cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
What do you think of Bloomberg as the Democratic candidate?

http://www.politico.com/amp/story/20...ocrats-1048159

I can't imagine him getting through the primaries, but if he did, his candidacy might be one that would provoke the "dark_crystal scenario."
Chuck Schumer would also be a great candidate, but unfortunately I think right now when the country thinks of NY, Trump immediately comes to mind. Many people already think all NYers are of similar disposition and trustworthiness as him. Think we need someone that Mid-America can identify with. Not sure who, though.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:24 AM   #22
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,170 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Oh I did not mean to suggest I thought Bloomberg would be a good candidate.

Chuck Schumer pretty much typifies establishment Dem. I think he might tip the progressives over to third part thinking too. I haven't seen signs that he's running.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:23 AM   #23
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,587 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
What do you think of Bloomberg as the Democratic candidate?

http://www.politico.com/amp/story/20...ocrats-1048159

I can't imagine him getting through the primaries, but if he did, his candidacy might be one that would provoke the "dark_crystal scenario."
Bloomberg looks good on a lot of issues as long as you pretend not to notice the gigantic Wall Street monkey on his back.

I think a Bloomberg candidacy would trigger Trump very badly, as Bloomberg has quadruple the wealth Trump claims.

I think it would be interesting, in the case of both Bloomberg and Sanders, to see what the GOP does against a Jewish candidate. In the Obama years, we saw a whole bunch of racism come out of the woodwork that we thought had been exorcised in the 60s.

With a Jewish dem. nominee, will we find out we had vastly underestimated Holocaust deniers (lol yes)? A lot of holocaust denial and general Antisemitism has already emerged under Trump, think how much more would emerge with Trump running against a Jewish billionaire who actually is everything Trump pretends to be-- and Trump's so-called Christianity is the only place he diverges form Bloomberg.

I also looked into Klobuchar. It was not a deep dive (Wikipedia), but she does not seem like she is very far to the left of Clinton. I think running her would be like running Clinton minus the baggage. Maybe that will turn out to be what people want.

One thing i learned about myself over the past 3-4 years is that i do not vote as a progressive or as a centrist, i exclusively vote as A Gay. My choice is always the choice that makes us the safest. This is why i didn't "peel off" last time, despite having rejected every Clinton in every primary they were ever in. It's why i am so worried about a peel-off movement in 2020. Peel-off movements endanger minorities.

As long as you have one huge party that pays lip service to minorities and one huge party that welcomes people who want queers executed, there is going to be a natural ceiling on how far an insurgency from the left can go. We are not going to see a viable third party on the left until minorities feel they can abandon the democratic party without risking their lives.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #24
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
open

cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Oh I did not mean to suggest I thought Bloomberg would be a good candidate.

Chuck Schumer pretty much typifies establishment Dem. I think he might tip the progressives over to third part thinking too. I haven't seen signs that he's running.
Was just thinking of Dems that might have a prayer of a chance in a primary against Biden. Yup, no signs of Schumer running. Just trying to think of a Dem with good PR skills and assertive enough to pull us out of this mess we're in with allies and Russia.

He's fits that bill, but then again so does Schiff. No signs of him running either, but he has made it a point to stay in the public eye. If Bernie runs in any party, Schumer wouldn't run against his buddy anyway.

Biden is the Dems ticket to win. There were a lot of folks that wished the Amendment against 3rd termers didn't exist.

Not saying I would want to vote Dem again. Last election got burned or should say blindsided.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #25
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
open

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
Bloomberg looks good on a lot of issues as long as you pretend not to notice the gigantic Wall Street monkey on his back.

I think a Bloomberg candidacy would trigger Trump very badly, as Bloomberg has quadruple the wealth Trump claims.

I think it would be interesting, in the case of both Bloomberg and Sanders, to see what the GOP does against a Jewish candidate. In the Obama years, we saw a whole bunch of racism come out of the woodwork that we thought had been exorcised in the 60s.

With a Jewish dem. nominee, will we find out we had vastly underestimated Holocaust deniers (lol yes)? A lot of holocaust denial and general Antisemitism has already emerged under Trump, think how much more would emerge with Trump running against a Jewish billionaire who actually is everything Trump pretends to be-- and Trump's so-called Christianity is the only place he diverges form Bloomberg.

I also looked into Klobuchar. It was not a deep dive (Wikipedia), but she does not seem like she is very far to the left of Clinton. I think running her would be like running Clinton minus the baggage. Maybe that will turn out to be what people want.

One thing i learned about myself over the past 3-4 years is that i do not vote as a progressive or as a centrist, i exclusively vote as A Gay. My choice is always the choice that makes us the safest. This is why i didn't "peel off" last time, despite having rejected every Clinton in every primary they were ever in. It's why i am so worried about a peel-off movement in 2020. Peel-off movements endanger minorities.

As long as you have one huge party that pays lip service to minorities and one huge party that welcomes people who want queers executed, there is going to be a natural ceiling on how far an insurgency from the left can go. We are not going to see a viable third party on the left until minorities feel they can abandon the democratic party without risking their lives.
Which minority group do we endanger this time around?
The right is poised for a big leap at the country.
Anyone hear something about a left wing insurgency?

Maybe we can get the Fourth International possibility resurrected again (wishful thinking on my part).
Old 12-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #26
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I haven't done a deep dive on either Castro, but here in Texas they are seen as Mexican Betos. Bullock seems ok but not exciting.
Both Castros will be on Colbert this Thursday
Old 12-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #27
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

CNN is talking about Julian Castro. In passing, one woman said there were going to be 31 Democrats running. Wow.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #28
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Alexander Bolton, The Hill: Trump shock leaves Republicans anxious over 2019

Republican lawmakers are struggling to coordinate their message with President Trump heading into a divided Congress after he pulled the rug out from them once again by declaring he would be “proud” to shut down the government.

Trump shocked Republicans, who were preparing to blame Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) for a potential partial shutdown, when he said he would take sole responsibility for shuttering federal agencies if Congress doesn’t meet his demand for $5 billion in wall funding.

<snip>

Trump’s theatrics left GOP lawmakers dumbfounded, and they pressed Vice President Pence at a Tuesday lunch for an explanation of Trump’s off-script swerve.

But Pence could only tell GOP lawmakers that “it was an interesting conversation,” according to senators in the room.

When asked what the president’s game plan was to get out of what many GOP lawmakers see as a blind alley, Pence told senators that a solution has yet to emerge.

It’s been conventional wisdom in Washington since the shutdown battles of the mid-1990s that the party seen at fault suffers the most political damage.

“It doesn’t help with the messaging because we’ve spent the last 20 years trying to figure out how not to get labeled with the blame for a shutdown,” said one Republican senator.

<snip>

Senate Republicans said coordination with the White House will be especially important in the 116th Congress because Trump will be at the top of the ballot in 2020, when the GOP will have to defend 22 seats in the upper chamber — more than twice as many as in 2018.

“The backlash against Trump could be even bigger with him on the ballot, even though it was big in this last election,” said a second GOP senator, who pointed to the Democrats’ dominance in suburban areas in last month’s midterm elections.

How certain do we feel that Trump will be at the top of the 2020 Ticket? What if it's Pence?

Sanders Vs Pence, Biden Vs Pence, Harris vs Pence, Beto vs Pence, Castro vs Pence

I feel like any one of them could make his head explode.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #29
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathexis View Post
CThink we need someone that Mid-America can identify with. Not sure who, though.
I feel like Bernie should have some appeal, but it seems like Bullock could also do well in Iowa
Old 12-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #30
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

Dear God... I hope not! For the sake of the party and the country... she needs to ride off into the sunset and be done with elected office.

Quote:
I know Hillary is considering a run.
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #31
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Both Castros will be on Colbert this Thursday
All i can find to say about their appearance on Colbert is that they were very cute
Old 12-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #32
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,151 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

We always shred ourselves and each other looking for the perfect, pure candidate. We do such a good job that the conservatives don't have to do much to scoop up a win. They just show up looking coherent and well dressed while our people are still staggering up, trying to wipe up the mud we've slung at each other, and then our opportunity is gone. 'Perfect' is the enemy of 'good'. That said, I have my doubts about the below candidates we've been discussing.

Michael Bloomberg, Chuck Schumer, Bernie Sanders, and almost but not quite Cory Booker.

All of the above have one thing in common. They're from NYC, just like Trump. In Booker's case he's from one state away, (NJ), where a huge number of citizens commute to their NYC jobs.

I'm a native New Yorker, and I think it's a bad idea for the Dems to nominate a New Yorker for Pres on this round. I think everyone is about done with it, but I may be misreading the US electorate. I also think that there are some things that work regionally that WILL NOT PLAY in Peoria. Like Bloomberg's nasal whine. Yes, I think the US is so rife with anti-semitism now that a wealthy Jewish candidate would be an impossible sell. I wish I were wrong, but I doubt it. Bloomberg, Schumer and Sanders all have Jewish heritage.

*Bloomberg became a Republican to run for Mayor of NYC and was responsible for the incredibly racist, damaging, and unconstitutional stop-and-frisk policy that ended up terrorizing our young black men city-wide. He has so many other vulnerabilities as a candidate that I'm having trouble believing anyone would take him seriously. Is anyone prepared to support an extraordinarily wealthy candidate who proposed a law, (in a whiny voice), outlawing large sized soft drinks as a way to combat obesity, for instance? Not to mention that the credibility of the Democratic Party would evaporate with people of color because of Bloomberg's legacy in racist mass incarceration.

*Chuck Schumer is the very definition of slippery political insider. No, no, and HELL NO. He functions well where he is, and would be lost on the campaign trail. And he's boring. He knows how to wring concessions and get his agenda passed in the legislature. Period. Don't enact the Peter Principle.

*Bernie Sanders is too old for this job! Are you effing kidding me? PS-so are Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton. I don't care how charming Sanders and Biden are now, or how supremely overqualified, (except for that pesky vagina of her's), Clinton is. They would be in their eighties for the second term. That ship has sailed.

Cory Booker is a native of NJ, and I could support him, I think. See above- 'perfect' vs 'good'. I admire him for a great many things and disagree with him on a few. He seems to have what it takes except for experience, but at this point I'm not nearly as hung up on that as I once was.

I still think it's time for someone who isn't from the New York area. Someone with manners, please. Trump was our embarrassing village idiot since his coke and disco days. I'm so embarrassed and sickened by his antics every day. Many Americans share my feelings on that subject. Because of that, I think anything that looks like 'New Yorkness' will be an even less attractive trait by 2020.

That said, I'm voting for the 2020 Democratic nominee no matter who it is.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #33
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Elizabeth Breunig, Opinion, Washington Post: My advice to progressives: Don’t back down
So much of centrist-Democrat fantasizing about 2020 already seems aimed at repeating a golden past. Consider the groundswell of interest in Beto O’Rourke, the Texas congressman who narrowly lost his recent Senate race against Sen. Ted Cruz. For Democrats excited about O’Rourke, his primary draw is his similarity to Barack Obama — both in form and content. O’Rourke has held conversations with the former president about a possible run, to build on a belief that O’Rourke, as my colleague Matt Viser described it, is “capable of the same kind of inspirational campaign that caught fire in the 2008 presidential election.”

O’Rourke’s politics also fall into the same ambiguously centrist zone as Obama’s. “Like Mr. Obama as he entered the 2008 campaign, Mr. O’Rourke can be difficult to place on an ideological spectrum, allowing supporters to project their own politics onto a messaging palette of national unity and common ground,” a recent New York Times report observed . Meanwhile, other candidates straight from Obama’s orbit — such as former vice president Joe Biden and former housing secretary Julián Castro — are also eyeing the nomination, with appeals to unity and centrist perspectives.

When not absorbed in hopes of re-creating the Obama era, Democrats mainly seem intent on beating Trump, with little comment or insight, at least so far, on what they will do with power once they have it. (After I questioned in my last column whether O’Rourke has demonstrated serious commitment to progressive values, some readers responded by arguing they’re glad he hasn’t — that Democrats need to run an Obama-style centrist to win back conservatives who might otherwise favor Trump. “A too-progressive Democratic nominee in 2020,” one reader wrote, “would be a gift to President Trump.”)

If all the Democrats can manage is to hark back to the past and focus on winning for its own sake, they’re missing an opportunity to lay out a blueprint for the future. I don’t think that putting forth progressive priorities is incompatible with beating Trump; in fact, I think that having a clear and persuasive vision of what a better America can look like is likely to be more attractive to voters than promising them something vaguely like the past.
I just don't see Beto beating Trump, and i don't see him having much of an economic platform at all. My mind keeps seeing him skateboarding and that is who he is to me. And i say this as someone who was bombarded by all things Beto all summer
Old 12-26-2018, 05:32 AM   #34
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Rolling Stone magazine's list of potential Democratic candidates

Nothing on Earth could compel me to vote for Booker or Kerry. There may be some worse candidates on the list, but I don't know them all. I would campaign for a third party candidate if either Booker or Kerry got the nomination.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #35
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default on my mind, lately...

Something that I think is worthwhile to think about is the type of candidate, preferably a candidate who can combine a powerhouse of solid members who will commit to steering the US toward better social policy and committed to restructuring the economy by shoring up Labor policy because the economy is tanking under a variety of pressures created and exacerbated by the current administration.

Also, worth thinking about: How will any candidate seeking office deal with the fall-out over immigration policy and the treatment of those who seek a better life in the US due to horrific and life threatening situations in progress?

And, last but not least, another thing I've been thinking about: There's an awful lot of global upheaval and unrest due to turbulent changes in other global societies, as well as social upheaval and unrest in our own country. I don't know what type of things to question appropriately, given the type of political and social climate of today, but I feel compelled to think about these types of things due to political and social unrest.

My eldest brother is an long-time federal employee with the USFS. He has to file for unemployment, since this federal agency is part of the greater federal agencies under attack by the current administration. I often wonder if you-know-who has been silently, with help by crooked, heartless members in the current administration, undermining agencies established by the Rooseveltian social policy of the Post-Depression era.

I keep thinking that it is super important that we as a country need to shore up and protect social agency's affected by the upheaval committed against them by the current administration (….).

I'm also worried about Supreme Court Justice, RBG and the Supreme Court Justice system as a whole. How can we as a country have an independent arm of the Justice system if the SCJ bench is representative of repressive forms of 'justice'??? I am still upset over the placement of Kava-Not to the US Supreme Court.

The proverbial clock is ticking and two years from now, will be here soon.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #36
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

NBC News: Inside Bernie-world's war on Beto O'Rourke, By Jonathan Allen and Alex Seitz-Wald

WASHINGTON — Forces loyal to Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders are waging an increasingly public war against Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke, the new darling of Democratic activists, as the two men weigh whether to seek the party's presidential nomination in 2020.

The main line of attack against O'Rourke is that he isn't progressive enough — that he's been too close to Republicans in Congress, too close to corporate donors and not willing enough to use his star power to help fellow Democrats — and it is being pushed almost exclusively by Sanders supporters online and in print.

It's been the first flashpoint in what promises to be a politically bloody primary.

[snip]

O'Rourke's ability to connect with younger and progressive white voters — Sanders' source of strength in his losing 2016 primary against Hillary Clinton — puts him in direct competition with the Vermont senator.

[snip]

Sanders supporters insist there's nothing coordinated about the attacks on O'Rourke and note Sanders himself and his top allies have said nothing about O'Rourke. Sanders' is an unusually decentralized political world, with a loose collection of activists and operatives who often take actions without direction or approval from any central authority. But they acknowledge that there's increasing public examination of his record.

It started with David Sirota, a liberal activist and journalist who worked for Sanders many years ago. In a long tweetstorm, Sirota noted that O'Rourke had received more donations from the oil and gas industry than any candidate in the 2018 cycle other than Cruz.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

My fear of this type of thing right here is where i started this thread. Sanders has my primary vote this time same as last time, but we do not need to attack the cuddly skater boy. Beto already has all the rope he is going to need to hang himself, in his voluntary association with the establishment wing of the party, and Sanders supporters have a bad reputation.

I personally believe that bad reputation is an artifact of Russian interference, but i think the best thing for the candidate would be if everyone takes the extreme high road until after Iowa at least.

Newsweek: BIDEN DOESN'T WANT TO HEAR MILLENNIALS COMPLAIN: 'GIVE ME A BREAK,'
BY SUMMER MEZA

Millennials who think that times are tough in 2018 have no room to complain, according to former Vice President Joe Biden, who said that he had “no empathy” for young people who compared today to the struggles of the 1960s.

“The younger generation now tells me how tough things are—give me a break,” said Biden, while speaking to Patt Morrison of the Los Angeles Times to promote his new book. “No, no, I have no empathy for it, give me a break.”

Biden compared the complaints of millennials to what he experienced growing up in the 1960s and '70s, mentioning the civil rights and women’s liberation movements that were gaining traction simultaneously with the Vietnam War, making the United States a troubling place for young activists at the time.
NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE. That is the oldest tiredest baby boomer shit i have ever heard and i have now changed my mind about Uncle Joe and i don't care how sweet he was on Colbert.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:00 PM   #37
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
open

Quote:
NBC News: Inside Bernie-world's war on Beto O'Rourke, By Jonathan Allen and Alex Seitz-Wald

WASHINGTON — Forces loyal to Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders are waging an increasingly public war against Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke, the new darling of Democratic activists, as the two men weigh whether to seek the party's presidential nomination in 2020.

The main line of attack against O'Rourke is that he isn't progressive enough — that he's been too close to Republicans in Congress, too close to corporate donors and not willing enough to use his star power to help fellow Democrats — and it is being pushed almost exclusively by Sanders supporters online and in print.

It's been the first flashpoint in what promises to be a politically bloody primary.

[snip]

O'Rourke's ability to connect with younger and progressive white voters — Sanders' source of strength in his losing 2016 primary against Hillary Clinton — puts him in direct competition with the Vermont senator.

[snip]

Sanders supporters insist there's nothing coordinated about the attacks on O'Rourke and note Sanders himself and his top allies have said nothing about O'Rourke. Sanders' is an unusually decentralized political world, with a loose collection of activists and operatives who often take actions without direction or approval from any central authority. But they acknowledge that there's increasing public examination of his record.

It started with David Sirota, a liberal activist and journalist who worked for Sanders many years ago. In a long tweetstorm, Sirota noted that O'Rourke had received more donations from the oil and gas industry than any candidate in the 2018 cycle other than Cruz.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

My fear of this type of thing right here is where i started this thread. Sanders has my primary vote this time same as last time, but we do not need to attack the cuddly skater boy. Beto already has all the rope he is going to need to hang himself, in his voluntary association with the establishment wing of the party, and Sanders supporters have a bad reputation.

I personally believe that bad reputation is an artifact of Russian interference, but i think the best thing for the candidate would be if everyone takes the extreme high road until after Iowa at least.

Newsweek: BIDEN DOESN'T WANT TO HEAR MILLENNIALS COMPLAIN: 'GIVE ME A BREAK,'
BY SUMMER MEZA

Millennials who think that times are tough in 2018 have no room to complain, according to former Vice President Joe Biden, who said that he had “no empathy” for young people who compared today to the struggles of the 1960s.

“The younger generation now tells me how tough things are—give me a break,” said Biden, while speaking to Patt Morrison of the Los Angeles Times to promote his new book. “No, no, I have no empathy for it, give me a break.”

Biden compared the complaints of millennials to what he experienced growing up in the 1960s and '70s, mentioning the civil rights and women’s liberation movements that were gaining traction simultaneously with the Vietnam War, making the United States a troubling place for young activists at the time.
NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE. That is the oldest tiredest baby boomer shit i have ever heard and i have now changed my mind about Uncle Joe and i don't care how sweet he was on Colbert.
Biden is correct. Those of us who were actually fighting the battles of those 60s-70s that are so readily dismissed know how rough it was. What I am reading is an attempt to smooth the creases by using terms like "civil rights," "women's liberation," and "Vietnam War." Tell it like it was, race wars where activists were getting killed often for merely registering voters, the fight to legalize abortion and Equal Rights Amendment where women and lgbtq were being assaulted on a regular basis, and the Anti-War Movement where you had thousands of people in the streets protesting a conflict, we had no business involved in, that had the daily deaths tallied by Walter Cronkite each night at 6. Young men were having to escape the country to stay safe or even alive. The draft, where a simple paper burning could get a man beat up or worse.

Today's struggles don't even hold a match, let alone a candle, to what was happening during that period. It was not the romantic time of purple haze and flower children that some remember, the times were really tough.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:08 PM   #38
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,265 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Bravo Cathexis!
I am so tired of people thinking that they are fighting a battle from Square One and ignoring the blood, courage, determination, and , frankly, remarkably intelligent genius that came before.

Bring on your inspiring leaders, those who can lead us into the future with great ideas. Till then admire with great gratitude those who could do that and did.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #39
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathexis View Post
Biden is correct. Those of us who were actually fighting the battles of those 60s-70s that are so readily dismissed know how rough it was. What I am reading is an attempt to smooth the creases by using terms like "civil rights," "women's liberation," and "Vietnam War." Tell it like it was, race wars where activists were getting killed often for merely registering voters, the fight to legalize abortion and Equal Rights Amendment where women and lgbtq were being assaulted on a regular basis, and the Anti-War Movement where you had thousands of people in the streets protesting a conflict, we had no business involved in, that had the daily deaths tallied by Walter Cronkite each night at 6. Young men were having to escape the country to stay safe or even alive. The draft, where a simple paper burning could get a man beat up or worse.

Today's struggles don't even hold a match, let alone a candle, to what was happening during that period. It was not the romantic time of purple haze and flower children that some remember, the times were really tough.
Mr. Jenny went to jail in bar raids, and her family were not allowed in her hometown's drug store or the burger joint until 1973, because Jim Crow lasted into my lifetime down here, and applied to Mexicans, too.

Minorities like us faced brutality, but Joe Biden's share of that struggle was selected from a place of privilege. Our blood is not his to claim.

The economic struggles that millennials face now, that they did not select, are likewise not his to dismiss. And even if ya'll are correct, and Millennials aren't deserving of empathy, what kind of candidate says that out loud? Take it from an X-er, 60s nostalgia has a very limited appeal.

Boomers like Joe Biden could pay for college off a summer job sacking groceries-- they didn't have to take on a lifetime of debt to attend college, and they didn't face bankruptcy over medical bills. They didn't need gofundme to get chemo.

Boomers were able to retire. Millenials won't have that.

In the 1960s a high school graduate could own a home and support a family of four all by themselves. Now there is no city where the minimum wage will cover an apartment.

Their moms stayed home. Their parents stayed married.

Our incarceration rate has tripled.

Our war now is even stupider than Vietnam, it's just less culturally painful because not so many white kids are going-- and i say this as someone who is watching her father die of Agent Orange exposure.

The draft saved as many lives as it destroyed-- the draft was what drove the protests that made the war unpopular. Our current wars can continue indefinitely precisely because the kids of the privileged aren't at risk.

If life was so much harder in the 1960s, why is there a 30% increase in suicide since 2000-- largely among boomers?
Old 12-28-2018, 09:28 PM   #40
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0LLETTE View Post
Bravo Cathexis!
I am so tired of people thinking that they are fighting a battle from Square One and ignoring the blood, courage, determination, and , frankly, remarkably intelligent genius that came before.

Bring on your inspiring leaders, those who can lead us into the future with great ideas. Till then admire with great gratitude those who could do that and did.
We’re not going to get anywhere by telling half the population that their experience means nothing bc they missed the Summer of Love. Nobody under age 60 was old enough to participate in “the real struggle.” Scoffing at people who had the audacity to be born in the 70s does not drive turnout. Or are we thinking we can beat Trump without the 18-34 (or 48! I’m 48 and y’all are going all “you damn kids” on me) vote?

Tags
2020, election