Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Thanked 2,683 Times in 562 Posts
Girl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST Reputation
Default Bitchy Resting Face

"What's the matter?" "Are you okay?" "You should smile more." Ah, the perils of looking chronically pissed off.

Do you have "bitchy resting face" too?

Discuss!

(I especially want to hear what you do when you get the "smile more" request).

Why are people so uncomfortable with a blank/slightly irritated look anyway?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinlarosa/p...nderstand?bffb
Old 04-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
SirenManda

How Do You Identify?:
I don’t want contact.

SirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST ReputationSirenManda Has the BEST Reputation

I don't have bitch resting face, but I give off the "Mean girl" vibe so I've been told. I'm thinking because I'm around other women usually talking about appearances/how people or things look that I give off that impression. I'm not actually shallow, but I could see where if you didn't know me it would come off that way.
SirenManda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SirenManda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2014, 11:55 PM   #3
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,957 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Bitchy resting face here.

Mostly a blessing because people leave me the heck alone, but i hear "what's the matter, and are you okay" alllllll the freaking time.

Unfortunately when i get the "smile more" idiots, i usually tell them to fuck off, or if i can't, i just look them in the eye and say nothing; most just walk off quickly.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Girl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST Reputation

I have the most evil maniacal grin I use to the "smile more" request. It's incredibly annoying. Or my favorite, "I will when you leave."
Old 04-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
The arteest formerly known as musicfemme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Thanked 32,097 Times in 6,125 Posts
candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

Bitchy resting face here. I HATE when strangers tell me I should smile. And if we're being honest, it's usually men who say that and usually women who are on the receiving end of that statement. Seriously, why are we expected to be smiling 24/7? If I am at the drug store (and there just seems to be something about the drug store with this happening)--I am just going about my business. I'm not living in a fucking musical.

When men tell me to smile I usually just give them a dirty look. Sometimes I will outright say no or I don't want to, and I will be totally deadpan about it.

My Patreon

My Website
candy_coated_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_coated_bitch View Post
I'm not living in a fucking musical.
Ha ha! I love that.

I saw this article on why it's not okay to tell women to smile and related to it instantly:

http://www.lovelyish.com/2013/03/14/...omen-to-smile/
Old 04-30-2014, 05:33 AM   #7
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,309 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Men (and I've never had it be anyone other than a man), who tell me to smile when I'm walking down the street engrossed in a serious or sad moment are policing my lapse of decorativeness.

Fuck them.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:53 AM   #8
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I have what I call Bitch Face.... When not smiling people assume I am angry and unhappy. I have actually practiced a face I call "happy relaxed". I was hoping that after a while it would become second nature. (I was sick of people always asking me what was wrong) It didn't stick. I find myself overcompensating by smiling like a maniac all of the time at people... now they just think I am overfriendly.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2014, 06:09 AM   #9
traumaqueen

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
that grrl
Relationship Status:
happily occupied and awfully engaged.

traumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputation

I think we should call it 'mean mug'... Bitchy face isn't doing it for me, but I can relate. If we were guys it'd be called serious face.

But I tend to get this pretty regularly or my personal favorite... 'You look intimidating'...Oh really? Just wait til I actually open my mouth.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:43 PM   #10
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalizingfemme View Post
I have actually practiced a face I call "happy relaxed". I was hoping that after a while it would become second nature.
Ha ha! I thought I was the only one who "rearranged" their face to suit. I, too, have a "happy relaxed face" or at least an "I probably won't kill you if you speak to me face" that I tend to adopt so that others can be around me without feeling uncomfortable.

I really don't mind. It saves me the irritation of explaining that I'm not mad while I get mad because the person won't believe me.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #11
anaisninja

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

anaisninja Has the BEST Reputationanaisninja Has the BEST Reputationanaisninja Has the BEST Reputationanaisninja Has the BEST Reputationanaisninja Has the BEST Reputationanaisninja Has the BEST Reputationanaisninja Has the BEST Reputationanaisninja Has the BEST Reputationanaisninja Has the BEST Reputationanaisninja Has the BEST Reputationanaisninja Has the BEST Reputation

I too suffer from Resting Bitch Face.

I've even looked into cosmetic surgery. Ugh. The things we do to fit in.
anaisninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anaisninja For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #12
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

Since this is a humor thread I'll just say that my smile is a LIE, and that my "outraged old butch battle axe" face is the truth!
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #13
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykeumentary View Post
Since this is a humor thread I'll just say that my smile is a LIE, and that my "outraged old butch battle axe" face is the truth!
I'm dead serious, and i resent you making fun of what has been a life long problem for me. It may be in the fun and fluff section, but i find nothing funny about the rude comments i've endured because i can't walk around with a silly grin in place.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2014, 12:18 AM   #14
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

I can see poking fun at the situation, but it really is a problem. The article Girl_On_Fire posted was spot on I thought. And the motivations behind why men constantly tell women to smile are disturbing when you take the time to think about it.

I do find it incredibly intrusive and annoying, and sometimes I feel vaguely threatened in a way I can't explain. And I SWEAR, this happens to me almost every single time I go to the drug store. I have no idea what it is about that environment.

Depending on the situation, I might try and rearrange my face to look less "bitchy", but for the most part I refuse. Fuck that shit.

My Patreon

My Website
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2014, 11:35 PM   #15
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

You know, I might start another thread if anyone is interested and make this a more serious conversation. I think this is a good topic to talk about in that vein as well. Wasn't sure what direction I wanted this to go in when I started.

Let me know.

Or maybe someone else wants to start one around that article I posted?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #16
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_On_Fire View Post
You know, I might start another thread if anyone is interested and make this a more serious conversation. I think this is a good topic to talk about in that vein as well. Wasn't sure what direction I wanted this to go in when I started.

Let me know.

Or maybe someone else wants to start one around that article I posted?
Wow, i thought this was a serious discussion! Sorry dykeumentary for getting upset with you, it appears you knew much better than I did what was going on here!

I'll step out, so not a funny subject for me.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:17 PM   #17
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Default Here it is

For those of you interested in pursuing a more sober conversation about this topic, I started this thread here:

http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...ead.php?t=7427

I look forward to it!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #18
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

It was my gram's funeral today, and there were lots of old pictures up. Including of us grandkids. (Ok, I know not a funny introduction, but wait for it...) When I saw the ones of me I realized I TOTALLY had a bitchy resting face even as a child. I looked unhappy in all of them.

My Patreon

My Website
The Following User Says Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #19
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_coated_bitch View Post
It was my gram's funeral today, and there were lots of old pictures up. Including of us grandkids. (Ok, I know not a funny introduction, but wait for it...) When I saw the ones of me I realized I TOTALLY had a bitchy resting face even as a child. I looked unhappy in all of them.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Maybe it should be called "realistic face" because unless there is a reason to smile, most people don't. I know some people's natural facial expression looks more approachable but it's not something someone can help. Also, I wonder if the more of a deep thinker the person is, the more BRF they show. Thoughtful and emotional people are often mistaken for rude because they're always hovering between this plane of existence to the next without even realizing it.

Tags
bitchy resting face