness and death. I advocated for my honey but what about others like Nat said who have families that don't get it?

Hmmmm i need to help my butch prepare in case i'm not around....

Be well

Last edited by MsTinkerbelly; 10-17-2013 at 05:12 PM.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Scots_On_The_Rocks

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, them, theirs
Relationship Status:
Owned by a few cats, Loved by one woman, and Looked up to by one child.

Thanked 1,095 Times in 388 Posts
Scots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST Reputation

I understand the intent you were trying to get at, and there were some poignant questions raised in your video. These are all things those of is outside societal and gender norms must face and think about. Not sure I am jiving with your presentation as that it presents those thoughts and struggles in a very diminished and dismissive way, but that is just my take.

So, back to the topic at hand...

As to me, as a male identified butch, I have covered my bases as best I can with a living will, advanced directives and having had many discussions with loved ones about my wishes. And while I am sure all my wishes will be honoured by those in my life, really there is no concrete proof or guarantee that my wishes will be honoured and carried out....but at that point it is really about my last moments being filled with dignity.

Anyhow, I hope that answered your general question.

-Me

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark." ~ Henri Frederic Amiel
Scots_On_The_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scots_On_The_Rocks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
PoeticSilence

How Do You Identify?:
*dodges labels*
Relationship Status:
Estranged

PoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST Reputation

I was recently in the hospital, I don't know if it was a life and death situation, but it definitely was a "we might have to remove your legs" situation and it was serious and painful and tiring. I'd been in the hospital a few years before after a heart attack so I was a little more in control of myself ... but still, it wasn't the same.

I identify as Butch, but I don't identify as male. I should make that clear up front because maybe it makes a difference. I might wear mens clothing and legally changed my name to Ronnie from Ronda, but if you call me Sir on accident I'm not going to flip out, it's just not necessary. I'm a human being and that's enough recognition for me as to who I am. I'm a human being.

My hospital/doctors/nurses recognized my marriage to my wife and included her during conversations and kept her phone number on the pain board in case they needed her.
I wore boxer-briefs during my stay and it wasn't an issue for anyone.
The nurses had trouble wrapping my legs and allowed me to call my wife and then watched her after she drove up there (outside of visiting hours) while she did the wraps and decided she was better at it so they left that part of my care to her.
They never held her to visiting hours and even would have allowed her to stay overnight if she wanted.

I live in Nebraska, which is a very Republican state, and they don't recognize gay marriages still, but you never would have known it with the staff that worked with me. Even my follow-up doctors and therapists worked with my wife. I really feel they considered my dignity and writing this right now, I'm a little ashamed to confess that I haven't even thanked them properly for it, because I know it wasn't the "norm". My wife and I went to a lot of trouble to do what we could to cover our asses legally regarding our marriage, and so far my experience has been that outside of government workers that still have some ... red tape issues ... we are treated like any other couple in nearly every situation we have encountered.

So there is hope. I think you just have to be the one to work a little harder, because others in the past have paved the way.

Last edited by PoeticSilence; 10-17-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Necessary disclaimer
PoeticSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to PoeticSilence For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

Watching the video and reading Nat's post actually made me open up a dialogue with a close, trusted friend of 10 years about being my medical power of attorney and beneficiary of my will and life insurance.

When I was in WA, it was a good friend of mine, but she is in poor health and 2100 miles away, so I set it up to be my sister. But she doesnt really know me, so would my wishes be respected or would something else be done/decided re: my medical, after death, etc decisions?

So after talking with my friend, I am changing over my medical POA (advanced directive) and insurance beneficiary and will executor information to her. She's a good strong femme woman who wont let my family bully her into doing things she knows I wouldnt want (and she'll get rid of my butch "stuff" if necessary )

Incidentally, I have a copy of my medical POA with my medical record at the VA, but I also keep a copy in a lock box at home as well as a copy in my truck should I get into an accident and end up at a non-VA hospital. I also carry an "ICE" form in my wallet with emergency contact info, info about my dogs so that if I am in a hospital someone knows to check on them, info about my medical POA and its location, etc.

Whether we're healthy or sick, these are all things we probably hate thinking about, but things we need to think about - especially as gay people - and most especially as gay people who may live with their significant other in a state or country that does not have marriage equality yet.

If everything is written down and notarized and you have a medical POA and a will, things *should* be done according to your wishes. Hopefully.

Thanks for bringing it up - I feel much better about the person I have chosen to represent me should I become incapacitated.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Thank you for sharing this. It is scary to be in the hospital. Having dealt with Mom, and then immediately after her death, my spouse in the hospital I think the most important thing we can do is have someone there as an advocate. We all need advocates in our medical system!

The body and gender issues were difficult for Greyson. For the most part the staff were very respectful but sometimes they had to be reminded to use the correct pronouns. We went in and talked to all the managers after his stay in a big meeting. It was kind of scary but I am glad we did it and especially that Greyson agreed to share his experience as a Transmasculine butch.

I hope you will come out of your experience healed. Don't die is a great plan!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

I want to die alone. Who wants a bunch of people around just waiting for you to take your last breath? No thanks. I want to die alone in my house. I don't want to die in some noisey hospital with a bunch of IV's in my arm, or a breathing tube down my throat.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,268 Times in 1,633 Posts
TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation

Personally, I don't want a huge funeral. I just want to be cremated and let my ashes fly over the property that my grandparents own and that still belongs to my family members. I am butch but not male identified. I just don't care what happens to my body after I am gone. Mom knows not to put me in a dress, so do both my sisters and my cousins. I've told my mom what I wanted and told my cousins.I need to cover this with my sisters as well.
I just need to get my funeral arrangements paid for to cover the cost of my ashes and stuff, this way no one can change a thing unless THEY are paying for it, and let my family members know where to find papers for my prepaid arrangements and what to do with my ashes after I am gone.

I kinda think everyone should try to have some kind of plan in action thing to take care of things so their loved ones don't have to go through all that stuff.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
Scots_On_The_Rocks

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, them, theirs
Relationship Status:
Owned by a few cats, Loved by one woman, and Looked up to by one child.

Thanked 1,095 Times in 388 Posts
Scots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST Reputation

Seeing as how several have mentioned their after life plans, I wanted to add....that when the day come that the Universe claims my energies back, I want my body cremated and would love to have this done with my ashes: Bios Urn, and I would request a Sequoia, Mountain Huckleberry or a Pacific Madrone, and have the urn "planted" in one of my favourite places

-Me

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark." ~ Henri Frederic Amiel
Scots_On_The_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scots_On_The_Rocks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I don't call it "End Game" just good future planing for myself and faimly bio or other wise.Last year I had a lawyer draw a will up for my request of plands.My son James is my executor of my intire estate,he will become full parent to all my fur kids as they all have formed a huge bond.He also will inherit my full estate lock stock and smokeing barrels,if he passes before me my cousin will take over in the same way.My son knows my wishes incase I get into a veggitative state,we had many a long talk about this cause I know full well how he will fell in doing this cause we did this for my mother.I am to be creamated ,I want a amazon funierl but the law says I can have a pyree burning out in the feilds so I will follow the law to do it leagle.When it's done I have an urn I bought years ago that has the amazon symbols on it for a warrior,leader,parent.I don't wan't a funirel; I want a big party celebrateing life hear an over the bridge.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,268 Times in 1,633 Posts
TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation
Default Just to add a thought as well.............

Just to add another thought on this topic..........
If I am brain dead or need life support to breathe for me... NOT happening.
I"m an Organ Donor, and my family knows this as well as it is on my driver's license in my state and should make sure of that happening.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
Violette

How Do You Identify?:
woman

Violette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST Reputation

First off, a big warm hug to you, Dykeumentary!! I am so sorry you have gone through all of this! Thank you for sharing your video and sparking an important discussion!

Truly, this just came up less than a week ago in my life: what to do in case of serious injury or illness? Who would be my decision maker? Who would speak up for my wishes? I need to make my wishes known, write them down, and share them.

Thankfully, our local hospital is very respectful of all families, however they may present. And you could certainly wear your boxers.

A good reminder to us all!

Oh, yeah! I like the plan of not dying, Dykeumentary!!
Violette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Violette For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
SleepyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Dude
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
Taken

Thanked 11,244 Times in 2,753 Posts
SleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting questions. For me when I die, I don't think that I will care much about what I am buried in even though I would prefer to be in a nice suit. My family knows my preferences and I seriously doubt they would put me in a dress but I do understand some people don't have those kind of loved ones.

I know a lot of people make burial arrangements before they ever plan to leave this earth. That would be an option. Go and talk to a funeral director. Express your wishes. Get that all set up down to what you want to wear.

I personally know a funeral director who teaches students and one of the messages she is trying to convey to them is that funerals should be a celebration of the deceased's life and not just for those that are left behind. This means that if someone wants to wear a suit or a dress, that is there option. If someone wants to play heavy metal music at their funeral even if there family objects, that is what should happen. I hope that for all of our sakes that this is the way of the future.

As far as being in a hospital, a lot of people feel like they lose their dignity during those times, not just Butches but everyone. People being made to wear gowns where their asses are hanging out. Having a catheter in, being poked and prodded at what seems like every second. It's never easy being sick and having to deal with this as well makes it that much worse.

Being a nurse myself I would suggest to just find a nurse/someone you trust and tell her/him your wishes. Hey, I prefer to wear my boxers. Hey, I don't want all of these people around when I'm being examined. It makes me uncomfortable. It is your prerogative to ask. A lot of times, hospitals have pants that you can wear instead of those awful gowns. Ask for them. The worse that could happen is they can say no. Someone around there has to be a patient advocate. All nurses should be even though I know that's not the case. They are all concentrating on getting you over your sickness and not thinking about the fact that you might be uncomfortable. Remind them.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you are going through.

You cannot embrace those things that will not embrace you back.
SleepyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SleepyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
firegal

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Don't let the gal part of my screen name fool ya I,m ALL butch!

1 Highscore

Thanked 11,735 Times in 2,469 Posts
firegal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default ....

This had a a bit of humor in it but also was a reminder of planning ahead.
My lil sis passed away this past February at home surrounded by her wife and me and a few loved ones. It was a reminder to me that we do need to deal with what may happen... To us.....if we choose to.

If we don't the ones that are left behind will have to deal/ make the decisions.

CRAP.... Gotta go quick and clean out THE drawer! Before I go to bed JUST in case!

Serious I do need to plan ahead!
firegal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to firegal For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #18
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruTexan View Post
Just to add another thought on this topic..........
If I am brain dead or need life support to breathe for me... NOT happening.
I"m an Organ Donor, and my family knows this as well as it is on my driver's license in my state and should make sure of that happening.
I am also an organ donor so is my son,If anything I have worth useing can help someone my passing will be even better to know I helped another be healthy to have a better life.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #19
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

if I was to ever be put in the position of making my partners plans.
i would make ABSOLUTELY sure my guy was dressed accordingly and respectfully , NEVER a dress.

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to morningstar55 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #20
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyButch View Post
~snip~

As far as being in a hospital, a lot of people feel like they lose their dignity during those times, not just Butches but everyone. People being made to wear gowns where their asses are hanging out. Having a catheter in, being poked and prodded at what seems like every second. It's never easy being sick and having to deal with this as well makes it that much worse.

Being a nurse myself I would suggest to just find a nurse/someone you trust and tell her/him your wishes. Hey, I prefer to wear my boxers. Hey, I don't want all of these people around when I'm being examined. It makes me uncomfortable. It is your prerogative to ask. A lot of times, hospitals have pants that you can wear instead of those awful gowns. Ask for them. The worse that could happen is they can say no. Someone around there has to be a patient advocate. All nurses should be even though I know that's not the case. They are all concentrating on getting you over your sickness and not thinking about the fact that you might be uncomfortable. Remind them.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you are going through.

I totally agree SleepyButch. Everyone does need an advocate while you are hospitalized or worse. Make sure someone that knows your wishes on how you want to be treated is with you during these times. Also remember that we nurses take an oath to be a patient advocate. I know i have, as i'm sure all nurses here, have stood nose to nose with doctors protecting our patient's privacy, wishes and personal needs. That is something we don't take lightly. Most of us take it seriously.

Talk to your nurse and if you are incapacitated to the point you can't talk, make sure someone you are close to will do that for you. Be open and honest to the staff and if your nurse seems as though they have forgotten why they are a nurse to begin with, ask for the charge nurse, the nurse manager and so on.

Getting someone pants to wear instead of a gown, being called "he" instead of "she", having a partner in the room, should be the easy stuff compared to why you are there to begin with. Stand up for yourself and don't be afraid to demand the respect as a patient that you deserve.

Back in the 80s when being gay wasn't cool (pardon the pun there) it was way more difficult to get hospital peeps to understand where you might be coming from. Today, even though it is still hard at times, it is better understood. Thanks to the people who educate, like Greyson and Julie for example.

Anyway, i ramble on this because i have seen it transform so much over the years. Bottom line....don't be afraid to tell hospital staff, especially your advocate, your nurse, how you EXPECT to be treated. It is your right.

princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:

Tags
butch, health, healthcare